+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pre-Paid Legal | Is this really legal?

I found scam.com when I was doing a google search for http://www.greatcareeroption.com/ which is where I was referred by James Derflinger, an associate member of http://www.prepaidlegal.com/. However, Mr. Derflinger did not direct me directly to the first URL. Instead he told me to visit http://www.idtheftrestoration.net/ which will direct you to http://www.greatcareeroption.com/never_before.wmv.

For the last two months I, and a good friend of mine, were harassed by some IBO's from Quixtar. Now, yes, I realize, Quixtar is actually responsible for making quite a few people wealthy. But anyone that knows what a shape of a pyramid looks like, knows that the people on the bottom are supporting the few people on the top. Now, remember, it's a pyramid, not a triangle. Most often when people imagine a pyramid scheme, they picture a two dimensional triangle. When you realize the geometry of a pyramid you realize exponentially how many more people it takes to support the top tier.

Regardless, I'm just afraid that this Pre-Paid Legal service is something of a MLM like Quixtar. Only because the first thing I was told to do was watch a movie, schedule an interview, make millions, oh and by the way, it'll be a small fee of $49 for your first four hours of training.

Where is the $49 going? No one in the corporate world would even give 30 minutes of training for $49, let alone 4 hours! So, if anyone knows anything about Pre-Paid Legal, or has talked to James Derflinger or any other associate members, or perhaps you watched the wmv file and have some input, I would love to hear it!

Cheers,

Mindtron

Re: Pre-Paid Legal | Is this really legal?

We used to have one of their shills on the board. He called himself thebrowncow but I think he quit when he wasn't pulling in "recruits".

Hahahahahahah one of the GoooooooooogleAds on my post was "Pre Paid Legal Leads"

Thank God for Firefox! I haven't seen any ads in over a year!

Quote Originally Posted by mindtron
    I found scam.com when I was doing a google search for http://www.greatcareeroption.com/ which is where I was referred by James Derflinger, an associate member of http://www.prepaidlegal.com/. However, Mr. Derflinger did not direct me directly to the first URL. Instead he told me to visit http://www.idtheftrestoration.net/ which will direct you to http://www.greatcareeroption.com/never_before.wmv.

For the last two months I, and a good friend of mine, were harassed by some IBO's from Quixtar. Now, yes, I realize, Quixtar is actually responsible for making quite a few people wealthy. But anyone that knows what a shape of a pyramid looks like, knows that the people on the bottom are supporting the few people on the top. Now, remember, it's a pyramid, not a triangle. Most often when people imagine a pyramid scheme, they picture a two dimensional triangle. When you realize the geometry of a pyramid you realize exponentially how many more people it takes to support the top tier.

Regardless, I'm just afraid that this Pre-Paid Legal service is something of a MLM like Quixtar. Only because the first thing I was told to do was watch a movie, schedule an interview, make millions, oh and by the way, it'll be a small fee of $49 for your first four hours of training.

Where is the $49 going? No one in the corporate world would even give 30 minutes of training for $49, let alone 4 hours! So, if anyone knows anything about Pre-Paid Legal, or has talked to James Derflinger or any other associate members, or perhaps you watched the wmv file and have some input, I would love to hear it!

Cheers,

Mindtron
    It is a MLM that is based on prepaying for legal services. I have 2 clients who have in the past subscribed to prepaid legal.

Would I advise a client to do it? NO. What I have found is that the attorney they have contracted with to provide the services, are more interested in doing away with the "issue" before them quickly or selling additional legal services that are not covered by agreement.

I recommend that the two clients I have how still have some prepaid legal outstanding use them for very simple contract review etc.

Rom12-2 is offline Bronze Scams Member User Rank

Of course this is not illegal, OP... :confused:

The product itself, however, is pretty worthless. You get what you pay for, which is not much "pre-paid legal".

As previously stated, the contracted attorneys don't do much to assist whatsoever, and their contract review is, IMO, a joke.

The real problem is the way this is sold, with the same old hype stories that have been circulating for years. It is made to sound like a life-saving beauty of a product for many. By the very limited contract of services that it actually is, it can't help many do much...

Mindtron

Most of the contributors on this site have been soured on mlms. Direct marketing is not for everyone.

But anyone that knows what a shape of a pyramid looks like, knows that the people on the bottom are supporting the few people on the top. Now, remember, it's a pyramid, not a triangle. Most often when people imagine a pyramid scheme, they picture a two dimensional triangle. When you realize the geometry of a pyramid you realize exponentially how many more people it takes to support the top tier.
    The pyramid structure models corporate. The guys on the bottom don't have a snow balls chance to exceed the income earnigns of the levels above him. Yes, PPL is a mlm company. However, you have every chance of exceeding the income of the person that recruited you. That all depends on how active you are.

