+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prosecutors to fight release of killer

Let's see...what are liberals up to today? Just another day at the office...I could post 10 of these A DAY.....

Prosecutors to fight release of killer

Mentally ill Troy man beat his mother to death in 2000

February 2, 2006

BY L.L. BRASIER

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
    Should James Yang, who was sent to a mental hospital after being found not guilty by reason of insanity in the murder and mutilation of his mother, be released to a halfway house in Oakland County?
    State psychiatrists say a Troy man who bludgeoned and mutilated his mother to death in 2000 should be released from an institution, placed in a group home and eventually returned to the community because his mental illness is in remission.

Oakland County prosecutors, however, plan to fight his release at a hearing Wednesday.

James Yang, 30, was found not guilty by reason of insanity in Oakland County Circuit Court in 2001 after he beat his mother, Kazuyo Yang, 58, to death with a chair leg, crowbar, hammer and iron weights in their Troy home. He used a hacksaw to cut off her face and then ate her eyes.

Yang, who has schizophrenia, has spent the last two years under psychiatric care at the Caro Regional Mental Health Center in the western Thumb. Doctors there determined in November that he has improved enough to begin assimilating back into the community. An independent committee of doctors at the state's Center for Forensic Psychiatry in Ypsilanti that is charged with reviewing such cases agrees and has recommended that Yang be allowed to leave the mental hospital.

"Yes, he couldn't have committed a worse crime," his attorney, Scott Neumann, said Wednesday. "But the question is: What do you do with him? Do you penalize him forever? The community would say, 'Yes, lock him up forever.' But he is not a danger, and under the law, he will eventually be released."

A hearing on the matter will be held in Tuscola County Probate Court in Caro on Wednesday, although the jurisdiction of the case remains in Oakland County. Lisa Ortlieb, Oakland County assistant prosecutor, said her office will fight the release.

"It's unbelieveable," Ortlieb said. "This is a man who brutally, brutally murdered his mother. What's to keep him from going off his medicine and harming another person?"

The judge will ultimately decide, although judges generally follow the recommendations of experts. Prosecutors are expected to ask the court to allow them to have Yang evaluated by their own psychiatrists.

Yang will be placed by Oakland's Community Mental Health Authority in a supervised group home with others recovering from mental illness and will not be allowed to leave or be left unattended. If he remains well, he will eventually, with doctors' approval, be allowed to live on his own.

The killing shocked police officers who arrived at the Yang home on May 1, 2000.

Yang, according to reports, was clearly in a psychotic state and could not tell police his name or whether he was a man or a woman. He believed his mother was the devil. Police at first could not determine her gender because her body was so badly mutiliated.

Eric Hufnagel, chief executive officer of the National Schizophrenia Foundation, based in Lansing, said statistics show people who suffer from the disease are no more violent than the general public. Violence among those with schizophrenia is more likely to occur soon after patients are released from the hospital and if there are substance abuse problems.

"I don't think that it's fair to assume that that is something that is going to repeat itself," he said. "I know of people who committed an act of violence once and never have again."

Re: Prosecutors to fight release of killer

It definitely sounds like the man was mentally ill. And Schizophrenia can be controlled with medication, which apparently that is what is happening or they wouldn't suggest releasing him to a halfway house in the first place.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    It definitely sounds like the man was mentally ill. And Schizophrenia can be controlled with medication, which apparently that is what is happening or they wouldn't suggest releasing him to a halfway house in the first place.

Lady Mod

And if he eats someone else's eyes? Will you write the "sorry" note? Thank you for making my point so clearly. "They" believe it will be OK. "They" are often wrong. "They" are liberals who think these people just need some meds and maybe some direction in their lives...

NO ONE in their right mind would think that this guy should be released, especially after 4 years. But that is the point, isn't it? "Right mind". This is a stark example of what must be fought. I am frankly shocked that anyone came down on the side of the eye-eater and his attorneys.
    Last edited by pwrone; 02-03-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Perhaps a poll is in order...

Can we afford to release anyone who eats eyes and hacksaws faces after 5 years?

I vote NO.

