Mutual Warranty Company Ripoff

Company Name: Mutual Warranty
    http://www.mutualwarranty.com/compan...nformation.htm
    Mutual Warranty Company
    Denver Place
    999 18th Street, 30th Floor
    Denver, CO, 80202
    USA

I signed up with Mutual Warranty on Tuesday Jan 3rd, 2006. I switched over from another home warranty company called American Home Sheild. One of the criteria for the switch was that the coverage for Mutual Warranty was effective immediately thus not introducing any break as a result of the provider switch. I spoke with a gentleman named Devon in the sales department about the coverage. To convince me to switch over from American Home Shield, Devon offered a $25 discount and also agreed to add a clause in my contract for coverage of blockages in pipes.
    Few days into the coverage I the flushing mechanism of the toilet broke. Also I noticed leak from one are of the tank. I filed the claim Fri Jan 6th. The claim was processed extremely slowly and I had to call mutual insurance customer service around 4-5 times. Their selected contractor was supposed to contact me but in the end I had to call the contractor myself. The contractor finally came to my house on Monday Jan 9th. The contractor mentioned that Mutual Warranty had faxed them my wrong phone number and even listed incorrect city and that's why the contractor could not contact me. Also Mutual Warranty stopped the contractor from providing the service over the weekend as the weekend charges were higher. Note that for non emergency service the sales representative had promised a 24-48 hour time frame.
    The contractor recommended to replace the flush as he observed a few cracks that had started leaking. Mutual Warranty agreed to replacing the toilet but did not authorize the Toto toilet the contractor was recommending even though it was comparable in quality to my existing toilet. Once again when signing up the contract the sales person had mentioned that the replacement items are of comparable quality or better provided it does not exceed the maximum coverage.
    The contractor brought the lower quality toilet that was quite different from my existing toilet for installation. As the new toilet was a two piece toilet that had a higher flush tank and it did not even fit in the space. I called mutual warranty to authorize a different toilet and spoke with Jerry. Upon finding out the cost of the toilet, Jerry said that the toilet is not even covered as the problems may be an existing problem. Note that this claim was made on Wed Jan 11th and after the claim processing department had already approved the claim. It was not until Jerry found out the cost of replacement that he started questioning the claim.
    Jerry spoke with the contractor and said that the items are not covered as the cracks and leakage was pre-existing. I called the contractor and they mentioned that one of the cracks was old and there were two new cracks. As far as the timing for the leakage is concerned it was not possible to determine anything with certainty. The crack could have been a cosmetic crack that can open up anytime. Note that as per the contract Mutual Warranty does not provide coverage for a cosmetic crack until it starts leaking. Thus they do not consider a flush with a cosmetic crack in a non working state.
    I also pointed out the problems mutual warranty provides coverage for, develop over time. The problem may have started developing much earlier but that should not void the coverage. As the contractor who looked at the problem could not determine anything with certainty, Mutual Warranty can not unilaterally make the decision to deny coverage. To attract new customers, they waived their right for home inspection and do not have any lock up period, then they should not deny claims even if they are made within a short period of time just because the claims are costly. Jerry mentioned that the decision is final and they will cancel my contract and charge a $35 cancellation fee.
    In the meantime I received the contract in writing. The written contract did not contain the additional coverage for the blockages that I was promised on the phone for signing up the contract.
    I wanted to file a complaint against the company for false advertisement and verbal promises to sign up customers, extremely poor customer service, and not honoring the contract terms if the cost is higher than they expect

Re: Mutual Warranty Company Ripoff

I am very happy to report that Mutual Warranty company agreed to work out this problem. There are some very reasonable people who spent time to understand the issue.
    Being a new company, they are more willing to work out problems unlike some of their bigger counterparts.

I too am having nothing but problems with Mutual Warranty.

On Friday night, I noticed that my well pump was continuously running. I shut it off and decided to change the filter on the water filtration system. When I turned the pump back on, there was absolutely no pressure and NO WATER.

I immediately went to find my paperwork from Mutual Warranty (which consists of emails confirming payments, since they still have not sent the policy or any other paperwork). I started calling and the number listed on the web site and in my paperwork to no avail. I called numerous times and upon going through the automated attendant, would be put on hold assumably waiting for someone. No one ever answered. I was on "hold" for approximately 5 hours and finally gave up.

Saturday morning I again called several times. Around 11:00 a.m. I went on line and was able to speak with someone via instant message through their website and was told their phone systems were down. I was assured that they would have a service provider contact me within 4 hours. When I expressed the emergent nature and that I had already been without water for over 12 hours and was worried about pipes freezing, etc., he said he would make this an "emergency" and have someone contact me immediately.

