+ Reply to Thread

ROOMMATES.COM Scam!!

:mad: Roommates.com :mad: is infected by so many Scammers from UK or Africa that the site itself is primarily a SCAM. I complained numerous times per its "support" link, but get the same lame ("doin all we can") response and more scam mail daily. I get more Scam mail than real mail. Out of 10 messages, 7-8 are scammers. It can stop this, but chooses not to. It seems to be sleeping with the scammers. It must profit from all this. It should be sued! It will one day... give it time. :)
    Last edited by MrResolve; 12-31-2005 at 03:27 AM.

Re: ROOMMATES.COM Scam!!

what's the scam?

I had a woman or what I assume was a woman by what she said from England who wanted to rent a room off me. Well, she claimed to be from Catford, England. I was skeptical to think that a person would be so trusting as to be willing to send money blindly without seeing the room. Well she had someone out of Phoenix that she claimed was her financial officer send me 3 money orders that were 900 dollars each. I was told by "Erin Doty" to refund her 1100 via Western Union. To her credit it was a London based Western Union. But thank goodness for the networking of the internet and I was told of similar over paying expecting refund scams by the use of fake USPS money orders, because the money orders were really replicated well. The only detail that made it fuzzy were the Ben Franklin image that was visible in and out of light. So I took the money orders to the bank, they called up the post office, and were informed the serial numbers were fraudulent. It is also worth noting, for being from the country that gave us English, hers was really broken in the emails that I received. Her email address was wetipole at yahoo. Granted getting a new email address is extremely simple, avoid it like the plague if you come across that address. I would hate to see anyone scammed like I almost got scammed.

I still don't understand how the OP got scammed. :/

Quote Originally Posted by hagj29 View Post
    I had a woman or what I assume was a woman by what she said from England who wanted to rent a room off me. Well, she claimed to be from Catford, England. I was skeptical to think that a person would be so trusting as to be willing to send money blindly without seeing the room. Well she had someone out of Phoenix that she claimed was her financial officer send me 3 money orders that were 900 dollars each. I was told by "Erin Doty" to refund her 1100 via Western Union. To her credit it was a London based Western Union. But thank goodness for the networking of the internet and I was told of similar over paying expecting refund scams by the use of fake USPS money orders, because the money orders were really replicated well. The only detail that made it fuzzy were the Ben Franklin image that was visible in and out of light. So I took the money orders to the bank, they called up the post office, and were informed the serial numbers were fraudulent. It is also worth noting, for being from the country that gave us English, hers was really broken in the emails that I received. Her email address was wetipole at yahoo. Granted getting a new email address is extremely simple, avoid it like the plague if you come across that address. I would hate to see anyone scammed like I almost got scammed.
    Thanks, I just received an email from wetipole on roommates.com I was happy to get an email but it sounded shady, so I Google her email and came upon your post, so now I am going to ignore it.

@ Shokist
    Glad you found scam dot com before losing money to a scammer.

As you know, whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most scammers:
    1) Job/person asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job/person asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job/person asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job/person asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job/person asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs/people that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs and scammers. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

Scammers love to pretend to be in the United Kingdom and will use what looks like a UK phone number to try and add credence to that story. Any phone number that starts with +44-70 or anything similar is not based in the United Kingdom. It is from a UK based cell phone redirect service that can be answered by anyone anywhere in the world. It is a favorite service of scammers who want to pretend to be in the United Kingdom but are really half way around the world from there.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Meri Widow Thanks for the info, I will keep all that in mind.

I agree with most of post above, but the re-shipping of items isn't illegal in itself, i.e if you are a dropshipper agent a 3rd party ships the goods. Amazon for example don't post the goods from there own warehouses they email orders together with your address to a 3rd party and they send the product.
    You can contact me here via this 123contact.com form:

www.123contactform.com/contact-form-lemonpies

Quote Originally Posted by lemonknickers View Post
    I agree with most of post above, but the re-shipping of items isn't illegal in itself, i.e if you are a dropshipper agent a 3rd party ships the goods.
    True, there are legit re-shipping companies out there but they do not send out random emails asking people to collect packages at their home address and forward the electronics, credit cards, clothing and jewelry onto someone in the former USSR. I am speaking of the "work-at-home" type scam where a person receives a random email from a free email address saying that the sender is hiring for a personal assistant to collect packages delivered by UPS/FedEx/DHL, inspect them for damage, rebox everything and ship it all via overnight international shipping and address it to someone else.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Quote Originally Posted by hagj29 View Post
    Really appreciate this post! It is now January 6th, 2011 and I have come across the SAME scammer, Erin Doty from [email protected]. She replied to an ad for a room that I have up on roommates.com where she asked to move in rather quickly (within the week) and asked that I email her at her personal email. I sent a quick message back telling her I have no problem with her moving in on that date as long as she agrees to the rent as posted on the site. She then sends this long (and with very broken English) email response to me. I have posted it exactly as it was received:

Hello to you there,I just received your email response right now and i am happy to read from you too.I got your reply and it good to read your response in respect of the room.I will be glad to rent the room.What is the total move in cost?I got your phone number but i just recently had problems with my T-mobile phone network down here in Uk so you can email me here cos i check my mail everyday and i will get back to you right away..ok.Kindly get back so that we can proceed asap.

