+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 65

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,383

    60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Now, what kind of person would even THINK of doing this? Hopefully, he will die very soon. As they say, just a little bit of 'progress' every day, and....
    ************************************************** *****




    Sex Offender Sentence Criticized


    Burlington, Vermont -- January 5, 2006

    Vermont Judge Edward Cashman is coming under fire for handing out a light sentence to a child rapist.

    The judge says did it because he no longer believes in punishment and he wants to speed the rapist's entry into a rehabilitation program.

    Judge Cashman's short sentence for an admitted child molester triggered immediate public and political reaction with some lawmakers saying he should leave the bench.

    Judge Edward Cashman's light sentence was the talk of the town. Wednesday he sentenced child rapist Mark Hulett to 60 days in jail. Hulett admitted he raped a little girl countless times when she was between 7 and 10 years old.

    Prosecutors said Hulett deserved at least 8 years in prison in part as punishment.

    But Judge Cashman said the 60-day sentence guaranteed that Hulett would get into sex offender rehabilitation quickly or face a possible life sentence. He said he had no choice because the Corrections Department classified Hulett as a low risk offender meaning he can't get treatment until he's out of jail.

    And more importantly the judge announced that after 25 years on the bench, he no longer believes in punishment.

    Almost everyone we spoke with in Burlington on Thursday had heard about the case, but we found no one who liked it.

    "We were actually talking about it at work this morning. It just does not feel as if justice was done. Seems like a really serious crime with a pretty small consequence," said Joan Robinson of Burlington.

    "I was dismayed to see that someone who had committed such a serious crime against a young child would be given less of a prison sentence than for instance someone who got a second-term DWI," said Paul Poss of South Burlington.

    "It just seems really sad to me that was the judge's decision. And I hope that other judges look at that decision and see it as the wrong decision,"explained Robyn MaGuire of Winooski.

    It's absolutely amazing based on what's going on in the United States with sex offenders, registry, non-registry, and so forth, that somebody could get a 60-day sentence and get off that easily. It just seems impossible to me that a 60-day sentence is logical," said Bill Polk of Panton.

    Now the judge's ruling apparently sparked some political fires at the statehouse. Republican lawmakers have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow to call for mandatory minimum sentences. That's a direct response to Judge Cashman's ruling.

    On the other hand, several defense lawyers toldChannel 3 the judge's decision was "fair", "brilliant" and "beautifully reasoned."

    Some Republicans have started calls for Cashman's removal from the bench.

    But they may have to until Judge Cashman's six-year retention hearings in March 2007. Legal experts say it is highly unlikely his sentencing decision would qualify as an impeachable offense. And as for any Judicial Conduct Board disciplinary action, the judge's behavior would have to be unethical, not just unpopular, to get him in trouble.

    Brian Joyce - Channel 3 News
    Last edited by pwrone; 01-07-2006 at 04:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Now, what kind of person would even THINK of doing this? Hopefully, he will die very soon. As they say, just a little bit of 'progress' every day, and....
    ************************************************** *****

    Sex Offender Sentence Criticized

    Burlington, Vermont -- January 5, 2006

    Vermont Judge Edward Cashman is coming under fire for handing out a light sentence to a child rapist.

    The judge says did it because he no longer believes in punishment and he wants to speed the rapist's entry into a rehabilitation program.

    Judge Cashman's short sentence for an admitted child molester triggered immediate public and political reaction with some lawmakers saying he should leave the bench.

    Judge Edward Cashman's light sentence was the talk of the town. Wednesday he sentenced child rapist Mark Hulett to 60 days in jail. Hulett admitted he raped a little girl countless times when she was between 7 and 10 years old.

    Prosecutors said Hulett deserved at least 8 years in prison in part as punishment.

    But Judge Cashman said the 60-day sentence guaranteed that Hulett would get into sex offender rehabilitation quickly or face a possible life sentence. He said he had no choice because the Corrections Department classified Hulett as a low risk offender meaning he can't get treatment until he's out of jail.

    And more importantly the judge announced that after 25 years on the bench, he no longer believes in punishment.

    Almost everyone we spoke with in Burlington on Thursday had heard about the case, but we found no one who liked it.

    "We were actually talking about it at work this morning. It just does not feel as if justice was done. Seems like a really serious crime with a pretty small consequence," said Joan Robinson of Burlington.

    "I was dismayed to see that someone who had committed such a serious crime against a young child would be given less of a prison sentence than for instance someone who got a second-term DWI," said Paul Poss of South Burlington.

    "It just seems really sad to me that was the judge's decision. And I hope that other judges look at that decision and see it as the wrong decision,"explained Robyn MaGuire of Winooski.

    It's absolutely amazing based on what's going on in the United States with sex offenders, registry, non-registry, and so forth, that somebody could get a 60-day sentence and get off that easily. It just seems impossible to me that a 60-day sentence is logical," said Bill Polk of Panton.

    Now the judge's ruling apparently sparked some political fires at the statehouse. Republican lawmakers have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow to call for mandatory minimum sentences. That's a direct response to Judge Cashman's ruling.

    On the other hand, several defense lawyers toldChannel 3 the judge's decision was "fair", "brilliant" and "beautifully reasoned."

    Some Republicans have started calls for Cashman's removal from the bench.

    But they may have to until Judge Cashman's six-year retention hearings in March 2007. Legal experts say it is highly unlikely his sentencing decision would qualify as an impeachable offense. And as for any Judicial Conduct Board disciplinary action, the judge's behavior would have to be unethical, not just unpopular, to get him in trouble.

    Brian Joyce - Channel 3 News
    Geez! That's disgusting, the guy admitted his guilt. I don't think any child molester has ever been rehabilitated have they?

    Interesting to note pwrone this same judge screwed up in October:

    "after he declared a mis-trial, he arranged a meeting between the defense attorneys and the jurors, without telling the prosecutor. According to one of the jurors from Chester County, "It seemed too congenial. Clearly, the judge and the defense attorneys were in bed together".

    He was asked to step down and he refused to. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pshell/gammag...s/cashman.html

    Then in November he let a drunk driver off:
    http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4085694&nav=4QcS

    This judge needs to be taken off the bench. Oh, where did you find the story? It's been on the radio but I can't find it in an Internet search.

    Lady Mod

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,383

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Geez! That's disgusting, the guy admitted his guilt. I don't think any child molester has ever been rehabilitated have they?

    Interesting to note pwrone this same judge screwed up in October:

    "after he declared a mis-trial, he arranged a meeting between the defense attorneys and the jurors, without telling the prosecutor. According to one of the jurors from Chester County, "It seemed too congenial. Clearly, the judge and the defense attorneys were in bed together".

    He was asked to step down and he refused to. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pshell/gammag...s/cashman.html

    Then in November he let a drunk driver off:
    http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4085694&nav=4QcS

    This judge needs to be taken off the bench. Oh, where did you find the story? It's been on the radio but I can't find it in an Internet search.

    Lady Mod

    http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605&nav=4QcT

    Yeah, I am curious that a person who describes himself as "no longer believing in punishment" thinks he can perform his job. This girl was repeatedly raped for years--she may never be right again. I wonder how many kids would be saved by a person who steps up to the plate in this matter? I would contribute thousands to his defense. I am beyond angry...probably need to stop reading the news for a few days(weeks)!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    It's a question of justice. Our whole legal system is questionable.

    Suppose I go and steal a chicken from your land. What would justice be? If I were to be locked up in jail, would that be administration of justice? What about your chicken? You haven't gotten your chicken back, have you? An injustice was done, but how is it righted by locking me in jail? That doesn't bring your chicken back.

    Justice would be for me to bring your chicken back to set things right, and to give you two more to atone for my error.

    Our legal system is based upon various measures of "punishment". But it often neglects justice. Justice does not equal punishment.

