+ Reply to Thread

Whether it is Scam or not?

I have received a mail which i am reproducing here after. Kindly let me know if this is a genuine lottery result. [/FONT] [/SIZE]

"LOTTERY PROMOTION
    Customer Service
    17-19 Cole Street,
    baines Middlesex TW18 4TP
    United Kingdom.
    Ref: _______________
    Batch: Batch: ____________
    http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/pl...lts/results.do

WINNING NOTIFICATION:
    We are pleased to inform you of the announcement today 7th December,2005 of winners of the

International Prime Lottery promotion . You /your company's e-mail address, attached to

ticket number 5368/02,with serial number 56475600545188 drew the Winning numbers

19-6-26-17-35-7, and consequently won in category C (third category).You have therefore

been approved for a lump sum pay of US$2.500.000.00 in cash credited to file REF NO. REF:

_________. This is from total prize money of US$15,000,000.00 shared among the

six(6)international winners in the category C. All participants were selected through a

computer ballot system drawn from 30,000 names from Australia, New Zea land,America,Asia,

Europe,USA and North America as part our International Promotions Program, which is

conducted annually.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Your fund is now deposited with a Finance and Security House and insured in your name. Due

to the mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep this award strictly from

public notice until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to your account.

This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming. We hope with a part of you

prize, you will participate in our end of year mega/ high stakes US$1.3 billion

International lotto.To begin your claim, please contact your claims officer immediately:
    BARRISTER DESMOND HILLS
    Email:[email protected]

Provide him with the information below:
    1.Name:........................................... ...
    2.Address:state/city/code:............................
    3.Marital Status:.....................................
    4.Occupation:..................................... .....
    5.Age:............................................ .....
    6.Sex:............................................ .....
    7.Nationality:.................................... .....
    8.Country Of Residence:................................
    9.Telephone Number:...................................
    10.Fax Number:.......................................
    11.Draw Number above:.................................
    12.company/brief description:.........................
    13.Annual Income:.....................................
    For due processing and remittance of your prize money to a designated account of your

choice. Remember, you must contact your claims officer not later than 2 (two) weeks after

this date, all funds will be returned as unclaimed.All correspondences to BARRISTER DESMOND

HILLS, by email,should have this email sent along with it and also, your email address to

which this email is sent, should be clearly and boldly written in your response.
    NOTE: In order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications, please remember to quote your

reference number in every one of your correspondences with your officer. Furthermore,

should there be any change of your address, do inform your claims officer as soon as

possible.
    Note:Anybody under the age of 18! is automatically disqualified..Congratulations again from

all our staff and thank you for being part of our promotions program.
    Yours Sincerely,
    SIR H.J.LEEDS
    The Director Promotions,
    Prime Lottery International."

Re: Whether it is Scam or not?

You cannot win any lottery if you did not purchase a lottery ticket. Therefore, if you did not purchase a ticket for this lottery then you did not win and it is a scam.
    As a general rule lotteries do not seek out the winners... it is, usually, the other way around... the winners seek out the lottery company to initiate their claim.

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by PaulM; 01-01-2006 at 05:59 PM.

If you live in the grand ol' USA, you can't play in foreign lotteries, legit, or not. It's illegal. Uncle Sam says so....check out FTC.gov.

Also, doubtful that any lottery would be legit in which you did not, repeat not, buy a ticket.

Don't pass go, do NOT collect 200 dollars.....

How to check it out.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird. Wonderful E-mail client for the truly paranoid. It allows me to look at the headers. I also have Sam Spade, equally wonderful tool. It has a neat paste feature where you can dump in the headers and it will parse them out. It also gives you whosis, IP block, raw webpage where you can look at the html code itself, not to mention tracert and ping. I love it, a user can dig away and pry and pry....... Sometimes scammers are lazy and leave all sorts of clues to dig them out with.

There's about a 99.99999% that your "notification" was a scam.

I've received a bunch of those ridiculous spam emails as well. They're getting to be quite sickening. Sorry if you had you hopes up of being a new millionaire! :(
    "Life is a scam. Get over your ignorance."

It's a genuine scam.

It's one of the many variations listed on the Fraudwatch page:

Fraudwatch international lottery scams - known operatives