Four hours later, I still had not heard back and began calling their only published number hourly. The number reaches an answering service that can do nothing but email them. They have no number to reach Mutual Warranty and no contact with them other then email. I was told by one of the operators that this has happened on numerous occasions (people left in the lurch and Mutual Warranty not responding). I was also told that I probably would not receive a call back from them before Monday or Tuesday since Monday is a holiday.

Right now I have been without water for over 36 hours. Their web site promises prompt service and contact within 4 hours during regular business hours (which is when I contacted them on Saturday morning) or 48 hours on weekends and holidays.

I thought I had done my homework before purchasing a home warranty and actually checked with several different companies. I would not recommend Mutual Warranty to any one and think believe that this company is a complete scam.
    Last edited by NewVermonter; 02-19-2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: clarification

UPDATE - I was pleasantly surprised by Mutual Warranty stepping up to the plate and really facilitating a happy ending to my saga. After having several days fraught with problems, I was contacted by one of their account executives, Mark Armstrong. Mr. Armstrong personally contacted the service providers and followed up constantly making sure the job was done, and done correctly!

Can anyone give me an ext. number to SOMEONE that will actually return your calls or answer their line?? I can't get a REAL person to answer or call me back. In the last few weeks I have left more than 30 messages and 20 emails for ANYONE that will call me. I have not gotten ONE response. This company owes me money for a microwave that JERRY CHAPMAN authorized. I was told the check was being mailed three weeks ago. The company ALSO owes the repairman over 400.00 for the work that he did. They told him the same thing.."the check is in the mail." Can ANYONE give me phone numbers or names of people to call there? I only get voicemail. I did try to call and select the sales dept. I actually DID get someone there. DAVE. I begged him to not send me to a voicemail, to find a PERSON, a MANAGER, to talk to. He said he was on a different floor. BUT, he said he would send me to HIS manager. "Mark Armstrong". He sent me right to a voice mail for a person named PAUL CRUISE, I think that is what it said. Well, that is one of the people I left a message for last week that didn't call back. I am at my wits END. I really believe I have been scammed by this company.

I am a Minnesota general contractor who has performed work for Mutual Warranty. They are 5 months delinquent in paying money owed to my firm. The last contact with them was April 7 at which time they said they would cut checks the following Tuesday. No payment has been made. I have tried to reach them using every option available on their phone system, and have only been able to make contact with their answering service. Today, the person at the answering service who took my call informed me that she was glad she was not a Mutual Warranty employee and that there have been many complaint calls recently. I have every reason to believe these folks are not able or do not intend to meet their obligations, and have notified the customers for whom I've performed work that they will need to make payment. They should conclude that no further premium payments should be made to this company. Moreover, they risk liens being put on their property by contractors.

My name is Walter Grenci. I live in Toms River, NJ. I have had NOTHING but problems with Mutual Warranty. The plumber they dispatched, (who was ok), we thought he fixed the leak. Then we noticed that we had a problem with our roof leaking. These are all covered items. My wife phoned today, (06-27-06). She was able to get someone at Mutual Warranty who told her that within 4 hours someone would call us. What a lie! NO ONE has called us. My wife also requested that the send out the original plumber as the leak is still not fixed. They told her, get this---That the roof repair would have to come out first and look at the roof leak and then check on the other one. What the hell does a roofer know about plumbing??? After my wife told me this I called the company at 1-866-968-8825. The telephone prompt sounds like it changed. So I waited for the entire message and hit 2 to request service/ check on a service request. Then it returned to the original greeting, I thought I did something wrong and complied again. It was the same DAMM THING a continoius loop. I then sent an e-mail to the company rep. that sold us the policy- Michael Yungwrith x 174. Guess what no return calls or return e-mails. This does not even address a still outstanding call for service re: our pool and it's filtration problem. I paid a lot over $700.00 for the top of the line plan with no service fee for the contractor. I now am convinced that this company is defunct or out of business. So hear is my question: Does anyone know or has anyone have luck with getting their problems solved? I would prefer to cancel my policy and get a pro rated return. Has anyone written the cooperate office? Has anyone contacted any law enforcement or state attorney general's offices, etc. Can anyone please help me? I can be directly reached at my home phone number of (732) 288-0512. I would appericiate any help!

My name is Walter Grenci. I live in Toms River, NJ. I have had NOTHING but problems with Mutual Warranty. The plumber they dispatched, (who was ok), we thought he fixed the leak. Then we noticed that we had a problem with our roof leaking. These are all covered items. My wife phoned today, (06-27-06). She was able to get someone at Mutual Warranty who told her that within 4 hours someone would call us. What a lie! NO ONE has called us. My wife also requested that the send out the original plumber as the leak is still not fixed. They told her, get this---That the roof repair would have to come out first and look at the roof leak and then check on the other one. What the hell does a roofer know about plumbing??? After my wife told me this I called the company at 1-866-968-8825. The telephone prompt sounds like it changed. So I waited for the entire message and hit 2 to request service/ check on a service request. Then it returned to the original greeting, I thought I did something wrong and complied again. It was the same DAMN THING a continuous loop. I then sent an e-mail to the company rep. that sold us the policy- Michael Yungwrith x 174. Guess what no return calls or return e-mails. This does not even address a still outstanding call for service re: our pool and it's filtration problem. I paid a lot over $700.00 for the top of the line plan with no service fee for the contractor. I now am convinced that this company is defunct or out of business. So hear is my question: Does anyone know or has anyone have luck with getting their problems solved? I would prefer to cancel my policy and get a pro rated return. Has anyone written the cooperate office? Has anyone contacted any law enforcement or state attorney generals offices, etc. Can anyone please help me? I can be directly reached at my home phone number of (732) 288-0512. I would appreciate any help!

About 2 months ago, I had my AC serviced by a company that Mutul Warranty dispatched. They fixed the problem and I thought everything was fine. Until a few days ago the company called me and said that Mutual warranty never paid them and they now sent me the bill for $200. So Not only did I pay $500 to get the warranty, now it looks like I have to pay an additional $200. I have tried calling many times and no one answers. It just brings you back to the main menu. I think that they are going bankrupt. But if not, I say we get a class action lawsuit to get our money back.

I am for the class action lawsuit! Let's go! Should we/ has anyone contacted auth. In Colorado where their office is located? Like the Attorney Generals office there? Please write back!

IT IS MY OPINION THAT MUTUAL WARRANTY IS FULL OF SCAM ARTISTS.
    About a year ago (August/2005), I was actually in the market for a Home Warranty provider. I came across Mutual Warranty while doing a search on the internet. I called and spoke to Micheal Youngwirth and he set up the contract for me. He said that in a few days I would receive my contract. A week and a half passed and I got nothing. It took about 5 calls to get out of their "voice answering loop". I spoke to Micheal again and asked about my contract. He tells me, "Oh, I thought I sent it. I'll send it again"....Needless to say I received nothing. I must have called about 30 times ( I was able to get a live person about 5 times) looking for my contract. Micheal would always tell me, "Oops, I thought I sent it." I thought to myself, "Is this a company that I can trust?" My answer was no. I called Micheal Youngwirth to cancel my service. I told him exactly what I thought of Mutual Warranty and I told him that I no longer want anything to do with them. He said "No Problem, you're contract has just been cancelled". Mind you, a month had not passed between the time I set-up the contract and the time I called to cancel. I immediately signed up for a plan with American Home Shield.
    Last Friday (6/30/06) I received a packet in the mail from Mutual Warranty stating that it appreciates my business as a valued planholder. My response was "HUH?!"
    My whole impression up to that point was that I had rid myself of this horrible disease of a company a year ago. Apparently not, seems as though they were charging me quarterly for a plan that should have been cancelled. I called, and called, and called some more..only to be sent into the endless abyss of voice answering limbo. I decided to chat online with their "reps". The rep I chatted with was named JJ (probably stands for Jumbo Jackass). I told him what was going on. He said "You're not in our system" and then he ended the chat session immediately, without giving me the opportunity to respond. So, I called Mutual Warranty OVER and OVER and OVER again. It got to the point where I was pushing any number in their voice menu, with hopes of being transferred to a live person. I finally got a hold of someone. He said "Sir, it seems as though you're contract wasn't cancelled and that you're still in our system."
    I called back today...and after about 10 minutes of the "voice messaging system game", I spoke to Edgardo Pimentel. Get this, in the same conversation he told me that my account had been cancelled and then later on he tells me "Well Sir, your account had not been cancelled."
    I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager and he tells me "Well, the manager is busy." I remained persistent in wanting to speak to the supervisor and Edgardo "goes to get the supervisor". For the next 5 minutes I'm relaying messages to the "supervisor" through Edgardo beacuse he/she is too busy to come to the phone. They finally give me a "direct line" to someone who I can talk to about my complaints. Guess what......that number stays busy.

Has anyone contacted the Better Business Bureau? I will defintiely be doing that.

We all need to band together and file that class action lawsuit. Anyone vol. to be the point person or have any other ideas? I'm open to all.

