+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cars.com scam

Selling a car on cars. dot.com scam

Selling my sons car on internet has opened a flood of scam artists trying to buy it with certified checks, with extra money for me to pay the shipper, like in Poland? Couple of emails were different emails with the same phone which does not exist...and after I replied to one of them with a 1000 bucks more for the car, this morning they will go the 1000 bucks plus 200 for my time in sending the extra 3800 to the shipper after cashing the check...they don't give up...of course by now we all know the check would bounce but not until you have sent the money you think you have in the bank...which now ???

If someone asks, I will post the reply to them along with their layest reply this morning!!!

tinkertoy

cars.com scam

Almost scammed by someone calling themselves Agvaard A..... wanted to discuss the details with him on the phone but, unfortunately he had a trachea operation just two weeks before and could not speak correctly (how sad!). He sent me pictures of the car (which looked way too clean) and upon zooming in I noticed dealer marks on the windshield providing completely different info then what he gave me.

This deal sounded way too good to be true...

2001 Lexus IS 300
    27K miles
    $8,000
    VIN JTHBD182410021426

He was really ademant about using SquareTrade.com

BEWARE!!!!

cars.com scammers at it again

Hey guys, Im just wondering what you all think about this particular situation. I am of course, writing about an ad on cars.com that is asking for an extemely low price on a 2000 BMW with 42k ($5,000). After reading the other posts, the response from the seller is very similar.. Theres a long sob story about why they're selling the car, etc etc. However he also writes this:

" I have a friend at the shipping company who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is from me to pay for shipping it. When I will shipp it, I will declare it as a gift so that you will pay no customs when you will receive it and for this it will be delivered directly to your address. I don't want to get rich by its selling, just want to give it to someone who will take good care. From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay. I prefer the payment to be hold by a third party like Safepay Solutions and only after you receive and test the car the payment has to be released to me.After you will receive the car you have 5 days to decide if you will buy it or no."

Why would this guy be offering to ship the car to my address BEFORE I make any payments?? These people are gettin sneakier and sneakier with their scams.

Re: cars.com scammers at it again

Quote Originally Posted by kdenised
    Hey guys, Im just wondering what you all think about this particular situation. I am of course, writing about an ad on cars.com that is asking for an extemely low price on a 2000 BMW with 42k ($5,000). After reading the other posts, the response from the seller is very similar.. Theres a long sob story about why they're selling the car, etc etc. However he also writes this:

" I have a friend at the shipping company who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is from me to pay for shipping it. When I will shipp it, I will declare it as a gift so that you will pay no customs when you will receive it and for this it will be delivered directly to your address. I don't want to get rich by its selling, just want to give it to someone who will take good care. From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay. I prefer the payment to be hold by a third party like Safepay Solutions and only after you receive and test the car the payment has to be released to me.After you will receive the car you have 5 days to decide if you will buy it or no."

Why would this guy be offering to ship the car to my address BEFORE I make any payments?? These people are gettin sneakier and sneakier with their scams.
    I bet you that the car would have a major problem that may not be known until you drive it a few times. Always check carfax when in doubt and of course never accept anything out of the area. But you knew that part already. :)

BEWARE New Cars.com Scam - 03 Audi A4 $6000

There is a 03 Audi A4 w/ 38K miles on cars.com listed for $6000. First this cars blue book is 18-19K . I knew it was a scam right off the bat but i decided to play with this JERK OFF for a while. I sent him an email inquiring about the listing . Here's his first response

Hello,

First of all, I want to tell you that the car is in perfect cosmetic and engine condition, and meticulously maintained. No damage, no hidden defects, never been into accidents or car race, and it is ready for run now. The car has clear title (in my hands) and it is free of encumbrances and liens. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register it in your name, and also bill of sale on your name and signed by me.
    The price I'd like to get for this beauty is $6,000 USD.
    The transaction will be closed only through BidPay, this way we will both be protected.
    If you agree with these terms, please reply me and I will be more than glad to provide you with further information how to purchase the car asap.

My best wishes and I'm waiting your response

Here's what i wrote him back

Sounds great , the only thing that makes me leery is the price . If you don’t mind me asking, why are you selling it at such a low cost . Blue Book on this car is around $18,000-$19,000. Either way I want the car.

