+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is AOL a scam ?

Is AOL a scam ?

A service that charges more than double of any other competitor and it still has the majority of subscribers in its field and uses software that tries to take over your entire computer ( very similar to spyware or viruses ).

$23.95 for dial up service, thats freakin nutz and the average competitor dial up is $9.99.
    They still have more than half of the total internet users subscribed in America.
    I have had 3 instances back in the day where sound would go out or weird errors would pop up and tech support would always say, "uninstall AOL and that should fix it".... and it always did.
    And their built in download manager has never worked right, especially when batch downloading multiple files. Would always freeze after around the 10th file.

And I know for a fact that they sell user's info to companies for advertisement or at least use to.. I use to work in retail and one of my jobs was to sign people up for MSN internet service ( I think Microsoft is a scam too but that's for another thread). A customer told me he would sign up with MSN if they sold customer's info like name and address like AOL did. I told him no and that I doubt AOL does that. That very day after I got off from work, I called AOL and asked them and apparently they do or at least did have a program like that for their business customers. ( Spam busters my @$$ )

Sounds like a scam to me but thats just my opinion. :p

What do you think ?
    Last edited by kbluebig; 01-14-2006 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Addition
    12/31 Metareward.com $2000 GC=$1500 GC shipped 4/3
    12/31 Everyfreegift Sony Plasma TV=received $1500 check 3/22
    1/3 Gadgetcity xbox360=4 approved certs mailed
    1/5 yourgiftcards.com $50 Visa GC=1 approved certs mailed
    1/5 internetopiniongroup PS3= $250 check shipped 4/4
    1/5 anyfreegift $100 Visa GC=2 approved certs mailed
    1/5 50dollargiftcard $50 Target GC=received 3/30
    2/5 pays2shop $250 buy.com GC=certs mailed
    2/6 pollprizeusa IPOD Video=1/4 complete

Re: Is AOL a scam ?

Quote Originally Posted by kbluebig
    A service that charges more than double of any other competitor and it still has the majority of subscribers in its field and uses software that tries to take over your entire computer ( very similar to spyware or viruses ).

$23.95 for dial up service, thats freakin nutz and the average competitor dial up is $9.99.
    They still have more than half of the total internet users subscribed in America.
    I have had 3 instances back in the day where sound would go out or weird errors would pop up and tech support would always say, "uninstall AOL and that should fix it".... and it always did.
    And their built in download manager has never worked right, especially when batch downloading multiple files. Would always freeze after around the 10th file.

And I know for a fact that they sell user's info to companies for advertisement or at least use to.. I use to work in retail and one of my jobs was to sign people up for MSN internet service ( I think Microsoft is a scam too but that's for another thread). A customer told me he would sign up with MSN if they sold customer's info like name and address like AOL did. I told him no and that I doubt AOL does that. That very day after I got off from work, I called AOL and asked them and apparently they do or at least did have a program like that for their business customers. ( Spam busters my @$$ )

Sounds like a scam to me but thats just my opinion. :p

What do you think ?
    I think the scam about AOL is that the wont let you cancel it! I got 11 free months because they wouldnt let me cancel and then finally i said just f***ing cancel it. They called me like 3 months later saying i needed to check out their new "security features" and i could sign in using my old password. (I though AOL didnt access members passwords?) Anyways i told him no thanks and instead of them saying ok thanks he sounded kinda mad and said "how do you know you dont want it unless you log in and sign back up? to make a long story short i hung up on him and havent had any calls from AOL.

ya get what you pay for. i used those cheap internet services in the past. i would always get knocked off for no reason, & i got pop-ups, & viruses galore! among other issues. i use aol & pay $14.95 per month. i love it!

My wifes family uses AOL and like it but after i got finished with it i thought i was away from them. Ironically my wife applied at their call center on monday, got called tuesday, went in for an interview yesterday, and got a call saying she got the job this morning lol so now im stuck with AOL, but hey at least its free now. LoL

Any program that changes registry settings of windows programs and other programs without the knowledge of the user is a virus...

AOL is a virus and they continue to log your info long after you uninstall it from your system.

Speaking of uninstalling it... it took me 3 hours to remove all traces of AOL from my computer ( I signed up for one of the Free gift sites). I hate them... I hate them a lot.
    Deth is always approaching, live while you can...

AOL kicked me off more than any other ISP.
    At one time I even chose an option they had called bring your own access, where I used cable modem high speed for the internet connection from my cable company and still connected to AOL servers and guess what. AOL still disconnected me from their servers almost like it was scheduled but my cable modem was still connected to the internet.

I heard that they purposely kick people off when their local servers in busy areas get too many connections. I don't know if its true or not but that would make sense.

