+ Reply to Thread

Rolecall: Bagman Abramoff's GOP Bribe Buddies

Incoming
    By William Rivers Pitt
    t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Thursday 05 January 2006

"It is not our job to seek peaceful coexistence with the Left. Our job is to remove them from power permanently."

- Jack A. Abramoff

All of official Washington is at this moment waiting with bated breath for the avalanche. Jack Abramoff, the disgraced super-lobbyist, has made a plea agreement in the massive prosecution against him and his cronies. Every talking head who has spoken on the subject has stated bluntly that the fallout from this plea deal will almost certainly result in the largest scandal to hit the capital in decades.

The questions, of course, are straightforward: Who is involved? Who took money from this guy? Who is on his pad? Most significantly, who did Abramoff name when he decided to sing to the prosecutors?

Republicans, nervous about the bad noise to come, have attempted to paint this as an equal-opportunity crime. To wit, the Democrats are into Abramoff as deeply as the GOP. The facts, however, do not bear this out. According to campaign donation information gathered by the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics, the following officeholders and candidates have received political donations from Abramoff since 2000:

Tom DeLay (R-Texas). John Ashcroft (R-Mo.). Frank A. LoBiondo (R-NJ). Eric Cantor (R-Va.). Arlen Specter (R-Pa.). John Ensign (R-Nev.). Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.). Charles H. Taylor (R-NC). Chris Cannon (R-Utah). Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa). Mark Foley (R-Fla.). Richard Pombo (R-Calif.). Christopher S. "Kit" Bond (R-Mo.). Curt Weldon (R-Pa.). Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.). Doug Ose (R-Calif.). Ernest J. Istook (R-Okla.). George R. Nethercutt Jr. (R-Wash.). Jim Bunning (R-Ky.). Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.). Tom Feeney (R-Fla.). Dan Burton (R-Ind.). Eric Cantor (R-Va.). Suzanne Terrell (R-La.). Rob Simmons (R-Conn.). Charles W. "Chip" Pickering Jr. (R-Miss.). Connie Morella (R-Md.). Gordon H. Smith (R-Ore.). James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.). James M. Talent (R-Mo.). John T. Doolittle (R-Calif.). John Thune (R-SD). Tim Hutchinson (R-Ark.). Bob Smith (R-Fla.). Bob Ney (R-Ohio). CL. "Butch" Otter (R-Idaho). Carolyn W. Grant (R-NC). Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.). Elizabeth Dole (R-NC). Heather Wilson (R-NM). J. Randy Forbes (R-Va.). Jack Kingston (R-Ga.). James V. Hansen (R-Utah). John Cornyn (R-Texas). Kimo Kaloi (R-Hawaii). Marilyn Musgrave (R-Colo.). Mike Ferguson (R-NJ). Mike Simpson (R-Idaho). Ralph Regula (R-Ohio). Ric Keller (R-Fla.). Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.). Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). Thad Cochran (R-Miss.). Dave Camp (R-Mich.). Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.). Tom Young (R-Ala.). Bill Janklow (R-SD). Craig Thomas (R-Wyo.). Spencer Abraham (R-Mich.). William L. Gormley (R-NJ). Bill McCollum (R-Fla.). Bill Redmond (R-NM). Bob Riley (R-Ala.). Claude B. Hutchison Jr. (R-Calif.). Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.). Francis E. Flotron (R-Mo.). George Allen (R-Va.). Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.). Walter B. Jones Jr. (R-NC). Paul Ryan (R-Wis.). Bob Smith (R-Fla.). Joe Pitts (R-PA). Charles H. Taylor (R-NC). Bob Ehrlich (R-Md.). Charles R. Gerow (R-Pa.). Ed Royce (R-Calif.). Elia Vincent Pirozzi (R-Calif.). Jerry Weller (R-Ill.). Mark Emerson (R-Utah). Tom Davis (R-Va.). Van Hilleary (R-Tenn.).

Also:

Americans for a Republican Majority, Leadership PAC of Tom DeLay (R-Texas). Republican Majority Fund, Leadership PAC of Don Nickles (R-Okla.). Keep Our Majority PAC, Leadership PAC of Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.). Leadership PAC, Leadership PAC of Michael G. Oxley (R-Ohio). Rely on Your Beliefs, Leadership PAC of Roy Blunt (R-Mo.). Friends of the Big Sky, Leadership PAC of Conrad Burns (R-Mont.). Senate Victory Fund, Leadership PAC of Thad Cochran (R-Miss.). American Liberty PAC, Leadership PAC of Bob Ney (R-Ohio). Battle Born PAC, Leadership PAC of John Ensign (R-Nev.). Fund for a Free Market America, Leadership PAC of Phil Crane (R-Ill.). Team PAC, Leadership PAC of J.D. Hayworth (R-Ariz.). The Republican Party of New Jersey.

