+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 34

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    What "War on Terrorism"?

    You can call your pet dog "Duck", but it won't make him quack.

    Whatever it is, it can't possibly be a "war on terrorism". It's a logical impossibility.

    You wouldn't fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames. And if you threw fuel on the flames, no rational, sane human being could claim that you were fighting the fire.

    There are three possible responses to terrorism:

    1) You can take actions that mitigate acts of terrorism.
    2) You can take actions that escalate acts of terrorism.
    3) You can do nothing.

    Obviously, the only response of the three that could possibly be classified as a "war on terror" is choice number 1.

    The United States has engaged in actions which not only have resulted in an escalation in terrorist acts, but which were done regardless of the fact that it was well recognized beforehand that they would escalate the threat of terrorism worldwide.

    And they call it a "war on terrorism".

    Quack, quack.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nunya
    Posts
    996

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    The phrase "war on terror" is, in fact, a saying used to identify radical-fundamentalists' that use the tactic of "terror" to influence and peddle their ideology. The "war on terror" is a noble cause and to fight it, you have to utilize many facets.

    Firstly, you must take them head-on. To cower away, gives the perpetrators a mental edge and also allows for more propaganda to add to their resources.

    Secondly, you have to remove their ability to move freely and plan new attacks. Taking away monetary funding inhibits their abilities for sure. Cash is king, and without it, it makes it harder for them to increase their numbers.

    Lastly, you have to teach. Kicking out the Taliban and turning Afghanistan to the people is a perfect display. Removing Saddam and turning Iraq over to the people is also a stellar example. The US could have taken the country as theirs, they won the war, and therefore, they could have kept it. This would not be teaching by example, however, so we handed it to the residents. We are not an imperialistic nation. Please note also, that we have not taken ownership of the rich oil resources of Iraq, to say otherwise is naive.



    The wall of fire that is threatening a neighborhood is sometimes too large to be extinguished with a waterhose. To see the fire coming and just wait til it catches rooftops afire before acting is silly. To better fight the fire, the fighters will often attack it by removing the fuel. People often use a technique called a back fire. This involves starting a small fire in front of the larger one. When the large fire reaches the edge of where the small fire used to be, it will die. You can now re-reference the war on terror into this new analogy.

    You're welcome! :cool:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    To better fight the fire, the fighters will often attack it by removing the fuel.
    Like I said, "You wouldn't fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames." You seem sensible enough to realize that.

    Don't know how the rest escaped you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    Like I said, "You wouldn't fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames." You seem sensible enough to realize that.

    Don't know how the rest escaped you.
    Raider = Dull tool, big shed.

    ;)

  5. #5
    umdkook Guest

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    The phrase "war on terror" is, in fact, a saying used to identify radical-fundamentalists' that use the tactic of "terror" to influence and peddle their ideology. The "war on terror" is a noble cause and to fight it, you have to utilize many facets.

    Firstly, you must take them head-on. To cower away, gives the perpetrators a mental edge and also allows for more propaganda to add to their resources.

    Secondly, you have to remove their ability to move freely and plan new attacks. Taking away monetary funding inhibits their abilities for sure. Cash is king, and without it, it makes it harder for them to increase their numbers.

    Lastly, you have to teach. Kicking out the Taliban and turning Afghanistan to the people is a perfect display. Removing Saddam and turning Iraq over to the people is also a stellar example. The US could have taken the country as theirs, they won the war, and therefore, they could have kept it. This would not be teaching by example, however, so we handed it to the residents. We are not an imperialistic nation. Please note also, that we have not taken ownership of the rich oil resources of Iraq, to say otherwise is naive.



    The wall of fire that is threatening a neighborhood is sometimes too large to be extinguished with a waterhose. To see the fire coming and just wait til it catches rooftops afire before acting is silly. To better fight the fire, the fighters will often attack it by removing the fuel. People often use a technique called a back fire. This involves starting a small fire in front of the larger one. When the large fire reaches the edge of where the small fire used to be, it will die. You can now re-reference the war on terror into this new analogy.