Insead of adding more servers or routers, they just kick people off. Yeah, thats real customer service.
    12/31 Metareward.com $2000 GC=$1500 GC shipped 4/3
    12/31 Everyfreegift Sony Plasma TV=received $1500 check 3/22
    1/3 Gadgetcity xbox360=4 approved certs mailed
    1/5 yourgiftcards.com $50 Visa GC=1 approved certs mailed
    1/5 internetopiniongroup PS3= $250 check shipped 4/4
    1/5 anyfreegift $100 Visa GC=2 approved certs mailed
    1/5 50dollargiftcard $50 Target GC=received 3/30
    2/5 pays2shop $250 buy.com GC=certs mailed
    2/6 pollprizeusa IPOD Video=1/4 complete

I believe the biggest reason AOL is huge is because it comes preloaded on all new computers, with 6 months free access when you activate. Once you activate, they've got you. It is almost impossible to cancel.

I tried many times to cancel before finally getting rid of them. One rep tried to convince me that it would be impossible to get the level of protection provided by AOL. I told him I had Zone Alarm Pro firewall, Norton Professional Antivirus, AdAware, Noadware, Spybot, Ccleaner, and various other trojan detection programs running, did not want AOL, and did not need it. He told me those programs were no good, and that I was totally computer illiterate if I thought those programs offered any protection.

In answer to that, I asked him how he could explain the fact that I was able to run a traffic program that I designed, marketed, built to over 1600 customers and had an Alexa rating in the top 5,000 on the internet in a matter of a few months if I was soooooo computer illiterate. I ended up hanging up on him, and continued to be billed.

Another time, after listening to some ridiculous rant, I addressed my sister who was listening in to the conversation. The rep insisted that she get off the line or I would be sued. LOL The same thing happened when calling, and informing the rep that our conversation was being recorded. He demanded that the recorder be turned off or I would be sued.

For those interested, there is a class action lawsuit against AOL for unauthorized charges. Your "Proof of Claim and Release" form must be postmarked no later than April 24, 2006, to be included in the litigation settlement. If you have not received notice of this, below is info about the case.

Unauthorized Charges Litigation Case:

O'Leary v. America Online, Inc. and ICT Group, Inc.
    Circuit Court, Twentieth Judicial Circuit
    St. Clair County, Illinois

Mailing Address:

Unauthorized Charges Litigation Settlement
    P. O. Box 9000 #6304
    Merrick, NY 11566-9000

Phone:

1-800-409-3089

Online Claim Form and Instructions:

Unathorized Charges Litigation Info

I agree that they are too hard to cancel. I did manage on an account. I still use them though, there are some features I do like. They really need to reactivate their community leader program though. Its the only thing that really made them unique.

I signed up for the free 30 day trial for my bigwin $1000 "shopping spree" because i had a friend who did it and it went to in progress rather quickly and its free, or so i thought. Two weeks later its still not in progress and I go to look at my account and they have already charged me 23.90. I called them up and after 5 mins of getting thru automated menus I got ahold of a person. However every time I told them they had charged me and it was showing up on my bank account and AOL account they would just claim that they wouldnt charge until exactly one month after the account was opened up. After trying to plea my case and them not responding, I told them I just wanted to cancel then. They then became aggitated with me when I told them I just wanted to cancel because the service was bad. It got ugly but I finally got the service cancelled. Don't do this offer unless you want a headache

Question: I forgot my screen name, so they asked for my full credit card number in order to confirm my account. Anyone know if they usually do this?

Heh, going to cancel just in case, though.
    Last edited by BobMakihara; 03-30-2006 at 05:09 AM.

$100 Gas card - Your Gift Cards - 1/1 Recieved (Visa) - 07-24-06
    $50 Gift Card - The Useful - 1/1 Recieved ($75) - 03-27-06
    $50 Walmart Gift Card - 50DollarGiftCard - 1/1 Recieved - 04-03-06
    Xbox 360 - Gadget City - 4/4 Received ($300 gift card) - 05-01-06
    42" Plasma - Every Free Gift - 6/6 Recieved ($1000 check) - 07-06-06
    TIVO+Samsung 30" HDTV - Must Have Free Gifts - 3/3 Recieved ($950 check) - 12-08-06

Cheap Lunch Total: $2475

AOL was the easiest cancel I've ever done. All you do is fax in the form and forget about it. If you actually want to cancel, don't waste your time discussing it with one of their retention reps. If you want more free service, they will give you all you want, though, if you play your hand well.

I totally agree AOL is a scam...You pay ****ing almost $25 a month and they take over your computer, make it impossible to cancel, and even still give you advertisments! I have cancelled AOL twice in the past, I learned from the first time not to tell them the specific reason why I want to cancel and to be persistant in saying "soo you're cancelling my account right?" The first time I accidentally told them I signed up for AOL because I would get a free ipod, then they started telling me about AOL music and sure enough I had another 2 months for free and was pissed because I didn't succeed in what I originally planned on,

13. 04-04-2006, 02:43 AM