I fail to see anywhere in the article where there's even a mention of liberals or conservatives...

umdkook Guest

yea the only thing i see about someone "supporting" this pyscho is where they say the DOCTORS think he is able to be released into a halfway house on his way to being in society.

where does it say anything about liberals???

o and PS, i vote HELL NO on releasing him to halfway house. what the hell are these people thinking letting him go anywhere except the electric chair.
    i dont think its cruel and unusualy punishment AT ALL to send crazy people to death row. it makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    And if he eats someone else's eyes? Will you write the "sorry" note? Thank you for making my point so clearly. "They" believe it will be OK. "They" are often wrong. "They" are liberals who think these people just need some meds and maybe some direction in their lives...

NO ONE in their right mind would think that this guy should be released, especially after 4 years. But that is the point, isn't it? "Right mind". This is a stark example of what must be fought. I am frankly shocked that anyone came down on the side of the eye-eater and his attorneys.
    Pwrone, the man was mentally unbalance, he is being treated with medication. No one willingly goes back into schizophrenia after being brought out of that hellish place in the mind. And certainly not just to go back into killing people. Some of the horrible things you suggest should be done to other humans would qualify you for a Mental hospital or make a person wonder if you aren't schizophrenic at times.

This is how the law works. This has nothing to do with "liberals" or conservatives. Unless you are willing to pay single handedly for all these prisons and mental hospitals you advocate sending about 90% of the population to, you better start getting more in line with the rest of the country. Sheesh.

Lady Mod

Truly a horrifying event. The problem with all of this is two things

1) they say that the problem is in remission. Like cancer being in remission, all it takes is something to bring it back again. When it comes to mental problems, all it takes is a current word said, or familiar scene that can trigger the memory that causes the problems in the first place. He isn't "cured" he is in remission. Enough said to have that patient within safe confines.

2) drugs are not the answer. drugs do not cure, and if, by any chance or given reason, the meds are missed or skipped, and this guy has a second helping of someone else's optical nerves, what will they do then ?

They need to pull their heads out of their butts here and give this serious re-consideration. Of course, since the whole medical system relies on drugs, they are totally blind to the notion that they will fail. The problem is, it is always the innocent that suffer. Rest assured, if the doctors themselves were threatened, they would ensure there would be absolutely NO CHANCE of this guy being able to strike again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    Truly a horrifying event. The problem with all of this is two things

1) they say that the problem is in remission. Like cancer being in remission, all it takes is something to bring it back again. When it comes to mental problems, all it takes is a current word said, or familiar scene that can trigger the memory that causes the problems in the first place. He isn't "cured" he is in remission. Enough said to have that patient within safe confines.

2) drugs are not the answer. drugs do not cure, and if, by any chance or given reason, the meds are missed or skipped, and this guy has a second helping of someone else's optical nerves, what will they do then ?

They need to pull their heads out of their butts here and give this serious re-consideration. Of course, since the whole medical system relies on drugs, they are totally blind to the notion that they will fail. The problem is, it is always the innocent that suffer. Rest assured, if the doctors themselves were threatened, they would ensure there would be absolutely NO CHANCE of this guy being able to strike again.
    It is horrible, that is true. One must understand schizophrenia, that is can be controlled. There is nothing that says it was cured. In remission in the article only means that they have the disease under control.

It's equally horrifying with mothers drown children and they call it Postpartum depression. Yet, it can be proved that in a small number of women such a chemical imbalance exists.

He will eventually be released whether he is now or not. Being released now he will be closely monitored. Who is to say that later on the Bush budget will even pay for halfway houses?

Interesting article, it's difficult to guess how this case will pan out. It could go either way. It is California after all.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 02-05-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    It is horrible, that is true. One must understand schizophrenia, that is can be controlled. There is nothing that says it was cured. In remission in the article only means that they have the disease under control.

It's equally horrifying with mothers drown children and they call it Postpartum depression. Yet, it can be proved that in a small number of women such a chemical imbalance exists.

He will eventually be released whether he is now or not. Being released now he will be closely monitored. Who is to say that later on the Bush budget will even pay for halfway houses?

Interesting article, it's difficult to guess how this case will pan out. It could go either way. It is California after all.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    Gotta thank Bush for those tax cuts right ? Nothing like making sure society is safer for all. :rolleyes:

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Pwrone: you can brand anyone here that you care to with your rabid political
    labels, but there is no one here in the right mind that feels that this
    individual and those like him should not be at least incarcerated for
    life, in a special unit designed to deal with such persons.