Well about me,i am 29 single female,my dad is actually from Montana, while my mum is from England.I just came down here to run a nursing assignment in England.I want to secure a room down there cos i plan to get back to states latest by JAN 15th cos i am thinking of taking another program later on by the late end of this year over there.I am friendly,easy-going and dedicated to my job.I travel a lot with my job and i enjoy meeting people.I am very friendly and quite easy to get along with.I will like to have a roomate who is understanding and also trustworthy.I am not violent and i have good habits.In my leisure hours i read and go to the cinemas too.I really look forward to my coming over .

I am willing to rent the room from jan 15th so i'll like to know more about the room.I will like to know more about the total move in cost.This is my private email address so you should keep me posted this week.Kindly let me know if you can hold the room for me cos i am planing to come back to states latest by the 15th of Jan cos they will get my flight ticket into the international airport as soon as i have finished up here.I really look forward to reading your reply too.
    Regards,
    Erin

Thanks again, because this is definitely a SCAMMER.

even I came across this email, I had given my number too, but she is not ready to call me. she say's she need nice to go around the city and she can stay with 2 guys also she dont have problem. i was wondering what is wetipole ? is it wet pole , is she pole dancer. thanks for note on this site. I will not commit to anthing now.

based on this things. I think it roomates.com is doing all this, since to open an email they ask us to upgrade $5. i think this serverd there purpose.

thanks for ppl here. or else I would be in soup.

I would just like to point out that I don't think roommates.com (the site) is a scam. I have used it in the past and found a roommate that was with me for a year and a half. It's was easy to use, had lot's of real people that offered legitimate phone numbers and email addresses. I saw a few things that looked like spam, but I get those in my yahoo email inbox as well. Does that mean I should call Yahoo a scam as well? I don't think so. Don't ruin the whole site's reputation because of a few scammers that weasled their way into that site under false pretenses. Sometimes the word scam is thrown out to much. Lets just say [be careful and cautious] about any personal service.:rotz:

PS. Just a little tip. Put in your advertisment will only accept local roomates with local phone numbers and references and your chances of getting scammed are less likely. Thats how employers weed out the unqualified applicants. Take Care:smurf:
    Last edited by dmichaels; 01-11-2011 at 12:06 PM.

sure thanks.:angel:

Quote Originally Posted by lokesh_sagi View Post
    even I came across this email, I had given my number too, but she is not ready to call me. she say's she need nice to go around the city and she can stay with 2 guys also she dont have problem. i was wondering what is wetipole ? is it wet pole , is she pole dancer. thanks for note on this site. I will not commit to anthing now.

based on this things. I think it roomates.com is doing all this, since to open an email they ask us to upgrade $5. i think this serverd there purpose.

thanks for ppl here. or else I would be in soup.
    I just got this same email from the roommates.com site. I wish I had seen this prior to responding to this person from my personal email and providing my cell...

the reply email is below and is the same language from an earlier post

Hello to you there,I just received your email response right now and i am happy to read from you too.I got your reply and it good to read your response in respect of the room.I will be glad to rent the room.What is the total move in cost?I got your phone number but i just recently had problems with my T-mobile phone network down here in Uk so you can email me here cos i check my mail everyday and i will get back to you right away..ok.Kindly get back so that we can proceed asap.

Well about me,i am 29 single female,my dad is actually from Montana, while my mum is from England.I just came down here to run a nursing assignment in England.I want to secure a room down there cos i plan to get back to states latest by Sept 22nd cos i am thinking of taking another program later on by the late end of this year over there.I am friendly,easy-going and dedicated to my job.I travel a lot with my job and i enjoy meeting people.I am very friendly and quite easy to get along with.I will like to have a roomate who is understanding and also trustworthy.I am not violent and i have good habits.In my leisure hours i read and go to the cinemas too.I really look forward to my coming over .

I am willing to rent the room from Sept 22nd so i'll like to know more about the room.I will like to know more about the total move in cost.This is my private email address so you should keep me posted this week.Kindly let me know if you can hold the room for me cos i am planing to come back to states latest by the 22nd of Sept cos they will get my flight ticket into the international airport as soon as i have finished up here.I really look forward to reading your reply too.
    Regards,
    Becky
    Last edited by mjb11; 09-10-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add on

I was almost just scammed on Roommates.com. A "girl" Trisha Manners said she was from Germany and she worked for some kind of International Programmers. She said the German government would pay her rent and I would be paid before she arrived. What tipped me off was her spelling, telling me she was a God fearing lady, that she was willing to send me $2000 sight unseen, bad spelling and punctuation, and trusting me unknown. “She” was texting and emailing, but refused to call me, saying she was busy, but she would pay me an extra $50 to take the ad down because she wanted the room so bad. This is her email [email protected], her phone number is a free Google voice 1-406-290-9939
    Last edited by doesnotlikescammers; 10-12-2014 at 01:52 PM.