+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Really Happened

I'm rather surprised that Pwrone didn't beat me to posting this story. I know what a fan he is of our Constitutional Freedoms. Well, maybe not for everyone... ;)

What Really Happened
    By Cindy Sheehan
    Wednesday 01 February 2006

As most of you have probably heard, I was arrested before the State of the Union address last night.

I am speechless with fury at what happened and with grief over what we have lost in our country.

There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press (shocker). So this is what really happened:

This afternoon at the People's State of the Union Address in DC, where I was joined by Congresspersons Lynn Woolsey and John Conyers, Ann Wright, Malik Rahim and John Cavanagh, Lynn brought me a ticket to the State of the Union address. At that time, I was wearing the shirt that said: 2245 Dead. How many more?

After the PSOTU press conference, I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me, and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket, and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her. I, in fact, had given the ticket to John Bruhns, who is in Iraq Veterans Against the War. However, Lynn's office had already called the media, and everyone knew I was going to be there, so I sucked it up and went.

I got the ticket back from John, and I met one of Congresswoman Barbara Lee's staffers in the Longworth Congressional Office building and we went to the Capitol via the underground tunnel. I went through security once, then had to use the rest room and went through security again.

My ticket was in the 5th gallery, front row, fourth seat in. The person who in a few minutes was to arrest me, helped me to my seat.

I had just sat down and I was warm from climbing 3 flights of stairs back up from the bathroom so I unzipped my jacket. I turned to the right to take my left arm out, when the same officer saw my shirt and yelled, "Protester." He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat, and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs. I said something like "I'm going, do you have to be so rough?" By the way, his name is Mike Weight.

The officer ran with me to the elevators, yelling at everyone to move out of the way. When we got to the elevators, he cuffed me and took me outside to await a squad car. On the way out, someone behind me said, "That's Cindy Sheehan." At which point the officer who arrested me said, "Take these steps slowly." I said, "You didn't care about being careful when you were dragging me up the other steps." He said, "That's because you were protesting." Wow, I got hauled out of the People's House because I was "Protesting."

I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things ... I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there, and I thought every once in awhile they would show me, and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable, that I would be arrested ... maybe I would have, but I didn't.

There have already been many wild stories out there.

I have some lawyers looking into filing a First Amendment lawsuit against the government for what happened tonight. I will file it. It is time to take our freedoms and our country back.

I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether or not he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government. That's why I am going to take my freedoms and liberties back. That's why I am not going to let BushCo take anything else away from me ... or you.

I am so appreciative of the couple of hundred of protesters who came to the jail while I was locked up to show their support. We have so much potential for good. There is so much good in so many people.

Four hours and 2 jails after I was arrested, I was let out. Again, I am so upset and sore it is hard to think straight.

Keep up the struggle ... I promise you, I will too.

_____

Go to Original
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...013101521.html

Sheehan Arrested before Speech

By Clarence Williams and Allan Lengel
    The Washington Post

Activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested last night after demonstrating in the spectators gallery of the House of Representatives as part of a larger war protest that was held outside the Capitol.

Sheehan, who was apparently given a gallery ticket by a member of Congress, began to attract notice about 30 minutes to an hour before President Bush's State of the Union speech.

Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, opened her jacket to reveal a T-shirt that, according to a supporter, gave the number of U.S. war dead and asked, "How many more?"

She was also vocal, said U.S. Capitol Police Chief Terrance W. Gainer, and after she ignored instructions to close her jacket and quiet down, she was led out and arrested. Demonstrating in the House gallery is prohibited.

Sheehan's sister Dede Miller told a reporter that Rep. Lynn C. Woolsey (D-Calif.) had invited Sheehan as her guest. Woolsey could not be reached immediately for comment.

Late last night, about 50 protesters marched to the Capitol Police station to demand Sheehan's release. One of them was arrested. Miller said Sheehan was being processed early this morning.

Earlier last night, a band of banner-waving antiwar demonstrators clustered outside the Capitol and took the start of Bush's speech as a cue to let loose with an ear-splitting outburst of noise.

The group gathered at the statue of Ulysses S. Grant on the west side of the Capitol grounds for the protest, which was organized under the slogan of "The World Can't Wait - Drive Out the Bush Regime."

At the moment when a nearby TV set showed Bush beginning his address in the House chamber, the protesters responded with bongo drums, maracas and whistles.

The protesters' Web site urged participants to "Bring the Noise and Drown out Bush's lies."

As the president concluded, the noise reached a peak as protesters banged pots and pans, shouting "Bush step down, people rise up."

At one point, demonstrators sang peace anthems of an earlier day, including "Give Peace a Chance" and "All You Need Is Love."

One of the speakers at the rally before the outbreak of tumult identified himself as Bill Mitchell and said his son, Army Sgt. Mike Mitchell, was killed in Baghdad in April 2004.

"We knew this war was wrong from the beginning," he said, "and we are not going to stop speaking" until the troops are brought home.

"We are going to demand that our government bring them home. We need to bring an end to this insanity," he said as the temperature fell and the wind gusted.

A speaker identified as Ann Wright, who had served in the State Department and as an Army officer, called on the protesters to organize for this year's congressional elections as a means of stopping the war. "We've got to put some spine into people who serve us right here," she said, pointing toward the Capitol.
    ---------
    Staff writer Martin Weil contributed to this report.

----------

Another story:

It was one thing for the Democrats in Congress to hold their applause in protest of President Bush during his State of the Union address Tuesday night. But anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan voiced her disapproval a bit too loudly for Capitol police, who arrested her on unlawful-conduct charges for refusing to cover up her T-shirt, which decried casualties in the Iraq war via the message "2,245 Dead. How Many More?"

MORE

Re: What Really Happened

It looks like Cindy Sheehan wasn't the only one evicted from the building.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060201/...speech_young_1

Wed Feb 1, 1:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The wife of a senior House of Representatives Republican was told to leave the House chamber during President George W. Bush's State of the Union speech for wearing a shirt bearing words of support for U.S. troops.

"Shame, shame," Rep. Bill Young of Florida said on the House floor on
    Wednesday, condemning the treatment of his wife Beverly by the U.S. Capitol
    Police.

"She was ordered to leave the gallery, because she was doing ... what the
    president said we should all do
    ," Young said. "She had on this shirt. A very
    conservative shirt, long sleeves, high neck, but it says support our troops."

Also on Tuesday night anti-Iraq war activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested in one of the House galleries before the speech for wearing a shirt that said: 2245 Dead. How many more?

Young, who chairs the House Appropriations defence subcommittee, said his
    wife "supports our troops on every day, every hour," visiting wounded soldiers at military hospitals and helping their families. Young said a guard at the House chamber called her "a demonstrator and a protester."

Her shirt said "Support the Troops Defending Our Freedom." A U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman said the matter was still under investigation, and declined to comment further.

Lady Mod,

It is clear you are of the hardcore left leaning faction of the democratic party. Everyone knows that Bush is a complete tool. Tell us where you stand on substantative issues? Guns, taxes, Big drug and oil companies, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Samael
    Lady Mod,

It is clear you are of the hardcore left leaning faction of the democratic party. Everyone knows that Bush is a complete tool. Tell us where you stand on substantative issues? Guns, taxes, Big drug and oil companies, etc...
    A complete TOOL or FOOL? I'm not a hardcore left leaner anything. I stand up for what I believe is right. I determine what I believe by studying my bible, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, laws, codes and statutes, etc... and using a little common sense. You really want to watch these fools jump my case don't you? LOL

Guns: The 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees me the right to bear arms.

Amendment II
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Telling me I must register them and pay a fee is infringing on my rights. When they decide to call marshall law and confiscate guns, whose guns do you think they are coming after? Those that register them or those that don't?

Taxes: They are illegal.

Title 15 U.S.C. § 17 Anti-trust laws... ... The labor of a human being is not a commodity or article of commerce...and therefore cannot be made subject to any tax as though it were such.

Big Drug companies: They aren't there to cure disease. Disease is a BIG BIG money maker. Disease is profitable to big drug companies.

Over 750,000 people actually do die in the United States every year. They die from something rarely perceived by the public as dangerous: modern medicine.

According to the study led by Null, which involved a painstaking review of thousands of medical records, the United States spends $282 billion annually on deaths due to medical mistakes, or iatrogenic deaths. And that's a conservative estimate; only a fraction of medical errors are reported, according to the study.

Prescription drugs are only a part of the U.S. healthcare system's miserable failings. In fact, outpatient deaths, bedsore deaths and malnutrition deaths each account for higher death rates than adverse drug reactions. The problems run deep and cannot be remedied without drastic, widespread change in the system's money and ethics.

The first issue – money – is the main reason the medical industry cannot seem to change. Prescribing more drugs and recommending more surgeries means more profits. Getting more drugs approved by the FDA, regardless of their safety, means more money for the pharmaceutical industry. As the healthcare system stands today, physicians and drug companies can't seem to pass up earning loads of money, even if a few hundred thousand people lose their lives in the process. Even in drastic cases of deadly drugs, everyone involved has a scapegoat: Drug companies can blame the FDA for approving their product and the doctors for over-prescribing it, and doctors can blame the patients for wanting it and not properly weighing the risks.

What ultimately arises is a question of ethics. In layman's ter.ms, ethics are the rules or moral guidelines that govern the conduct of people or professions. Some ethics are ingrained from childhood, but some are specifically set forth. For example, nearly all medical schools have their new doctors take a modern form of the Hippocratic Oath. While few versions are identical, none include setting aside proper medical care in favor of money-making practices.

MORE

Oil companies: Not enough has been done to investigate alternative methods of energy for both homes and transportation. I walk whenever possible, keep the heat turned down, the air conditioning turned up, have good insulation, double paned windows, just about anything I have found to cut fuel consumption. I'm looking at solar shingles (like solar panels only they look just like shingles, very cool) and I have a fuel effecient vehicle and looking seriously at the hybrids.

Solar and wind energy production is ready - now - to solve many of our problems, but this truth is being systematically wiped out by an oil industry, keeping close tabs on the "alternative" energy models. Turns out that solar Isn't "Alternative" at all. In fact it's potentially our primary source. But this fact threatens to imperil the fortunes, privileges and destiny of our industrial oligarchy... and they are fighting to keep their hands on power - their fingers wrapped around our necks. More...

I have no feelings one way or the other about ETC. ;) You will have to be more specific if you really want to know. I would have given many many links to information on just these subjects above, but why overwhelm the thread? There will be few who will actually read them. LOL. I don't have the answers for all of these, it takes many more than just one person standing up and saying something is wrong. But I do help to educate people who have a desire to learn. Get enough people willing to stand together and you can make an impact.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 02-02-2006 at 02:23 AM.

Oh, and for the record Samael? I'm not poor, I'm not even close to poor. I've been poor before, but that was quite awhile ago and I have no desire to revisit that condition. However, my husband and I both believe we have a duty whenever possible to fight for others to enable them to climb out of their cycle of low income. Not necessarily through handouts, but with education, with fair wages that keep up with inflation and housing and essentials to living costs that don't put these necessary things out of reach of the average citizen.

Lady Mod

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I'm rather surprised that Pwrone didn't beat me to posting this story. I know what a fan he is of our Constitutional Freedoms. Well, maybe not for everyone... ;)

What Really Happened
    By Cindy Sheehan

As most of you have probably heard, I was arrested before the State of the Union address last night.

I am speechless with fury at what happened and with grief over what we have lost in our country.

There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press (shocker). So this is what really happened:

This afternoon at the People's State of the Union Address in DC, where I was joined by Congresspersons Lynn Woolsey and John Conyers, Ann Wright, Malik Rahim and John Cavanagh, Lynn brought me a ticket to the State of the Union address. At that time, I was wearing the shirt that said: 2245 Dead. How many more?

After the PSOTU press conference, I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me, and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket, and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her. I, in fact, had given the ticket to John Bruhns, who is in Iraq Veterans Against the War. However, Lynn's office had already called the media, and everyone knew I was going to be there, so I sucked it up and went.

I got the ticket back from John, and I met one of Congresswoman Barbara Lee's staffers in the Longworth Congressional Office building and we went to the Capitol via the underground tunnel. I went through security once, then had to use the rest room and went through security again.

My ticket was in the 5th gallery, front row, fourth seat in. The person who in a few minutes was to arrest me, helped me to my seat.

I had just sat down and I was warm from climbing 3 flights of stairs back up from the bathroom so I unzipped my jacket. I turned to the right to take my left arm out, when the same officer saw my shirt and yelled, "Protester." He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat, and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs. I said something like "I'm going, do you have to be so rough?" By the way, his name is Mike Weight.

The officer ran with me to the elevators, yelling at everyone to move out of the way. When we got to the elevators, he cuffed me and took me outside to await a squad car. On the way out, someone behind me said, "That's Cindy Sheehan." At which point the officer who arrested me said, "Take these steps slowly." I said, "You didn't care about being careful when you were dragging me up the other steps." He said, "That's because you were protesting." Wow, I got hauled out of the People's House because I was "Protesting."

I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things ... I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there, and I thought every once in awhile they would show me, and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable, that I would be arrested ... maybe I would have, but I didn't.