This is the response i recieved

Hi again,
    The transaction will be closed only through BidPay, this way both will be protected. If you are serious about this and want to get my car all you have to do is to email me your full name and shipping address. After I will get your info I will forward them to BidPay and they will take care for the rest of this deal.
    My location is Edinburgh Scotland.Although I am registered in the US, but I am permanently reside in Scotland (where my family is from)..If you want to buy it BidPay will send you an invoice with the payment details.After you will make the payment you will receive the car at your door in 6-7 days with all the papers, clear title,bill of sale signed by me.You will have 10 days to inspect it.If you don't like the car they will give you all your money back and you will have to send me the car back for free.
    I must tell you that I will sell this car to the first interested buyer who will agree with the buy it now price set and who will provide me the personal details that I want and need in order to proceed with this deal...The price is 6000$.I need much money to registered it here.The price are included the taxes cost. If you are decided and want to get this car then I look forward for your next mail. If you have any more questions then please email me them and you will get your answers asap. Email me with your infos if you want to buy and they will contacted you with the all info about the payment and shipping.
    Thank you

Please let me know your thoughts

I reported the listing as a scam to cars.com but they have yet to take it down . I googled this guys email addy which is [email protected] and found a listing for the same car same price in Los Angeles CA, (the listing has since been deleted by craigslist) the cars.com listing is in Denver, CO. Plus the telephone number on the listing is a Verizon land line in New York, NY ...but wait remember he's in Scottland lol !!

BE VERY CAREFULL OUT THERE !!!

cars.com scam Audi S5 2008 for $16300

I saw an Audi S5 2008 on cars.com for $16300 I knew it was a scam, so I followed the scammer's game with fake names and addresses. The name and email of the scammer were Linda Mekjian ([email protected]), which I assume are fake. It goes like this:

VANIAH:
    HI,
    I looked ad the ad on cars.com earlier today, and I wanted to buy the car, but the ad was taken down. Have you sold the car already? I am very interested in buying it. Let me know Thx. Vania.

SCAMMER:
    Hello there,
    Thank you for your interest in my 2008 Audi S5. I want you to know that someone offered me the buy it now price, but didn't have all the money available and I cannot accept financing. The price I want to obtain for the car is $16,300 (this price includes shipping and insurance charges).
    The car is like new, completely working, perfect running condition,with no hidden damages or accidents,it has always been garage kept, low miles, non-smoker no flood or storms. The car is insured in case of damage and you will receive it to your address in 5 working days . It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual,insurance etc). The title is clear and you will be able to register the car in your state without any problems.
    I am requesting a $2,800 refundable deposit at the beginning of the shipping and the balance to be paid after delivery and inspection. If you are not 100% content with the car (after the 3 days inspection period offered by ebay) you will be able to ship it back on my expense to get your deposit back. I am sure this will not happen, because it is a state of the art vehicle and you will have no reason not to be content with it.
    We will use eBay Motors as third party. First you will pay the down payment to eBay and you will send the receipt proving your payment to eBay. Please note that eBay will hold your deposit of $2,800 until you will confirm that you received the car and you transferred the title into your name.
    If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, home and shipping address, eBay ID so I can register the transaction with eBay asap.

...waiting for your fast answer, Linda Mekjian.

VANIAH:
    Is the car paid off and all papers in order? where is the car at? I might be able to take a look at it. I live in XXXXXXXXX, TN. There is a small problem, I don't have an Ebay account, but my boyfriend does. his Ebay Id is: XXXXXXX. Our address is XXXX XXXX, XXXX TN 3XXXX. Let me know ASAP, and please consider me first, I will pay you right away.

SCAMMER:
    i just registered the transaction with ebay, please let me know after you will receive their payment instructions.

