+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Report: Syria agrees to hide Iran nukes

Report: Syria agrees to hide Iran nukes

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005
    LONDON — Syria has signed a pledge to store Iranian nuclear weapons and missiles.

The London-based Jane's Defence Weekly reported that Iran and Syria signed a strategic accord meant to protect either country from international pressure regarding their weapons programs. The magazine, citing diplomatic sources, said Syria agreed to store Iranian materials and weapons should Teheran come under United Nations sanctions.

Iran also pledged to grant haven to any Syrian intelligence officer indicted by the UN or Lebanon. Five Syrian officers have been questioned by the UN regarding the Hariri assassination, Middle East Newsline reported.
    "The sensitive chapter in the accord includes Syria's commitment to allow Iran to safely store weapons, sensitive equipment or even hazardous materials on Syrian soil should Iran need such help in a time of crisis," Jane's said.

The accord also obligated Syria to continue to supply the Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah with weapons, ammunition and communications. Iran has been the leading weapons supplier to Hizbullah, with about 15,000 missiles and rockets along the Israeli-Lebanese border.

The accord, negotiations of which began in 2004, was signed on Nov. 14 and meant to prepare for economic sanctions imposed on either Iran or Syria. Under the accord, Jane's said, Iran would relay financial aid to Syria in an effort to ease Western sanctions in wake of the UN determination that Damascus was responsible for the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Iran also pledged to supply a range of military aid to Syria. Jane's cited technology for weapons of mass destruction as well as conventional arms, ammunition and training of Syrian military.

Teheran would seek to upgrade Syrian ballistic missiles and chemical weapons systems. Under the accord, Iran would also be prepared to operate "advanced weapon systems in Syria during a military confrontation." Jane's said.

"The new strategic accord is based on the existing military MoUs, with the addition of the sensitive chapter dealing with cooperation in times of international sanctions or military conflict," Jane's reported.

Copyright © 2005 East West Services, Inc.

Hey!! Do ya think that maybe....um...nah--never mind.

Re: Report: Syria agrees to hide Iran nukes

well, this is certainly interesting. i bet iran is the next country we will windup bombing. i can't imagine them with nukes. that just can't happen. a most certain threat to world peace if they get their hands on nukes....

Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    well, this is certainly interesting. i bet iran is the next country we will windup bombing. i can't imagine them with nukes. that just can't happen. a most certain threat to world peace if they get their hands on nukes....
    My guess is you are correct. This time however it will be because we have been asked to take the lead by the very same countries who did not want to help is with Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    My guess is you are correct. This time however it will be because we have been asked to take the lead by the very same countries who did not want to help is with Iraq.
    well, i certinly hope it doesn't come down to more bombing & war, deaths. i seen enough of this in recent history. then more terrorism, ect...

They already have them. Make no mistake.

One thing is for sure, if we do go in, there will be NO doubt they have nukes and are willing to use them.

This is next great test.

Our general resolve will be tested to the max in the years to come. If you think we should stand together now, just wait for a few more years!

Divided, we fall, united we stand. Always has been, always will be. This is our strength.

Quote Originally Posted by catch-22
    They already have them. Make no mistake.

One thing is for sure, if we do go in, there will be NO doubt they have nukes and are willing to use them.

This is next great test.

Our general resolve will be tested to the max in the years to come. If you think we should stand together now, just wait for a few more years!

Divided, we fall, united we stand. Always has been, always will be. This is our strength.
    well i certainly hope your dead wrong (about the fact they have them) these people are crazy & are taught to hate us from a young age. sure we would wipe them out in any nuclear war, or any type of war, but after millions dead from nuclear fallout that is. i just hope cooler heads prevail. cooler heads prevailed after the cuban missle crisis, & maybe they will again here.

i just hope cooler heads prevail. cooler heads prevailed after the cuban missle crisis, & maybe they will again here.
    Amen to that, friend. Sometimes hope is all we have left and I sincerely hope will bring about peace in our time. I like to think so. Especially at this time of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by catch-22
    Amen to that, friend. Sometimes hope is all we have left and I sincerely hope will bring about peace in our time. I like to think so. Especially at this time of the year!
    there was an article in our local newspaper from a survivor of hiroshima telling about the horrors of nuclear war. she told stories of bodies that had their flesh burned off to a crisp, survivors that are all disfigured, & stuff like that. nasty! it' sad that war has to come to something like that. it makes me wonder why we even did that. we just could have just bombed their military installations to kingdom come. at least the air would'nt be poisioned & there would be no mass casualties. it's sad when innocent children, women, & animals (pets) are killed....

there was an article in our local newspaper from a survivor of hiroshima telling about the horrors of nuclear war. she told stories of bodies that had their flesh burned off to a crisp, survivors that are all disfigured, & stuff like that. nasty! it' sad that war has to come to something like that. it makes me wonder why we even did that. we just could have just bombed their military installations to kingdom come. at least the air would'nt be poisioned & there would be no mass casualties. it's sad when innocent children, women, & animals (pets) are killed....
    I have nothing to say to that! Except that we must remain firm in our stance.

If we don't, we lose! I mean as a species not as a nation.

It has gone way beyond survival as a nation.

