+ Reply to Thread

New twist on Ebay Phishing scam

I can usually spot phishing scams immediately but I fell for this one and as a result my Ebay account is under suspension until I reactivate the account with new passwords as the Phisher got access to my Ebay account login info two days ago and for security reasons Ebay deactivated my account. I suspect that the Phisher has probably attempted to use my Ebay ID in order to send out new phishing emails.

Anyway here's how this new phishing scheme works. I recieved an email that appeared to be one of those Ebay message notification emails asking the question, "Are you still interested in my item?" I had dealt with these Ebay message notifications many times without any problems so when I recieved this one I did not even suspect that the message did not originate from Ebay. I went ahead and clicked on the link contained in the email, the one that supposedly takes you to the message on the Ebay server. Well this one took me to a spoof Ebay login page. I've had to login prior to retrieving my messages in the past so at this point I'm still not suspicious. I logged into the page and the message opened up. A message from a seller with the Ebay ID of "nukem29" I suspect that the Phisher had hijacked this Nukem29's account as I later did some checking and discovered that nukem29 is an Ebay member in good standing with a positive feedback rating. Anyway the seller message stated that the seller had a set of small block chevy cylinder heads for sale including the item listing number and was asking if I were still interested in this item. I typed up a response stating that the seller had mistaken me for someone else as I had not bid on any items for several months, and had not bid on any autoparts. When I clicked on the send button I was taken to a page stating that I was not allowed access due to my account being suspended for supposedly purchasing an item and not paying for it. the page went on to demand that I verify my ID by submitting my credit card and bank account information accompanied by an online form for this information.

At this point I knew that something was really wrong and that I was dealing with a Phisher. I didn't give them any financial info and immediately forwarded the email to [email protected]

Ebay then went on to deactivate my account due to the account being hijacked. The Phisher got my login info from the spoof message login page. I'm in the process now of getting my account reestablished with Ebay. Anyway I wanted to put the word out that the Ebay phishers are using a new twist to gain access to your account info, posing as buyers and sellers with questions using a spoof of the Ebay private messages page, and the email message notification pages.

Re: New twist on Ebay Phishing scam

Thanks for the info man... I had gotten similar emails and I have an Ebay link in my favorites so I clicked that out of habit... when I got to my account I realized i had no messages... i knew it was a fake.
    Deth is always approaching, live while you can...

Thank you from me as well!!

Thanks for this info, but....

If you got this email, and you knew that you didn't bid on this item, why click on this link? I've gotten this kind of email recently, and I automatically forwarded it to [email protected] JUST BECAUSE I was suspicious of the message.

In the future, NEVER click on any eBay/paypal email links; go to the sites directly. eBay now has a mailbox in which everything that you get in your email inbox, you'll also get in your eBay inbox--if it's legit, that is. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.
    $600 Recieved | $5600 Waiting 4 Shipment

Thanks for the info. I, too, got an email today from ebay. This one was saying that my account was going to be deactivated if I did not click their link. This email was a mess though. It had a bunch of extra characters and letters all over the place. Definitely not anything ebay would ever send.

Heh, I never click on those links, but last week somehow my account was taken over and then suspended as well.

I did open the email though, and then google searched for a bit reading about people who got the same spam mail. Maybe it was a cookie or something.

I would try to talk with ebay to get them to re-open my account, but if they research a bit they might find out I put my birth year down by one year (signed up 3 years ago, when I was 17 :p) or that I recently opened another account for an offer with a DIY site, although with my new address/phone number/email.

I guess I'll wait a few months to talk to them about it. :cool:

$100 Gas card - Your Gift Cards - 1/1 Recieved (Visa) - 07-24-06
    $50 Gift Card - The Useful - 1/1 Recieved ($75) - 03-27-06
    $50 Walmart Gift Card - 50DollarGiftCard - 1/1 Recieved - 04-03-06
    Xbox 360 - Gadget City - 4/4 Received ($300 gift card) - 05-01-06
    42" Plasma - Every Free Gift - 6/6 Recieved ($1000 check) - 07-06-06
    TIVO+Samsung 30" HDTV - Must Have Free Gifts - 3/3 Recieved ($950 check) - 12-08-06

