+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion - When the Anti-Choice Choose.

My Opinion, since everyone else has one, I thought I could share mine.

I am a proud father of three lovely daughters, ages 10, 11, 14 (but thinks she is 21).

I had the great experience of hearing all three of their precious little hearts beating early on in the pregnancy and know that in my heart there is no way I could personally authorize the killing of those children, I am not calling abortion murder but I do understand that it is the taking of a life.

But having said that, I also understand it is not my right at this point in our society to protest and be an activist againest abortions as they are a legal means of terminating a pregnancy for what ever reason one chooses.

I have come to the conclusion that activists do more harm to their cause than good because I feel that people react negatively to IN YOUR FACE POLITICS. But everyone should write their Congress person as often as possible, if you want change it has to be within the law.

Christian, Anti-Christian, Environmental, Pro-Choice, Anti-Abortion, Anti-War, Anti-Bush, Anti-Liberal, Racist, what ever the cause, you do it harm when you are confrontational with people.

I am a Christian, I do not always behave as such, but it is an ongoing battle for self improvement. I will always try to present a good image as I need to be an example for my children, activists appear far to often to be strident and angry in their behavior and rhetoric and that is not the image I want to portray.

In this thread I have seen calm argument and also strident remarks from both sides of this issue. Which do you think wins at the end of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by USNavySubSailor
    Here are the leading causes of death for 2002. If you consider abortion death. US government agencies do. The same government that makes abortion legal.
    I'm not making a judgement here, just something to talk about.

Abortion: 1,310,000 deaths
    Heart disease: 710,760 deaths
    Cancer: 553,091 deaths
    Stroke: 167,661 deaths
    Chronic lower respiratory disease: 122,009 deaths
    Accidents: 97,900 deaths
    Diabetes mellitus: 69,301 deaths
    Pneumonia/ influenza: 65,313 deaths
    Alzheimer's disease: 49,558 deaths
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 37,251 deaths
    Septicemia: 31,224 deaths.

Interesting stats. I wonder what the government considers a death by abortion statistic to be? How old is the fetus in other words? Does this number represent late te.rm abortions, mid and late ter.m or all abortions? Also, we have to remember that in medical ter.ms a miscarriage is called an abortion as well, specifically a spontaneous abortion. So, are those reflected in that number as well? I have a feeling that the statistic is "all inclusive".

Very interesting....

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 01-22-2006 at 05:31 AM.

USNavySubSailor

Some of my comments were made specifically in response to pwrone. His rants and condemnations of women faced with difficult decisions are out of line.
    The fundies opposing freedom of choice at this board don’t offer any solutions to the problems that young indigent mothers face. If their church offers help to young moms I would like to know about it. So would others, especial those in need. You’d think we would hear more positive life affirming solutions from those that call themselves Christian.
    Otherwise you are right and I will hunt for data to support my off-handed accusations fueled by the passion of the moment. I can be a hot head sometimes.
    On the campaign contribution thing, I want to know that number for myself.

BTW 'GO DEEP' love that one. I cracked up when I saw it.
    I used to live up in Conn. years ago about 50 miles from Groton/New London
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 01-22-2006 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Interesting stats. I wonder what the government considers a death by abortion statistic to be? How old is the fetus in other words? Does this number represent late te.rm abortions, mid and late ter.m or all abortions? Also, we have to remember that in medical ter.ms a miscarriage is called an abortion as well, specifically a spontaneous abortion. So, are those reflected in that number as well? I have a feeling that the statistic is "all inclusive".

Very interesting....

Lady Mod

Lady,

Good questions. Probably is all inclusive. I didn't consider any of that when I saw these stats. I just think that it's sad, though, that that many women had to chose abortion. It's not the choice issue, but why was the choice made? Was it their only hope? I mean, did they feel like there was no other way? To have every option available, and then to chose an abortion based on what you think is best for you, thats okay, but for those women who feel abortion is the only option they have, thats the problem I have. I know the numbers would go down if women felt like they weren't all alone in the world. In a perfect world, abortion would be legal, but there wouldn't be any need to have an abortion! Everyone would be happy!

Someone said in an earlier post (can't find it now) that it would be a tough decision to choose abortion. To those who are pro-choice, I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Why is abortion a tough choice? I know why it would be tough for me, but just wondering what others thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    USNavySubSailor

Some of my comments were made specifically in response to pwrone. His rants and condemnations of women faced with difficult decisions are out of line.
    The fundies opposing freedom of choice at this board don’t offer any solutions to the problems that young indigent mothers face. If their church offers help to young moms I would like to know about it. So would others, especial those in need. You’d think we would hear more positive life affirming solutions from those that call themselves Christian.
    Otherwise you are right and I will hunt for data to support my off-handed accusations fueled by the passion of the moment. I can be a hot head sometimes.
    On the campaign contribution thing, I want to know that number for myself.

BTW 'GO DEEP' love that one. I cracked up when I saw it.
    I used to live up in Conn. years ago about 50 miles from Groton/New London

Phinnly,

Yeah, I know who your comments were directed at. Its sometimes hard to show your passion for issues on boards on like these without stepping on toes. I don't take anything personally, I just hope no one does either. I only took slight offense because I know, when I was younger, my church went out of their way to help young mothers, poor, anyone who needed it. No questions asked. We weren't Pat Robertson over the top fundamental, but we were definitely a conservative church, if that makes sense. I really don't expect you to do any research on the matter. I just wanted you to know that there are plenty of churches doing whatever they can to help whomever they can. I knew you knew that, but like you said, the passion of the moment. My Aunt, who is a Christian and pro-life (not sure how she votes), would make anyone in need feel special, loved and deserving of happiness. Not matter what the issue is. I say this because I've seen her in action. I remember telling my wife before she met her, that she'll notice something special about my Aunt. I didn't say what it was, but she'll see what I'm talking about. She said nothing about God or church, but my wife saw what a wonderful person she was. If everyone treated people like she does, there would be no need for abortions.

I'm a submarine radioman, and my first captain sometimes used "Going Deep" at the end of some of his messages we sent. Normally on the more informal messages. On the Alabama we used "Roll Tide". I like Going Deep better though, so I use it at time. Going Deep is what the Officer of the Deck of a submarine passes over the MC circuits to watch stations before going deep from periscope depth. Which basicially means we are going out of communications depth. I miss Groton/New London. The whole area actually. For the past 3 years I've been flying to CT to work on the USS Jimmy Carter. I'd spend 2-3 weeks at a time, getting her ready for sea trials. After taking her on sea trials, the Navy decided I had too much sea time and made me take shore duty! I hate it, but I'm home more often now. While in Groton, I actually got to meet the President and Mrs. Carter a few times. They visited alot, and they go out of their way to stay in touch with the crew. Birthday cards, birth announcements, reenlistments, etc.
    After years in the yards at Electric Boat, the Jimmy Carter finally made her way home to the Pacific Northwest.

Going Deep

Actually going to get a haircut!
    Last edited by USNavySubSailor; 01-22-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USNavySubSailor
    Lady,

Someone said in an earlier post (can't find it now) that it would be a tough decision to choose abortion. To those who are pro-choice, I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Why is abortion a tough choice? I know why it would be tough for me, but just wondering what others thought about it.
    Hi US Navy,

For me, abortion would be a tough choice because, in my heart I know what I am doing. I am terminating a developing human being. Now, that is just me, I have no quarrel with those, who believe human life does not begin at conception. It is their right to know that in their hearts as well.

Young women, middle-aged women, poor women, rich women, and all women around the world, have "tough" choices to make, about when and how many children to have. I believe women, whether they are maternal or not, understand instinctively, the importance, and significance of having children. To think otherwise, just adds to the sexist, patriarchal view of women throughout history, and all over the world.

Men will never really, deeply understand what women face, when it comes to reproduction, care-taking, nurturing and choices. On the flip side, women will never know what it is like to be a man, when it comes to feeling responsible for the protection, comfort, and welfare of their women and families. All we can do for each other, is to keep an open mind, an open heart and actually "hear" what othersare trying to say to us.

DeeDee1965