    Suppose your child, being careless, breaks your neighbor's window playing ball. An injustice was done to your neighbor. What do you do? Do you ground your child and spank him? Or do you tell him to go mow your neighbor's yard and weed his garden for a month to work off the debt he owes to your neighbor for having broken his window?

    The former is "punishment". The latter, while it could also be considered "punishment", is administration of justice. Punishment alone does not administer justice. If you ground your kid for being so careless, your neighbor is not recompensed. No justice is done.

    I'm not comparing stealing chickens or breaking windows with rape or murder. The point is that we should question our legal system of "punishment" which so often neglects the administration of actual justice.

    Some debt for some crimes cannot be paid, except blood for blood. That is why there is capital punishment. I believe in capital punishment, theoretically. However, I am opposed to it in practice due to the many flaws in our legal system.

    In this case, what would be more just, locking the criminal behind bars for a number of years where he is a burden to society and where he will eventually be released even more prone for criminality than when he entered, or to try to make an effort to get the person to become a law-abiding, productive member of society?

    I believe that is the dilemma this judge is considering when he says he no longer believes in "punishment". I don't necessarily disagree.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu

    In this case, what would be more just, locking the criminal behind bars for a number of years where he is a burden to society and where he will eventually be released even more prone for criminality than when he entered, or to try to make an effort to get the person to become a law-abiding, productive member of society?

    I believe that is the dilemma this judge is considering when he says he no longer believes in "punishment". I don't necessarily disagree.

    I see what you are saying and I understand the dilemma. This girl won't get her years back. How about sending the man to Arizona and putting him in the chain gangs to work? He won't be a debt on society and can work off his penance. The least he could do was work to pay for this child's couseling and college.

    That would be an "I took your innocense and trust away, I can't return that, but I'll pay for your counseling to help you get past the harm I've done to you and by way of apology and repentance I'll build your college fund for your future."


    At least it would be something. Right?

    Lady Mod

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    I'm not a great believer in "counselling" because I don't think most counsellors are qualified. Isn't it in the same school of thought to believe pedophiles can be rehabilitated - with counselling? What could a "counsellor" say or do that would make a significant diiference to this child or her family. How could counselling bring about the change of a person so depraved that they would molest a child? It's wishful thinking - just my opinion. I do think that the victims (including families) would find some closure and healing if these perverts were put away for the rest of their lives. No one else will ever be at risk and neither will they. Radical, yes, but the only one being punished is the pervert.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nunya
    Posts
    996

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    I'm for the 50% rule.

    Do it once, you get it chopped in half.
    Repeat offenders don't have to worry about it because the other half is taken! :eek:

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Aspartame Island
    Posts
    920

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    The guy is lucky to still be alive after pulling something like that. :mad: If I caught him, he'd be hanging upside down by the rope tied to his dink while I use him as a kicking bag. :eek: :)

    We appear to have some spineless judges that seem reluctant to hand out stiffer penalties. How can someone allow this type of thing to keep entering the courts and merely sentence people to sit in a jail cell ? obviously people are content to hand out sentences and stay within the parameters of the law, instead of working to change the absurdities.

    I think in the long run, some people may just find this guy and he'll disappear. Maybe the courts should allow the people to decide for awhile and let them give suitable punishment. Like Raider says about the 50% rule. That could work. Pedophiles can piss through a straw for the remainder of life.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    tornado alley
    Posts
    132

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    I think a judge who states that he "no longer believes in punishment" needs to step down.
    I think that "punishment" will work in certain cases/situations.
    I do NOT think "punishment" will work in cases of sex-offenders or murderers though. These ppl are in a completely different category.

    We can't go handing out "x" amnt. of yr sentences/OR counseling/OR any kind of punishment for these kinds of ppl....we need to remove them from society permanently.
    To even THINK of letting them back out into society once they have been caught, is the most ridiculous thought.
    NO they can NOT be counseled into having human compassion, that's something you either have you or don't.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I see what you are saying and I understand the dilemma. This girl won't get her years back. How about sending the man to Arizona and putting him in the chain gangs to work? He won't be a debt on society and can work off his penance. The least he could do was work to pay for this child's couseling and college.