I am STILL waiting on a response from Mutual. My problems began in April. I don't even know if I can tell you all of the trouble I have had with them. I call and leave messages on every extention I can think of to enter, since I too have the problem with the continuous circle with the recording. I use the "LIVE CHAT". They MUST have me in the system as a "problem" cause it usually takes 20-50 minutes for someone to talk to me. I can only get someone in "CUSTOMER SERVICE". The billing dept. NEVER works I guess. I send at least 12 emails EVERYDAY. Every person I have actually GOTTEN to actually TALK to has told me that someone WILL call me back TODAY, or because of the move to the new offices everything got behind but they have put me as TOP PRIORITY. WHATEVER!!! They had me go and purchase a new microwave and told me to fax the receipt and they would send the check. I haven't gotten one and when I ask someone about it they say you have to talk to the billing dept. The problem is you can't TALK TO THE BILLING DEPT! They haven't paid the contractor and he harrassing me for the money. I am at the end of my rope. If there was a way to get to them I would do it. I have reported them to the better business bureau. I suggest that each of you do the same thing. You can do it online. If any of you know another way to handle them let me know. I will do whatever I need to, to get what they owe me and to the contractor. I can NOT afford to pay him too. I have heard that he can put a lien on my property for it. GREAT! JUST WHAT I NEED! You can reach me at [email protected]. Thanks for listening to me rant!

I have had an equally frustrating experience... I decided to cut my losses in time and dispute their charge on my credit card with the credit card company. Citibank is now looking into them... I recommend you do the same. If they get enough disputes, they will lose their ability to process credit cards.

Count me in. I too am ripped off by this company. I have spent a total of about 8 hours trying to track down someone since the day I signed up.

I have emailed Mark Armstrong 5 times. No response. Left 3 voicemails no response.

To my delight I dedicated today to finding out what is going on. I cannot call them at 1-866-9Mutual which is their service number. I did contact the phone number on my credit card charge for the bill. Their number is 1-800-861-8323 and the company is a transaction processing company. The person on the other end of the phone insured me that there would be an investigation inot the matter, and that their phones are down.

Their internet site security certificate is also expired on June 30th as well... I am thinking the company has gone under.

Most disturbing was my investigation into if this company still exists. I went to try to get a quote online... and it worked! I could even pay if I wanted to.
    Then seriously less than one minute after making a quote online I get a call from 507-204-4900 (caller id) from someone named "Aaron" from Mutal Warranty wanting to know if I had any further questions. I told him I am an existing customer and have been trying to reach them since I signed up from my account in May. He then hesitated and said he would transfer me to customer service. I waited to horrific hold music for 30 minutes before giving up. I then tried to call the number back where he called from. 507-204-4900 is not working number. So they are call masking as well. All signs point to huge scam.

I filed with BBB and my credit card company.

Please contact me if you have any questions and go ahead and add me to that class action suit.
    Houston Hopkins
    [email protected]

We are a small Heating/AC contractor in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. We began doing emergency work for Mutual Warranty in April. At this point, we have not been paid by the company for any work, parts or labor that we incurred and billed. We also are not able to contact the company. Excuses run the gammit - All circuits are busy, billing office closed, etc... I called posing as a new customer. When I did get someone and asked for a mailing address, she hung up on me. I called back and got Estevan. He gave me the mailing address and did not know English well enough to understand that Denver, CO meant Denver, Colorado. He gave me the address ending with Denver Company. I suggested that he meant Denver, Colorado. He acknowledged his blunder after my suggestion. I asked for a local contact so that I could get a home inspection prior to my purchase. It was not required and I could purchase warranty without it. I asked for a local contact to come to my home to explain the program. He suggested a simple email or contact website. I told him I didn't have internet access. By the way, they are having a "sale" today. The Premium package is "only" $308.00 The Signature package, normally $575.00 is "on sale" for $403.75 Quite a deal. You pay them. We do the work, 24/7. We don't get paid. We bill you. Quite a deal.

Martin Moon who manages at Big Sky Call Center in Calgary Alberta, Canada, Mutual's call answering service, assured me that he would contact some folks at Mutual by lunch today concerning our billing dilemna after I told him that we were threatening legal action. It is now 1:41pm. No return call. We need customers to STOP paying Mutual and to join us in legal action. Ultimately, CUSTOMERS sign and agree to the work being performed. Ultimately, CUSTOMERS are liable to contractors for payment.

Address given to me for Mutual Warranty:

Denver Place
    999 18th Street
    30th Floor
    Denver, CO 80202

Billing #: 403-261-1035 Extention 183 "Jessica" (of course, got voice mail)

Answering Service:
    Big Sky Call Centers
    Suite 109S
    8500 MacLeod Trail SE
    Calgary Alberta, Canada
    POC: Martin Moon