Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Author of "Bush's Brain", Put on "No Fly" List

Hello People,

Well, let the Games Begin!! :eek:

DeeDee1965

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James Moore

Branded

There are times in which it is easy to be suspicious. We can get to that feeling fairly quickly if we even pay slight attention. I've been trying to get over this odd emotion for at least a year. I can't find any rationale for letting it go, though I want desperately not to have these thoughts.

This week last year I was preparing for a trip to Ohio to conduct interviews and research for a new book I was writing. My airline tickets had been purchased on line and the morning of departure I went to the Internet to print out my boarding pass. I got a message that said, "Not Allowed." Several subsequent tries failed. Surely, I thought, it's just a glitch within the airline's servers or software.

I made it a point to arrive very early at the airport. My reservation was confirmed before I left home. I went to the electronic kiosk and punched in my confirmation number to print out my boarding pass and luggage tags. Another error message appeared, "Please see agent."

I did. She took my Texas driver's license and punched in the relevant information to her computer system.

"I'm sorry, sir," she said. "There seems to be a problem. You've been placed on the No Fly Watch List."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm afraid there isn't much more that I can tell you," she explained. "It's just the list that's maintained by TSA to check for people who might have terrorist connections."

"You're serious?"

"I'm afraid so, sir. Here's an 800 number in Washington. You need to call them before I can clear you for the flight."

Exasperated, I dialed the number from my cell, determined to clear up what I was sure was a clerical error. The woman who answered offered me no more information than the ticket agent.

"Mam, I'd like to know how I got on the No Fly Watch List."

"I'm not really authorized to tell you that, sir," she explained after taking down my social security and Texas driver's license numbers.

"What can you tell me?"

"All I can tell you is that there is something in your background that in some way is similar to someone they are looking for."

"Well, let me get this straight then," I said. "Our government is looking for a guy who may have a mundane Anglo name, who pays tens of thousands of dollars every year in taxes, has never been arrested or even late on a credit card payment, is more uninteresting than a Tupperware party, and cries after the first two notes of the national anthem? We need to find this guy. He sounds dangerous to me."

"I'm sorry, sir, I've already told you everything I can."

"Oh, wait," I said. "One last thing: this guy they are looking for? Did he write books critical of the Bush administration, too?"

I have been on the No Fly Watch List for a year. I will never be told the official reason. No one ever is. You cannot sue to get the information. Nothing I have done has moved me any closer to getting off the list. There were 35,000 Americans in that database last year. According to a European government that screens hundreds of thousands of American travelers every year, the list they have been given to work from has since grown to 80,000.

My friends tell me it is just more government incompetence. A tech buddy said there's no one in government smart enough to write a search algorithm that will find actual terrorists, so they end up with authors of books criticizing the Bush White House. I have no idea what's going on.

I suppose I should think of it as a minor sacrifice to help keep my country safe. Not being able to print out boarding passes in advance and having to get to the airport three hours early for every flight is hardly an imposition compared to what Americans are enduring in Iraq. I can force myself to get used to all that extra attention from the guy with the wand whenever I walk through the electronic arches. I'm just doing my patriotic duty.

Of course, there's always the chance that the No Fly Watch List is one of many enemies lists maintained by the Bush White House. If that's the case, I am happy to be on that list. I am in good company with people who expect more out of their president and their government.

Hell, maybe I'll start thinking of it as an honor roll.

Branded, by James Moore
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Rmember, this could be any American citizen. Be afraid, be very afraid. I am. :(

Re: Author of "Bush's Brain", Put on "No Fly" List

The Bush admin defenders will see nothing wrong with this Dee Dee. Amazing isn't it! Meanwhile this administration keeps chipping away at individual rights bit by bit until one day we wake up and wonder what happened. You are quite correct in your observation about being afraid.

Hi Bairdi,

I am hoping, an example of how the Bush administrations, lack of ethics, inability to follow the Constitution, and mad desire to garner imperial power, will affect them. The next three years are going to be very interesting.

All the talk about Pres. Bush's being "a righteous man, beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men"; are going to learn very soon, who are the 'righteous' and who are the *evil men*.

DeeDee1965

I love the title of the thread DeeDee. It cracks me up. I read it incorrectly the first time and thought that someone was the author of Bush's brain. All I could think was,

"Someone actually authored his brain?"

See what happens when you only sleep 3 hours the night before? Ugh, I spent too much time on the MLM forum lastnight, and now I'm paying for it, lol.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Senator Ted Kennedy made the "No Fly" list along with Rep. John Lewis. I read that in the article about the 4 year old who was placed on the list.

Now while the 4 year old should have gotten an easy pass on to the plane....Senator Kennedy probably deserves to be on the list :D

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    Senator Ted Kennedy made the "No Fly" list along with Rep. John Lewis. I read that in the article about the 4 year old who was placed on the list.

Now while the 4 year old should have gotten an easy pass on to the plane....Senator Kennedy probably deserves to be on the list :D
    Hi RegulationE,

While it might be "funny" Senator Kennedy was on a "no fly" list, and should probably remain on the list. However do you think it is worth a "grin," if an author of a book criticizing Pres. Bush and Karl Rove, is put on said list?

I am not trying to be nasty or rude, I just think this is the kind of situation that affects all Americans. The many threads on this board, about subjects we cannot really do anything about, might make for interesting reading, but something that could potentially intrude on the free movement of American citizens, seems to need serious consideration.

I do not know, maybe I am just being paranoid. The thought of an author, in a free market economy; a critic of the Bush administration, who is protected by the First Amendment; an American traveling on business, protected by Article 4 section 2; can be prevented from getting on a commercial, domestic flight, makes me very nervous. I used to tease a former poster on this board who insisted this board and the Internet in general was being "monitored" by the "government." Well, after reading the story of James Moore, I have begun to rethink the validity of the argument.

I am not saying, the government is "spying" on this board, but the many webblogs, websites, the magazines, books, radio and TV programs, that criticize the government, the adding of James Moore to the "No Fly" list, smacks of :eek: repression.

I have mentioned to you in another thread, about the "slippery slope," I think we are on that slope, and gaining momentum.

So RegulationE, I am extending the hand of renewed civility. Tell me what you really think about this topic. :)

DeeDee1965

Came across this on MSNBC today. A little more momentum on that slippery slope DeeDee.
    Homeland Security opening private mail
    Retired professor confused, angered when letter from abroad is opened
    By Brock N. Meeks
    Chief Washington correspondent
    MSNBC
    Updated: 5:55 p.m. ET Jan. 6, 2006

WASHINGTON - In the 50 years that Grant Goodman has known and corresponded with a colleague in the Philippines he never had any reason to suspect that their friendship was anything but spectacularly ordinary.

But now he believes that the relationship has somehow sparked the interest of the Department of Homeland Security and led the agency to place him under surveillance.

Last month Goodman, an 81-year-old retired University of Kansas history professor, received a letter from his friend in the Philippines that had been opened and resealed with a strip of dark green tape bearing the words “by Border Protection” and carrying the official Homeland Security seal.

“I had no idea (Homeland Security) would open personal letters,” Goodman told MSNBC.com in a phone interview. “That’s why I alerted the media. I thought it should be known publicly that this is going on,” he said. Goodman originally showed the letter to his own local newspaper, the Kansas-based Lawrence Journal-World.

“I was shocked and there was a certain degree of disbelief in the beginning,” Goodman said when he noticed the letter had been tampered with, adding that he felt his privacy had been invaded. “I think I must be under some kind of surveillance.”

Goodman is no stranger to mail snooping; as an officer during World War II he was responsible for reading all outgoing mail of the men in his command and censoring any passages that might provide clues as to his unit’s position. “But we didn’t do it as clumsily as they’ve done it, I can tell you that,” Goodman noted, with no small amount of irony in his voice. “Isn’t it funny that this doesn’t appear to be any kind of surreptitious effort here,” he said.

The letter comes from a retired Filipino history professor; Goodman declined to identify her. And although the Philippines is on the U.S. government’s radar screen as a potential spawning ground for Muslim-related terrorism, Goodman said his friend is a devout Catholic and not given to supporting such causes.

A spokesman for the Customs and Border Protection division said he couldn’t speak directly to Goodman’s case but acknowledged that the agency can, will and does open mail coming to U.S. citizens that originates from a foreign country whenever it’s deemed necessary.

“All mail originating outside the United States Customs territory that is to be delivered inside the U.S. Customs territory is subject to Customs examination,” says the CBP Web site. That includes personal correspondence. “All mail means ‘all mail,’” said John Mohan, a CBP spokesman, emphasizing the point.

“This process isn’t something we’re trying to hide,” Mohan said, noting the wording on the agency’s Web site. “We’ve had this authority since before the Department of Homeland Security was created,” Mohan said.

However, Mohan declined to outline what criteria are used to determine when a piece of personal correspondence should be opened, but said, “obviously it’s a security-related criteria.”

Mohan also declined to say how often or in what volume CBP might be opening mail. “All I can really say is that Customs and Border Protection does undertake [opening mail] when it is determined to be necessary,” he said.
    © 2006 MSNBC Interactive

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10740935/

Thank you Bairdi,

Yikes!!!

Now, people for all the people who banged the table and say, "The present administration has the right do whatever is necessary to stop terrorism."

And for all the people on this board who argued that the wiretapping and spying were legal, acceptable, what do you think of this "new" development???

This is a personal letter. From history professor to another history professor in the Philippines. How is reading this letter keeping us "safe from terrorists?"

Someone please answer this question. I am eager to read an explanation of this, act of Keeping America Safe." Yes, I have read the entire article, so repeating parts of it, is not an answer. ;) Please tell me what your personal opinions are about the story. Also, do you all really think it is limited to "foreign" correspondence?

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi RegulationE,

While it might be "funny" Senator Kennedy was on a "no fly" list, and should probably remain on the list. However do you think it is worth a "grin," if an author of a book criticizing Pres. Bush and Karl Rove, is put on said list?

I am not trying to be nasty or rude, I just think this is the kind of situation that affects all Americans. The many threads on this board, about subjects we cannot really do anything about, might make for interesting reading, but something that could potentially intrude on the free movement of American citizens, seems to need serious consideration.

I do not know, maybe I am just being paranoid. The thought of an author, in a free market economy; a critic of the Bush administration, who is protected by the First Amendment; an American traveling on business, protected by Article 4 section 2; can be prevented from getting on a commercial, domestic flight, makes me very nervous. I used to tease a former poster on this board who insisted this board and the Internet in general was being "monitored" by the "government." Well, after reading the story of James Moore, I have begun to rethink the validity of the argument.

I am not saying, the government is "spying" on this board, but the many webblogs, websites, the magazines, books, radio and TV programs, that criticize the government, the adding of James Moore to the "No Fly" list, smacks of :eek: repression.

I have mentioned to you in another thread, about the "slippery slope," I think we are on that slope, and gaining momentum.

So RegulationE, I am extending the hand of renewed civility. Tell me what you really think about this topic. :)

DeeDee1965

Several years ago I was on my way to see a friend in Ohio and had a 2 hour layover in Dallas airport. Being the lunch hour I stopped in one of the small restaurants and ordered some lunch and ice water. They brought me my meal with a regular dinner fork and spoon but a plastic knife like those you find in grocery stores for picnicware and my water came in a goblet. Apparently, butter knives were dangerous items to have after 9/11, but glass long stemmed goblets that could be broken were perfectly safe.

I found the whole affair amusing since I was sitting in a restaurant, the wall next to the booth was one of those fake rock walls and I have a goblet of water. I finished eating and called my friend (using a calling card) from one of the booths in the waiting area of the airport to kill some time. So, I'm telling her about this lunch and laughing because I tell her that the whole thing was rather ridiculous, I get a plastic knife and a glass goblet, if I was a terrorist I could just break the goblet against the wall and use it for a weapon. This is no lie, less than 5 minutes later a national guardsman, complete with automatic weapon does a pass through the phone area looking around (I'm the only person in the area) and he looks a little lost so I ask if I can help him and he tells me that he just got orders to check that area out.

It gets better.

On my return trip home from Ohio a week later, (same airline) my bags are given a full search at the Ohio airport. This is supposed to be random right, they don't profile you or anything like that. I am then also one of the people hand picked to have to be wanded before getting on the plane. A plane which lands safe and sound by the way in Dallas. And then on the last leg from Dallas to where I live, (same airline) I am again just randomly selected out of all the passengers to be have my hand bags searched again and wanded before getting on the plane. Now this is getting to be more than just a little coincidental in my estimation.

The attendant is saying, "I'm sorry maam it's just a random check."

I say, "Ya right, that's what I was told in Ohio a couple of hours ago."

Now knitting is not allowed on planes still so I listen to audio tapes to pass the time and when they come to the case in my bag they ask me what they are. I look the lady dead in the eye and lowering my voice I tell her "Those are my Mission Impossible tapes, they self destruct 30 seconds after I listen to them." They decided to let me on the plane a few minutes latter.

Moral of story, don't call your friends with a calling card in an airport and tell a funny story about plastic knives and glass water goblets and mention terrorist in the same story. It creates havoc for you on the return trip home. LOL.

Lady Mod

P.S. I'm blonde, middle aged and definitely white. I surely MUST look the terrorist type. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by sojustask; 01-07-2006 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi RegulationE,

|snip|

DeeDee1965
    DeeDee,

Snipped out the meat of the quote, anyone wanting to know whats in it scroll up.

First off, I will call you a little paranoid but not overly paranoid. But then are you really paranoid if someone really is watching you? (and yes I thought this comment was funny...not mean and nasty)

With that said, I think you missed the point of my post.

When you are out to "prove something exists", in this case the government trying to quiet people who oppose the administration, you can look at an Anti-Bush auther as being a target of the administration when in fact they are simply another vicitm of the system.

While the "No Fly" list is a good idea and is only a little more then what the government has been doing for years (as in at least the past 30), they may be going a bit overboard. I was pointing out how overboard they where going when a 4 year old and two US Congressmen make the list. It is not an effort to shut up an author they don't like, in my opinion, but rather a program that has so many problems it is probably not very useful anyway.

For at least the past 30 years, the airlines and airport security have had a "point system" to determine the probability a passanger is dangerous. The PC term for it is "Profiling".

You would be deemed dangerous by virture of

Country of Origin
    One way or round trip ticket
    Age of Passanger
    Paid cash for ticket same day
    Did you use your Credit Card
    How much baggage you have
    and many other items.

But maybe you are right, the administration is making it hard for people how speak out about them to fly. But no matter how you look at it, Ted Kennedy being on the list is in fact funny.
    Last edited by RegulationE; 01-07-2006 at 03:05 AM.

Has anyone read the "Bush-Bashing" Book?

Maybe the author was writing deragatory, implicative, threatening things about the Commander in Chief. dchristie and dante' and their next personality should be on the "no-fly" list too! :D :D :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Raider

Maybe the author was writing deragatory, implicative, threatening things about the Commander in Chief. dchristie and dante' and their next personality should be on the "no-fly" list too! :D :D :rolleyes:
    To put him on a "no-fly" list simply because he exercises his Constitutional rights to freedom of speech (or freedom of the press, however you care to look at it) is also denying him is Constitutional Rights as an American.

Lady Mod

Lady Mod,

All I can say is, OH MY GOD!! :eek:

It is funny, if they were "listening " to your conversation, they might have heard "exactly" what you said, and realized the meaning of your words. Now that I think of it, if they are going to listen, they should learn to understand basic English. This is what happens when critical thinking is not taught in the schools. :p LOL

Seriously, if that kind of thing happens to me (I am an African-American woman), it might become more of a "situation." I say "might," I cannot be sure of that, I just do not want to have the hassle. I was born here, I should not be afraid, paranoid, or uncomfortable about traveling in my own country. I just do not like the thought of it. I am law-abiding, I pay my taxes, and I mind my own business. Having to explain myself, while traveling within the US, would irritate the heck out of me.

I know the world has changed, but for many citizens in this country, things have just been kicked up another notch. :rolleyes:

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by Raider

Greetings Mr. Raider,

I have to concur with the reply by Lady Mod. Someone being singled out for what they write, and/or say, is sooooo against the Constitution, it boggles the mind. Do you really think it is OK?

If James Moore was writing threatening things about the President, the book would not have been published. And, Mr. Moore would be spending a lot of quiet time with the Secret Service.

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    DeeDee,

Snipped out the meat of the quote, anyone wanting to know whats in it scroll up.

First off, I will call you a little paranoid but not overly paranoid. But then are you really paranoid if someone really is watching you? (and yes I thought this comment was funny...not mean and nasty)

With that said, I think you missed the point of my post.

When you are out to "prove something exists", in this case the government trying to quiet people who oppose the administration, you can look at an Anti-Bush auther as being a target of the administration when in fact they are simply another vicitm of the system.

While the "No Fly" list is a good idea and is only a little more then what the government has been doing for years (as in at least the past 30), they may be going a bit overboard. I was pointing out how overboard they where going when a 4 year old and two US Congressmen make the list. It is not an effort to shut up an author they don't like, in my opinion, but rather a program that has so many problems it is probably not very useful anyway.

For at least the past 30 years, the airlines and airport security have had a "point system" to determine the probability a passanger is dangerous. The PC term for it is "Profiling".

You would be deemed dangerous by virture of

Country of Origin
    One way or round trip ticket
    Age of Passanger
    Paid cash for ticket same day
    Did you use your Credit Card
    How much baggage you have
    and many other items.

But maybe you are right, the administration is making it hard for people how speak out about them to fly. But no matter how you look at it, Ted Kennedy being on the list is in fact funny.
    Thank you RegulationE.

No Fly List is a stupid concept. If one person named John Doe did something bad, then all people named John Doe are considered bad.

As for "Homeland", bad semantics. Reminds me of the Vaterland, the Rodina, and the Motherland. People only hear those terms when the Gov in charge decides to take away rights from the people.

The old South Africa came up with the concept of Homelands. They were and still are, scrubby worthless patches of land where inconveniant local populations who happened to be there first were sent to get them out of the way of the populations that came later. They got their own back, guess who opened the first casinos there?

Since when is the only remaining Global Superpower a homeland? Never.

I had to fill out the new I-9 this year. Since when should I prove that I am not an illegal? Then's there's the other "I am not a bum" form.