+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Buy Owner Real Estate advertising scam

I got the same email. I plan on following up on what action I can now take. I feel that this whole class action lawsuit has been a big scam. We should have received a letter from Buyowner if we were denied or if they were going to honor our cancellation. I doubt I will see my money but I will pursue this matter as much as I can.

I got an email today from the Mark Osherow law firm with a contract attached saying they wanted $500 upfront to even agree to try and follow up on the Buy Owner lawsuit. NO WAY IN HECK am I forking out any more upfront money towards anything to do with Buy Owner. I wish I could find a legitimate attorney who could help me without having to pay out of pocket upfront. I am so frustrated.

I also got the email and am trying to decide if it's worth spending the money on. If I get my $6000 back then I have no problem forking over the $500 but what are my chances of winning? Did anyone receive a refund?

Daisy, I have not found one person who received a refund yet. I have started writing numerous letters to the local news stations and their consumer scam reporters and lawyers asking for help. If I am not going to get my refund, I am going to give this company as much bad press as humanly possible to warn others of their bad business practices.

I found a local real estate lawyer who is also doing some research for me. If I get anywhere with him I will let you know.

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO FILL OUT A COMPLAINT ON THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU WEBSITE. INCLUDE AS MANY DETAILS AS POSSIBLE. HERE IS A LINK FOR YOU:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/Ne...=2&countryid=1

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a representative from Buy Owner call me today as a result of the complaint I filed with the BBB. She stated that they will not be sending refunds to ANYONE and that the letter sent by the lawyers concerning the class action lawsuit did not state that they would give refunds, simply that we could cancel our contracts with them. I am so furious and more determined than ever for this business to be exposed for their unfair trade practices.

Most likely I will not be forking over any $500. Another option is to individually file in small-claims court, although the award amount will be capped. But it's probably best to arm yourself with as much information as possible. A simple Google search will explain what a seller must do in response to a 3-day cooling off cancellation. I'm no lawyer, so I can't verify that these terms apply to the Class Action Settlement. Excerpt from the internet is below:

What the Seller Must Do If You Cancel

If you cancel your purchase, the seller must, within ten days:

* cancel and return any [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]papers[/COLOR][/COLOR] you signed;

* refund all your money and tell you whether any product left with
    you will be picked up; and

* return any trade-in.

Within twenty days, the seller must either [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]pick [COLOR=blue ! important]up[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] the items left
    with you, or, if you agree to send back the items, reimburse you for
    mailing expenses. If you do not make the items available to the
    seller or if you agree to return the items but fail to do so, then
    you remain obligated under the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianokeeyz View Post
    Daisy, I have not found one person who received a refund yet. I have started writing numerous letters to the local news stations and their consumer scam reporters and lawyers asking for help. If I am not going to get my refund, I am going to give this company as much bad press as humanly possible to warn others of their bad business practices.

I found a local real estate lawyer who is also doing some research for me. If I get anywhere with him I will let you know.
    Thank you, please let me know what you find out. I'm out of town now but plan on following up with BBB and newstations if I have to.

I recieved a letter yesterday from Adorno & Yoss Law Firm. The letter is as follow:
    Under the settlement agreement, upon receiving a timely reuest for cancellation from a Class Member provided by the admistrator to buy owner, buy owner shall have 30 days within which to respond to the class member in writing regrding the request. If no response is provided, the request for cancellation shall be deemed denied. Accordingly, buy owner has apparently determined not to voluntarily make payment to you (and other class memebers who elected to cancel) without further action on your part. Pursuant to the settlement agreement, you have 1 year from the denial of your claim to bring suit against buy owner.
    If you would like to discuss this matter, you may contact us at (954) 728-3220 or by email [email protected]
    dated July 1, 2009

I also got that letter recently. So has anyone done anything else to pursue this? Are there any lawyers who will do the work on contingency?
    How is it possible that if they lost the suit they can arbitrarily deny paying us? Especially since it seems that they are paying NO ONE.
    Help, please - that money sure would come in handy in this economy.

Lynnber, I emailed the mentioned law firm and told them, that about our site, how there were others on here requesting info. and wanting representation. And here is what they wrote:
    Thank you for contacting our office regarding your pending claim against Buy Owner. We understand that you have not received a response from Buy Owner within 30 days from your filed request for cancellation and you are interested in pursuing your claim accordingly. In response to your inquiry with our office, I am attaching information regarding retaining our services to proceed against Buy Owner and seeking recovery under the terms of the previously negotiated Settlement Agreement.

Should you have any comments or questions, you may contact me directly at (954) 728-3208 or by email at "[email protected]". along with applications to hire, they do want money upfront. That's the problem, I think they all do.

I'm wondering if anyone ever got anywhere with the class action and getting refunds?

HAS ANYONE ever got their refund from buy owner or any one ever GOT money from the class action law suit from buy owner???

Hello,

I have not recieved any money from BO yet. I did not retain a lawyer to go through with the class action law suit because i cannot afford an attorney. I wish we would hear some good news from someone who got money back. :judges:

Me too. Still wondering if ANYONE got anywhere with this. Those attorney's wanted $500 to take care of it, and it felt like throwing good money after bad since I still haven't heard of anyone getting paid back.
    I get pissed off every time I see their commercials.

I want to disclose fully that I am a former sales rep for BuyOwner out of the Chicago area. The new owner took over in 2011 and the headquarters is located in Delray Beach, Florida and their current BBB rating is an F. I only went on appointments for a little over a month (July 2011) before they closed the office. I certainly wasn’t involved long enough to be disgruntled and I liked the people who worked out of the same office. I am glad that it is over though since the service is way too expensive and sellers are much better off taking their business elsewhere. Once someone pays them to advertise their home, a couple of hourly employees put the home on their website within a couple hours and the cost is $2000 to $5500 depending on the number of photos and virtual tours included. That’s very little work and a lot of money to simply be put on a website that hardly anyone visits anymore. Their website still shows a ‘customer service’ address in Woodridge, IL which is the ‘Chicago’ office that closed. I guess they decided to leave it up on the website to give people the impression they have a dedicated customer service department.

If the customer pays the balance over 4-6 months then the rep is suppose to be paid a percentage of those payments. My last sale with them opted for payments and paid one payment which I was paid on before the office closed. After that, the owner decided there was no need to pay me a little over a lousy $100.00 in commissions on the other payments the customer made. I asked him to pay me in an email and he ignored my request. I guess he figured since there was no longer an office in Chicago why bother paying me. So I let the rest of the representatives know about this in a mass email and one of them actually physically threatened me if I put this information on the Internet.

Hard to believe that people with short tempers like that are going into people’s homes. They do not do background checks on the independent representatives (at least they did not with me) so you could be letting felons, rapist or child molesters into your home.

Anyway, the new owner did respond to my mass email letting everyone know that he cheated me. He didn’t deny it but instead went off on some tangent pleading for sympathy ADMITTING that the company has failed by not changing their old ways. I feel sorry for all the people he let go in the Chicago office and those still aboard his sinking ship then I do him. I gave him another chance to make good on the commission letting him know he was not leaving me many options but to take this information to the internet. I purposely did not share the final request with all the others in my email. He responded that I forgot to not realizing it was intention and asked me to share the links with him. Hard to believe he doesn’t have better things to do and would want this information on the Internet when it could have been avoided for a little over a $100. It is my hope that this information does cost him business although he is doing a pretty good job on his own making that happen. Do you really want to give your money to someone who would cheat someone else out of $100.00 or to a guy who admits his company is failing?