    That would be an "I took your innocense and trust away, I can't return that, but I'll pay for your counseling to help you get past the harm I've done to you and by way of apology and repentance I'll build your college fund for your future."


    At least it would be something. Right?

    Lady Mod
    Precisely. He can't give a child back her virginity or erase the emotional scars she will likely have for the rest of her life. But he could recompense somehow, rather than just rotting in prison only to emerge a worse criminal than when he entered.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by PAYEK
    NO they can NOT be counseled into having human compassion, that's something you either have you or don't.
    So some people are born without human compassion? That would seem to be the logical corollary of your above statement. And I don't buy that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    I'm not a great believer in "counselling" because I don't think most counsellors are qualified. Isn't it in the same school of thought to believe pedophiles can be rehabilitated - with counselling? What could a "counsellor" say or do that would make a significant diiference to this child or her family. How could counselling bring about the change of a person so depraved that they would molest a child? It's wishful thinking - just my opinion. I do think that the victims (including families) would find some closure and healing if these perverts were put away for the rest of their lives. No one else will ever be at risk and neither will they. Radical, yes, but the only one being punished is the pervert.
    In this case the child would be helped Past what happened, put her self esteem back, children always think they were the cause of the problem. And I think in cases like this they should be sent to the best in the country, not just to counseling but proven counseling. And a system of punishment with pay back to the victim should be installed. There are plenty of jobs usually left for volunteers to do that could be done by chain gangs, give them a decent pay that goes to the victims for doing it.

    No matter what you do, the victims are never fully compensated, but if the guy had to work the rest of his life in a chain gang it's driven home every day why he is there. Castration might be a partial solution for these guys too. Now guys like these I can see putting tracking chips into and monitoring them 24/7. I don't know WHY they don't think to do that rather than just letting felons loose on the public. They want law abiding citizens to submit to ID chips eventually, that's ignorant, if I'm obeying the law, I don't need monitoring. But a felon, that's a possibility and would safeguard the rest of the people and free up prison space. Not all felons, but some could possibility be done this way.

    They gave up the right to citizen privileges when they commited a crime against another citizen.

    JMO,

    Lady Mod

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    I agree. The microchip is an excellent idea! I was thinking about it the other day, when an elderly man wandered away from a senior's home and disappeared. Thankfully they found him at the LRT station the next day. I think "chipping" people who have alzheimer's or similar conditions should be an option for families. Funny that we chip our pets and our vehicles so that they aren't lost or stolen. We could easily keep track of convicts the same way. OK, you've got my vote!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    554

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    I raised cattle for many years; I have a sweet little tool that came with rubber bands. It stretches them to about the size of my fist, the bull’s tentacles are slipped through and then the tool is removed. After a couple of weeks the scrotum falls off and the bull no longer has any sex drive. He can’t get it hard and has no desire to.

    I still have lots of rubber bands left for it, lets get this guy pass out drunk after his release and he will awaken a new man. I once worked with a guy that was castrated when he was sixteen years old and he assured me it worked, zero sex drive, zero.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    622

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Quote Originally Posted by Worried_in_the_USA
    I raised cattle for many years; I have a sweet little tool that came with rubber bands. It stretches them to about the size of my fist, the bull’s tentacles are slipped through and then the tool is removed. After a couple of weeks the scrotum falls off and the bull no longer has any sex drive. He can’t get it hard and has no desire to.

