+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: The War Against Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason
    I'm with you Lexx, I really get discourage when I spend time replying to a post and get no response. I'm all hepped up when I type my reply, smiling with glee over the possible counter replies and the controversy I can stir up, only to have those expectations dashed the next day to find no response and the thread has gone dormant. :confused:

Yes well i get replies ... but they are insults rather than discussions...
    I would say that is even more annoying..

BTL

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    if we/i were to DISECT what you have said,i come away with this!?(the short form!?)if god is not in it NOW,or,not in IT now,i,for 1,doubt he cares!?hehe!!and this is not UNCOMMON as it GOES!?(like the whether,weather sattelites!?)hehe!!just askin...for both see the things as they HAPPEN!/not as they COULD be!?the 1 circles the earth,while the other circles the rulers of the earth,and worships THEIR ways!?and how can we be FREED from this ILLUSION!?who will guide us ALL!?to a better LIFE!?and why is it NECESSARY!?and who says so!?and who does not!?and who's ASKIN,and who is NOT!?for a COMPLAINT could be SEEN as an UNWILLINGNESS to ASK!?hehe!!.....just askin..are you!?...

Huh? I am not sure that much needs to be dissected. Christianity is a relatively young religion. It has, over the centuries, borrowed from other celebrations. My only point is that some of these celebrations existed before Christianity existed.

There is some current discourse in this country that our secular laws are based on the laws of Christianity. No doubt there is some influence, but if we speak of the 10 Commandments, it must be noted that they are not "Christian" laws, they are Jewish laws. Christianity was in the very distant future. Plus, secular laws existed long before the 10 Commandments. No one reading this could possibly believe that murder was OK before Moses came down from the mountain top.

My suggestion to anyone who thinks these discussions are important is that they should read the new book by John Danforth, former Republican senator from Missouri (also a Episcopalian priest)...."Faith and Politics". I think he has a very good perspective on how politicians do not need to leave their faith at the front door, yet he takes the so called "religious right" to task for trying to turn the Republican party into a religious political party. Religion can be part of the political process, but religion cannot be allowed to become politics.
    Last edited by savabuck; 09-17-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savabuck View Post
    Huh? I am not sure that much needs to be dissected. Christianity is a relatively young religion. It has, over the centuries, borrowed from other celebrations. My only point is that some of these celebrations existed before Christianity existed.

There is some current discourse in this country that our secular laws are based on the laws of Christianity. No doubt there is some influence, but if we speak of the 10 Commandments, it must be noted that they are not "Christian" laws, they are Jewish laws. Christianity was in the very distant future. Plus, secular laws existed long before the 10 Commandments. No one reading this could possibly believe that murder was OK before Moses came down from the mountain top.

My suggestion to anyone who thinks these discussions are important is that they should read the new book by John Danforth, former Republican senator from Missouri (also a Episcopalian priest)...."Faith and Politics". I think he has a very good perspective on how politicians do not need to leave their faith at the front door, yet he takes the so called "religious right" to task for trying to turn the Republican party into a religious political party. Religion can be part of the political process, but religion cannot be allowed to become politics.
    so as so goes i FIND myself OVER HERE looking for SATISFACTION to INCRIMINATE myself with if such is APPROPRIATE at this ETERNAL point in TIME?! as i see MY incrimination a WONDER seeking a REPOSE1? or to say plainly, a PROBLEM solved!? and WHAT greater PROBLEM is there but the ETERNAL QUESTION/PROMISED HOWEVER VOICED by whatever CREATURE as the IDEA of CREATION goes!? not to be SO LIBERAL as to say WHATEVER, DUDE, but to ask if there is a CHAIN/BIRTHRIGHT of KNOWLEDGE how has the CLAIM of any GOD become a CONTENTION for EFFECTS NOW or LATER!? but i DO see THIS FACT as a DIVIDING line in the MINDS of those who BLESSED to by FATES FEARS to act as IF it is a RUNAWAY situation, NOT a RESCUE MISSION!? and if GOD is NO COMPLAINER except thru those LEFT BEHIND and MERE WORDS Unpopularity SCRIPTED,..............then where's the LOSS!? :errr: : :judges:
    Last edited by lexx; 10-03-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Christmas time was never a christian festival time, it was appropriated by the Romans to blend barbarian....? ideology and ceremony with their christian beliefs, inserting the celebration of their christs birth into a pagan date/ceremony. Then appropriated by the Victorian English as a celebration of consumption, now fed to us as a celebration of conspicuous consumption, by the manufacturers themselves.
    Do a good thing. Stop buying so much crap at XMAS.Go for a walk..get in touch at a family meal, celebrate family and life, not consumerism.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawker View Post
    Christmas time was never a christian festival time, it was appropriated by the Romans to blend barbarian....? ideology and ceremony with their christian beliefs, inserting the celebration of their christs birth into a pagan date/ceremony. Then appropriated by the Victorian English as a celebration of consumption, now fed to us as a celebration of conspicuous consumption, by the manufacturers themselves.
    Do a good thing. Stop buying so much crap at XMAS.Go for a walk..get in touch at a family meal, celebrate family and life, not consumerism.
    good IDEA for the OTHER 364 you might say!? if you can RISK the LEFT BEHIND aspect by acting TOO conspicuously!? :freak3: :1crysad: :spin2: :smurf:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Similar Threads

1. A Very TSA Christmas!!
    By SnappyDan in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
  2. The Christian War Against Christmas
    By David Ben-Ariel in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM
  3. What will you do on Christmas?
    By enlightenme007 in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
  4. 12-25-08 .. last Christmas with Bush !!
    By California Surfin in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 06:07 AM
  5. Christmas...
    By sojustask in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM