+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Next Target Iran / Springtime For Bush!tler

Anyone can go to Baghdad. Real men go to Tehran.”
    — Senior Bush official, May 2003

THE United States and Israel have been itching to go to Tehran since the Islamic Revolution of 1979. That revolution was a strategic setback for the two powers. It overthrew the Iranian monarchy, a great friend of the US and Israel, and brought to power radicals who considered themselves to be the true defenders of Islam.

As a result, the Iranian revolution was certain to clash with both the US and Israel, as well as their client states in the Arab world. Israel was unacceptable because it was an alien intrusion that had displaced a Muslim people: it was a foreign implant in the Islamic heartland. But the US was the greater antagonist. On its own account, through Israel, and on the behalf of Israel, it sought to keep the Middle East firmly bound in the chains of American hegemony.

The US-Israeli hegemony over the Middle East had won a great victory in 1978. At Camp David, the leading Arab country, Egypt, chose to surrender its leadership of the Arab world, and signed a separate ‘peace’ with Israel. This freed Israel to pursue its plans of annexing the West Bank and Gaza, and to project unchecked power over the entire region. The Arab world could now be squeezed between Israel in the West and Iran to the East, the twin pillars of US hegemony over the region’s peoples and resources.

The Iranian revolution of 1979 ended this partnership. At that point, real men in Washington would have loved to take back Tehran from the Mullahs but for the inconvenience of Soviet opposition. But great powers are rarely stymied by any single development, however adverse. It took little encouragement from Washington to get Iraq to mount an unprovoked invasion of Iran. In the 20th century, few Arab leaders have seen the difference between entrapment and opportunity.

The war between Iran and Iraq served the United States and Israel quite well. It blunted the energies of Iran, preventing it from any serious attempts to export the revolution, or challenge American influence in the region. The Israeli gains were more substantial. With Egypt neutered at Camp David, and Iraq and Iran locked in a bloody war, Israel was free during the 1980s to do what it liked. It expanded its settlements in the West Bank and Gaza, destroyed Iraq’s nuclear reactor at Osirak, expelled the Palestinian fighters from Lebanon, and established a long-term occupation over much of Southern Lebanon. Israel was closer to its goal of commanding unchallenged power over the Middle East.

The end of the Cold War in 1990 offered a bigger opening to the United States and Israel. Freed from the Soviet check on their ambitions, and with Iran devastated by the war, the United States began working on plans to establish a military control over the region, in the style of earlier colonial empires. This happened quickly when, with American assurance of non-intervention in intra-Arab conflicts, Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990.

The US response was massive and swift. In January 1990, after assembling 600,000 allied troops in Saudi Arabia — about half of them American — it pushed Iraq out of Kuwait, and mounted massive air strikes against Iraq itself, destroying much of its industry, power-generating capacity and infrastructure. The US had now established a massive military beachhead in the oil-rich Persian Gulf. It established permanent military bases in Saudi Arabia, continued its economic sanctions against Iraq, created a Kurdish autonomous zone in the north of Iraq, and, together with Britain, continued to bomb Iraq on a nearly daily basis for the next thirteen years.

With the US beachhead in place, where did the real men in the US and Israel want to go next? There was no secrecy about their plans. At a minimum, the neoconservatives in the US and their Likud allies in Israel wanted ‘regime change’ in Iraq, Syria and Iran. This would be delivered by covert action, air strikes, or invasion — whatever it took — to be mounted by the US military. Israel would stay out of these wars, ready to reap the benefits of their aftermath.

The Likud plans were more ambitious. They wanted to redraw the map of the Middle East, using ethnic, sectarian, and religious differences to carve up the existing states in the region into weak micro-states that could be easily bullied by Israel. This was the Kivunim plan first made public in 1982. It would give Israel a thousand years of dominance over the Middle East.

The attacks of September 11, 2001 were the ‘catalyzing event’ that put these plans into motion. The US wasted no time in seizing the moment. Instantly, President George Bush declared a global war against terrorism. The first target of this war was Afghanistan, but this was only a sideshow. On January 29, 2002, Bush announced his initial targets for regime change: the ‘axis of evil’ that included Iraq, Iran and North Korea.

The plan was to invade and consolidate control over Iraq as a base for operations against Iran, Syria and perhaps Saudi Arabia. This sequencing was based on two assumptions: that the invasion of Iraq would be a cake-walk and American troops would be greeted as liberators. The US invaded Iraq on March 20, 2003 and Baghdad fell on April 9, 2003. It was indeed a cake-walk, and it appeared to television audiences that American troops were also being greeted as liberators. Understandably, the mood in Washington and Tel Aviv was triumphant. The US is unstoppable: it was time for real men now to go to Tehran.

Nearly three years after the Iraqi invasion, the real men are still stuck in Baghdad. Yes, there has been a great deal of talk about attacking Iran: plans in place for air strikes on Iran’s revolutionary guards, on its nuclear installations and other WMD sites, and even talk of a ground invasion. There have been reports of spy flights over Iran and operations by special forces inside Iran. Israel too has been goading the US to strike, and if the US shrinks from this duty, threatening to go solo.

What has been holding back the real men in Washington and Tel Aviv? One reason of course is that the cakewalk very quickly turned into a quagmire. The apparent Iraqi welcome was replaced by a growing and hardy insurgency, which has exacted a high toll on US plans for Iraq even though it was led mostly by Sunni Arabs. As a result, close to 150,000 US troops remain tied down in Iraq, with little prospect that they can be freed soon for action against Iran. Most Shias are not resisting the American occupation, but they are ready to take power in Iraq, and want the Americans to leave.

While the US cannot mount a full-scale invasion of Iran without a draft, it does possesses the capability — despite the Iraqi quagmire — to launch air and missile strikes at Iranian targets, using nuclear weapons to destroy underground weapon sites. On the other hand, despite its saber-rattling, most analysts agree that Israel does not possess this capability on its own. Unlike Iraq, Iran has dispersed its nuclear assets to dozens of sites, some unknown. Then, why hasn’t the US mounted air attacks against Iran yet? Or will it any time soon?

(continued here)
    http://www.dawn.com/weekly/encounter/encounter1.htm
    Last edited by dante; 01-25-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Re: Next Target Iran / Springtime For Bush!tler

Interesting how things weren't kept hush-hush regarding plans for Iran. Now, since Iran has heard some things, it is a matter of waiting to see who will cast the first stone. Bush better hurry and get the knot out of his jihad g- string or things will become more uncomfortable for him. Iran is a much more equipped opponent than Iraq ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    Interesting how things weren't kept hush-hush regarding plans for Iran. Now, since Iran has heard some things, it is a matter of waiting to see who will cast the first stone. Bush better hurry and get the knot out of his jihad g- string or things will become more uncomfortable for him. Iran is a much more equipped opponent than Iraq ever was.

You can depend on one thing. If it makes no sense and will result in the deaths of plenty of innocent people, Bush will do it.

If it will increase the threat of terrorism and make America less secure, don't count it out.

Riiight...let's do nothing and wait for Iran to decide what THEY want to do. That is a great idea. Could you BE any more french?

Speaking of France, it will be interesting to see what liberals 'believe in' if it is France who bombs Iran back to the stone age...what a hand-wringin', panty-bunchin' quandary for the little fellers!!

Let France have at it if they wish.

So since we leaked info to make Iran nervous, you don't see that as provocation there Pwrone ? But maybe Bush will just provoke them to attack us in some way as to ensure he can say it is self defense this time right ? He'll love that.

I am confused. This seems extremely weak even by the extremely weak standard set by our liberals...are you all really saying that you see NO reason to gear up a bit for the Iran issue? A country who has stated it's intent to ethnically cleanse the world of Jews? Would it matter to you if it were NOT Jews? I bet it would. You would be ineffectually banging your little fists, while others saw to your security...

I love it when you say "Let's not bomb so-and-so" and the warmongers respond with, "Okay, so let's just do nothing."

If those are our choices--bombing or doing nothing--then, yes, let's do nothing. That would be a nice change of course.

Fortunately, those aren't our only options.

Of course, this is really a non-issue, much as Iraq was before we invaded. The warmongers seem to have learned nothing. It's one thing to fail to learn from the mistakes of ancient history, but Iraq is hardly in that category. One has to shut one's eyes pretty tightly to fail to learn from this recent past.

The IAEA has found "no evidence" that any material or activities in Iran are "related to a nuclear weapons programme".

So to talk about bombing Iran at this point is just paranoid delusional hysteria.

But entering into the hypothetical and assuming Iran did have a nuclear weapon --- or even "nuclear weapon related program activities" (to borrow the infamous phrase), for that matter -- the reason would be clear enough: deterrance.

In fact, if Iran actually posed any kind of threat, we wouldn't be sitting here talking about bombing the place. That's fairly elementary.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    I am confused. This seems extremely weak even by the extremely weak standard set by our liberals...are you all really saying that you see NO reason to gear up a bit for the Iran issue? A country who has stated it's intent to ethnically cleanse the world of Jews? Would it matter to you if it were NOT Jews? I bet it would. You would be ineffectually banging your little fists, while others saw to your security...

If there's one conspicuous element that is always consistent in the deluded, fanatical babbling of these right-wing Zionist loonies, it's that Israel's security is always the primary and paramount concern for them. To be sure, the safety and security of Americans is somewhere else on their list of hierarchies. "Let's flush some more American kid's lives down the commode so we can protect Israel" is their mantra while the duplicitous criminals from both parties in Congress count their swag from AIPAC. Should we consider them Americans just because they may have been born here? That's, obviously, proven a specious criteria.
    Last edited by dante; 01-26-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Well I'll be damned so it all about damned Jew thing again!! Next thing US will atack pakistan and so on just to make Jew's happy?! Israel got what it deserved becouse they created a country on terrytory where other nations lived. Yep it might be their tue home, but lets put it this way. You guys are americans right?! So your country isn't so old aswell.... so there i was got few million ppl, got proves that somewhere in all area of states there is my land!!! And i'll got it with force of you! Woot and there we go.... I dont think you would be so calm to me and my nation for it!!! And by the way 2017 is comming, for instance we will have a lot of bother with Alaska soon, you are renting it by the way so in 2017 you will have same situation as Arabs who got kicked out of their land thanks to stupid historycal fackts. I hope no fights gonna happened dohh!!!
    Next thing omfg Iran creating Nuke's well dohhh, what else should you do to protect yourself when one powerfull country just destroyed your neighbor couse he wasn't a like system of US. I mean lets put of the fackt s as Saddam was killing people or mad cwap bout Weapons of mass destrucion or becouse of the thing that there is no chanse to sell Coka Cola. F*ck reasons we got facts that if you don't have Nukes they will destroy you, they put you already in Axys of evil giving you already thing to think about!
    You don't want them to have NUke's ?! Well give them insurance that you won't atack them!
    DEAD GIRLS DON'T SAY - NO !

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider Wolf
    Well I'll be damned so it all about damned Jew thing again!! Next thing US will atack pakistan and so on just to make Jew's happy?! Israel got what it deserved becouse they created a country on terrytory where other nations lived. Yep it might be their tue home, but lets put it this way. You guys are americans right?! So your country isn't so old aswell.... so there i was got few million ppl, got proves that somewhere in all area of states there is my land!!! And i'll got it with force of you! Woot and there we go.... I dont think you would be so calm to me and my nation for it!!! And by the way 2017 is comming, for instance we will have a lot of bother with Alaska soon, you are renting it by the way so in 2017 you will have same situation as Arabs who got kicked out of their land thanks to stupid historycal fackts. I hope no fights gonna happened dohh!!!
    Next thing omfg Iran creating Nuke's well dohhh, what else should you do to protect yourself when one powerfull country just destroyed your neighbor couse he wasn't a like system of US. I mean lets put of the fackt s as Saddam was killing people or mad cwap bout Weapons of mass destrucion or becouse of the thing that there is no chanse to sell Coka Cola. F*ck reasons we got facts that if you don't have Nukes they will destroy you, they put you already in Axys of evil giving you already thing to think about!
    You don't want them to have NUke's ?! Well give them insurance that you won't atack them!
    Does anybody have a Captain Uranus decoder ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    I love it when you say "Let's not bomb so-and-so" and the warmongers respond with, "Okay, so let's just do nothing."