SCAMMER (FROM EBAY SUPPOSEDLY):
    eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection - Overview
    The eBay Motors vehicle protection programs offer a set of services that build protection into every step of the vehicle buying process. Some of the elements are automatically included when you buy a vehicle eligible by the program element (not all elements are available for all vehicles) while some of the elements are available for a small fee. The eBay Motors vehicle protection program is your safety net in the rare occasion that something goes wrong.
    The eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) program provides protection of up to $50,000 against certain losses associated with some types of fraud. You are automatically enrolled in the program at no charge when we have registered and issued the invoice for the transaction in case.
    VPP is administered and managed by an independent service provider (the "VPP Administrator") that is not affiliated with eBay Motors Inc ("eBay Motors"). All VPP requests will be administered and processed by eBay Motors and the VPP Administrator. The maximum reimbursement amount per vehicle is $50,000, less a $100 processing fee.
    These terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") shall govern your participation in the VPP program.
    Situations for Which Protection is Offered
    VPP offers protection only for losses associated with eligible transactions for qualifying vehicles in the following situations:
    1. You pay for a vehicle and never receive it.
    2. You send a refundable deposit for a vehicle and never receive it.
    3. You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:
    a. The vehicle was determined by a law enforcement agency to have been stolen.
    b. The vehicle has an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title.
    c. The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the seller's listing at the time you placed your bid or offer.
    d. You did not receive the certificate of title and both your state and seller's state require a title for the vehicle.
    e. The vehicle has a title with an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage brand.
    f. The vehicle is less year old or has odometer discrepancy from the mileage as stated in the seller's description.
    g. The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage.
    The purpose of the Condition Guarantee by Seller Program is to provide buyers with added confidence that a passenger vehicle purchased is accurately described , and to protect buyers if the actual vehicle condition is materially different from the listing description.
    Condition Guarantee by Seller
    While the vast majority of vehicle transactions trough the eBay Motors VPP go smoothly, the Condition Guarantee by Seller Program provides you with added protection from eBay Motors when purchasing a passenger vehicle.
    Sellers participating in the Condition Guarantee by Seller Program have put forth their best efforts to build your trust. Vehicles covered by the Condition Guarantee by Seller include the following protection:
    * The seller guarantees that the vehicle condition is as described.
    * The seller agrees to work with you to ensure your satisfaction.
    * Condition Guarantee by Seller provides you with additional protection from eBay Motors.
    Buyer Responsibilities
    To qualify for Condition Guarantee by Seller benefits, you need to meet certain requirements, including:
    * You must agree with the seller asking price.
    * You must complete the payment in the next maximum 48 hours since your transaction was started and approved by our VPP
    * In the event that there is an undisclosed problem with the vehicle, you must contact us in writing (email or fax) within 3 days for cosmetic (body and interior) conditions and 5 days for mechanical conditions upon receipt of the vehicle. Note: Due to the increased volume of transactions eBay will issue all the invoice with the value of less then $50,000.00 to our special designated agents. The designated agent is an eBay employ who will receive the founds for us and will keep them until the vehicle is delivered/inspected. Agents are randomly chosen for any transaction, they will have no association with ether the seller or the buyer (personal or work related) in order to keep a safe and trusty business environment.
    Copyright © 2010 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay,Inc.
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue,San Jose, CA 95125.
    Thank you

SCAMMER (EBAY SUPPOSEDLY):
    Step 1: Find a MoneyGram® branch
    Suggestions: MoneyGram® branch in your area:
    WAL-MART - ADDRESS: XXXXXXXX, TN
    Step 2: Visit your MoneyGram® branch, taking some personal identification* with you.
    Step 3: Complete a simple "send" form with the details of our agent (information can be found on the invoice) and hand this to the MoneyGram agent along with the money you want to send and the transfer fee*.
    Note: DO NOT send using MoneyGram Express this payment type is not valid
    Step 4: You will be given a reference number and a receipt
    Note: By sending a copy of the receipt through fax we will be able to validate the payment faster
    Step 5: Confirm payment by sending a copy of the receipt by fax or just reply to this email with the MoneyGram transfer details.
    eBay Motors fax number: (408) 890-4791

