+ Reply to Thread

USPS Money Order Scam...seems very fake to me

i waas selling a phone on craigslist and this guy offered me a"money order" told me i would recieve the confirmation email this is wat i recieved (it had a lot of pictures in it and a marquee at the top also)

is it a scam?

USPS Online
    Money
    Order Service
    UNITED STATES POSTAL MONEY ORDER ($600) MADE BY IBEH MYKELTO DEVLYN LINDEN HAS BEEN APPROVED TODAY (4/2/2006)

Dear Devlyn Linden,
    Congratulations! The order placed by the buyer of your item: Mr Ibeh Mykel to have a United States Postal Service branded Money OrderSM $300.00(USD) sent to you as payment for the item: " SideKick 2" has been successfully processed and has consequently been APPROVED. The financial details of the transaction are stated below:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *FINANCIAL DETAILS*
    (NOTE: All amounts are in US$)
    -----------------------------
    Item Site : Craigslist
    Item Description : SideKick 2

TOTAL : $300.00

---------------------------
    ================================================== =====================================

The Money OrderSM will be delivered to your contact information below, Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct:

Seller Name : Devlyn Linden
    Address : my add
    City :my city
    State : WA
    Zip Code :my zip
    Email: [email protected]

If there is an error in the name or address, Please email our representative at
    [email protected]
    ================================================== =================================
    ***ATTENTION***
    The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of recieving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shippment Verification.

The Money OrderSM will NOT be dispatched or get to your resident until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.

****PLEASE NOTE***
    Due to the fact that United States Postal Service processes thousands of orders daily, United States Postal Service RECOMMENDS contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt dispatch of Money OrderSM. Send shippment tracking details to : [email protected]

Once shipment has been verified, You will receive a " ORDER DISPATCHED" email from United States Postal Service informing you that the Money OrderSM has been dispatched. Included will be the TIME and DATE payment is to be delivered.

NB

We required a proper verification for shipment, before mailing the reference number slip of money order.

Thank you for using United States Postal Service Money Order Payments ExpressPaymentSM. We look forward serving your Online Money Order Payments needs in future.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT OUR ONLINE CUSTOMER CARE SERVICE AT [email protected] THIS IS A VALID EMAIL THAT WILL LEAD YOU TO OUR ONLINE SERVICE ASSISTANT POWERED BY MAIL.COM, OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE PROVIDER.

United States Postal Service Payments.

(U.S.P.S Post-Man Agent)

--

Re: USPS Money Order Scam...seems very fake to me

First and foremost, accountant.com and post.com are e-mail domains available for free on the mail.com service.

This is pretty funny -- even if it was really from the USPS I would never send out the item until after I received and cashed a money order.

Thats hilarious actually I had the exact same thing happen to me...I was selling something on ebay and some guy with a brand new account emailed me and said he wanted to buy it for like twice what it sells for and he was getting it for a friend in africa...He sent me that exact same email basically and then said he would pay for fed ex to get it blah blah blah...so this morning fed ex calls and tells us it is definitely a scam and this guy is full of it...He was from nigeria appareantly and ya its pretty funny that they expect us to believe them and ship stuff before we actually have the money in our hands for what they want

There was a great article in the NY Times recently about how the Internet cafes in many African countries are full of 15 year old boys who try to play Internet scams 12 hours a day.

I just received the exact same thing for an IPOD that I am selling. Is there a way to report this to the authorities?

Congratulations! The order placed by the buyer of your item,Miss Nicky to have a United States Postal Service branded Money OrderSM $280.00(USD) sent to you as payment for the item:6 MONTH OLD IPOD VIDEO 30GB WITH FREE MOVIES has been successfully processed and APPROVED.
    The financial details of the transaction are stated below:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *FINANCIAL DETAILS*
    (NOTE: All amounts are in US$)
    Auction Site :Craigslist
    Item Description :6 MONTH OLD IPOD VIDEO 30GB WITH FREE MOVIES
    -----------------------------
    TOTAL : $280.00
    ---------------------------
    ==========
    ================================================== ===========================
    The Money OrderSM will be delivered to your contact information below, Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct:
    Address Verification

If there is an error in the name or address, Please email our representative at

================================================== =================================
    ***ATTENTION***
    The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of recieving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shipment Verification.
    So get back to your buyer now for the shipment arrangement and email us with the tracking number after the shipment had been made,be sure to include the United States Postal Service Payments order number. Also, include item tracking number as the subject of your email.
    The Money OrderSM will NOT be dispatched or get to your residence until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.

TRANSACTION CODE NUMBER:28244787

****PLEASE NOTE***
    Due to the fact that United States Postal Service processes thousands of orders daily, United States Postal Service RECOMMENDS contac ting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt dispatch of Money OrderSM. Send shipment tracking details to :

Once shipment has been verified, You will receive an " ORDER DISPATCHED" email from United States Postal Service informing you that the Money OrderSM has been dispatched.

Auction Payments Order Available

AVAILABLE
    Order Placed

15th July 2006
    Order Status

Money order Available
    Money Order Approved

Money Order Confirmed
    Billing Information:

Processed successfully
    Card Type

MasterCard
    Card Number

5***********5643
    Exp. Date

4/2007
    Name on Card

Miss Nicky
    Phone no.

Driving License.

NILL
    Country

USA
    Services Purchased:
    ONLINE PAYMENT
    Total Amount posted to card

$10,100.00
    Auction Payments Fee

$20.95
    Money Order Amount

$280.00
    Shipped by

Second Day Air ($8.00)
    Purchased Item Information:

Auction site

Craigslist
    Item Description

6 MONTH OLD IPOD VIDEO 30GB WITH FREE MOVIES

Seller Information:

Name

If we do not hear from you as soon as expected the payment will be returned back to the buyer. We will be awaiting you to ship the item and mail us the shipment tracking number so that we can send out your payment.With this no buyer can stop payment with a false claim that there is no longer any transaction between the two of you after you might have shipped.We are your mediator,we stand between both the buyer and the seller because we have our reputation to protect.
    Thank you for using United States Postal Service Money Order Payments� ExpressPaymentSM. We look forward serving your Online Money Order Payments� needs in future.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT OUR ONLINE CUSTOMER CARE SERVICE.THIS IS A VALID EMAIL THAT WILL LEAD YOU TO OUR ONLINE SERVICE ASSISTANT POWERED BY MAIL.COM, OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE PROVIDER.

United States Postal Service Payments.

Yes this is a scam, I was selling my camera on craigslist when I recievd an email from a woman who wanted to buy it but lived out of state from me. She offered more than I asked for and offered to pay for the shipping charges as well.
    It sounded a little fishy when she went into detail about how it would be a present for her step son who's father recently passed away. When I got the second email stating that the USPS has a money order for me and will be delivered
    once I provide a tracking # to them, that's when I knew that this was complete bull****. I contacted her (if it is in fact even a woman) and explained that I will not ship the camera unless the money order is in my hands. She denied that
    this was a scam and said that she was at the post office all day. But I asked her why the contact address was "[email protected]" and not USPS.com which is what it is supposed to be, and why the return senders name was
    "[email protected] ." with a period where the last name should be, also why when you right-click on the images in the fake USPS email the html directory is not from the USPS website. She never responded after that. below is the email I received.

MaxX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flipdoubt
    Haha, you gotta be kidding me. Just by lookingt at this crapy website design you can tell it's not from USPS. Some 14 year kid probably did that. Those scammers are dumb.