If those are our choices--bombing or doing nothing--then, yes, let's do nothing. That would be a nice change of course.

Fortunately, those aren't our only options.

Of course, this is really a non-issue, much as Iraq was before we invaded. The warmongers seem to have learned nothing. It's one thing to fail to learn from the mistakes of ancient history, but Iraq is hardly in that category. One has to shut one's eyes pretty tightly to fail to learn from this recent past.

The IAEA has found "no evidence" that any material or activities in Iran are "related to a nuclear weapons programme".

So to talk about bombing Iran at this point is just paranoid delusional hysteria.

But entering into the hypothetical and assuming Iran did have a nuclear weapon --- or even "nuclear weapon related program activities" (to borrow the infamous phrase), for that matter -- the reason would be clear enough: deterrance.

In fact, if Iran actually posed any kind of threat, we wouldn't be sitting here talking about bombing the place. That's fairly elementary.

So, if Iran had pledged, VOWED, to destroy Great Britain, or France, or Germany, pledged to "wipe them from the face of the earth", your answer to that would be.....? You seem to forget where you live. This ain't Switzerland.

My answer would be...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

And yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    My answer would be...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

And yours?

Hmmm...actually, I like yours. But aren't liberals always preachin' 'bout how we need to be a part of the international community? If we were only into preserving the future of the US, and I am all for that, than 'pre-emption' would certainly be the order of the day. We could simply TAKE what we wanted. I hear Venezuela has a rich oil reserve. Let's grab it up and leave the Middle East to fend for itself....except....what about Iran? Do you really think they don't have wet-dreams about dropping a bomb on us?

You're awfully quick to defend Israel. Israel has demonstrated before that they can take care of themselves. But, as any good neocon, you follow that line of thinking that we should crawl up their as$ even further, for whatever unknown reason. Now, Israel just sits back and urges America to go after Iran. Meanwhile, what are they doing ? Do you not see how offensive Israel is ?

So while America fights Israel's wars for them, we're the ones footing the bill ? Our soldiers are the ones who are sacrificing themselves ? If Israel is so concerned about Iran, then they can attack them. See if they can repeat the 6 day war again. They have nukes, Iran doesn't yet. What better time to strike ? Must we continue to fight wars for another country ? I think the babysitting is over.

And while we continue to suppport Israel, we involved in a religious war. Not on our own soil, but on another country's soil. This is why we are a target for the terrorists. We are interfering in their holy war between Islam and Judaism. Both sides have a hatred for the other. The feeling is mutual. Why should we be involved with that ? The answer would be; there are underlying reasons. Oil is the obvious surface reason.

It's alarming that the leaders in this country are willing to do this when the constitution was formed around separation of religion and state matters. All due to the religious oppression of the Catholics in Europe. The protestants formed this country. And now, we have regressed back to oppressing others. Have we evolved or devolved ? I guess history is forgotten by most.
    Last edited by Rawb; 01-28-2006 at 11:40 PM.

Hmmm...actually, I like yours. But aren't liberals always preachin' 'bout how we need to be a part of the international community? If we were only into preserving the future of the US, and I am all for that, than 'pre-emption' would certainly be the order of the day. We could simply TAKE what we wanted. I hear Venezuela has a rich oil reserve. Let's grab it up and leave the Middle East to fend for itself....except....what about Iran? Do you really think they don't have wet-dreams about dropping a bomb on us?
    Like I said, if we would leave them alone and cut ties with Israel, maybe they wouldn't bother with us. Think about that one.

Here's a suggestion which you can take credit for Pwrone. Make a suggestion to Bush that he move all of Israel over here and leave their country to divide up to the Arab countries. You wanna see terrorist attacks here then ?