+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Re: Personal Assistant Scam?

Quote Originally Posted by babyface_33317 View Post
    I contacted very quickly my bank and unfortunately they are not able to stop the process of the deposit and that I may need to go on Monday to the branch directly.
    Yes, walk into you bank on Monday and tell the teller that you are the victim of a work-at-home, cash-the-fake-check scam. You aren't the first and won't be the last person to tell the teller that. You will probably have to pay the $35 bounced check fee, sorry.

here I come as a goof ball and fall for this crap.
    Scammers are, unfortunately, very good at convincing honest people to cash fake checks, accept fake money transfers, print fake checks and send their hard earned money to anonymous scammers.

The good news is that now you are aware of this type of scam and know to come here and other scam-busting sites whenever you have any questions about anything.

The bad news is that now you are on that scammer's 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "[email protected] gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement officer can be extremely funny.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
    6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "money mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

Good luck with the job search and hope you come back and post up more fake job emails.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

I just got two different eMail scams and thought I should let you all see them. I am really glad you all were here because I would have fallen for them.

~~~

First one~

Hello
    How are you, You have been picked as my possible customer service agent, after reviewing your resume. I'm looking for someone that can be trusted, energetic and reliable at work and with good understanding.

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them,my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can meet up with my irregular timings.As my Personal Assistant,your activities amongst other things will include;

*Running personal errands
    *Coordinate special domestic and international travel plans.
    *Oversee Outlook calendars to prioritize appointments and schedule meetings
    *Maintain Personal Bank Accounts and keeping me up to date with them.
    *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..

Basic wage is $400 Weekly.

I own a young non-profit Humanitarian Foundation creating humanitarian projects that focus on human rights and community development. As part of this Humanitarian Foundation, Combat Relief meets the special needs of veterans and their families by providing financial grants to established programs and initiatives dedicated to meeting the challenges they face when returning to their communities

I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this point,as I am presently out of the country, I will be back in about three Weeks.I think you're the right person for this position after going through your resume,Please note that this position is not office based for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time work from home and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others but basically you will work between 15 and 20hrs a month, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week.If you can manage your time properly,this job may even give you some extras while you do something else on the side.

As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible.I do have lots of works piled up presently and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship and hopefully when I meet with you after my arrival we can talk about the possibility of making this long term. I'm online most of the time I prefer we contact each other through E-mails or IM (Instant Messenger), but if there is need for me to call, I will and i promise to be a good boss in as much as you are diligent. I will need to update your contact info with my clients from Fortune 100 Corporate Organization. I will like you to get back to me with your Contact Details as it will be used for payment/delivery purposes :

First Name :
    Last Name :
    Street Address :
    City, State, Zip Code :
    Cell Phone Number:
    Home Phone Number:
    Current Occupation :
    IM /Email Address :

Once I have received your contact information, I will get back to you with the task for this week , you will also be paid upfront as its important you help me handle some errands before i get back from my business trip . Hope I am clear with that.

I will await your response and also let me have the above info as it should appear on payment.

Regards
    Robin Newman

Second one~

Dear FirstName ,

Thanks for responding to my advert on Careerbuilder . I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on business. I am in Estonia, as such there will be no interview. I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them where I want them mailed. You don't have to incur any out of pocket expenses, all you are required to do is receive my packages shipped to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to confirm its content. The content of the packages are computer, electronics, clothing and some business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered and incurred by me. You will work between 10 to 15 hrs a week..I do not know how much you would charge per month but I am willing to pay you $500 weekly. That should not be a bad offer i suppose? I need your service because I am constantly out of town. I am Self Employed and I own an Artworks store here in Estonia. I will return to the United States by the End of March and this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can agree on the possibility of making this long term. Do please let me know if you are capable of handling the position?

I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for me when I am ready. No heavy packages involved! You can do shopping at Sears, Walmart, and other reliable stores. You will be shopping for Electronics and clothing. I will provide you with my UPS account number for Shipping. All you need do is bill the shipping charges on it. I will provide you with clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well as funds to cover them. If and when i have to mail you money to do my shopping, plus upfront payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? If you are interested and understand the above stated, do reply me with the following information

Your Full Name:
    Mailing Address (Not PO Box):
    City, State, Zip Code:
    Phone Numbers:
    I await your response

Sincerely,

N.B : Do get back to me with the required details above , in order that your pay-check can be forwarded to you as soon as possible. I will appreciate your prompt response.Thanks and the best way to reach me now is via email as I am presently not in the united states at the moment and this is why my phone number is not listed .

Best Regards

~~~

CareerBuilder is where they are getting myeMail and boy am I glad I have set up that particular account for spam. ;) Thank you again!

I just joined this website, and noticed this fabulous board for those of us who have managed to fall for a scam. Same thing, "personal assistant", check-cashing, the whole nine yards. Fortunately I had stuff I was holding back from the scammer, and didn't get taken for the whole amount, but still have to pay back a portion. I feel fortunate that I had legit jobs, and while I'm gonna be pissed about my credit rating, I'm cooperating with everyone to get this scum taken to justice. Look out for:

U&M Groups
    KJ Groups
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

I've already informed the local authorities, and have a claim filed with ic3.gov.