    I still have lots of rubber bands left for it, lets get this guy pass out drunk after his release and he will awaken a new man. I once worked with a guy that was castrated when he was sixteen years old and he assured me it worked, zero sex drive, zero.
    Hmmmm. That explains alot.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: 60 DAYS For CHILD RAPE

    Hey Worried - You are making ME very worried - there are some thoughts you really shouldn't "share", thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. End of Days?! What to do!?
    By ohein56 in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM
  2. Why Is the Media Glossing Over Child Rape?
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
  3. Lefties normalize family child rape.
    By danrush1966 in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 10:21 AM
  4. Shock--MORE Child Rape for Liberal Hero polanski
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 02:08 AM
  5. Negro Blames Child Rape Arrest On "Racism"
    By BVR USA Liaison in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
000, action, actions, add, administration, admit, admitted, advance, ain, alien, alive, allowed, amazing, animal, announced, another, answer, apologize, apology, appears, arizona, art, ation, authority, based, bat, battery, beating, bed, bet, better, biblical, bit, blame, blood, body, brain, breaking, breaks, brilliant, bring, broke, buy, cable, calls, canadian, cannot, capital, care, carefully, carry, case, catch, cattle, caught, cell, center, cer, chain, chan, chance, channel, chicken, chickens, child, chinese, choice, citizens, claim, clark, college, coming, commit, common, completely, compound, con, condi, cost, couldn, countries, country, county, couple, court, courts, coward, crack, crime, crimes, criminals, dam, damage, damn, dan, dangerous, daughter, day, days, dea, dead, death, debating, decision, declared, deep, demand, department, description, desire, didn, differently, dig, direct, disease, disgusting, display, dna, doesn, don, dow, drop, duc, due, easily, edward, eme, ended, endorse, enemy, enter, entry, error, ethical, excellent, exo, experience, experts, explained, exposing, extended, face, facing, factor, fair, false, families, favorite, fee, feel, feels, felons, forces, forgiveness, fox, fully, fund, future, gave, generators, george, georgia, girl, global, gonna, good, google, gram, great, ground, guaranteed, guy, guys, had, hammer, hand, handed, hands, happened, hard, head, headlines, healing, heard, hell, helped, hey, high, highly, his, hit, homes, hope, html, https, huma, human, hurt, ial, ideal, ignorant, iii, ill, ime, individuals, inter, interested, ion, isn, issue, jail, judge, kicking, kill, killer, killers, kind, kinds, knew, knock, labor, land, large, last, laughing, lawmakers, lead, leads, leaving, lets, lick, life, light, liked, lis, lives, lol, long, long run, longer, loose, los, loss, lot, mad, making, man., mark, matter, mea, meaning, measure, meeting, mega, member, members, memory, mentally, mention, mercy, message, midnight, mind, molesters, monitoring, month, moral, more, morning, movies, mow, murder, need, needed, net, nigh, night, norm, north, note, november, october, only, opposite, organization, original, owes, page, par, part, pas, pass, paul, pedophiles, pen, perfectly, person, personally, piss, place, point, police, poor, popular, por, pos, post, posts, potential, ppl, prepared, price, pro, process, productive, progress, proof, prosecutor, protected, protecting, protection, prove, proved, proven, public, punished, punishment, putting, qualified, question, quick, quickly, quote, rap, rape, raped, rapist, rapists, rated, raw, rea, reaction, read, real, reality, reason, red, refused, refuses, rehabilitation, reilly, release, released, remember, removed, rent, respect, response, rest, revenge, ridiculous, ring, risk, robber, robert, robinson, room, rooms, rope, row, run, sad, safe, safety, san, scenario, scheduled, screwed, scumbag, search, secure, seem, selling, sen, send, sense, sensitive, serve, served, set, severe, sex, ship, short, shouldn, simply, site, small, solar, soo, sorry, speaking, speed, spend, spent, spineless, star, start, stated, states, station, stay, steal, stealing, step, stole, stop, store, stories, story, street, strike, style, submit, suitable, support, sweet, system, taken, talk, talking, tan, taxpayers, ted, theory, therapy, they, thinks, thought, thread, thursday, tied, time, times, title, today, tomorrow, tonight, tor, total, totally, town, track, trade, trail, treatment, tribute, trouble, une, united, united states, updates, url, usa, vic, victim, victims, view, vince, viole, violence, violent, wait, wanted, warren, watching, ways, wednesday, weed, weeks, won, wonderful, wooden, worked, working, worse, worthy, wrong, year, years, young, youth

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •