+ Reply to Thread

For those of you who are having to dispute a bunch of charges...

How are your credit card providers handling it? I need to dispute several charges: ExciteMaxx, Cortiban, White Overnight, LeanLifePM, and RXZyte.

But I'm worried that disputing so many charges within the same few weeks will make my credit card company think the problem lies with ME and not these companies.

Re: For those of you who are having to dispute a bunch of charges...

I don't know, but my first dispute has just started with Ultima patch . Hopefully, they have rule in my favor because I have my cancellation email. You do have a lot of disputes
    You have a 14 day trial. On the 10th day your card will be billed and you will be shipped a fresh supply of our wonderful product....

Anyone know how to go about it with a debit card? it is through my bank, who do I talk to to dispute charges?

Folks, 1st rule of this I learned is not to use credit cards with an available limit. Use a pre-paid credit card. Wells Fargo sells them for around $2.50. Preview the offers you want to do, add up the costs, and buy a pre-loaded card for the total amount plus, say, 10%. Then you won't have to sweat autoship charges as you would have run through the available money on the card before autoship kicks in (assuming you do all the offers in one big run.).

I'm going to have to give the exact opposite advice here. You are limited to $50 per transaction of liability for fraud with a credit card. While this doesn't help much with what most of us are doing here, since credit card companies already have to cover >$50 by law, most of them just choose to go the extra step and cover 100% of fraud claims. I have had very good experiences with CC companys disputing charges. I have had to deal with fraud on both my debit and credit cards. Most debit cards do not offer this protection, and in this case I was basically SOL. I don't know how this works with the prepaids. I'd imagine it is similar to the debit cards, but then again, I don't know. My experiences with wells fargo have been hit and miss, so I'm not sure if I'd expect them to offer this or not. I'll definately be finding out though.

Pious, I wouldn't be too worried about it. This is probably a typical fruad claim for them. Especially if you're an established customer. Unauthorized access typically comes in the form of multiple transactions. What kind of theif buys a candy bar then throws away the card? I think it would be far more suspicious if, for example, you had no problems for a while ... then reported a claim, no problems, claim, and repeat until your credit card company starts to put it together that you are either full of it, irresponsible with your information, or using your card at high risk merchants. I think they'd probably discontinue your service in this scenario.
    Last edited by BonusHunter; 02-14-2006 at 02:51 AM.
    PollPrizeUSA 2/4 "completed," 2/4 pending
    TRC 0/1 "completed," 1/1 pending

Ignore my "I'm going to have to give the exact opposite ..." above. That's not what I meant at all. What I meant to say was, at the very least, I try to avoid using debit cards. For the reasons mentioned and those below, the prepaid option is probably best.

All of this being said, I can certainly understand using a prepaid card. Most fraudulent charges won't show up right away anyway. You'll use it for your offers, then there won't be any money left. They can't charge an empty account. This would also work nicely for companies that insist you owe them money despite their explicit T&C. In most cases I would think this would be the end of it. It isn't going to be worth it for them to send something cheap to collections. Especially when they KNOW they are in the wrong. I think I may consider reloading the card and reusing the card to save $2.50 (atleast for the smaller offers like $100 one offer gift cards) if this is possible (I'm cheap) if I can see that no charges have tried to come through that I didn't authorize, and if a reasonable amount of time had passed. I would probably atleast alternate between three cards (or more) and give each one some downtime just to make SURE before attempting to reuse it. I guess ideally speaking though, we'd all have one CC, one voicemail, one email address for each seperate offer.
    PollPrizeUSA 2/4 "completed," 2/4 pending
    TRC 0/1 "completed," 1/1 pending

I agree with Bonus Hunter. Not suspicious at all. The guy saw it worked once, and went at it again until it stopped working.

The smart ones that have lots of card numbers use them only once with small amounts, knowing many won't even notice. You've got a dumb thief trying to pump you dry, and he'll probably end up in jail where he belongs.

Oh, and... Stay away from expedite.