We need to all start thinking about the survival of the species!

While we obviously knew what type of devastation the bombs dropped on Japan would cause, it is doubtful anyone new of the radiation fallout that would follow.

Try to find History books written no later then the later 80s if you are not old enough to have been studied WWII prior to that. Books written after that seem to change the history a little.

It is interesting that Japan and the US are so friendly to each other now. That is something I have always found to be very interesting.

well, now that we know about radiation fallout, i hope we or no one else ever drops a nuclear bomb on anyone. but on the other hand, if were threatened by another nation with those same nuclear weapons, what else can we do? i just pray for cooler heads. this world could have been destroyed during the cuban missile crisis, but it was not, so maybe we shoud learn from history....

I believe there was a major difference in the world during the Cuban Missle Crisis. It was two Super Powers playing chicken. Each one knew the other could launch an attack that would mean the end of civilization.

The face off between The Soviet Union and the United States was interesting because it was not whether either one could wipe out the planet, but rather how fast could it be done. The war plan was mutually assured distruction. Kind of like saying if I can't have it neither can you. Both Countries where smart enough to realize that being destroyed was not a good answer to any problem and each believed the other side could in fact destroy them with a few simple button pushes.

Things are different now. There is only one country left that for certian has the ability to wipe any country off the map in a matter of hours. That is the USA. As history seems to be pointing out, it is quit possible that has been the case for the past 25 years, even when the Soviet Union was still intact it looks like their arsenal may not have been. It could be they played a very convincing bluff in the nuclear game of poker. The world is probably better off because they where so good at it.

Now is a different world. When you have 10,000 nuclear weapons, you are not as likely to use them. When you have one or two you just might be willing to take a chance and fire one off, try to get the world to pay attention to you. This is a very scarey thought.

I read a quote once that said

"I am not afraid of the government with thousands of nuclear weapons and a lot to lose, I am terrified of the maniac that has one and nothing to lose"

No idea who said it or if it was even a real comment, but it does make a lot of sense to me.

[QUOTE=pwrone]Report: Syria agrees to hide Iran nukes

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005
    LONDON — Syria has signed a pledge to store Iranian nuclear weapons and missiles.

The London-based Jane's Defence Weekly reported that Iran and Syria signed a strategic accord meant to protect either country from international pressure regarding their weapons programs. The magazine, citing diplomatic sources, said Syria agreed to store Iranian materials and weapons should Teheran come under United Nations sanctions.

[QUOTE]
    Who would that be??? Sounds like more nonsense to me. Did psyhe-ops pay to have this one published? Oh! Wait…. my over sight Jane’s Defense is the British Military no need to pay for this propaganda.

While we obviously knew what type of devastation the bombs dropped on Japan would cause, it is doubtful anyone new of the radiation fallout that would follow.

Try to find History books written no later then the later 80s if you are not old enough to have been studied WWII prior to that. Books written after that seem to change the history a little.

It is interesting that Japan and the US are so friendly to each other now. That is something I have always found to be very interesting.
    Even before WWII, Japan was always dependant on the US for raw materials. Once Japan's war with China started taking a turn for the worst, the US ceased supplying Japan with raw materials. This was an effort to discourage Japan from further aggression with China, but they decided to make plans to take on America. Big mistake on their part. That is my understanding of it anyway.

I think they have a mutual business partnership now. Japan only has so much natural resources and I would think that they would need to continue importing materials to manufacture goods. ANd who else to supply them with materials right ? Plus, between cars and electronics, north America is a large customer of Japan's as well. Almost like paying them to manufacture things for us to buy in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    Even before WWII, Japan was always dependant on the US for raw materials. Once Japan's war with China started taking a turn for the worst, the US ceased supplying Japan with raw materials. This was an effort to discourage Japan from further aggression with China, but they decided to make plans to take on America. Big mistake on their part. That is my understanding of it anyway.

I think they have a mutual business partnership now. Japan only has so much natural resources and I would think that they would need to continue importing materials to manufacture goods. ANd who else to supply them with materials right ? Plus, between cars and electronics, north America is a large customer of Japan's as well. Almost like paying them to manufacture things for us to buy in return.
    All of what you said and then there is the little tid bit where.....

....as part ofthe surrender agreement, Japan agreed not to ever have a military force capable of invading another country. The US agreed to defend Japan against agression from foriegn powers.

Probably a bit more formal then what I just posted, but the meat of it is the US was their protection against foriegn powers.

While the victims of the US bombs did not make out well, Japan, as a country , came out of WWII in a rather enviable postion. Being defended by the Worlds most powerful military and not needing to spend resources to equip it.

All of what you said and then there is the little tid bit where.....

....as part ofthe surrender agreement, Japan agreed not to ever have a military force capable of invading another country. The US agreed to defend Japan against agression from foriegn powers.

Probably a bit more formal then what I just posted, but the meat of it is the US was their protection against foriegn powers.

While the victims of the US bombs did not make out well, Japan, as a country , came out of WWII in a rather enviable postion. Being defended by the Worlds most powerful military and not needing to spend resources to equip it.
    A good position to be in indeed. I think Canada probably has the same protection. And Iraq will now as well ? What are friends for right ?