Poll: Do you prefer the word Christmas or Holiday

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

Politicaly correct, Holiday vs Christmas?

With the light of this year's events in most of the large "Department" stores like Wal Mart, Target and KMart, and the idea of being "politically Correct" in replacing the words Merry Christmas with "Happy Holidays", and Christmas Tree with "Holiday Tree", and even Target not allowing the "Christmas Ringers from the Slavation Army" at their stores, I am intrested to see where the people of this forum stand.

I myself am in favor of Christmas verses Holiday.

God Bless and Merry Christmas...

Re: Politicaly correct, Holiday vs Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by hdmarketing
    With the light of this year's events in most of the large "Department" stores like Wal Mart, Target and KMart, and the idea of being "politically Correct" in replacing the words Merry Christmas with "Happy Holidays", and Christmas Tree with "Holiday Tree", and even Target not allowing the "Christmas Ringers from the Slavation Army" at their stores, I am intrested to see where the people of this forum stand.

I myself am in favor of Christmas verses Holiday.

God Bless and Merry Christmas...
    God Bless you too and a Very Merry Christmas!

I use to always wish everyone a Merry Christmas until several years ago when I wished a business associate Merry Christmas and he returned with Happy Hanukka to me. In all the years that I spoken to him, I never realized he was Jewish. This made me realize that not everyone celebrates the holiday season as Christmas. When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas I return the greeting. Otherwise, I wish everyone Happy Holidays. However, a Christmas tree by any other name is still a Christmas tree.

I have many friends who celebrate holidays this time of year other than Christmas. I've always said Happy Holidays to folks because irregardless of what holiday they celebrate I want it to be a happy one for them. It was never a "politically correct" thing to say until it was made one by politicians.

I don't understand the "Holiday tree" thing. A Christmas tree is very much a christian deal. Maybe 20 years from now people will accept it for all religious beliefs, but I wouldn't count on that. Of course now the big thing seems to be upside down trees so you can fit more presents under it. I guess we know now how commercialized the season has become (which now starts in September by the way) in case anyone was unaware of it before. Since when did the goal become How many gifts you get and Not how you GIVE a gift from your heart?

We've never had Bell ringers in front of our Target store, not in the 15 years I've lived here. It's not something I think that should be made an issue over with Target, they don't allow other charities to park out front and accost customers at the doors either. Not that the bell ringers ever accost anyone, lol, I hope you understand what I mean though.

This is what happens when we allow governments to get involved in our Spiritual celebrations. We lose sight of why we are celebrating in the first place and it in turn becomes the season of greed and need.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Happy Holidays folks.

Thought this might be a good place to put this article. (No relation! LOL)

"If I cant say merry ..." by Pat Boone

December 24, 2005

Can you believe it? The big day is upon us, the day we look forward to all year long, that special time that sparks joyful anticipation in the eyes and minds and hearts of little kids everywhere, that calls families together and loved ones in from far and near to love and laugh and give and receive.

And of course all to commemorate and celebrate the birth of … well, you know.

In the stores, shops and malls there are happy displays of – well, ribbons and balls and lots of colors and shapes, all signifying … uh, a special winter holiday! Something's missing. Most of us have felt it, but we've been under pressure not to specify what it is.

Oh, and the wonderful, poignant music of the season: I just read that the three most heard songs this year are "Rockin' Around the … er, [special winter holiday] Tree," and "I'll Be Home for … [special winter holiday]," and of course the perennial favorite "White [special winter holiday]."

For all our lives, up to this very year, cheerful clerks in most every store have called out "Merry [censored]!" And we've happily responded, "Same to you, Happy New Year!" And these friendly, exuberant exchanges have not only lightened the stress of shopping but brightened the general atmosphere – to the point where people have actually ventured "I wish [special winter holiday] time could last all year!"

I don't remember once, ever, hearing somebody object to the cheery greeting. Do you? Ever hear "I don't believe in Jesus, so I wish you wouldn't say that" from any individual?

I didn't think so.

None but the most alienated, even bigoted, would deny a nation of predominately Christian people the happy freedom of expressing joy and good wishes during what's always been the happiest season of our year. And even those narrow-minded few don't deny themselves the perks and privileges of days off, sales, parties and other celebrations – none of which would exist were it not for … not for … you know.

Every other country with a predominant religion celebrates their holy days freely and openly, with no regard for the minorities that may not take part. That never has seemed to trouble any human rights commission anywhere on the planet, not once that I've been able to discover.

And nobody is forced to respond or say anything they don't want to in America! But an angry few, with some always-willing lawyers, keep trying to shut the rest of us up.

Why? Well, there are a lot of partial answers, but they're superficial, evasive. Some will surely disagree, but it's crystal clear to me: There is a growing, virulent anti-God virus abroad in the land, far more real right now than any bird flu.