The $49 dollar fee is not where the company earns is profits. They earn profits from the plans that are sold.

Would I advise a client to do it? NO. What I have found is that the attorney they have contracted with to provide the services, are more interested in doing away with the "issue" before them quickly or selling additional legal services that are not covered by agreement.

CPA4, you have been either misinformed or misunderstand the coverage.
    PrePaid Legal intent is to remove the clock from the table so people have access to good legal advice. Resolving an "issue" quickly is the point. If the "issue" requires more that a letter or phone call, then additional services are available at a 25% discount. This was never intended to cover 100% of all fees in all legal issues. The plan is similar to an health HMO. Most of the ordinary, day to day issues are covered under the plan, while other services are available at a discount.

I recommend that the two clients I have how still have some prepaid legal outstanding use them for very simple contract review etc
    You do see the value of the service.

The product itself, however, is pretty worthless. You get what you pay for, which is not much "pre-paid legal".

As previously stated, the contracted attorneys don't do much to assist whatsoever, and their contract review is, IMO, a joke.
    Rom12-2, You also have been either misinformed or misunderstand the coverage.

I throughly research all the legal plans out there. I found this one to offer the most comrehensive plan. I loved the product so much that I became an associate. I call the Law firm (AV rated) regularly (at least 2X per month) for advice and contract review. I am currently fighting a speeding ticket and an Attorney will accompany me to court next month. Get what I paid for? I got more that I expected and am thrilled with the service. Lets see $312 per year, or $300 per hour.

One quick personal story: I had an issue at work and decided to consult the attorney about asking for a "package". I found out that I could not be fired or harassed if they turn me down. I never would have had the eggs to go in and ask because I was afraid of the repercussions. That information I received from the attorney empowered me to go ask my boss for a package. What I got was a promotion and a 12% raise.

Mindtron,

Research the company and the product for yourself. There is more information out there other than this site. Go to a presentation of the product and the opportuntity and decide for yourself. Remember one very important thing, direct marketing is NOT for everyone.

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary
    Mindtron

Most of the contributors on this site have been soured on mlms. Direct marketing is not for everyone.

The pyramid structure models corporate. The guys on the bottom don't have a snow balls chance to exceed the income earnigns of the levels above him. Yes, PPL is a mlm company. However, you have every chance of exceeding the income of the person that recruited you. That all depends on how active you are.

The $49 dollar fee is not where the company earns is profits. They earn profits from the plans that are sold.

PrePaid Legal intent is to remove the clock from the table so people have access to good legal advice. Resolving an "issue" quickly is the point. If the "issue" requires more that a letter or phone call, then additional services are available at a 25% discount. This was never intended to cover 100% of all fees in all legal issues. The plan is similar to an health HMO. Most of the ordinary, day to day issues are covered under the plan, while other services are available at a discount.

You do see the value of the service.

I throughly research all the legal plans out there. I found this one to offer the most comrehensive plan. I loved the product so much that I became an associate. I call the Law firm (AV rated) regularly (at least 2X per month) for advice and contract review. I am currently fighting a speeding ticket and an Attorney will accompany me to court next month. Get what I paid for? I got more that I expected and am thrilled with the service. Lets see $312 per year, or $300 per hour.

One quick personal story: I had an issue at work and decided to consult the attorney about asking for a "package". I found out that I could not be fired or harassed if they turn me down. I never would have had the eggs to go in and ask because I was afraid of the repercussions. That information I received from the attorney empowered me to go ask my boss for a package. What I got was a promotion and a 12% raise.

Mindtron,

Research the company and the product for yourself. There is more information out there other than this site. Go to a presentation of the product and the opportuntity and decide for yourself. Remember one very important thing, direct marketing is NOT for everyone.

Rosemary
    "Soured On MLMs" here. But how 'bout if I shock everyone and do NOT say a discouraging word about PPL? Here goes: I honestly can't comment intelligently on the quality of the product/service, having never had a use for it. However, this company has several things going for it...as an MLM. 1) They truly do have a unique, exclusive product/service. You can't go to 7-11 and buy this. That's a big plus for reps, and critical for success in my mind. 2) They are one of the most stable, proven companies in the industry...they are not crashing and burning next week, I don't think. That's another big plus.

Not for me, because I am "Soured On MLMs", and also because to me, it's just another insurance product...and I would have no interest in selling ANY insurance product. But I can see the sense in this one, from a product and company standpoint, anyway. If you're gonna do it, this wouldn't be a bad place to look, IMHO.