    You're welcome! :cool:
    wow, u really belive all that too, thats the sad part.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    622

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    wow, u really belive all that too, thats the sad part.....

    That's what can happen to a brain on right-wing Kool-Aid. Any questions?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    633

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    Like I said, "You wouldn't fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames." You seem sensible enough to realize that.

    Don't know how the rest escaped you.
    It is interesting how you always seem to leave out the parts of the post that explain the part you quote from Raider.

    He said you remove the fuel, buy starting a small fire in front of the raging one. Yet you did not even acknowledge that portion of what he said.

    You do not like the method you see in the media being used to fight the war on terror, that does not make it any less a war on terror. These radicals who are willing to blow themselves up in a public market are not going away simply because we turn a blind eye.

    They will not stop if we simply pulled all the troops out of the middle east, or arranged for Isreal to "disappear". This is not a group that will ever live peacefully with the world.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    I hardly see the relevance. Raider said, "You wouldn't fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames." I observed that this was a wise comment, certainly valid and true, and wondered how, if he can recognize this simple truth, why the other simple truth expressed in the original post seems so difficult for him to comprehend.

    You do not like the method you see in the media being used to fight the war on terror, that does not make it any less a war on terror.
    You, also, seem to be having difficulty with this elementary truth. Would you fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames? Would you call your dog "Duck" and expect him to quack?

    Then why, in God's name, would you engage in actions to increase the threat of terrorism and call it a "war on terrorism"? I mean, obviously, unless you're a policitian or work for a PR company or the media, why in God's name would you actually call it that and take yourself seriously?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    633

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Yirmeyahu,

    There is an uncontrolled fire heading your direction. One method of fighting this fire it to start a new fire in its path that is controlled and you create a fire break because you have already burned the fuel int he path of the raging fire. Yes you did add fuel to a fire to put out another fire.

    There is an oil well burning out of control. To put out the fire you blow up explosives on it, in turn "blowing out" the oil fire buy throwing A LOT of EXTRA fuel on the fire, then you cap the well.

    Light a camp fire then throw half a gallon of "white gas" on top of it......very likely you are going to blow out your camp fire. (but get ready to have all your hair removed in the process).

    So yes, in fact you can fight a fire by throwing fuel on it and expect the desired results.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    :rolleyes:

    A house is on fire. Now, no sane, rational person would take a can of gasoline and throw it on the fire and say "I'm fighting the fire!" (Obviously, this, not controlled burn, is the scenario I refer to in the analogy. Any person capable of rational thought who possesses even a modicum of intelligence could recognize that, as I'm sure you already have.)

    And so it is with the so-called "war on terrorism".

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    633

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Yirmeyahu,

    While I understand your point, you are looking at to narrow of a scope when you make the claim there is not a War on Terrorism just as you narrow the scope of fighting a fire by putting fuel on it by simply looking at a house fire.

    While some of use look at a much bigger picture that includes many facets of the fight against terrorism, you have chosen only to look at the military action as the War on Terrorism. This narrow scope you look through may very well substantiate your claim, however it does not show the entire picture. Looking at the entire picture shows your claim that there is now War on Terrorism to be false.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    Yirmeyahu,

    While I understand your point, you are looking at to narrow of a scope when you make the claim there is not a War on Terrorism just as you narrow the scope of fighting a fire by putting fuel on it by simply looking at a house fire.

    While some of use look at a much bigger picture that includes many facets of the fight against terrorism, you have chosen only to look at the military action as the War on Terrorism. This narrow scope you look through may very well substantiate your claim, however it does not show the entire picture. Looking at the entire picture shows your claim that there is now War on Terrorism to be false.
    That's correct, I am referring to the military actions commonly referred to as a "war on terrorism".

    That's mighty perceptive of you!

    Anything else?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    633

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    That's correct, I am referring to the military actions commonly referred to as a "war on terrorism".

    That's mighty perceptive of you!