If anyone else has come into contact with any of these e-mail addresses, feel free to let me know, I'm happy to add you as a victim to my complaint with ic3. I feel really stupid for falling for this, but, hey, like others have said, in this economy, sometimes you overlook the obvious "red flags". Plus this person was very charming and vaguely threatening. They've gotten worse, it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by badwx1 View Post
    I have another possible scam. I received an unsolicited email (actually two came through). My warning system came up especially with the BAD english. Has anyone run into this? I have a bad feeling about this email. :zx11pissed:

Hi,
    My name is Mrs Stephanie Wilmore wife to Mr James Wilmore ,I came across your resume on Career Network saying you need employment.I'll need your services as a personal assistant for my business within the states. We just moved in to town a couple of days ago before embarking on a trip sponsored by my husband's company. Presently we're on vacation on board on an European line cruiser sponsored by my husband's company and we'll be back soon before the end of this month or at the very beginning of next month. I am a fashion designer, i design and make French wedding gowns, and I have numerous customers around the states.I work from home and i also supply stores with my products.I deal mainly in whole sales. I wish i had my website up already so that you can view some of my work but that's one of the reason why i need a P.A who will plan with me so that we can set everything up.
    Sandra is our only child and daughter and she plays a very important role in our family, ever since she was born,the family has never remained the same for good. There 're just the 4 (myself,my husband,my daughter and my husband's mom) of us in the house hopefully you will be the fifth person.I have an offer for you to be my personal assistant and to help with business related issues and advice, also to to take care of my business for me whenever am not around in person. You can send in your updated resume/references in your next email. I want to let you know that we're having much fun out here, we would have love to call you but the network on board is really poor because of the high tides for this particular period of the year.But we would call you as soon as we get a clearer reception. My daughter has been a little ill and she has been in the Intensive care Unit on board for
    the past two days, But I thank God she's is getting on fine and this will prompt us in coming home as soon as we get to shores.
    I and my husband want to put things in place so you can start immediately we arrive from our vacation.We would like to have a brief interview with you,answer the following questions.
    1)How many years of work experience do you have ?
    2) Do you smoke ?
    3)Do you do drugs ?
    4) What area are you located presently ?
    5)Do you have any disability ?
    . .............Below is our Offer and Requirements.........
    You'll be paid $800.00 weekly If you choose to receive your salaries monthly thats $3200 and its okay with us.
    1) You must be able to speak English Language..
    2)Is your partners in support of this position for you.
    3)You must have any references and achievements ?
    4)Ever been convicted ?? Doesn't matter to me as long as you have realize your past mistakes and now a changed person.
    I await your prompt response and as soon as i get your response, I will write back to let you know if you have the job or not.
    Regards.
    Mr.James Wilmore
    This screams scam from the get go. If you look at the part where the "lady" introduces him/herself, and then look at the signature part of the email, you can see that something doesn't jive. The signature is the husband, but begins with the wife. "She" also says that the website for the company is not up, red flag #2. Not only that, but earlier in the email, it is mentioned that "she" wants to do a personal interview with you, but gives you a bunch of questions to answer and email back to them, and then they'll let you know if you have the job or not: red flag #3. I may be wrong, but this sounds like the typical "cash a fake check" scheme. Run as fast as you can!
    If you didn't enter the lottery, you didn't win...

There was an ad in my newpaper about a personal assistant job paying 400 a week. I sent my resume via email and just got a response today and it's for a mystery shopper job. They say the company is Conti Fibre, which is a fabric place in Italy. They wanted my information and I am not going to send it. They email was [email protected] by the name of Kenny Day. They would send me money to buy stuff for mystery shopping.

Thanks for posting up that information on a scam.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

GREAT WORK GUYS! Thanks for signing up and contributing!

short and sweet there is no such thing as ONLINE JOBS !

a JOB is when you perform a set of daily task for a BOSS and GET paid at weeksend PERIOS!

Therefore anyone advertsing JOBS online is posting a lie and just do not join !

All though i use that keyword in my blogs because thats what people serach for JOBS
    or work at home or earn moneyonline etc...
    FREE cash for YOU hundreds Weekly
    http://youtu.be/rgiyOp320Kk
    message me here for full details or use E mail mentioned in video.

I believe your intentions are good but your "facts" are WRONG.. There are a lot of companies who do hire for online JOBS..

The problem comes in with people who believe they can just log on to the internet, sign up and start working for an EMPLOYER.. It doesn't work that way. I have two relatives plus myself who work from home for an employer and I know many others who do as well.

The keyword in that last paragraph is WORK. It doesn't mean to pay to find a job, it doesn't mean to just sign up and start supposedly working. It does mean, you find a company who hires, you apply with a resume, you go through an interview, you have the equipment you need, (usually a quiet area, a dedicated landline, a headset, etc) and that you actually get hired. Just applying should NEVER mean you are automatically hired.

Just to give you an idea of what a REAL company looks like, take a look at http://www.axiondata.com/employment.htm, they aren't hiring right now but at least everyone can see what a real company actually looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by billybill View Post
    short and sweet there is no such thing as ONLINE JOBS !

a JOB is when you perform a set of daily task for a BOSS and GET paid at weeksend PERIOS!

Therefore anyone advertsing JOBS online is posting a lie and just do not join !

All though i use that keyword in my blogs because thats what people serach for JOBS
    or work at home or earn moneyonline etc...

Lol I have heard about the Nigerian scams. They are so easy to identify and am sure they think people are that stupid to fall for them.