And no, I have never been associated with this firm in any way, and don't know anyone personally who is.

Open?

Thank you. I know you had a bad experience and that mlms & direct marketing are not for you. I also know that you are looking for something. Have you considered getting a multi-family apartment near your local hospital?

Thanks
    Ro

"Have you considered getting a multi-family apartment near your local hospital?"
    Perchance you would care to explain that one?? Maybe I'm a little dense.

Open?

Well, I don't want to be too presumptuous, but it is obvious that you are looking for options to improve your $$$ status. (Aren't we all?) Purchasing a multi-family apartment near a hospital maybe a decent option. What is the housing market like in your area? Has the bubble burst yet in your area? If housing is still affordable, then a multi-family will provide you with enough $$ to cover the mortgage and in time, give you a little bit above the mortgage payment. Eventually, you can take that equity and do it all over again. Why choose a house near your local hospital? People who work in hospitals often want an apartment nearby, so they can get in quickly in case of emergencies. And you are best with a professional renting from you - less hassles. Stay away from the section 8 renter, being a slum load really is a lot of hassle.

I love investing in Real Estate! However, it can be risky. Research this throughly before making the commitment. Buy after the bubble bursts not before.

Ro

Rom12-2 is offline Bronze Scams Member User Rank

Thank you for your false assumptions. The product is pretty useless and the legal services are without question - lacking. I suppose I could state that YOU are misinformed or don't understand the coverage.

Whether this plan is one of the most comprehnsive does not make any difference as to the cost of tea in China. You simply look at what it offers, how much it costs, and whether there is any bang to the buck. There isn't. Yes, if someone really wants this coverage and compares it to the rest available, then it may be the best available. That still doesn't turn mud into diamonds.

You simply look at what it offers, how much it costs, and whether there is any bang to the buck. There isn't. Yes, if someone really wants this coverage and compares it to the rest available, then it may be the best available. That still doesn't turn mud into diamonds.
    It bears repeating: $312 per year, or $300 per hour.

Rom12-2, You have a lot of negative things to say about the product, yet you have said nothing at all. Exactly what is your complaint?

Rosemary

I have been neither misinformed or misunderstand.

I understand the product very well, you would not believe the number of times I have had someone approach me about it for my clients.

My opinion is that while it is not a scam, it is a service that I find useless at best.

You can differ in your opinion, but here in the real world, legal issues are not handled quickly and when you try to handle them quickly usually something is missed.

Keep on selling your prepaid legal services, but don't attempt to sell it as something it is not.

Well, I don't want to be too presumptuous, but it is obvious that you are looking for options to improve your $$$ status. (Aren't we all?) Purchasing a multi-family apartment near a hospital maybe a decent option. What is the housing market like in your area? Has the bubble burst yet in your area? If housing is still affordable, then a multi-family will provide you with enough $$ to cover the mortgage and in time, give you a little bit above the mortgage payment. Eventually, you can take that equity and do it all over again. Why choose a house near your local hospital? People who work in hospitals often want an apartment nearby, so they can get in quickly in case of emergencies. And you are best with a professional renting from you - less hassles. Stay away from the section 8 renter, being a slum load really is a lot of hassle.
    I love investing in Real Estate! However, it can be risky. Research this throughly before making the commitment. Buy after the bubble bursts not before.
    Gotcha. I have wanted to learn how to invest in real estate, but I fear I have proven to be a pretty "slow study" in that area. The market in our area is interesting. Values remain high, but home sales are getting somewhat sluggish. I'd say the bubble has not yet burst, correct? But I do thank you for the good advice. There is indeed a hospital not far from me, but homes in our area go for $300k and up generally, so I don't know how many RENTAL properties there area around. Hey, I'm not dead yet, so perhaps I'll take a chance before I keel over.

tigercity Guest

I have to jump here on this one. The Pre Paid Legal Services
    Membership ( IMO ) is an incredible resource AND value. I've
    been a member now 8 years. I wouldn't be without it. It's
    saved my tail at least a 1/2 dozen times in some serious financial
    issues like real estate lawsuits ( someone mentioned R.E.) to the
    smaller day-to-day issues like traffic tickets ( unknowingly
    driving under suspended license ) to over charges from companies
    that wouldn't honor refunds and product replacements.

And yes, I am an Associate in PPL but have not actively worked
    the business for almost 2 years. I mostly wanted the service. The
    money was just a bonus.

For those of you who argue that PPL doesn't give value, try
    getting prompt ( same day ) attention on any legal matter from
    a law firm out of the yellow pages. It won't happen often, if at
    all. They'll all scream "Retainer Please".