Carriers of this virus among us include some in very influential places who angrily chafe at the very idea of God, limitations on behavior, rules and restrictions of any kind. "Ten Commandments? Bosh! 'Thou shalt not what?' Who says? I'm not taking orders from anybody. Shut up with your ridiculous religious notions. Keep your expressions of faith, of belief in some made-up deity, to yourself. You annoy me!"

Do you hear modern echoes of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"? I sure do. What made old Ebenezer so heartless and mean? It was his total self-absorption, his all-consuming greed and rejection of any expressions of charity – human or divine. To him, Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim's cheery optimism and good nature was infuriating, incomprehensible, and somehow a threat to his pinched, selfish worldview.

So he tried to shut them up. "Bah! Humbug!!"

Faced with our own Scrooges, are we going to cave in, just stifle our good wishes, lest someone somewhere may object?

Not me. And I hope not you. By the last few days' news reporting, the likes of Wal-Mart, Sears and other major retailers are scurrying to paste "Merry Christmas" greetings on walls and windows, apparently after noting the polling that indicated around 70 percent of Americans having their backs up about this!

So, let's shout, cry, sing, exclaim and carry on, more joyful and triumphant than ever, "Merry Christmas! God bless you this Christmas! Joy to the world, the Lord is come! Peace on earth, goodwill toward men!"

And if I still get fuss from the ACLU or other Grinches and Scrooges, I'll … why, I'll just respond cheerily, in my best Tiny Tim manner, "God bless us, one and all! And you have a happy hollowday!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat Boone, descendent of the legendary pioneer Daniel Boone, has been a top-selling recording artist, the star of his own hit TV series, a movie star, a Broadway headliner, and a best-selling author in a career that has spanned half a century. During the classic rock & roll era of the 1950s, he sold more records than any artist except Elvis Presley.

You left no option for "I prefer Hannukah" or any other holidays celebrated during the winter break.

umdkook Guest

ahahha wow this site is full of losers

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    You left no option for "I prefer Hannukah" or any other holidays celebrated during the winter break.
    Would seem to be that way because the question was not which Holiday do you prefer, but rather do you prefer the term Christmas to Holiday.

I have never in my life seen a tree for sale that was called a Hannukah Tree while I have often heard someone wish another "Happy Hannukah" and have never taken offense to it.

I am not Jewish, but I have wished my Jewish friends "Happy Hannukah" because I respect their traditions and they have returned my well wish with "and Merry Christmas to you" because they also knew and respected my traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    Would seem to be that way because the question was not which Holiday do you prefer, but rather do you prefer the term Christmas to Holiday.

I have never in my life seen a tree for sale that was called a Hannukah Tree while I have often heard someone wish another "Happy Hannukah" and have never taken offense to it.

I am not Jewish, but I have wished my Jewish friends "Happy Hannukah" because I respect their traditions and they have returned my well wish with "and Merry Christmas to you" because they also knew and respected my traditions.
    I responded to the poll, not the ensuing, ridiculous debate over "Holiday Trees." A little too politically correct for my blood.

That aside, I think that the term "Happy Holidays" is being used as a tool of right-wing religious fundraisers as something it isn't. It's just a blanket term that's become efficient for showing goodwill to another person regardless of what holiday they celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    That aside, I think that the term "Happy Holidays" is being used as a tool of right-wing religious fundraisers as something it isn't. It's just a blanket term that's become efficient for showing goodwill to another person regardless of what holiday they celebrate.
    Change "right-wing religious fundraisers" to simply "religious fundraisers" and I would agree with your perspective.

It is simply another avenue for the far left and the far right to attack each other. Personally, I don't shop at stores where I don't agree with the publicly stated positions. My little way of boycotting things I don't believe in. I don't however go out and tell everyone else not to shop there, I think that would be rather petty.

If the enough people who dislike the use of Holiday in place of Christmas stop shopping at stores that do not promote Christmas, then next year you would see "Christmas" back in the stores. Simply economics for the companies would dictate you put Christmas back in the stores. But that would make too much sense. Fanatics have to make a bigger issue out of it then maybe it is.

Of course the same thing holds true if people would stop shopping at stores that did not sell American Made products. And we see where that gets us....lol

Christians should be appalled that this "holiday" of rituals rooted in pagan worship bears the name of their Savior, rather than rejoicing in the fact.

Jeremiah 10:2-5, Deuteronomy 12:30-32.

But then, that's just YHWH's opinion, so feel free to disregard it.

People can call it what they like. It doesn't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    Christians should be appalled that this "holiday" of rituals rooted in pagan worship bears the name of their Savior, rather than rejoicing in the fact.

Jeremiah 10:2-5, Deuteronomy 12:30-32.

But then, that's just YHWH's opinion, so feel free to disregard it.

People can call it what they like. It doesn't change anything.
    I'm so glad that someone actually got around to bringing this up. Of course it will be disregarded but it was brought up. Bravo!

LM