Cheap Lunch Total: $2475

If you got this email, and you knew that you didn't bid on this item, why click on this link?
    To anwser your question the main reason that I clicked on the link was that I did not suspect that the email message notification was a phishing attempt. In this case the phisher took me through several steps the login page, the message page, all of them appearing legitimate before attempting to get my credit and banking info. Had I gone directly to my Ebay account and accessed my messages I would have avoided these problems entirely. I had accessed my Ebay messages through these email notification links several times in the past without any problems. I have recieved messages from buyers asking about one of my items that had allready closed weeks after the listing ended, wanting to know if I would have more of the same item available to sell. When I got this email I believed that it was a case of the seller getting Ebay member ID's mixed up, possibly someone who had been bidding on one of my items in the past getting me mixed up with someone who had bid on their item.
    In the future, NEVER click on any eBay/paypal email links; go to the sites directly.
    You're absolutely right on this matter. I routinely get all the usual phishing emails, from phishers posing as my ISP,Ebay, Paypal, banks where I don't even have an account. The typical Ebay or Paypal phishes claiming that I need to verify my ID by clicking on their link and filling out my credit and banking info. Why would I need to do this when my ID is allready verified with both Paypal and Ebay? These I usually forward to the spoof/fraud divisions of their respective sites. This Ebay message notification angle caught me totally off guard. as it didn't seem to have the earmarks of the typical phishing attempt til I got to the page demanding that I give out my banking and credit info.

this is actually quite old. and has been going on around the "net" for more than a year. Its also related to "Second Chance" offers scam (where seemingly, you are offered a "second chance" offer for bidding on a sellers auction, whether you did or not).

Remembe,r NEVER EVER click on links in an email NEVEr. WHICH IS why I stress to people to turn ofF HTML rendeirng in their email program, or simply ignore links and manually type in the uRL from the mesasge into their browser.

If anything is sent to you "seemingly" from ebay, ALWAYS go to ebay.com (type the url in manually_) and check your messages. ALL messages to you will be copied there.

Even secnd chance offer messages

Quote Originally Posted by MWeber
    To anwser your question the main reason that I clicked on the link was that I did not suspect that the email message notification was a phishing attempt. In this case the phisher took me through several steps the login page, the message page, all of them appearing legitimate before attempting to get my credit and banking info.
    Though a simple source code and keeping aware of the URL would have made you aware very quickly.

Had I gone directly to my Ebay account and accessed my messages I would have avoided these problems entirely. I had accessed my Ebay messages through these email notification links several times in the past without any problems. I have recieved messages from buyers asking about one of my items that had allready closed weeks after the listing ended, wanting to know if I would have more of the same item available to sell.
    Which is why YOU NEVER EVER under ANY circumstance you click on links found in emails. In fact, you will find that this assessment echoed by many ISp's and email providers.

ALWAYS turn of HTML REndering for your emails. That's is 100% why these emails work. I've yet to get duped by a phish, simply because I refuse to accept HTML ladened emails, unless its from known sources (addresses that are in my whitelist). All emails received are rendered to plain text (Thereby revealing the TRUE url, for many phish sites).

This is in no way to target you, but a simple "please use common sense" approach to dealing with "new" phish attempts and old ones.

Thanks for the advice Wizwyg, I've followed up on it and disabled html in my email program. Seeing those headers and actual url's definately unmasks the phishers.

autosurfqueen Guest

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Learn something new everyday.

One thing I have learned for sure, the internet has become nothing but a haven for being ripped off or conned or having your financial online information hacked. I have a firewall, AOL spyware and two anti-virus programs on my computer. Everything is updated everyday, I run scans on my computer almost every day. AOL spyware found an "advanced keylogger" on my computer over a week ago. It's has gotten to the point where I don't want to do any business via the internet any longer.

Some legit companies, now online, such as the airlines, aren't helping in this respect. I do fly a lot, and to get real good fares airlines encourage you to purchase your tickets online. Well, in order to do this, you guessed it, you must use your debit/credit card to order the tickets online.

When I get ready for my next flight, I am going to check the rates online, then call the airline and see what the rates are over the phone. ;)

Sorry to pop this thread back up to the top, but it took me a day to find the info I wanted to post here. I had read about this toolbar you could download that would give you the true IP address of whatever site you were on. I think this might be what I read about.

I haven't tried it. Can't recommend it, but it can't hurt to check it out.

Di

PS. I told you guys my searching skills were seriously lacking...um...skill.