Also:

George W. Bush (R).

Notice anything similar? Each and every name listed, each and every PAC, has an (R) after it. The Center for Responsive Politics does not have one Democrat - not one - listed as having received a donation from Jack Abramoff. The amounts given to the Republicans listed above amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In extremis, Republicans have taken to bandying about the name of Byron Dorgan, Democratic Senator from North Dakota, as evidence that this Abramoff thing is a two-party scandal. Dorgan received $67,000 from Native American tribes represented by Abramoff - not from Abramoff himself - and has since returned the money. Furthermore, he got the money before the tribes had any dealings with Abramoff. In short, Dorgan's so-called involvement in the matter is a red herring.

As for Mr. Bush, he has given the Abramoff money he received to charity, according to the White House. DNC Chairman Howard Dean pegged the total amount Bush received from Abramoff at $100,000. Abramoff attended three Hannukah receptions at the Bush White House - Hannukah? What happened to fighting the War on Christmas? - but Bush denies knowing him. "The president does not know him and does not recall meeting him," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan. "It is possible that he could have met him at a holiday reception or some other widely attended event."

Heh. Sounds like what we heard from Bush about Kenny "Boy" Lay.

It is going to be an interesting year.

Re: Rolecall: Bagman Abramoff's GOP Bribe Buddies

It would appear that you forgot to include the Democrats that have been listed as also receiving "contributions" from Abramoff's. Yesterday's Wall Street Journal, I believe, provides the names of some.

I am sure this is just an oversight on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA4
    It would appear that you forgot to include the Democrats that have been listed as also receiving "contributions" from Abramoff's. Yesterday's Wall Street Journal, I believe, provides the names of some.

I am sure this is just an oversight on your part.
    Really? And I guess it's just an "oversight" on your part as well, or you would have listed them. Maybe it's really because legitimate campaign contributions are not necessarily bribes. There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    Really? And I guess it's just an "oversight" on your part as well, or you would have listed them. Maybe it's really because legitimate campaign contributions are not necessarily bribes. There's a difference.

Didn't list them because I don't have the Journal in front of me, nor do I care.

Washington is full of convicted criminals, soon to be convicted criminals and potential criminals.

I just like the fact that you chose which facts you present, but get all other the other side when they do the same.

I have sworn off posting on the political threads because I am convienced that some of you people are just trying to stir up the other side. There is honestly no way that they could be as stupid in person as they appear on these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    Re: Rolecall: Bagman Abramoff's DNC Bribe Buddies
    45 Democrats (5 not listed) and 91 Republicans (PLUS George Bush). It was an equal opportunity crime but I guess it was more equal for Repugs than Dems?

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 01-07-2006 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    45 Democrats and 91 Republicans. It was an equal opportunity crime but I guess it was more equal for Repugs than Dems?

Lady Mod
    I think the list of 45 are senate only. This list doesn't incorporate the house side. I noticed on dchristies list, alot of those on his list were out of politics. (has beens)

'Friends' of Jack Abramoff
    List of who may be implicated in scandal could be extensive
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10737300/

That the Bush White House would even want the media focusing on how it is doing in Iraq perhaps a sign of just how much it does not want anyone talking about Jack Abramoff.

Jack Abramoff has already pled guilty and many politicians, including President Bush, are rushing to return money linked to the disgraced former lobbyist. In Mr. Bush‘s case, donating $6,000 of the total of $300 million he raised in 2004 to the American Heart Association. How many Mr. Abramoff could donate to some sort of fund of his own is debatable, “The Wall Street Journal” reporting that the lobbyist has said he has information that could implicate 60 of them.

One of the names on the byline of that article, “The Wall Street Journal” reporter Brody Mullins, joined Keith Olbermann on Countdown to offer his take on who may eventually be linked to the Abramoff scandal.

KEITH OLBERMANN, HOST 'COUNTDOWN': Is there reason to believe Mr. Abramoff when he says he has information that could implicate 60 lawmakers? I mean, the number has been mentioned below 20 in some listings.