SCAMMER (FROM EBAY SUPPOSEDLY):
    The Vehicle Purchase Protection program protects your vehicle purchase
    against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program is provided
    by eBay Motors for FREE on this transaction. There's no sign-up,
    opt-in, or registration necessary. Your vehicle purchase is protected
    for up to $50,000 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower.
    We have verified the details of the seller's listing and started this
    vehicle transaction. Our verifications confirm seller's contact
    information and his ability to deliver the vehicle advertised on eBay.
    There is a limited group of sellers on eBay which we can recommend and
    Linda Mekjian is one of them.
    Details for Transaction: #350397728001 : 2008 Audi S5 4.2 quattro
    Seller: Linda Mekjian ([email protected])
    Registration address: 151 Maggie Dr., East Quogue, NY, 11942, United States (I ASSUME IT IS FAKE)
    Buyer: Vania XXXXXXX([email protected])
    Registration address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, TN, XXXXX, United States
    Vehicle title: 2008 Audi S5 4.2 quattro
    Vehicle location: East Quogue, NY, United States (I ASSUME IT IS FAKE)
    Vehicle price: $16,300.00
    Postage costs: $0,00
    Delivery time: 5 working days
    Payment method accepted: Money Order
    PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
    The buyer will send the payment representing the vehicle price to the
    eBay agent and forward us the payment details. We will confirm the payment
    and authorize the seller to ship the vehicle. The seller will have 2
    days to forward the tracking information. Once the vehicle is received,
    the buyer has 3 days to inspect it. After the inspection period is
    over, the buyer will contact us with the result of the inspection. If
    the buyer accepts the vehicle, the transaction is closed and feedback
    can be left. If the buyer rejects it, the vehicle will be shipped back
    at seller's expenses and the payment will be returned to the buyer.
    This transaction offers full protection because the buyer accepts the
    vehicle upon inspection and the seller ships the vehicle if the payment
    is confirmed.
    NEXT STEP TO BE TAKEN:
    Complete the payment at MoneyGram using the below eBay Motors
    agent details:
    First name: Robert
    Last name: Charara
    Address: 584 Bearcamp Rd.
    City/State: Louisville - KY
    Zip: 40272
    Amount: $2,800.00
    If you want to locate the nearest MoneyGram Office in your area please click here.
    Once the payment is sent, confirm payment by sending a copy of the
    MoneyGram receipt by fax, eBay Motors fax number: (408) 890-4791
    Your payment can't be lost in the mail, like money orders or checks,
    and it can be confirmed within a few days.
    PURCHASE PROTECTION AND REFUND:
    Vehicle Purchase Protection covers buyers who have completed a vehicle
    transaction with this seller for numerous types of deliberate and
    material misrepresentation. Currently, this seller has a deposit of
    $20,000.00 in a purchase protection account managed by eBay
    Trust and Safety Department. The seller purchase protection account
    was locked today, for 45 days time period and the seller is unable to
    withdraw any money from it, within this period. This protection program
    reimburses buyers for the following situations:
    1. Paying for and not receiving the vehicle.
    2. Paying for and receiving a stolen vehicle.
    3. Paying for and receiving a vehicle with undisclosed damage.
    4. Paying for and receiving a vehicle of a make and/or model that is
    different than what was described in the seller's listing.
    5. Paying for and receiving a vehicle with an undisclosed lien against
    it.
    6. Paying for a vehicle and not receiving the documents to it if the
    Motor Vehicle Departments in both the buyer's and the seller's state
    require a certificate for that vehicle.
    Should you need a refund for this vehicle transaction, keep the
    transaction number at hand when contacting eBay. The insured amount
    will be taken from the seller purchase protection account and sent to
    you. The seller will also pay for the return shipping and you will get your
    money back from us via MoneyGram money order as soon as the seller
    receives his item back.
    Refund requests are processed within 3 days.
    If you have any questions, please reply to this email and we will
    gladly assist.

VANIAH:
    I received the Invoice from Ebay. I'll use my moneygram account to send the money online. To what e-mail should I give the confirmation #. Also how am I going to get the title? Let me know. Thx.

SCAMMER:
    you have the fax # from ebay where you can confirm your payment.
    Let me know

SCAMMER:
    Hi again,

the car is ready to be shipped and i need you to tell me when do you think you will complete the down payment.

SCAMMER:
    you can use my email for confirmation: [email protected]

VANIAH:
    Linda,
    I just sent the money ($2800) through Moneygram.com to Robert Charara, the reference number is 93428451.
    Please let me know the details to complete the transaction once I get the car. Thanks

SCAMMER:
    is this a joke?
    the reference number is not good!
    please confirm your payment by fax to ebay.
    (LOL)

VANIAH:
    Linda,
    I miss-typed the reference number, I used my phone. This is the right reference number: 98428451. I don't have a paper receipt and a fax either. The reference number should be enough to pick up the money. Thanks.