Seems to be another fake MO

Dear Matthew Johnson,

Congratulations! The order placed, by your customer (Williams Michael) have send you a USPS Postal Money Order branded of Amount of ($280.00 USD) for this your item you placed on www.Craigslist.org (motorola v3xx razors!!! ). The payment has been successfully processed and has consequently been APPROVED by USPS. The Financial details of the transaction are stated below: Order Status And Informations:

Order Number: 25567230
    USPS Postal Money Order AVAILABLE
    Order Placed APRIL 24, 2007
    USPS Postal Money Order Tracking Number RR11 1488 145U S
    USPS Money Order Status APPROVED SUCCESSFULLY
    Billing Information:
    Card Type MasterCard
    Card Number 5***********5643
    Exp. Date 9/2010
    Name on Card Williams Michael
    Service Purchased: ONLINE PAYMENT
    Total Amount charged on card $280.00 USD
    Auction Payments Fee $37.05 USD
    USPS Money Order Amount $280.00 USD
    USPS Postal Money Order Mail Out Via : First Class Mail
    Purchased Item Information
    Auction site www.Craigslist.org
    Item Description
    motorola v3xx razors!!!
    Item Number

Seller Information:
    Name Matthew Johnson
    Street address xxxxx
    City, State, Zip xxxxxxx
    Country U.S.A
    Email Address xxxxxxx

The USPS Postal Money OrderSM will be delivered to your contact information below, Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct: Verify The Below Address If The Address Is Not Valid Please Kindly Get Back To Us With The Full Details:-

Name :Matthew Johnson
    Address : xxxxx
    City : xxxx
    State : xxx
    Zipcode : xxx
    E-mail Address : xxxxxxx

Here is the Buyer Shipping Information :

Name : Johnsoncena michael
    Address : 507 Agege Motor Rd.
    City : Oshodi,
    State : Lagos
    Zipcode : 23401
    E-mail Address : [email protected]
    If there is an error in the name or address, Please email our Representative at [email protected]

N.B
    THE USPS POSTAL MONEY ORDER HAS BEEN PROCESS TO BE DELIVERED TO YOUR HOUSE, AND WE WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THE MONEY ORDER HAS BEEN DISPATCH AND WE WILL MAIL YOU THE TRACKING NUMBER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. BUT WE WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT IT WILL NOT BE DELIVERED UNTIL YOU SHIPOUT THE ITEM AND MAIL US THE TRACKING NUMBER SO THAT WE CAN VERIFY THE SHIPMENT AND TO PROTECT BOTH YOU AND THE BUYER INTEREST SO WE URGE YOU TO GET BACK TO US WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE .

We will be awaiting for you to ship the item and mail us the shippment tracking number so that we can send out your payment. With this no buyer can stop payment with a false claim that there is no longer any transaction between the two of you after you might have shiped. We are your mediator, we stand between both the buyer"s and the seller"s because we have our reputation to protect.

USPS Postal Money Order is easier to cash. They can be purchased from any Post Office in the United State of America as well as from any rural route carrier. Postal Money Order are available up to $5,000 with a daily limit of $10,000 per customer. A current government-issued or state-issued picture identification is required for money order purchases over $3000 in a single day.
    Thank you for using USPS Postal Money Order. We look forward to serving your online payment needs in the future.

The USPS Money OrderSM will NOT be dispatched or get to your resident until the shippment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both the seller"s and buyer"s interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.
    Due to the fact that USPS processes thousands of orders daily, USPS RECOMMENDS contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt dispatch of USPS Money OrderSM. Send shipment tracking details to [email protected]

USPS Postal Money Orders Service are safe to use because they have many security features that help distinguish between real and counterfeit notes. Just like our own U.S currency, they are specially designed with different colored inks, watermarks, and security thread in the paper.
    Hold the money order up to the light and look for the following security features:
    Ben Franklin images (watermarks) repeated on the left side (top to bottom).
    A dark security thread running (top to bottom) to the right of the Franklin watermark, with the tiny letters USPS facing backward and forward

This order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of recieving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shippment Verification.

Below is a sample of the USPS Postal Money Order that will be delivered to you after we have received the shipment tracking number from you.

USPS Postal Money Order Tracking Number: RR11 1488 145U S

Note that the USPS Postal Money Order will not be released to you until you Notify us with the Shipment tracking number for shipment Verification.
    You can go to www.usps.com to track the payments for verification that your payment on it way to you.Note it will not be release or delivered to you until you notify us with the shipment tracking number of the Order you shipped to the Buyer before the payment will be release or delivered to you.contact us with the shipment tracking number at [email protected]

REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS :
    [email protected]
    Thank you for using USPS Postal Money Order Payments . We look forward serving your USPS Postal Money Order Payments needs in future.

Sincerely,
    USPS Postal Money OrderSM Payments copyright

************************************************** ***********************************************
    Due to the high risk of fraudulent activities with buyers, we now offer you special safe and secure payment.

-- this is totally a scam...i would of fell for it...i never really sell things online. thankfully i work next to a postal service, and my friend there warned me about these scams. NEVER mail anything to africa!!!

Sadly I have seen this scam several times. I work for a moneygram agent and they all were over 1000 and had walmart logo. Walmarts money orders are never over $1000. One guy claims to had just recieved it in the mail from London. A lady had gotten 3 for $1800 doing god only knows what. One of them was from ebay thank god the guy confirmed before sending the ps3. They all had same signature and had all been previously cashed and face value for original serial # was $8.

I have just gone through the same scam. I was selling a computer on craigslist.com and received an email from a woman wanting to purchase it from me for more than i asked for and it was also a present for her step son who's father passed away. It seemed a bit fishy as well. She said she would take care of the shipping which ended up being through fedex and apparently it only costs 17.00 dollars cdn to send from canada to colorado. Yeah right!! anways i received an email from [email protected] saying I had new funds and that when I sent them the tracking # they would send me the money. What ever. What I questioned her about it she said someone from USPS would come to my house with the cash. I knew at the point that it was a scam and contacted USPS directly. They do not send electronic money orders. I emailed her back and also emailed the address that said i had money waiting and of course got no reply. Here are some of the emails I received.

You've got new funds!

Dear Lindsey B,

The email confirms that "Brittney Fish" has send you the total amount of $550.00 with United States Postal Service .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Total Amount: $550.00 (Shipping Excluded)

Transaction ID: 5Y758072CS5622206

Subject: You are to ship before 11/06/2007

Item Name:
    EMachine H6415
    Shipping Information

Address: John Bickford
    768 So.krameria st
    denver,colorado 80224

Seller Address Status: Confirmed

Lindsey
    my address was here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This United States Postal Service payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail : [email protected] and our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account.

**PLEASE NOTE**
    Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "NOTIFICATION Email" from United States Postal Service informing you that the Money has been sent to you residential address.

Thank you for using United States Postal Service Money OrderSM!
    The Usps Team

Email ID PP274

I
    also emailed [email protected] last night to ask some questions. This is the email I got back.

Dear Lindsey B,

Goodady to you. We want you to know that your money is safe with us and your money has been send to our dispatcher agent inorder for them to deliver your money to your residential address. But we are still expecting you to send the shipping tracking number to us for proper verification so that we will make sure that your money will get to you within 24hours.

We want you to do the necessary arrangement and get back to us as soon as possible.

Yours Sincere,
    Usps Team.

Thankfully I didnt fall for this but I definitly could have and lost out. It doesnt take much for someone to scam you.

**United States Postal Service/ORDER COMFIRMATION OF PAYMENT(APPROVED)*ORDER #8345209

(UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE)
    CONFIRMATION OF PAYMENT
    "APPROVED"

United States Postal hereby inform you of a money order sent from Flora McMahon to Arun Toor to have a branded Postal Money Order has been approved for a total payment of ($250:00)

Dollar sign

Dear Arun Toor,

Congratulations! The order placed by the buyer of your item: Flora McMahon to have a United States Postal Service Branded Money Order SM $250:00 sent to you as payment for the item :Pre-modded PSP has been successfully processed and has consequently been APPROVED. The financial details of the transaction are stated below:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    *FINANCIAL DETAILS*
    (NOTE: All amounts are in $)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Auction Site : www.craigslist.org

Item Description :Pre-modded PSP
    -------------------------
    TOTAL :$250:00
    -------------------------
    ================================================== ============================
    The Money Order SM will be delivered to your contact information below, Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct:

Address Verification

Arun Toor
    13200 RD 112
    Tipton, CA., 93272
    United States.

If there is an error in the name or address, Please email our representative at [email protected] ================================================== =============================

**ATTENTION**

The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of receiving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shipment Verification.
    The Money Order SM will NOT be dispatched or get to your resident until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.

**PLEASE NOTE**

Due to the fact that United States Postal Service processes thousands of orders daily, United States Postal Service RECOMMENDS contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt dispatch of Money Order SM. Send shipping tracking details to : [email protected]

Once shipment has been verified, You will receive a " ORDER DISPATCHED" email from United States Postal Service informing you that the Money Order SM has been dispatched. Included will be the TIME and DATE payment is to be delivered.

Postage Payment Options for Business
    Send Money
    Order Status And Informations:
    Order Number:
    P.O. 8345209342
    Auction Payments Order Available

Available
    Order Placed

July ,30, 2007
    Order Status

Money order Available
    Money Order Approved

Money Order Confirmation Notification
    Billing Information:

Processed successfully
    Card Type

MasterCard
    Card Number

5***********5643
    Exp. Date

03/2012
    Name on Card

Flora McMahon
    Street Address

33 Concord Ave Apt 4.
    City,State,Zipcode

Adams, WI.,60089
    Country

United States.
    Services Purchased:
    Online Payment
    Total Amount posted to card

$258:00
    Auction Payments Fee

$ 8:00
    Money Order Amount

$250:00
    Shipped by
    2nd day delivery
    Purchased Item Information:

Auction site

www.craigslist.org
    Item Description
    Pre-modded PSP

Seller Information:

Name

Arun Toor
    Street Address

13200 RD 112
    City, State, Zipcode

Tipton, CA., 93272
    Country

United States.
    Phone Number

------------------
    Email
    [email protected]

Dear Arun Toor,

Your Money Order is ready, Parcel will be delivered to the above address upon receipt of the shipment tracking number and confirmation.Also below is the sample of the money order that will be delivered to you after we have received the shipment tracking number from you.

Money Order Security Features

Things to check for to ensure a Money Order is authentic.

Postal Money Orders are safe to use because they have many security features that help distinguish between real and counterfeit notes. Just like our own U.S. Currency, they are specially designed with different colored inks, watermarks, and security thread in the paper.
    Hold the money order up to the light and look for the following security features:

This order has been approved and will be send to the above address in 2-3 days. You CAN NOW send the items to the buyer and send the shipment tracking number to us for verification.

NB :
    IF WE DONT RECEIVE THE SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER, YOUR DELIVERY WILL BE STOPPED.

Thank you for using United States Postal Service Money Order ExpressPaymentSM. We looking forward to serving your Online Money Order Payments needs in future.
    Delivery Service**USPS Delivery Post-Man**

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE ONLINE PAYMENT IS SUPPORTED BY....

Internet Fraud Organization

looks very fake to me i had a hint that it was fake before when the idiot that sent this said she only wanted to so buy my psp through usps so i mentioned COD and she said again that she only wanted to send it through usps i decided to go through with it just so i could report her following emails any1 know where i can report them i am tired of these people o and this one also did not come from usps.gov instead it came from post.com
    Last edited by Arun Toor; 07-31-2007 at 05:56 AM. Reason: addition

Maybe try telling these scumbags you will accept the moneyorders provided they post 30$ to cover courier fees. They can do this through Moneygram or western Union. The courier fees have to be cash as the Money Order will take a couple of weeks to clear. it may just work!

I guess I too have fallen victim to this d*** scam.... we try to be honest citizens.... and get taken advantage of..... I've heard of sellers scamming out consumers... but never heard of consumers scamming sellers.... what has this world come to.... by the way... is there anything... that I could possibly do?

this same thing just happen to me what can i do to get this person from scamming someone that has no clue?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxX View Post
    Haha, you gotta be kidding me. Just by lookingt at this crapy website design you can tell it's not from USPS. Some 14 year kid probably did that. Those scammers are dumb.
    how do you get these people from doing it to someone who don't no i just had some guy pull this on me wanted me to send my laptop to him then they would send the money order this discuss me. what can i do?