BRODY MULLINS, REPORTER, “THE WALL STREET JOURNAL”: Probably not. I mean, that‘s Jack Abramoff saying that he thinks that he can implicate 60 members, the idea that he‘s trying to get his jail term down as low as possible from the beginning of 60 to 70 years, he‘s got it down to 10 years. I think the idea is that if he can talk a big game about how he can bring down a lot of members of Congress and provide that information to the Justice Department, that he may be able to get an even lighter sentence.

OLBERMANN: Even the casual political observer might note that lobbyists paying for trips and for meals, for tickets to events, to make campaign contributions, that happens more or less constantly, maybe 24 hours a day, in Washington. What is it that makes the Abramoff case noteworthy and different?

MULLINS: Right. Mr. Abramoff, Jack Abramoff, did a lot of really what most lobbyists do in D.C., he just did it, everything to an extreme. Instead of taking someone to play golf at Congressional Country Club around here in D.C., he would bring them to Scotland. Instead of giving a few thousand dollars in donations, he would recruit all of his clients and of his friends to give $100,000 in donations to someone.

So the Justice Department is really going after these extreme cases, not bringing someone to a Redskins game out here at FedEx field, but flying somebody to the Super Bowl.

OLBERMANN: Are we looking at something along the lines of Abscam here, at least the dimension of it? Does the scale of this seem to compare to the scale of that?

MULLINS: It could be about the same size, maybe a little smaller, maybe a little bigger. It looks like the Justice Department is probably going after two to four, maybe six, members of Congress, perhaps in total two dozen people, including staffers.

But I don‘t know if they‘re going to send staffers to jail. They just want staffers to flip on their former bosses in order to nail some members.

OLBERMANN: And speaking of that, the members, is this, in fact, going to wind up being bipartisan, the prosecutions? I mean, there are many Democrats who also have seemed to have been on Abramoff‘s money-dispensing list. Does it reflect equally poorly on both sides of the political aisle?

MULLINS: There‘s no doubt that this is a Republican scandal. Politically, Democrats may have a little more difficulty saying that Congress was corrupt if they were also taking these trips, and their staffers have been hired by Jack Abramoff. But at the end of the day, this is a Republican scandal.

OLBERMANN: The race to return funds from him, or to donate them to charity, our show “HARDBALL” was running a crawl of the returns earlier today.

MULLINS: right.

OLBERMANN: And it looked like a list of donations to a local telethon or school closings during a snowstorm. Behind the comedic aspect of that, what is this, what is the race to get rid of the cash all about?

MULLINS: Well, it‘s fascinating. Members are giving back campaign contributions today faster than USC was giving back fourth-quarter leads yesterday. But it seems like people are trying to distance themselves. No one wants to be tarred by Abramoff. More than 200 lawmakers have gotten money from him, and now they‘re all trying to give it back, to act like they never knew the guy.

OLBERMANN: And the last question has to be this—what seems like a piece of trivia, but everyone has commented on it. Is there any explanation regarding the big black hat that he wore in Washington Tuesday, and the baseball cap that he wore in Florida yesterday?

MULLINS: It‘s already next year‘s best Halloween costume.

OLBERMANN: Yes.

MULLINS: It‘s just a few months too early.

OLBERMANN: It‘s a little like Boris Badinov from the cartoons.

Watch 'Countdown' each weeknight at 8 p.m. ET

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

Well as long as we draw the line between a Redskins game and the Superbowl, I guess then everythings alright. :confused:

Abramoff probably spent more on people he liked personally, BFD!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    Well as long as we draw the line between a Redskins game and the Superbowl, I guess then everythings alright. :confused:

Abramoff probably spent more on people he liked personally, BFD!
    I was agreeing with you, it's just that Republicans outnumbered the Dems 2-1, lol. Raider, they are ALL crooks, it really doesn't matter who has the highest talley, they all took part. Of course if they got rid of all of them we would have 45 seats up for grabs from the Dems, 91 seats up for grabs from the Republicans AND one Presidential vacancy as well.

One can only hope. :D

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    45 Democrats (5 not listed) and 91 Republicans (PLUS George Bush). It was an equal opportunity crime but I guess it was more equal for Repugs than Dems?

Lady Mod
    That little list of Dems is simply another transparent and ludicrous attempt by fascist maggots to deflect attention from their monumental corruption by waving their dirty fingers at Democrats.

They will try anything to confuse and conflate legitimate campaign contributions made to Democratic candidates with the outright unlawful quid-pro-quo bribes made to GOP criminals.

Unfortunately for them, US Attorneys are quite able to make a facile distinction between the two.
    Last edited by dante; 01-07-2006 at 03:50 AM.