+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 22

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,383

    Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Let's see if we have it right...if someone is caught practicing...lets say--Christianity in an islamic country, they could have their head cut off. But, if someone publishes a cartoon of the leader of the islamics, they will...well...cut off their head. Never mind that the leader was a child-abusing, war-mongering pervert. Like criminals everywhere, something like this is just an excuse to do what they want to do, anyway. They hold weak-kneed, liberal, p.c. Europe hostage for fear of 'offending their delicate sensibilities'. Animals. Scum. Terminal. We have liberals making pieces of art portraying Christ, an ACTUAL icon of peace and love, as excrement and worse. You don't see us stringing them up, do ya? Although.....
    ************************************************** ********

    Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    By Paivi Munter in Stockholm, Martin Arnold in Paris and Bertrand Benoit in Berlin
    Published: February 2 2006 20:48 | Last updated: February 3 2006 08:50

    European leaders tried to contain the controversy over newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed on Thursday, as the international dispute escalated into a consumer boycott and risked the gravest cultural clash with the Muslim world since the Salman Rushdie affair.

    Publication of the cartoons in Spain, Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands triggered condemnation in the Muslim and Arab world, where consumers turned their anger on Danish companies. Spains El Pais ran the cartoons on its front page on Friday.

    Arla, the dairy company based in Denmark, where the cartoons were first published, admitted on Thursday its sales in some Middle East countries had fallen to zero. Carrefour, the French retailer, said it had removed Danish products from shelves in its Middle East operations.

    Other Danish companies targeted in the boycott include Lego, the toymaker, and Novo Nordisk, the pharmaceuticals company.

    As popular protests spread, the leaders of Egypt and Afghanistan warned the cartoons had offended millions of Muslims and could be exploited by terrorists in their war against the west. Up to 300 militant Muslims attacked the Danish embassy in Jakarta on Friday. The protestors dispersed after an hour and there were no arrests.

    Any insult to the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) is an insult to more than 1bn Muslims and an act like this must never be allowed to be repeated, said Hamid Karzai, Afghan president, strong western ally and moderate Muslim leader.

    Gunmen in Gaza surrounded the local European Union office and threatened to kidnap citizens of countries where newspapers had published the cartoons.

    In an effort to calm Muslim anger, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish prime minister, was set to appear last night on the al-Arabiya satellite news channel to explain his governments position. He also called a meeting of all foreign ambassadors in Copenhagen for today as the debate in Europe polarised defenders of press freedom and religious groups.

    Ursula Plassnik, foreign minister of Austria, which holds the rotating EU presidency, said she understood the offence Muslims felt, adding that EU leaders needed to clearly condemn acts that insult religion.

    Kofi Annan, the United Nations secretary-general, said he believed freedom of the press should always be exercised in a way that fully respects the religious beliefs and tenets of all religions.

    The dispute began on September 30, when Jyllands-Posten, Denmarks biggest newspaper, published 12 cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, a move considered blasphemous in Islam. One of the cartoons showed the Prophet with a bomb under his turban. The Danish newspaper later apologised but the row escalated this week after several European newspapers reprinted the cartoons to assert the right to free speech.

    The BBC on Thursday used footage of newspapers carrying the cartoons in its 1pm television news bulletin and on BBC News 24, the rolling news channel, and ITV News said it would show similar footage in the context of it being a news story.

    Most daily UK newspapers decided not to reproduce the cartoons on Thursday. One cartoon appeared on The Spectators website but was quickly taken down.

    The French government criticised France Soir, the first French newspaper to reprint the images. In Germany, religious and minority representatives sought to calm after Die Welt, the conservative daily, reprinted the cartoons on Wednesday.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    I support the right of anybody to openly and brazenly mock, parody and satirize organized religion and other mythology openly.

    In a strange way, we agree wholeheartedly and yet remain on opposite sides of that fence.

    I promised myself I wouldn't respond to your typical hateful screeds (they are beneath me), but this is moderate and rational of you, so I feel like I can throw in my two cents.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,383

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    This is sort of where liberals 'meet' terrorists. Well... I guess they are in agreement on a lot of issues, aren't they? Liberals are against all sorts of free speech...any speech that they find disagreeable. If you say something they do not want to hear, regardless of the veracity of it, they will paint you with an offensive label. This is the tyranny of political correctness. I agree that people should be able to say whatever they want. THAT is free speech. I DON'T, however, agree with giving our tax money to people so they can create hateful, blasphemous works of 'art' instead of finding a job.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    This is sort of where liberals 'meet' terrorists. Well... I guess they are in agreement on a lot of issues, aren't they? Liberals are against all sorts of free speech...any speech that they find disagreeable. If you say something they do not want to hear, regardless of the veracity of it, they will paint you with an offensive label. This is the tyranny of political correctness. I agree that people should be able to say whatever they want. THAT is free speech. I DON'T, however, agree with giving our tax money to people so they can create hateful, blasphemous works of 'art' instead of finding a job.
    Do you see the difference between criticizing what somebody says, and taking away their right to say it? I label pretty much everything that comes out your hate-filled cesspool of a brain as offensive, but that's my right as much as it's yours to waste more of your time partisanly bashing people as opposed to doing anything to make your country a better place.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,383

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Do you see the difference between criticizing what somebody says, and taking away their right to say it? I label pretty much everything that comes out your hate-filled cesspool of a brain as offensive, but that's my right as much as it's yours to waste more of your time partisanly bashing people as opposed to doing anything to make your country a better place.

    And I support, even celebrate, your right to be mistaken or uninformed on nearly every issue and still attack other positions. Political correctness has NOTHING to do with criticism and everything to do with creating a climate where certain words and phrases, truthful or not, are NOT ALLOWED.
    Last edited by pwrone; 02-03-2006 at 09:34 PM.

  6. #6
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    And I support, even celebrate, your right to be mistaken or uninformed on nearly every issue and still attack other positions. Political correctness has NOTHING to do with criticism and everything to do with creating a climate where certain words and phrases, truthful or not, are NOT ALLOWED.

    I'll told you already, I'll try to remember NOT to call you a MORON but only to refer to you by MENTALLY CHALLENGED.

    Geez, you make such an issue out of everything.

    Lady Mod

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    622

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I'll told you already, I'll try to remember NOT to call you a MORON but only to refer to you by MENTALLY CHALLENGED.

    Geez, you make such an issue out of everything.

    Lady Mod
    He is like the "One Eyed Jack", so wrapped up in the many biases of his own little world that he's incapable of an objective perspective on the stereotypes programmed into his own little "mind". He actually thinks that "libruls" are the only ones guilty of "political correctness". Yet, he spends all his time here heaping mindless opprobrium on those who don't goose-step to his own tune. Amusing...Pathetic, but amusing.

  8. #8
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    So now they have some object examples of what it feels like to have
    somebody be disrespectful to their religion.

    What about them using this object example to have some respect for others
    right to choose their religion and it not be Islam!

  9. #9
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    He is like the "One Eyed Jack", so wrapped up in the many biases of his own little world that he's incapable of an objective perspective on the stereotypes programmed into his own little "mind". He actually thinks that "libruls" are the only ones guilty of "political correctness". Yet, he spends all his time here heaping mindless opprobrium on those who don't goose-step to his own tune. Amusing...Pathetic, but amusing.

    Well, since it bothers MENTALLY CHALLENGED so much we should strive to only call him by "Politically Correct" insulting names. ;)

    Lady Mod

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    622

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Let's see if we have it right...if someone is caught practicing...lets say--Christianity in an islamic country, they could have their head cut off. But, if someone publishes a cartoon of the leader of the islamics, they will...well...cut off their head. Never mind that the leader was a child-abusing, war-mongering pervert. Like criminals everywhere, something like this is just an excuse to do what they want to do, anyway. They hold weak-kneed, liberal, p.c. Europe hostage for fear of 'offending their delicate sensibilities'. Animals. Scum. Terminal. We have liberals making pieces of art portraying Christ, an ACTUAL icon of peace and love, as excrement and worse. You don't see us stringing them up, do ya? Although.....
    ************************************************** ********

    Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    By Paivi Munter in Stockholm, Martin Arnold in Paris and Bertrand Benoit in Berlin
    Published: February 2 2006 20:48 | Last updated: February 3 2006 08:50

    European leaders tried to contain the controversy over newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed on Thursday, as the international dispute escalated into a consumer boycott and risked the gravest cultural clash with the Muslim world since the Salman Rushdie affair.

    Publication of the cartoons in Spain, Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands triggered condemnation in the Muslim and Arab world, where consumers turned their anger on Danish companies. Spains El Pais ran the cartoons on its front page on Friday.

    Arla, the dairy company based in Denmark, where the cartoons were first published, admitted on Thursday its sales in some Middle East countries had fallen to zero. Carrefour, the French retailer, said it had removed Danish products from shelves in its Middle East operations.

    Other Danish companies targeted in the boycott include Lego, the toymaker, and Novo Nordisk, the pharmaceuticals company.

    As popular protests spread, the leaders of Egypt and Afghanistan warned the cartoons had offended millions of Muslims and could be exploited by terrorists in their war against the west. Up to 300 militant Muslims attacked the Danish embassy in Jakarta on Friday. The protestors dispersed after an hour and there were no arrests.

    Any insult to the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) is an insult to more than 1bn Muslims and an act like this must never be allowed to be repeated, said Hamid Karzai, Afghan president, strong western ally and moderate Muslim leader.

    Gunmen in Gaza surrounded the local European Union office and threatened to kidnap citizens of countries where newspapers had published the cartoons.

    In an effort to calm Muslim anger, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish prime minister, was set to appear last night on the al-Arabiya satellite news channel to explain his governments position. He also called a meeting of all foreign ambassadors in Copenhagen for today as the debate in Europe polarised defenders of press freedom and religious groups.

    Ursula Plassnik, foreign minister of Austria, which holds the rotating EU presidency, said she understood the offence Muslims felt, adding that EU leaders needed to clearly condemn acts that insult religion.

    Kofi Annan, the United Nations secretary-general, said he believed freedom of the press should always be exercised in a way that fully respects the religious beliefs and tenets of all religions.

    The dispute began on September 30, when Jyllands-Posten, Denmarks biggest newspaper, published 12 cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, a move considered blasphemous in Islam. One of the cartoons showed the Prophet with a bomb under his turban. The Danish newspaper later apologised but the row escalated this week after several European newspapers reprinted the cartoons to assert the right to free speech.

    The BBC on Thursday used footage of newspapers carrying the cartoons in its 1pm television news bulletin and on BBC News 24, the rolling news channel, and ITV News said it would show similar footage in the context of it being a news story.

    Most daily UK newspapers decided not to reproduce the cartoons on Thursday. One cartoon appeared on The Spectators website but was quickly taken down.

    The French government criticised France Soir, the first French newspaper to reprint the images. In Germany, religious and minority representatives sought to calm after Die Welt, the conservative daily, reprinted the cartoons on Wednesday.

    Frankly, the mentality of these crazed, extremist, rigidly conservative Islamist's is far more akin to your own profile than anything associated with liberalism.

    The only essential difference between them and those of your ilk, is the dogma and iconography. Everything else seems, basically, indistinguishable.
    Last edited by dante; 02-04-2006 at 03:42 AM.

  11. #11
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    Frankly, the mentality of these crazed, extremist, rigidly conservative Islamist's is far more akin to your own profile than anything associated with liberalism.

    The only essential difference between them and those of your ilk, is the dogma and iconography. Everything else seems, basically, indistinguishable.

    Wow, you're right. I never noticed that before but damn, he sounds like Them.

    Lady Mod

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    This issue of free speech censorship is abhorent to conservatives and liberals alike and I think it is one more demonstration of the duplicitous nature of our "peaceful" muslim friends. Theyre just misunderstood and a little confused. They like to have it both ways and want us in the west to realize that it is okay for them to behave the way they do when things dont go their way.

    And they can always blame their despicable actions and reactions on Israel and doing things in the name of their religion. How convenient.

  13. #13
    umdkook Guest

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    [QUOTE=pwrone]Let's see if we have it right...if someone is caught practicing...lets say--Christianity in an islamic country, they could have their head cut off. But, if someone publishes a cartoon of the leader of the islamics, they will...well...cut off their head. Never mind that the leader was a child-abusing, war-mongering pervert. Like criminals everywhere, something like this is just an excuse to do what they want to do, anyway. They hold weak-kneed, liberal, p.c. Europe hostage for fear of 'offending their delicate sensibilities'. Animals. Scum. Terminal. We have liberals making pieces of art portraying Christ, an ACTUAL icon of peace and love, as excrement and worse. You don't see us stringing them up, do ya? Although.....
    ************************************************** ********
    amazing how this turns into an anit-liberal thing...

    some people are so ****ed up its beyond me.

  14. #14
    umdkook Guest

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    This is sort of where liberals 'meet' terrorists. Well... I guess they are in agreement on a lot of issues, aren't they? Liberals are against all sorts of free speech...any speech that they find disagreeable. If you say something they do not want to hear, regardless of the veracity of it, they will paint you with an offensive label. This is the tyranny of political correctness. I agree that people should be able to say whatever they want. THAT is free speech. I DON'T, however, agree with giving our tax money to people so they can create hateful, blasphemous works of 'art' instead of finding a job.
    WHAT TEH HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU???
    HOW DOES THIS LEAD YOU TO SMASH LIBERALS??? ARE U ****IN NUTS??

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nunya
    Posts
    996

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    Quote Originally Posted by DeceivedOne
    This issue of free speech censorship is abhorent to conservatives and liberals alike and I think it is one more demonstration of the duplicitous nature of our "peaceful" muslim friends. Theyre just misunderstood and a little confused. They like to have it both ways and want us in the west to realize that it is okay for them to behave the way they do when things dont go their way.

    And they can always blame their despicable actions and reactions on Israel and doing things in the name of their religion. How convenient.
    Nice balance! Welcome to the board.

    It is queerly convenient for them isn't it?

  16. #16
    umdkook Guest

    Re: Reprints of offensive cartoons spark Islamic rage

    i didnt know this stuff could be taken this far with Muslims.

    to think that the complete destruction of foregin embassies, the desire to halt trade with certain countries, and to expel all foreign nationals in your country simply over a cartoon depiction is UNREAL to me.

    even if somebody displayed Jesus in teh most hideious and disrespectful way, the most devout christian ( i hope) would not call for anythign even close to this.

    maybe my mom was right about "these people"

Similar Threads

  1. Jewish Response to Mohamed Cartoons
    By KishmeernTuches in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 10:42 PM
  2. Speed Spark
    By evilfuzzball in forum Internet Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 07:08 AM
  3. Immigration cartoons
    By Ronald in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 03:48 AM
  4. feel it now incest cartoons
    By AnalizatorSTEL in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 04:19 PM
  5. Popes remarks about Islam spark attacks
    By gools68 in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 09:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
actions, acts, admit, admitted, age, agreement, ain, allowed, anders, animals, appeared, arab, art, attacked, attitude, aus, austria, balance, based, basically, believers, bet, better, biggest, blame, bomb, boycott, brain, break, bro, bur, buy, call, called, calm, car, cartoons, caught, cer, chan, channel, child, chris, christian, christians, citizens, clash, close, coming, complete, con, conservative, conservatives, consumer, consumers, coo, correct, countries, country, criminals, dam, damn, dan, day, decided, demons, des, desire, destruction, didn, dog, don, dont, dow, drop, early, east, egypt, embassy, error, essential, europe, examples, extreme, face, fair, fear, feel, feels, felt, fence, find, finding, folks, foreign, fox, fra, france, free, friday, front, fully, general, good, goose, groups, guess, had, head, hear, hell, hey, his, hold, holds, hole, holy, hope, house, ial, ian, ici, ico, icon, ill, images, ime, include, insult, insulting, inter, ion, islamic, isn, israelis, issue, issues, italy, jack, jesus, job, killed, last, lead, leader, leaders, lets, liberal, liberals, likes, local, logistics, lot, love, lunatics, making, mark, marti, martin, mea, meet, meeting, mentally, millions, mind, minister, mock, money, more, moron, muslims, nations, nature, needed, newspaper, nice, night, office, only, operations, opposite, p.c., page, pathetic, peace, peaceful, people, personally, pervert, pharmaceuticals, place, political, politically, popular, por, pos, position, post, presiden, presidency, prices, prime, products, profile, promised, promotes, prophet, quickly, quote, rage, raise, rand, rasmussen, real, reason, religious, remember, removed, respect, respond, ria, row, salman, scum, secretary, september, set, shoo, showed, shows, simply, sort, sounds, speech, spends, step, stuff, sul, system, taken, targeted, tax, terror, text, the leader, they, thinks, threatened, throw, thursday, tie, ties, time, today, told, toooooo, totally, trade, tune, une, union, united, unreal, urban, vince, viole, violent, war, warned, waste, ways, weak, wednesday, week, welcome, west, western, worse, wrong, years

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •