+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Circuit City's Return Policy

When my son received 2 of the same videogame for his Playstation II for the holidays, he opened one and we placed the other one aside. It was purchased from an elderly relative and mailed to us. It had a Circuit City price tag and another Circuit City sticker on the front. So we brought it back to our local Circuit City in Natick, Ma. We waited in line (what a LONG line...doesn't anyone keep their gifts anymore?) and we were asked for the receipt. I told the kid we did not have one - it was a gift. We needed one, he said. I pointed out the stickers and the price tag. I told him we did not want cash back - just a trade. Nope - need a receipt, he says.

Yeah. Get the manager, right? The manager wasn't helpful, but he managed to try to make me look foolish ("You know what a gift receipt is, don't 'cha?").

Look, a $50 game might be his holiday bonus, but it means nothing to me. The issue is this: Circuit City has a flawed return policy and it may very well be their downfall. This incident took place one year ago today. No one in my family has entered a Circuit City since then. I'm talking my family and my siblings, parents and a few neighbors. No one can believe such a tactic by a major retailer. The Circuit City stickers proved everything a customer needs to prove - so why essentially tell me you don't want me as a customer?

I've had great success at Best Buy when returning items. And they didn't try to insult me. In the past year, I have spent several hundred dollars on electronics and games at Best Buy, which is directly across the street from my Circuit City.

Re: Circuit City's Return Policy

so why is this circuit city's fault? Why should ar etailer "take back" and item that you have no proof that you purchased it (you could have shoplifted it). REceipts are important so that you can prove that it was a purchased item.

So why is it their fault? They have policies in place to protect them against fraud and of course to protect their customers.

So why is it their fault?

As for your "boycott" , who really cares if you dont bother to shop there based on your flawed notion that they should placate you?

^^^
    I agree
    Received Items
    Playstation 2 ($150 Check sent)
    Freeipod - Referral
    Blackberry 7290 (Paid $50-1 year contract)
    FreePSP –Referral !!
    Pollprizeusa - Free IMac G5 ($250 check)!
    MarketSurveyGroup - 42' Sony Plasma Monitor ($1000 CHECK!!)
    GadgetCity - Ipod Video 60GB (white Ew!, but FREE!)
    YOURGIFTCARDS.com - $50 Gift Card

In Progress
    InternetOpinionGroup - $1000 Visa Card (CERTS SENT!)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    When my son received 2 of the same videogame for his Playstation II for the holidays, he opened one and we placed the other one aside. It was purchased from an elderly relative and mailed to us. It had a Circuit City price tag and another Circuit City sticker on the front. So we brought it back to our local Circuit City in Natick, Ma. We waited in line (what a LONG line...doesn't anyone keep their gifts anymore?) and we were asked for the receipt. I told the kid we did not have one - it was a gift. We needed one, he said. I pointed out the stickers and the price tag. I told him we did not want cash back - just a trade. Nope - need a receipt, he says.

Yeah. Get the manager, right? The manager wasn't helpful, but he managed to try to make me look foolish ("You know what a gift receipt is, don't 'cha?").

Look, a $50 game might be his holiday bonus, but it means nothing to me. The issue is this: Circuit City has a flawed return policy and it may very well be their downfall. This incident took place one year ago today. No one in my family has entered a Circuit City since then. I'm talking my family and my siblings, parents and a few neighbors. No one can believe such a tactic by a major retailer. The Circuit City stickers proved everything a customer needs to prove - so why essentially tell me you don't want me as a customer?

I've had great success at Best Buy when returning items. And they didn't try to insult me. In the past year, I have spent several hundred dollars on electronics and games at Best Buy, which is directly across the street from my Circuit City.

You didnt have any recipt with either gift, it IF you had 2 EXACT games then it really doesnt matter which one you returned as long as you had a recipt for one of them .... IF there is no recipte then you usally get a store credit this limits/reduces the any intended fraud IF the clerks are doing their jobs.

Unfortunaly the " bad " people out there have made it difficult to impossible for the honest people to return/exchange things.

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time

I understand both of your arguments in the matter however there should be a happy medium. I have experience in retail management and in most companies the customer is always first. I had a similar problem with a $ 40.00 RAM card. I had my receipt; however I was past the 30 day policy. Now I spend about 100.00 dollars a month between computer stuff, DVDs, games, etc. Because of this I refuse to shop there anymore either. I know many people try to scam the big stores by stealing and trying to return it for cash but I had a recite and the unopened product. I also have had a much better experience with Best Buy and will continue to shop there. As for WIZYWYG comment...” As for you’re "boycott”, who really cares if you don’t bother to shop there based on your flawed notion that they should placate you?” This is the reason for this site…to get the word out. If you have not had any problems with them good for you, continue to shop there. I shopped there for year’s then one small problem with $40.00 and they lost me, hey if don’t care then send me the $40.00 and I’ll send you the RAM card. I will continue my “boycott”

^^ right there, is just being plain petty. Over $40..

But heck, for a $20 item, they happily refunded me
    But for another item, $100 i got a Credit instead
    And another $400 item, I got a full refund.

Sorry, I DO not feel sorry for those who "goes to the mat" over petty problems and situations. If you were out $1000 then I would be concerned, but $40? GMAFB.

Point being in the CASE of the OP. she had no proof that it was purchased, so CC has every right TO not refund or allow a return/exchange; for an itme that already has stipulations for retruning (computer software and video games, because of the anture of the media are restricted because the yare easily copied/bootlegged/pirated).

She / he would have done better by putting it on Ebay or selling it to a friend of her sons.
    Last edited by Wizywyg; 02-15-2006 at 02:40 AM.

It’s the point that it’s only $40.00 that pisses me off. If it’s only $40.00 why would I expect anything different for $1000.00? You are entitled to your own opinion I can respect someone enough to do that. It is petty, and I can afford to lose the $40.00, but why lose a devoted customer over it? What would you do in their shoes? If you agree with what they did you are forgoing thousands of dollars in future sales. Not a good business approach

i work at target. so i totally agree with the return policy of circuit city.
    we have a 90 day return policy(with reciept) if its over $40 and no reciept your out of luck. what happens is people buy a product somewhere else that we also sell and then return it to us with no receipt then we have to take the loss.

also just because it has the store logo doesnt mean it wasnt stolen or bought fraudently. and as far as being past the return policy"booo f***ng hoo. when you buy something you know the return policy. you know how many people get reciepts from trash can's then rip a product off from someones house or trash can and then return it? thats why the return policy is in place. i used to love working retail. no because of pain in the ass customers i loathe it and cant wait until i open my record store and have the right to refuse customers.

yes the"customer is always right" but that doesnt mean we have to kiss your ass just because you might"boycott us"

do you really think that your few dollars is going to impact a multi million dollar company? it isnt. its like trying to throw a pebble in lake in hope the lake overflows.

The customer is most definately NOT always right.

In fact, the idiots I have to contend with on a daily basis (I am a customer service associate) are usually WRONG 90% of the time.

Want to know why they wouldn't return it? Yeah, the game was un-opened, and had a CC sticker/tag on it. But, you know what? ALL of our games do. You could have easily walked into the store, went back into the gaming section, picked up a $50 game, walked up to customer service and said "I receieved this as a gift, but I don't want it. I don't have a receipt, but I want my money for it, now! It has a CC sticker on it, see!" ALL places require a receipt for returns. Why is it people are so ****nig shocked things can't be returned without one? It blows my mind.

It's a shame most customers (yourself included) are too ****ing stupid to think of things like this, let alone keep and READ all of your receipts.

Oh, by the way...Best Buy would have laughed at you, so stop that ****. You think they would care if they lose one customer over a video game? HARDLY. They are a MAJOR company. They pull in so much money, they can afford to lose customers.

I hate retail.

Listen. This is SCAM.com.
    I just got ripped off by circuit city on a return policy. Everyone understands that they are just trying to protect themselves, and the customer pays the price. We are not saying that they are in the wrong, but it will be a serious consideration next time I think about buying electronics. I doubt I will take the risk of shopping with Circuit City now that I know their policy. Thanks for letting me know about the Target policy, I'll watch out for them too.

Maybe the reason Walmart is so popular is because of their customer loyalty. Yeah I'm sure Walmart has lost some money because of their flexible policy, but it works out for them in the long run. Look at all their customers!

"What happens is people buy a product somewhere else that we also sell and then return it to us with no receipt then we have to take the loss"

Accepting a return for in store credit is not "taking a loss"! The store keeps your money and lets you get something else. Then the store sells your return to the next person who wants it. The only cost to them is paying a 7.00/hr stock clerk for 5 min of his time to put it back on the shelf. (That’s 58 cents) So, who is petty? A customer who wants a different product that he can actually use, or a corporation who sacrifices a customer for 58 cents?

The real issue here isn't Circuit City's return policy, but simple courtesy. A courteous explanation of why the company policy requires a gift receipt might have appeased turbo5150.
    "I'm really, really sorry, but we have been the victim of so many shop lifters that we have had to implement a receipt-only return policy-even for gifts."
    How hard is that? Petty people given a little bit of power and no real authority is the problem. That's why Circuit City will never be Wal-Mart. And one customer's boycott may be a drop in the bucket, but that manager will send more and more unhappy customers to Best Buy. People vote with their dollars and like all votes, one may make no difference, but together they all add up.

Do people not understand that a receipt is a proof of a legal agreement? With everything you have bought there you have accepted those terms, and then when you try and go agaisnt those terms and they dont do it, you get mad? By giving them the money you agree to the terms, so you are the jerk for tryign to go against the terms of the agreement. CIRCUIT CITY SHOULD BOYCOTT YOU!!!

Rules are there for a reason, if you go up without a receipt and they give you cash back cause it was only 40 bucks, what about the lady behind you returning something that is 500 bucks with no receipt that heard your conversation with the manager who gave in. Now the store is up against the wall.

Get over yourself, you tried breakign the rules you agreed to!

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

You know... the whole idea of letting you return something at all is completely at the stores discression. In North America there is a buyer beware policy. No company in North America has to return any item after the sale is complete (save a few states that have a 36 hour cooling period where they can cancel the transaction).

You know what? You bought it. They had a good, you traded your money for the good. You thought that was a fair transaction. End of storey.

It's not your right to return something. It is merely a courtacy that the company lends to you in the event that your not happy with your goods. So now if you can proove when you bought it and how much you paid for it, then they should be more than happy to take it back. Hey, you know what? They even give you all the proof you need in one tight little slip of paper called the receipt. Oh and if you don't want to show how much you paid for it they can do a "gift receipt". how convenient.

I've actually had quite a pleasant experience with Circuit City. Around a month ago i bought a gaming headset. I opened it, tried it on hated it cause of the way it felt. I used it for around 2 weeks then the mic broke off. I couldn't get back to the store until another 2 weeks and i got a full refund with the receipt and i even forgot to put the instruction manual back in :P. One place i've had a terrible time with is fry's electronics. I was gonna buy around $150 in games and ask if i could return it. The say that if it is opened you definitly can't get a refund but you may be able to get store credit if the manager feels like it. Since they were pc games i've had my fair share of defective games and didn't want to take the chance.

Since you work at Targ**** you must have the education of a 10th grader (if we are lucky).....target is another POS store that rips people off and sells inferior goods and does NOTHING for its customers.....their return policy is BAD and that can be attributed to all the idiots and non-educated people who work their for 5.00 dollars an hour, so what do we expect. Many people buy items and do not hang onto their receipts, they lose them, throw them away or the idiot clerk doesn;t give them one, so if an item has a tag on it from the store a person is trying to return or exchange it too, it is only "common sense and good business sense" to exchange it so that person will continue to shop there.....Hopefully you will never have a business with your attitude and you most likely will not own anything because you're just to fXXXing stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
    i work at target. so i totally agree with the return policy of circuit city.
    we have a 90 day return policy(with reciept) if its over $40 and no reciept your out of luck. what happens is people buy a product somewhere else that we also sell and then return it to us with no receipt then we have to take the loss.

also just because it has the store logo doesnt mean it wasnt stolen or bought fraudently. and as far as being past the return policy"booo f***ng hoo. when you buy something you know the return policy. you know how many people get reciepts from trash can's then rip a product off from someones house or trash can and then return it? thats why the return policy is in place. i used to love working retail. no because of pain in the ass customers i loathe it and cant wait until i open my record store and have the right to refuse customers.

yes the"customer is always right" but that doesnt mean we have to kiss your ass just because you might"boycott us"

do you really think that your few dollars is going to impact a multi million dollar company? it isnt. its like trying to throw a pebble in lake in hope the lake overflows.

Quote Originally Posted by hottpott View Post
    Listen. This is SCAM.com.
    I just got ripped off by circuit city on a return policy. Everyone understands that they are just trying to protect themselves, and the customer pays the price. We are not saying that they are in the wrong, but it will be a serious consideration next time I think about buying electronics. I doubt I will take the risk of shopping with Circuit City now that I know their policy. Thanks for letting me know about the Target policy, I'll watch out for them too.

Maybe the reason Walmart is so popular is because of their customer loyalty. Yeah I'm sure Walmart has lost some money because of their flexible policy, but it works out for them in the long run. Look at all their customers!

"What happens is people buy a product somewhere else that we also sell and then return it to us with no receipt then we have to take the loss"

Accepting a return for in store credit is not "taking a loss"! The store keeps your money and lets you get something else. Then the store sells your return to the next person who wants it. The only cost to them is paying a 7.00/hr stock clerk for 5 min of his time to put it back on the shelf. (That’s 58 cents) So, who is petty? A customer who wants a different product that he can actually use, or a corporation who sacrifices a customer for 58 cents?

Actually, I make $10.00 an hour. The lowest started pay is $8.00/h.

Secondly, stores make no money on video games, CDs, DVDs, etc (unless it's an FYI, or Suncoast type of store). We lose money on those items when they are on sale, actually.

Thirdly, I don't care where anyone shops. I'm a college student with no intentions on working a **** retail job the rest of my life. Go on and shop at Best Buy or Target or Wal-mart (support a place that hires the mental disabled to work for $5.75 an hour---real nice!) It won't bother me, I assure you.

If people are too dumb to read/keep their reciepts, they do not deserve any type of "special treatment". End of discussion.