But, you know, I really, as well, find myself wondering if I am going to
    read in the paper or hear on the news another such person and really
    wonder (I don't know his real name and don't care to) if this individual
    is the Pwrone some of whose post on this forum I find scary and
    chilling, and think this might be him, that has totaly lost it, finally.

Also, I think it is very disturbing to realize that there are those with a
    mindset just like him; the likes of who are in our government today.

Is it any wonder that we get concerned when we hear of NSA performing
    survelliance without proper authorization and outside of the knowledge
    of our Senate and Congress? There are definetly dangerous people
    that we citizens should know that some sane responsible council
    group within our government knows what they're up to and keeps
    them in check.
    Last edited by coontie; 02-05-2006 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spell

PLEASE GET A CLUE. The next time someone does not comprehend who it is that makes up the defense attorney/psychiatrist racket, they should be sent to pre-school. These are the Liberals liberals, and when they work to release psychopaths we need to notice. One more time, for those in the cheap seats, NO CONSERVATIVES WANT VIOLENT CRIMINALS RELEASED. EVER. It is a major part of the conservative movement.Got it now? Good Lord.

lets say that we(the enligtened)(you included!?) agree with your ass-sess-ment of the criminal situation.how does the current administration DIFFER from say.the fascist way of THINKING!?you are BASICALLY saying that the current FORM of the SYSTEM is PRONE to PERPETUATING the very things we all should DESPISE!?and whether your NUMBERS are CORRECT is UNIMPORTANT considering YOUR AGENDA which is IN QUESTION by the PUBLIC!?or to say it more SUCCINCTLY!?CUT THE CRAP and get real WITH the NUMBERS!?hehe!?just cause you stick a dildo up your own orifice of regard dont mean we all do/should!?DOES GOD NEEED HELP!?IS HE A WIMP!?hehe!!just askin.your servant at the lowest seat/stool........lexx!!remember the law of life.........there's always a faster GUN!!hehe!!live long and prosper!!and in your case...always watch your back!?hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 02-06-2006 at 10:51 AM.

PLEASE GET A CLUE. The next time someone does not comprehend who it is that makes up the defense attorney/psychiatrist racket, they should be sent to pre-school. These are the Liberals liberals, and when they work to release psychopaths we need to notice. One more time, for those in the cheap seats, NO CONSERVATIVES WANT VIOLENT CRIMINALS RELEASED. EVER. It is a major part of the conservative movement.Got it now? Good Lord.
    Well according to you then, the MINORITY controls the MAJORITY. Interesting concept given that you also state things like the MAJORITY spoke when the president got re-elected, when Abortion rights were upheld at the polls by the voters etc....little things like that which I know irritates the hell out of you.

So it appears that either
    A)The conservatives aren't doing too well OR
    B) the MAJORITY of people in the states are actually LIBERALS.

Maybe both...

We can deduece that what we learn from your rantings and ravings is that MOST AMERICANS pretty much ignore the conservative movement and it's message. Because there is no real message, just hate and intollerance and a total disregard for the laws established in this country, being spewed in the name of Nationalism.

Got it now? I didn't think so...but keep at it, sooner or later that gray matter between your ears will actually start working the way it was designed to.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 02-06-2006 at 06:01 PM.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

So, lets see... what you're telling us is that anyone that is (your label)
    conservative; as I take it, infers a Republican, has NEVER committed a crime,
    "whacked out" as in showing up to be mentally imbalanced and is ALWAYS
    truthful, honest and the epitomy of integrity?

Wow, where do they keep their Halos stored!

I'll say again, the TOO-goody two-shoes really make me nervous; condeming
    and judging people and desiring to appear the chosen ones to determine
    moral correctness. Makes me want to keep my eye on the nearest exit
    at all times!

In any event, every now and then something shifts and we get a view
    of what is hidden behind some of their thin "veneer."

Let's try again...now, take your time. These prosecutors are fighting to keep this creature in custody. His attorneys and his "doctors" think he is good to go. Who but a liberal would even dream of easing restrictions on the eye-eater? There, now....better?