    Anything else?
    As I said, you limit the scope to make your point. Limiting the scope of what you wish to look at does not equate to no "War on Terror". Your arguement is meaningless until you look at all aspects of the War on Terror.

    By your logic, a homeless man with millions of dollars in the bank should be given finacial assistance to get them back on their feet because they do not have any money in their pocket. And yes, there have been such people out there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    What other "aspects" would you suggest we look at?

    By all means, please proceed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    633

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    What other "aspects" would you suggest we look at?

    By all means, please proceed.
    Let's simply start with two other peices of the War on Terror:

    Freezing Financial Accounts around the world
    Foreign Government assistance in apprehending suspects/terrorist

    Then there is the less visual aspects of the War on Terror:

    Forcing terror groups to find new methods of communicating with each other. When they know they are being tracked by e-mail, cell phone, and satellite phone communications, it make it far harder to get real time communications slowing the entire process down.

    Unlike drug kigpins, when a terrorist suspect is tracked by cell or satellite phone they are marking the target for hte incoming missles. tends to make you think twice before making that call now doesn't it?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nunya
    Posts
    996

    Re: What "War on Terrorism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    I hardly see the relevance. Raider said, "You wouldn't fight a fire by throwing fuel on the flames."
    Why did you put that in quotation marks? I never said that.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 11:43 AM
  2. How To Win "The War On Terrorism" - Unload Israel
    By dchristie in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
  3. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
  5. How Maps Tell The Story Of The "War On Terrorism"
    By dchristie in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-15-2006, 07:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
ability, accounts, acknowledge, action, actions, acts, add, admit, advance, afghanistan, age, aggressive, aid, allowed, annual, another, apologize, army, art, assistance, ation, attacking, attacks, bad, ban, bankruptcy, banned, based, bet, better, bigger, bit, blowing, bomb, bombing, brain, break, brief, bur, buy, called, calling, capture, case, cash, cell, center, cer, claim, coach, coming, commit, common, complete, completely, complex, con, correct, countries, country, credibility, dan, day, dead, debunked, defend, department, difficult, direction, dirty, disasters, display, dive, divers, doesn, dog, don, dow, drug, duck, dying, east, edge, ended, ends, entire, error, extra, eye, face, fail, fails, false, families, fee, fight, figures, final, financial, fire, focus, forward, foundation, fox, front, fuel, funding, gas, generation, get real, goal, good, great, ground, group, groups, growing, guaranteed, had, hand, handed, happened, harbor, harder, hats, head, heading, helped, helping, hey, high, higher, his, hot, house, huma, human, hussein, ian, ica, identify, identity, ime, important, in front, ina, increase, influence, int, intelligence, inter, interested, involves, ion, iraq, isn, juan, justify, katrina, kicking, killed, large, lead, leading, leave, likes, limbaugh, live, logic, long, lot, machine, mail, making, market, math, matter, mea, meaningless, media, meet, method, middle, millions, monetary, monitoring, moral, more, move, nation, net, noble, note, nuclear, numbers, oil, only, opposite, org, organizations, original, par, part, peace, people, perfect, person, pet, pet dog, picture, piece, place, plan, point, por, pos, position, post, poster, posting, predicted, predictions, prefers, prevent, prior, process, productive, propaganda, prosecutor, public, pulled, putting, question, questions, quot, quote, ready, real, reason, refuses, regime, release, remove, removed, replacing, responses, rest, restore, results, revealing, rich, run, sad, safe, scenario, scientists, seem, sense, shed, ship, showed, shows, shuts, simple, simply, small, solid, sometimes, son, soo, sparen, spring, staged, star, start, starting, state, state department, stated, states, stop, subs, suicide, supply, suppressed, supreme, surge, tactic, taken, taliban, talking, teach, teaching, tech, ted, terror, terrorism, terrorist, the wall, theory, they, thought, thread, threatening, threw, throw, time, times, tired, top, tough, towers, trac, trade, transparent, troops, turn, turning, united, united states, usa, view, vince, wait, wall, war, water, welcome, wise, won, world, worldwide, worth, wow

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •