+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Those Terrible Troops and Baby Nora

I have not found the link yet, but I just saw and interesting story on CNN's Headline News.

US Troops doing routine sweeps of civilian residences looking for insurgents entered one home and the family in the home brought out "Baby Nora" to show them.

This caught my attention and I was surprised by what the story was about.

Baby Nora is a 3 month old baby who was born with spina bifida. Iraqi doctors had given the new born about 45 days to live. When the American Troops came into the residence, the family asked them for help.

Imagine asking these troops for help, after all aren't we told they are terrorizing Famlies? Anyway, the troops immediately took the baby and her family to see the Military Doctors and they do not agree with the Iraqi Doctors death sentence for the baby.

Baby Nora is now one her way to the US for life saving surgery. The troops that are getting such a bad name in the press are the ones who went out of their way to see to it that Baby Nora was given the medical attention she needs. This includes e-mailing people back home and arranging for transport and care to be given.

In my home state, we hear these stories alot. Troops making rounds run across children in need and notify the medical staff, then the troops arrange to have the child and family transported to the States and doctors here preform the treatments. We have one of the best children's hospitals in the country here so maybe that is why we hear these stories more then they make the National News Rounds.

Re: Those Terrible Troops and Baby Nora

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    I have not found the link yet, but I just saw and interesting story on CNN's Headline News.

US Troops doing routine sweeps of civilian residences looking for insurgents entered one home and the family in the home brought out "Baby Nora" to show them.

This caught my attention and I was surprised by what the story was about.

Baby Nora is a 3 month old baby who was born with spina bifida. Iraqi doctors had given the new born about 45 days to live. When the American Troops came into the residence, the family asked them for help.

Imagine asking these troops for help, after all aren't we told they are terrorizing Famlies? Anyway, the troops immediately took the baby and her family to see the Military Doctors and they do not agree with the Iraqi Doctors death sentence for the baby.

Baby Nora is now one her way to the US for life saving surgery. The troops that are getting such a bad name in the press are the ones who went out of their way to see to it that Baby Nora was given the medical attention she needs. This includes e-mailing people back home and arranging for transport and care to be given.

In my home state, we hear these stories alot. Troops making rounds run across children in need and notify the medical staff, then the troops arrange to have the child and family transported to the States and doctors here preform the treatments. We have one of the best children's hospitals in the country here so maybe that is why we hear these stories more then they make the National News Rounds.
    Link: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1448088

That was really nice of the troops wasn't it?

And why do you keep exaggerating and bringing back up the "terrorizing" women and children issue that is on another thread? Isn't it enough that it's being discussed to death on one thread already?

I noticed that it's the Right wing on this forum who continue to bring up the issue and not the left. Both threads being started by right wingers. Did you catch that coincidence? Two threads now, where only one existed before, where a Rightwinger took what could have been just a "feel good" about what the troops do story and made it into a "see, the Dems lied about the soldiers, they aren't terrorizing children" statement. Irregardless of the fact that some soldiers somewhere are indeed terrorizing little children (whether intentionally or not) in the middle of the night.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 01-01-2006 at 12:44 AM.

We are trying to balance the relentless hatred that the left has, on this board and elsewhere, for our heroic servicemen and -women. The sheer volume of flat-out lies that have been posted about these heroes makes it impossible to ever catch up, if only because we prefer to post actual facts.

Yeah..That's a nice little story. It made me feel warm and fuzzy all over. It's designed to divert our attention from the pointless carnage for a few days during Christmas, of course. I wonder how much it cost US taxpayers to stage their little drama. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Link: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1448088

That was really nice of the troops wasn't it?

And why do you keep exaggerating and bringing back up the "terrorizing" women and children issue that is on another thread? Isn't it enough that it's being discussed to death on one thread already?

I noticed that it's the Right wing on this forum who continue to bring up the issue and not the left. Both threads being started by right wingers. Did you catch that coincidence? Two threads now, where only one existed before, where a Rightwinger took what could have been just a "feel good" about what the troops do story and made it into a "see, the Dems lied about the soldiers, they aren't terrorizing children" statement. Irregardless of the fact that some soldiers somewhere are indeed terrorizing little children (whether intentionally or not) in the middle of the night.

Lady Mod
    LOL These right-wing crazies are just caricatures of themselves. They do provide some comic relief, though. It's funny to see how they are programmed like dogs to respond to the nice "feel good" propaganda. It's a good thing they aren't so bright or things would be even more dangerous in The World.
    Last edited by dante; 01-01-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    Yeah..That's a nice little story. It made me feel warm and fuzzy all over. It's designed to divert our attention from the pointless carnage for a few days during Christmas, of course. I wonder how much it cost US taxpayers to stage their little drama. I love it.
    It's disconcerting but I wonder if that baby would have been helped by us at all if people weren't criticizing the war. One child out of thousands that have been killed by both sides? I don't count the orphans, they may not be getting "terrorized" but they are still going to be orphans without families. And when our troops are gone, life will become vastly different for them. We didn't change life over there that much IMO and we won't know what remains permanent until we are gone and not influencing things there.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

It's disconcerting but I wonder if that baby would have been helped by us at all if people weren't criticizing the war. Lady Mod
    Listen to yourself, would you?
    You are turning into something you should be ashamed of.
    I'm done with this place. You are all sick!

Edit..Not all of you! RegE & Yirmeyahu excluded!
    Last edited by catch-22; 01-01-2006 at 04:39 PM.

I wasn't keen on Iraq. Saddam was a secular despot, and secular despots do not like nor will tolerate religious fanatics. It was one of the few places where Osama & Co. could not go. Saddam gone, and guess who's there now. Oh well.

Two elections and a third one on the way. Voter participation better then ours, to boot.

Obviously they got a goverment, and a constitution. A police force and even a militia of sorts. They even have a legislature.

Weapons of mass destruction....done deal. Saddam...gone.

We be done.

If they decide to have a civil war, they will have it, regardless.

Time to do the Nixon/Kissinger thing and declare victory and scram.

Thanks Reg-E... good story.

I'm just curious why this story can't simply be accepted at face value... one instance of a small group of soldiers doing something good for someone out of all this mess we call Iraq... & let it go at that. Instead it has to be blown into some sort of propaganda story or conspiracy item.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by catch-22
    Listen to yourself, would you?
    You are turning into something you should be ashamed of.
    I'm done with this place. You are all sick!

Edit..Not all of you! RegE & Yirmeyahu excluded!
    Why should I be ashamed? I was just wondering about the story's timing. Military people help a lot of people and it doesn't make the front page, why this particular story and why at this particular time? Other charitable groups help children in similar circumstances and they don't get front page coverage.

AND, I found the link, so what's your beef? I'm not the one who turned a nice story into a political jab at the left. Reg, for your information was the one to mention soldiers terrorizing children in the very first post. Now why was that? It wasn't exactly necessary to the value of the story.

Geez! Come back when you get a grip on reality.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 01-01-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Dante wrote
    It's funny to see how they are programmed like dogs to respond to the nice "feel good" propaganda.
    And what tree do you bark up?

I live in a state where we see and hear stories like the one I mentioned on a pretty regular basis. Maybe it is because we have one of the best Children's hospitals in the country if not the world located not 45 minutes from my house.

If find it sad that the left here on these boards, the one who think everyone should get what they want out of life and be taken care of by having things given to them (welfare) question how much of the tax paowers money was spent to help save Baby Nora.

CNN is not a conservative friendly media outlet. Yet this is the organization that I happened to be watching when this story broke. I mentioned the fact that those who speak of our troops "terrorizing" families should pay attention also to the fac that these troops where who the family turned to for help with their new born child.

Instead of the fact that "terrorizing" comments where uncalled for being recognized by the left here, it is instead turned to say well of course some of the troops may be doing good things. That is sick.

It is sick to see that the left is much more willing to believe the worst things about the troops instead of look at the good things they do and think that just possibly this is the larger majority of the troops then the ones Kerry and company call terrorists.

It does show that the left would much prefer to see the worst in our troops then the best in our troops. That it is something most Americans already are aware of unfortunately.

I live in a state where we see and hear stories like the one I mentioned on a pretty regular basis. Maybe it is because we have one of the best Children's hospitals in the country if not the world located not 45 minutes from my house.

If find it sad that the left here on these boards, the one who think everyone should get what they want out of life and be taken care of by having things given to them (welfare) question how much of the tax paowers money was spent to help save Baby Nora.

CNN is not a conservative friendly media outlet. Yet this is the organization that I happened to be watching when this story broke. I mentioned the fact that those who speak of our troops "terrorizing" families should pay attention also to the fac that these troops where who the family turned to for help with their new born child.

Instead of the fact that "terrorizing" comments where uncalled for being recognized by the left here, it is instead turned to say well of course some of the troops may be doing good things. That is sick.

It is sick to see that the left is much more willing to believe the worst things about the troops instead of look at the good things they do and think that just possibly this is the larger majority of the troops then the ones Kerry and company call terrorists.

It does show that the left would much prefer to see the worst in our troops then the best in our troops. That it is something most Americans already are aware of unfortunately.
    Reg, how can you say this? I'm pretty sure that Grim pointed out that CNN was not a bias media outlet and it's irrelevant to the story. Now, I apologize if I misunderstood your comments in your first post but I didn't see and still don't see the relevance of pointing out anything to have to do with soldiers terrorizing families along with your story about the soldiers helping the family with the child get help? Make sense of that to me.

Your post smacked of the same "let's get a jab in at the left" that pwrones did in his Iraqi story. How does having threads with such titles, such remarks showcase heroic efforts of our soldiers? It seems more like you two wanted the emphasis to be on making it a political issue and not a human issue. I thought you would be above such tactics, the voice of reason? What was reasonable about attacking Democrats in the guise of praising our soldiers?

Why can't you guys just praise the soldiers? Would that have really been so hard to do without making a political statement in the same breath? It's only your tactics that invite unsolicited attacks, not the stories themselves. And then you call the left sick when they rise to the bait?

How sick does one have to be to use soldiers and little babies as a shield to hide behind while attacking the opposite political party? Frankly, other than the lack of bloody pictures, you haven't shown any more restraint than you guys like to bash dchristie about.

Lady Mod

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Reg, how can you say this? I'm pretty sure that Grim pointed out that CNN was not a bias media outlet and it's irrelevant to the story. Now, I apologize if I misunderstood your comments in your first post but I didn't see and still don't see the relevance of pointing out anything to have to do with soldiers terrorizing families along with your story about the soldiers helping the family with the child get help? Make sense of that to me.

Your post smacked of the same "let's get a jab in at the left" that pwrones did in his Iraqi story. How does having threads with such titles, such remarks showcase heroic efforts of our soldiers? It seems more like you two wanted the emphasis to be on making it a political issue and not a human issue. I thought you would be above such tactics, the voice of reason? What was reasonable about attacking Democrats in the guise of praising our soldiers?

Why can't you guys just praise the soldiers? Would that have really been so hard to do without making a political statement in the same breath? It's only your tactics that invite unsolicited attacks, not the stories themselves. And then you call the left sick when they rise to the bait?

How sick does one have to be to use soldiers and little babies as a shield to hide behind while attacking the opposite political party? Frankly, other than the lack of bloody pictures, you haven't shown any more restraint than you guys like to bash dchristie about.

Lady Mod

Come out of the same mold... that's why!
    Staunch bias, no middle ground...

Lady Mod,

What does Grim stating CNN is not biased have anything to do with what I posted? I didn't mention anything about the bias of the media outlet, simply stated I was surprised by what the story was about.

My post was not trying to point out the great things the troops are doing or not doing. It was to point out again what terrible things the far left is doing. The left could very easily call these stories to the view of the pubilc if they wanted to, but they would rather carve out a picture of evil actions.

Kerry could easily have said that "While the US troops are finding cases of medical need as one result of the routine sweeps, it should be the IRaqis doing it." He chose to say what he said.

Comparing my post here to any one of dchristies is beyond funny. It does speak volumes of where you stand when you read these threads though. That is not a slam, attack, or bashing of you, simply acknowleding that you read from the view of the left not from the middle or the right.

Lady Mod,

What does Grim stating CNN is not biased have anything to do with what I posted? I didn't mention anything about the bias of the media outlet, simply stated I was surprised by what the story was about.

My post was not trying to point out the great things the troops are doing or not doing. It was to point out again what terrible things the far left is doing. The left could very easily call these stories to the view of the pubilc if they wanted to, but they would rather carve out a picture of evil actions.

Kerry could easily have said that "While the US troops are finding cases of medical need as one result of the routine sweeps, it should be the IRaqis doing it." He chose to say what he said.

Comparing my post here to any one of dchristies is beyond funny. It does speak volumes of where you stand when you read these threads though. That is not a slam, attack, or bashing of you, simply acknowleding that you read from the view of the left not from the middle or the right.
    Actually what I read from was that you are starting to stoop to the same levels you say you abhore. I was being about as middle ground as I could get without outright attacking you. I was merely questioning your post and angle?

So let's look at Kerry and the left, what is the point they are making when they point out the evil actions? It's pretty simple, my friend, they are focusing on what is evil in war because the agenda is to get a timeline on getting out of the war. (I.E. The war is evil, we must get out, it must stop.) To point out these stories as you say they can would not exactly be in line with the goal and message to get out of Iraq would it? It would be a distraction from their message.

It's kind of pointless to look at a dog and expect it to quack like a duck. Equally pointless would be to look at one extreme faction of either political party and expect them to send a message that isn't in line with their ultimate goals.

Oh, I pointed out what Grim said about CNN because your post mentioned that CNN was not conservative friendly.

I read the story earlier in the New York Times, before CNN ran it and the New York Times is definitely not known for conservative friendliness. However, I didn't find it all that odd, just read and enjoyed the happy ending for the family. I didn't think another thing about it as some political ploy until you started your thread.

And since you hear these kinds of stories all the time, being only 45 minutes and all from the children's hospital, how come you haven't bothered to post more about them and show the kinder side to the soldier story? You are not only in a perfect position to do so BUT you are on the Right side of the political debate as well.

You are sometimes a very curious person Reg.

Namaste'

Lady Mod