NOTICE THE SCAMMER'S POOR ENGLISH, LACK OF PROFESIONALISM??
    WELL, WATCH OUT FOR ROBERT CHARARA 584 Bearcamp Rd. Louisville - KY 40272
    FAX # (408) 890-4791
    IT IS A SCAM!!! HOPE THE POLICE CAN CATCH THIS SCAMMER
    MORE TO COME.......(IF THE SCAMMER RESPONDS)

Well, this is the latest:

SCAMMER:
    cool! the ebay agent just picked up the money!
    i will ship the car today.
    Thank you

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE FAKE E-MAIL ADDRESSES USED BY THIS SCAMMER ARE:
    [email protected] scam
    [email protected] scam
    [email protected] scam
    Last edited by vania; 11-10-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: More Info

Re: cars.com scam Audi S5 2008 for $16300

I saw an Audi S5 2008 on cars.com for $16300 I knew it was a scam, so I followed the scammer's game with fake names and addresses. The name and email of the scammer were Linda Mekjian ([email protected]), which I assume are fake
    Of course the name is fake, the scammer intends to steal your money, he has no intention of giving any real life information or being truthful about anything.

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called 'scambaiting', if you google that word, you will find sites devoted to that hobby.

Thanks for posting up the email address and all those stock cut-n-paste emails that scammer sent you, am looking forward to seeing more of that scammer's upset emails when he discovers his MTCN# is still incorrect.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Re: cars.com scam Audi S5 2008 for $16300

its a scam

1997 Jeep Wrangler SCAM cars.com

vehicle is gorgeous listed at only $2,650
    http://www.use.com/509485df78d5326d42d5#photo=4

Notice the side of the truck says 5.7 Hemi, yet the ad that was on cars.com said V8 and the email from the person said 4.0 6 cylinder.
    The ad was listed for Connecticut but of course the "seller" was on an oil rig in Houston TX and the car registered and located in Roseburg Oregon. Wanted me to use ebay buyer protection program. When I ran the phone number it came up as a landline in Houston TX not a cell phone as stated in the email.
    All obvious red flags from the start.

This is the info they used;

George & Jeniffer Lasberg
    [email protected]com
    VIN#: 1J4FY19S2VP531044
    (713) 701-5753

Re: 1997 Jeep Wrangler SCAM cars.com

good thing you know it's a scam. they would have told you to western union some money. they don't have a car to sell and you can't get any money back from WU.

Re: 1997 Jeep Wrangler SCAM cars.com

This is how they wanted me to send the money;
    " I suggest we should use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection, so we can both be protected and insured.I am on the Oil Rig right now, I am not home.
    If we manage to complete this transaction within 7 days I could arrange to have it shipped at your door on my expense otherwise you have to pay 50 cents per mile.
    We are currently signed up for a protection program offered by eBay Motors and we would like to close the deal through them. If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the vehicle before paying us. In this way you're not buying something sight unseen. You will have a 7-day inspection period to decide whether you want to keep the vehicle or not before they release the funds to us.
    If you are interested in a quick sale and you wish to receive the vehicle in front of your door without paying anything for that except vehicle's price please forward me the following information :"

Auto Scam Cars.com

This person is a scam his put the email in the photos

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Scam Guy [email protected]

THIS person is a scam use western union

[email protected]

2001 Ford F-150 SVT

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...rivatePartySIY

Sandra Denison ([email protected]

2002 Nissan Xterra

SCAMMER Cars [email protected]

Another scam dis guy is in the us military

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 - $8,020

[email protected]

Re: cars.com scam

cheap Jets

However this initially time, judging from your reactions of fogeys, instructors, along with the cheap Mavericks jerseys cheap Chargers jerseys free shipping children, had been Nuggets new jerseys 2014 a good still in training successA good selection will be to accomplish position work outs, as far as possible, working with barbells or another purposeful instruction cheap Nets authentic jerseys devices, and relocating as a result of jerseys Magic numerous planes of movement during each individual training However cheap Hurricanes jersey it's football "It finished the 6 yr connection to the actual club when,even with official Raptors jersey a very high revenues regarding 'keepers on the Hawthorns, the actual NoScorers intended for St They've already wholesale Mavericks cheap jerseys me personally on photographic camera http://www.hula.tv/cgi-bin/joyful/jo...de=thr&no=2512 http://citygolfleague.org/cgi/cgl12.cgi