There have already been many wild stories out there.

I have some lawyers looking into filing a First Amendment lawsuit against the government for what happened tonight. I will file it. It is time to take our freedoms and our country back.

I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether or not he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government. That's why I am going to take my freedoms and liberties back. That's why I am not going to let BushCo take anything else away from me ... or you.

I am so appreciative of the couple of hundred of protesters who came to the jail while I was locked up to show their support. We have so much potential for good. There is so much good in so many people.

Four hours and 2 jails after I was arrested, I was let out. Again, I am so upset and sore it is hard to think straight.

Keep up the struggle ... I promise you, I will too.

_____

Go to Original
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...013101521.html

Sheehan Arrested before Speech

By Clarence Williams and Allan Lengel
    The Washington Post

Activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested last night after demonstrating in the spectators gallery of the House of Representatives as part of a larger war protest that was held outside the Capitol.

Sheehan, who was apparently given a gallery ticket by a member of Congress, began to attract notice about 30 minutes to an hour before President Bush's State of the Union speech.

Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, opened her jacket to reveal a T-shirt that, according to a supporter, gave the number of U.S. war dead and asked, "How many more?"

She was also vocal, said U.S. Capitol Police Chief Terrance W. Gainer, and after she ignored instructions to close her jacket and quiet down, she was led out and arrested. Demonstrating in the House gallery is prohibited.

Sheehan's sister Dede Miller told a reporter that Rep. Lynn C. Woolsey (D-Calif.) had invited Sheehan as her guest. Woolsey could not be reached immediately for comment.

Late last night, about 50 protesters marched to the Capitol Police station to demand Sheehan's release. One of them was arrested. Miller said Sheehan was being processed early this morning.

Earlier last night, a band of banner-waving antiwar demonstrators clustered outside the Capitol and took the start of Bush's speech as a cue to let loose with an ear-splitting outburst of noise.

The group gathered at the statue of Ulysses S. Grant on the west side of the Capitol grounds for the protest, which was organized under the slogan of "The World Can't Wait - Drive Out the Bush Regime."

At the moment when a nearby TV set showed Bush beginning his address in the House chamber, the protesters responded with bongo drums, maracas and whistles.

The protesters' Web site urged participants to "Bring the Noise and Drown out Bush's lies."

As the president concluded, the noise reached a peak as protesters banged pots and pans, shouting "Bush step down, people rise up."

At one point, demonstrators sang peace anthems of an earlier day, including "Give Peace a Chance" and "All You Need Is Love."

One of the speakers at the rally before the outbreak of tumult identified himself as Bill Mitchell and said his son, Army Sgt. Mike Mitchell, was killed in Baghdad in April 2004.

"We knew this war was wrong from the beginning," he said, "and we are not going to stop speaking" until the troops are brought home.

"We are going to demand that our government bring them home. We need to bring an end to this insanity," he said as the temperature fell and the wind gusted.

A speaker identified as Ann Wright, who had served in the State Department and as an Army officer, called on the protesters to organize for this year's congressional elections as a means of stopping the war. "We've got to put some spine into people who serve us right here," she said, pointing toward the Capitol.
    ---------
    Staff writer Martin Weil contributed to this report.

----------

Another story:

It was one thing for the Democrats in Congress to hold their applause in protest of President Bush during his State of the Union address Tuesday night. But anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan voiced her disapproval a bit too loudly for Capitol police, who arrested her on unlawful-conduct charges for refusing to cover up her T-shirt, which decried casualties in the Iraq war via the message "2,245 Dead. How Many More?"

MORE

yeah, it is folks like Sheehan that there are those nasty little ambigious
    clauses with a hook in them in the law codes; if they cannot get you
    legally on any serious charge they will harass the S+++ out of somebody
    with those nice little things, designed and enacted for just that purpose.
    After all, the Sheeple must be kept in line, made to conform, lest they
    REALLY begin to think that they have freedom under democracy! :rolleyes:

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...CH-SHEEHAN.xml

Capitol police apologize to activist Sheehan

By JoAnne Allen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Capitol Police dropped charges against activist Cindy Sheehan on Wednesday and apologized for arresting her in the House of Representatives chamber shortly before President Bush's State of the Union address.

Sheehan, who became a central figure in the U.S. anti-war movement after her son Casey was killed in the Iraq war, was taken from the Capitol in handcuffs and charged with unlawful conduct after refusing to cover an anti-war slogan on her T-shirt.

The Capitol Police said in a statement that it had reviewed the incident and determined the arrest was unwarranted.

"While officers acted in a manner consistent with the rules of decorum enforced by the department in the House Gallery for years, neither Mrs. Sheehan's manner of dress or initial conduct warranted law enforcement intervention," the statement said.

Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer also apologized to the wife of a House Republican who was told to leave the chamber during Bush's speech for wearing a shirt bearing words of support for U.S. troops.

Rep. Bill Young of Florida had condemned the treatment of his wife, Beverly. Young, who chairs the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, said on the House floor his wife was called "a demonstrator and a protester" for doing what Bush had asked of Americans: supporting U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq.

The Capitol Police statement said neither guest should have been confronted about her expressive T-shirt.

"The officers made a good faith, but mistaken, effort to enforce an old unwritten interpretation of the prohibitions about demonstrating in the Capitol. The policy and procedures were too vague," Gainer said. "The failure to adequately prepare the officers is mine."

Sheehan, who won wide attention with an anti-war vigil outside Bush's Texas ranch, was attending the speech as the guest of Rep. Lynn Woolsey, a California Democrat.

In a speech on the House floor, Woolsey said Sheehan wore a shirt that highlighted the number of dead U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

"Since when is free speech conditional on whether you agree with the president of the United States?"

Woolsey asked.

"How can we claim to be fighting on behalf of freedom around the world, making the world safe for freedom when we are smothering freedom here at home?" she said.

The Capitol Police department said it would ask the U.S. attorney's office not to pursue the unlawful conduct charge against Sheehan. The charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison.

umdkook Guest

im not too sure i understand the problem. not that the general public would know something like the fact that "Demonstrating in the House gallery is prohibited," but evidently it is,.....and rightly so.

It truly is sad that her son was killed in Iraq, as is all the deaths and injuries that are ocurring there even now, and no one is saying she shouldnt be able to voice her feelings/thoughts/whatever, but there are limits to our freedoms. we are free to talk about our president surely, but if we talk about how we wish someone would kill our president 2 feet in front of the White House gates, well thats just asking for it.

she deserved to at least get kicked out if she wore such a shirt and exposed it, and im sure her story is not as "factual" as she claims. Like she said, "Lynn's office had already called the media, and everyone knew I was going to be there, so I sucked it up and went." hmmmm after admitting that, she wants people to believe she didnt mean to expose her shirt and that she would have taken it off.

have some sort of class, its not the bolshevik revolution, its the State of the Union address in Capitol Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    im not too sure i understand the problem. not that the general public would know something like the fact that "Demonstrating in the House gallery is prohibited," but evidently it is,.....and rightly so.

It truly is sad that her son was killed in Iraq, as is all the deaths and injuries that are ocurring there even now, and no one is saying she shouldnt be able to voice her feelings/thoughts/whatever, but there are limits to our freedoms. we are free to talk about our president surely, but if we talk about how we wish someone would kill our president 2 feet in front of the White House gates, well thats just asking for it.

she deserved to at least get kicked out if she wore such a shirt and exposed it, and im sure her story is not as "factual" as she claims. Like she said, "Lynn's office had already called the media, and everyone knew I was going to be there, so I sucked it up and went." hmmmm after admitting that, she wants people to believe she didnt mean to expose her shirt and that she would have taken it off.

have some sort of class, its not the bolshevik revolution, its the State of the Union address in Capitol Hill.
    She wasn't demonstrating and wearing a t-shirt, regardless of what it says is not considered demonstrating. Sitting quietly in a room full of people is NOT demonstrating. Her account is factual, there are numerous stories that back it up.

Read the apology, it's the post just above yours. THE POLICE WERE WRONG.

Lady Mod

umdkook Guest

of course they have to apologize becuase it is somewhat ridiculous. i never doubted her story, just her account of her "intentions".

but reading her own statements, it is clear she wanted to be seen and wanted attention taken away from the speech. she even says the media was the only reason she ended up going. no one tuned in to see Sheehan, they tuned in to watch their President give an important speech spelled out in teh Constitution.

maybe they should not have "man handled" her or even arrested her, but they sure as hell shoulda thrown her the hell out. shes already been labeled "troublemaker", she knew what she was doing.

the article says the police were not effectively prepared for such a situation (are they ever prepared ?), but it also says demonstrating in teh House is prohibited, to me, wearing a controversial shirt that to teh SOTU address is demonstrating.

just another Sheehan story to make the news.

would you be on the side of a senator who buddys up with Chavez and openly criticizes the President arm in arm with him?? she is no different. shame on teh media for giving her more attention.
    Last edited by umdkook; 02-02-2006 at 09:26 PM.

of course they have to apologize becuase it is somewhat ridiculous. i never doubted her story, just her account of her "intentions".

but reading her own statements, it is clear she wanted to be seen and wanted attention taken away from the speech. she even says the media was the only reason she ended up going. no one tuned in to see Sheehan, they tuned in to watch their President give an important speech spelled out in teh Constitution.

maybe they should not have "man handled" her or even arrested her, but they sure as hell shoulda thrown her the hell out. shes already been labeled "troublemaker", she knew what she was doing.

the article says the police were not effectively prepared for such a situation (are they ever prepared ?), but it also says demonstrating in teh House is prohibited, to me, wearing a controversial shirt that to teh SOTU address is demonstrating.

would you be on the side of a senator who buddys up with Chavez and openly criticizes the President arm in arm with him?? she is no different. shame on teh media for giving her more attention.

Why would the cameras focus on Sheehan DURING the Presidents speech? They are NOT paid to get sidetracked.

According to Republican Representative Young, the women were doing just what the President wanted.

Rep. Bill Young of Florida had condemned the treatment of his wife, Beverly. Young, who chairs the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, said on the House floor his wife was called "a demonstrator and a protester" for doing what Bush had asked of Americans: supporting U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq.
    So, the President was wrong to want people to support the troops? Is not wanting them OUT of Iraq and an end brought to this war support?

Lady Mod

i get the impression that it's all about pretendin ta be nice.when in reality,we all wanna kill somebody!and ya know how SENSITIVE the pres is!he turns into jekyl/hyde in a second!this explains the fear of any threat to his retoric of self wishing lunacy!but that's to be expected from an EX-DRUGGY!!hey!i never told him ta quit!hehe!!

Umdkook... your statement "...she knew what she was doing." hit the nail 'dead-on'. She can 'play' innocent till the stars fall from the sky and scream 'free speech violation' till she turns green, but it just ain't so. There is a time and place for everything and the House Gallery, during the State of the Union address just ain't it... and she knew it...

She was in the wrong and so were the police in the way they handled it... there is no 'right side' or 'wrong side'... both were wrong.

P.

umdkook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    Umdkook... your statement "...she knew what she was doing." hit the nail 'dead-on'. She can 'play' innocent till the stars fall from the sky and scream 'free speech violation' till she turns green, but it just ain't so. There is a time and place for everything and the House Gallery, during the State of the Union address just ain't it... and she knew it...

She was in the wrong and so were the police in the way they handled it... there is no 'right side' or 'wrong side'... both were wrong.

P.
    well, that may be so, but she knew damn well what she was doing and possibly how the authorities would react to it.

im sorry for her loss, but she is not different than any other citizen and does not deserve special attention, whether it be from the media or the capitol police.

she knew though, she knew......just read her statement.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM

P.
    And she was sitting quietly. Now, if she had stood up and made an issue or was rude, that could be construed as wrong. But she wasn't, NEITHER was the senators wife who was also wearing a t-shirt.

She was NOT wrong. The cameras weren't going to be on her, but on the president. She was invited. Security had already allowed her in, t-shirt and all TWICE. Had the police officer not been so zealous, she wouldn't have gotten any press at all. But long and short of it, she wasn't the one in the wrong.

I can't believe you guys continue to miss that little, but very critically important fact.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

umdkook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    And she was sitting quietly. Now, if she had stood up and made an issue or was rude, that could be construed as wrong. But she wasn't, NEITHER was the senators wife who was also wearing a t-shirt.

She was NOT wrong. The cameras weren't going to be on her, but on the president. She was invited. Security had already allowed her in, t-shirt and all TWICE. Had the police officer not been so zealous, she wouldn't have gotten any press at all. But long and short of it, she wasn't the one in the wrong.

I can't believe you guys continue to miss that little, but very critically important fact.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    security let her in twice with her "jacket zippered up" in her own words.....

i mean say what you will, but if you are Cindy freakin Sheehan, would u wear a shirt like that to the Presidents speech?? this isnt a news media question and answerforum, its the freakin SOTU address, show some freakin class....o wait, she has none.

you dont see a difference between a saying "support our troops" and "blah blah blah dead, how many more?"
    Last edited by umdkook; 02-03-2006 at 03:59 AM.