+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Personal Assistant Scam?

Hi borgie101 .

Thx for yours info. I have discovered that he is from nigeria .

Anyway, i have got small update of his mail because i have changed it.

[email protected]
    Last edited by Meri Widow; 01-25-2011 at 08:52 AM.

here is another email [email protected]

my husband and i got scammed also just last week. our employer went by the name Tom Mayer, so please watch out for this name. we were desperate for extra work and money and were suckered. he had my husband opened a bank acct where he had his "client" wired money into. from there he instructed my husband to pull the money out and send it via western union to Nigeria. i really wish we search up this forum earlier. we found out through our bank, our scamming employer somehow got hold of someone else's account access and wired money to our acct. that person filed a fraud report and the bank returned the money back to him. but sadly, the money is now charged back to us and we now owe a negative on our acct as we are held responsible. now we have to pay the money back before we are on all banks' black list. we will be filing a police report.

are there any other actions we should be taking aside from the possibilities of more scamming emails and police report?

my husband has been really bummed since we found out this is a scam. it is hard enough for us as money is tight as it is already. now we have to pay the bank money we innocently helped take. i really wish all of the scammers out there all get what they deserve in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by meena View Post
    are there any other actions we should be taking aside from the possibilities of more scamming emails and police report?
    Making a scammer's scam googlable is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post and then does not become a victim because you took the time to "get the word out". There are other scam-busting sites that would love to add that scammer to their collections.

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, ask questions and learn all about that hobby.

Now for the really bad news. Since you have you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money, email address or identity to a scammer.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

thanks alot Meri Widow. i am glad to have to found this forum and was able to share our story. thank you so much for your advices, it was really helpful. we will definitely be more careful and will seriously look into scambaiting.

Be even more careful now.. i got a LONG email about this guy who is suppose to be on vacation for 2 weeks.. and is gna send me money for an orphanage and stuff..just like all these people .. (was posted on Seattle *****slist) i noticed it was fishy when he wouldnt say a location.. in the two emails i got from him.. it was about where you live.. or by your home... not in seattle.. or more specific (where my address was) just like in others he had bad hearing so couldnt hear... also supposedly works for AIN in canada n US.. made some errors in saying HERE IN US.. when he was suppose to be in austrailia... so im thinkin hes somewhere in the states.

he also said this....

A payment in form of check from one of my clients will be sent to you and i have some lists to email you once you received the funds,You will make some arrangements by buying some items for the kids at the Orphanage home at the nearest store around you so you can have them mailed out. I will get you more information the assignment i have for you.

which flagged me to look for any scams on it...
    along with the form to fill out address name etc.. no real personal info just like the others, which i saw fishy because he had it all already.

BUT the main reason i wanted to post on here.. was his email address greatly changed. he told me he was an interior designer.. and even had a DESIGNER EMAIL ADDRESS.... so dont just look at emails for yahoo.com and gmail and stuff.. it can be anything...

his was...[email protected]

it says there is a premdesigns.com but it is not started (aka google says if you are admin.. create a home page) and also there is no interior designer with premier designs.. or prem design or anything!

so BE AWARE of email addresses!!!

Glad to read that you figured out it was a scam before losing money to a "cash the fake check" type scammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nique0401 View Post
    BUT the main reason i wanted to post on here.. was his email address greatly changed. he told me he was an interior designer.. and even had a DESIGNER EMAIL ADDRESS.... so dont just look at emails for yahoo.com and gmail and stuff.. it can be anything...

his was...[email protected]

it says there is a premdesigns.com but it is not started (aka google says if you are admin.. create a home page) and also there is no interior designer with premier designs.. or prem design or anything!

so BE AWARE of email addresses!!!
    Nice, a paid server email address. If you would like to cause that scammer some grief, you can help shut down his paid email address. If you google the word "scambaiting" you will find sites where you can post up that email address and the emails themselves. At the sites you find, look for the forum entitled "fake websites/banks" and post what you have there. Then you can read up on how to alert the hosting company that they have a scammer using their services. Even if you aren't interested is alerting the hosting company, you can still post what you have there for someone else "to take of".

UPDATE: so, after a week of dealing with our bank (paying all the money owed on the acct), filing police report, etc., we find out we might still be on the bank's black list. from the bank's perspective, we look like the ones committing the fraud. we are still waiting for our bank's update. our banker told us worse case scenario is the fraud will be reported to the bank's check system (all banks). from there we will not be able to open another bank acct for the next 5 years. as for our current accts, depending on which bank, they can decide to cancel our existing accts and we will not be able to bank with them anymore. just a head's up on what to expect if you were scammed as deep in as we are.

The English and Grammar in the on i received hurt my head. :(

It is a pleasure you response to my email...,I am a Building contractor,I am from Cardiff, Wales, I build home for Orphanage and homeless people in and outside UK, presently am building Orphanage construction project....I am very sure there is a post office and UPS Courier service is around you to send Items?...In addition to that, I don't mind you handle the tasks during your spare time outside of work or school. Like I mentioned its a flexible hour job that will fit your present Job. I am a Building Contractor, Build homes for Orphans and homeless people... I . I wish I could meet in person to discuss about am still working here for a Orphanage Building construction project and the project will last for 3months .For this reason there will be no interview until I return UK after I done with the project.
    Your primary objective is to facilitate the purchase of household items, home appliances etc for orphans and homeless people, All errands will be in your county/town, so It is not necessary that you have a car, you can run errands via bus or taxi,you won't have to put money out of your pocket, You main objective it to do shopping for Orphans ( purchase of Home appliances,Household etc ) which I will mail you a brochure for you to browse through it for exactly what to buy at the stores.

1.Have you ever worked as a Personal Assistant ?
    2.Can you communicate effective and efficiently?
    3.Will you be able to run errands 1hrs. 30mins per day for and will be
    needed 3 days per week?

You will be earning 250GBP on every successful duty/purchase completed in every week, and next assignment will only be upon successful completion of the first assignment,note that all shopping expenses,shipping and pick up arrangements for items purchased will be duly arranged for by me OK .
    Please note that no commitment from your pocket made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. If you are interested in taking up this employment opportunity, do forward me the under listed information(s) for the issuance of the payment ( Cheque ) I need your details for the money ( Cheque ) to be mail to you.As my representative, you will be receiving payments from my sponsors in UK.....

FULL NAME:
    FULL CONTACT ADDRESS :
    COUNTY/TOWN :
    POSTAL CODE:
    MOBILE NUMBER:
    NATIONALITY
    EMAIL:

I am grateful for your attention.
    Upon receipt of above details, I will send you an e-mail acknowledging your status, Details forwarded will be used to disburse payment
    If you are interested get back as soon as possible with details required above for immediate employment.

Respectfully,

fred williams work at home

:2gunsfiring_v1:Do not cash his checks!!!!!
    Subject: JOB DETAILS

Hello Applicant..

Your application is successful. The Quality of your resume or response was highly considered by the Board before you were selected.You start up firstly with the training process which would last for a week and then full start-up. This is just a formal mail to inform you that you have been selected for this Job and to get ready for start up. Appointment letter and others would be mailed to the address you would provide us to be delivered next week after the test of
    duty/Trust. Now let me give you insight to the Job in question, your duties, How to get started and your Benefits.

JOB DETAILS -
    Working from home with the company's provided computer is a broad expatiation's of how the online duty is performed working from home... You are required to use the equipments because there is a wide range of software installed on the system to protect data, ease duty, and also enhance speed and accuracy of duty online. The Company's equipment that would be shipped to you is liable to be yours (Ownership) after a period of 2 months of working with the Company.

We are not deducting funds from your payroll for Taxes; all Our Online staffs are expected to complete their taxes forms after payroll by themselves.

The Company is running the Online Recruiting as a temporary measure towards the completion of our Centers around the United states and Canada, So most of our online staffs would have the first hand opportunity to apply to become permanent staffs when these centers are opened.. We are certified and also registered with the Better Business Bureau. So I can assure you that you have been offered a great opportunity to perform, giving your best to performing Data Entry
    duties in exchange for a good pay.

The company's Home Business Unit is under URL change and it involves a very high re-organizational process that involves bringing all our online staffs to log-on on the same Network Online with their staff ID. Then after 7 business days each online staffs can have a log on ID/Password to get access to their duties online while still communicating with their supervisors.
    PAYROLL ROUTINE -
    Please provide answers to the following schedule so we could update
    your folder on the administrative desk.
    1. How many hours are you willing to Work per day?
    2. What time range. (Morning Section 8am-12noon or Afternoon section 3pm-6pm)?
    3. Payroll Interval... (Weekly or Bi-weekly)?
    4. Payroll Method. Check or Direct deposit ( CHASE BANK ONLY ) ?
    5. We offer $20 per hour.

Basically before you get started, the company would be providing you with funds to purchase some important software required for the duty in question and then you will be receiving equipments from the Company. Dell Notebook LaptopPentium D Duo Processor , All in one Printer, Scanner and Fax Machine with a wide range of software already installed on the system against hacking.

TEST OF DUTY/TRUST -

Test of duty/trust would involve you handling funds on behalf of the company to purchase the needed software and also to handle the shipment of your mini office equipment. The test of trust is your first call to duty, this will be your first assignment before you begin your training, You will be receiving a payment from the company shortly and would be required to follow proper directions, Accurate deduction and documentation is expected from you. This would be the only payment you will be required to handle on your own.. all other future payments would be forwarded by you to the company's accounting details which will be readily made available for you upon your start.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you send your contact details and your answers to the payroll questions, so that it can be forwarded to the company's accounting department for processing, also for you to be able to receive your test of duty/trust package.

Details should be sent in the format below:

Your full name..
    Address..
    City..
    State..
    Zip Code...
    Phone #home...
    Cell #....
    Email...

I look forward working with you as an online staffs. I will be waiting for your detailed response so that we can move on to the next phase.

Regards,

Dr. Fred Williams.:2gunsfiring_v1:

I got scammed today. Dang it those people, got my hopes up high for a job!!
    This is the third email that this person had sent me. Looks like im going to have to change my email again. Thanks for scam.com.

Hello ,
    How are you doing today and how was your weekend? This
    is just a follow up email to notify you that in correspondence to you
    as my assistant, your file has already been registered with us and
    your staff code id number is (RC2011673PTV). Your first task is set to
    start this week and the check payment to carry out the task will be
    issued out this week . So i will get the courier tracking number
    across to you upon the delivery. All you have to do is to get it
    cashed at your bank, deduct your $600 weekly salary and proceed to any
    money gram outlet around you to transfer the balance to TEXAS SOS
    Children community, so the funds will be wired to TEXAS SOS Children
    community via money gram, You need to complete the transaction ASAP
    because the funds is for Charity project. The focus of the project was
    AIDS prevention and Care for HIV infected children. I will get back to
    you with the necessary information once it's been issued out. Look
    forward to reading from you soon and working together in greater
    possibilities. Your fast response to this email will be highly
    advantageous. Let me know if you receive this email and ready to start
    working.

An acknowledgement of this mail will be appreciated.

Regards,

James Edmond

Received the scam from "Randall Wasserstrom"

Dear ,

Thanks for your interests in the PA position, I will deeply appreciate all genuine efforts to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities.
    I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since returned to her country. I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been. I'm Mr Randall, 45, originally from London, but I have spent a whole lot here in United State. I'm a lawyer by profession and I have been pretty successful in any handful of ventures i get involved in, from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United State to various welfare and community service programs, I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

This position is home-based as i said and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that , i may come at you impromptu some times . With all this , i need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on. This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially. I'm currently in the UK now for a summit, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available to do them for me.

This job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side. As i have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually.Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job . I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us.

I have been checking my files and what i would want you to do for me this week is to run some errands out to some of the orphanage home,I do that every month . The funds will be in form of Money Orderor travellers check and it will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i have some list to email you once you received the funds,
    I will get you more information on that, I will like you to get back to me with your Contact Details such as:-

FULL NAMES:
    ADDRESS(NOT P.O BOX):
    CITY:
    STATE:
    ZIP CODE:
    PHONE NUMBERS:
    NATIONALITY:
    E:MAIL:

Once i received your contact information i will get back to you with the task for this week,Understand you will also be paid as well as its important for me to make the necessary steps before i get to the state. Hope i am clear with that.

Get back as soon as possible..
    Mr Randall Wasserstrom
    [email protected]

For the heck of it, I made up I emailed him back and made up an address... and shockingly got the job. So next step, he sent out a fedex with the checks and is waiting for me to cash them? He emailed me a bunch of times but i haven't heard back since i told him it was a scam....

Wonder how they get those fedex accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by cynyc View Post
    For the heck of it, I made up I emailed him back and made up an address... and shockingly got the job. So next step, he sent out a fedex with the checks and is waiting for me to cash them? He emailed me a bunch of times but i haven't heard back since i told him it was a scam...
    Thanks for posting up the "job posting" from that scammer. Making a scammer's scam googlable is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post and then does not become a victim because you took the time to "get the word out". Thanks!!

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, ask questions and learn all about that hobby.

Found this scam in my local newspaper the CT Post!!!!

Seemed like a real add, listed hours to work, and needed skills (general office stuff). Seemed like scam emails I have heard about.

I have reported the add to the CT Post and to www.ic3.gov/ - but sadly they do have my resume.

email listed in the newspaper was
    [email protected]

----------------------

Hi Applicant,

Re: Application for the position for Executive Personal Assistant

Thanks for your response to my job opening, we do have a new position open and I believe that you are the best candidate for the position after reviewing your application. I need a personal assistant to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities. I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since returned to her home country. I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.

My full names are Michael Hodge, I am 54 years old, originally from New York. I am an international businessman and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in; from the Oil Investments in Russia and United States to various welfare and community service programs, I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities back in the States since I am always on the move traveling the world over seeking business opportunities.

As my personal assistant, your activities amongst other things will include the following:

*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
    *Scheduling programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
    *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.

The basic starting wage I will be ready to pay you for handling these activities will be $900.00 weekly.

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings. There is also a very sensitive issue of trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on. This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially.

I am currently in Prague, Czech Republic now for a summit, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.

If you will be available for this job, I will need you to re-confirm your interest once more by responding to this email with the requested details below and I need you to start work immediately.

Full Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip Code:
    Nationality:
    Cell #:

Thank you in anticipation of your prompt and positive response.

Sincerely,

Mr. Michael Hodge

Quote Originally Posted by BizarroZatanna View Post
    I have reported the add to the CT Post and to www.ic3.gov/ - but sadly they do have my resume.
    And you posted here so someone not-so savvy can read your post and not become a victim. As long as you simply do not respond in any way to that scammer, he will go away. He will delete your resume and move onto someone more "victim-like". Doubtful he read the resume or even tried to open the link. Scammers think if a potential victim sends a resume or their name/address/phone number then the victim is firmly hooked in the scam and will do what the scammer says.

A couple of years ago, I fell for a job scam and the bank had to cover me for $3000. I was so embarrassed that I had fallen for it.

Then, last year I was looking for a place to live and almost fell for an apartment rental scam. But I was smarter this time round and did a google search on it and caught on sooner rather than later. I reported both incidents.

Don't feel bad if you fall for these scams. Some of them are really well done and if you're desperate for money, it's easy to ignore the warning bells. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :1crysad:

I received the offer below 2 days ago.
    ------------------------------------------
    Hello,

Hope this message finds you well, I'm Charles Hamilton and my wife's name is Sharon Hamilton. We are relocating to your area from London, United Kingdom to do some contract basis with Environmental Protection Agency on a private research work.

However, we need someone who will help us to take care of the house by doing the house work while we are at work, someone that will also help in running some errands.

We will need your services twice a week at any suitable time of yours at a time of your choosing, (Morning or Evening) between Tuesday and Sunday. We will be offering you $500 weekly for the first view weeks and your salary will increase gradually depend on how committed and responsible.

If you believe you are fit for this position, in as much you can prove yourself to be a reliable and good person. My personal assistant that is based in the "States" will be handling the payment after a background check. I will instruct him to issue one week payment, so as to secure your service after hearing from you. You will receive a check, which you will deduct your first week pay and you will be use the remaining balance to buy foodstuffs and other things needed in the house before our arrival date which will be April 20th, 2011.

I will also instruct my personal assistant to mail the keys of the house to you so that you can do all the other necessary preparations before we arrive. I will also email you the shopping list. To get started with the work, e mail us the under listed information so that we verify your identity to ensure you have no or little criminal record(s) before we proceed and embark on the next stage of the recruitment process.
    We usually allow 1-3 days at the average for verification process to be completed.

Full Name:
    Address, Apt number and Zip code:
    Phone number:
    Acceptance of offer:

All I need from you is total honesty and sincerity and you could enjoy working for us. I will be look forward waiting to hearing from you.

Thanks Sincerely,
    Charles Hamilton
    Ps; I will appreciate your quick response if you are satisfied with the offer.

His email address was [email protected]

Ok, this one is really confusing. I usually pick out the scams easily but this one I'm just not sure about. There was a personal assistant position on *****slist advertised and this is the response I just received: (thanks for our input everyone)

Hello,

It’s nice to read from you that you are interested in knowing more about the personal assistant part time job I’m offering.
    I am looking for someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time. I'm a Realtor and I'm always traveling.

Your duties and responsibility includes:

* Screening telephone calls, and handling requests, and enquiries, when appropriate.

* Maintaining and organizing diaries and planning and scheduling proper appointments and meetings.

* Dealing with incoming calls, post, email, and faxes, and taking minutes and dictation in meetings.

* Creating spreadsheets, composing correspondence, managing databases.

* Creating presentations, documents, reports, and using digital graphics and desktop publishing software.

* Maintaining and devising office systems, including filing, data management etc.
    Organizing and maintaining electronic and paper files and managing projects.
    Liaising with suppliers, clients, and other staff.

I am offering you this job based on your resume and there will be no Interview for now. I will be coming over from Canada and will like to have everything ready before I got to the states. You will be paid

in advance for this position and you will also be required to do some shopping for me. All expenses and taxes will be handled by me. You will be working 1-2 days a week. I will be offering you a starting

salary of $300 USD weekly and as time goes on, we will look into advancement. Your starting date will be on the 15th of April. If you are confident of handling the above duties and responsibilities, I will

be emailing you a list of office supplies you are to purchase from sears, OfficeMax, Wal-Mart or any other stationery stores around you. Please note, You won’t be paying for any of these supplies as I will

be sending the payment to cover your first week salary and the supplies.

If you are accepting this job offer, kindly fill in the form below:

Full Name..
    Full Address (No P.O Box)..
    City..
    State..
    Zip code..
    Cell Number..
    Home Number:
    Age....
    Gender...

Looking forward to a good working relationship with you.

Regards,
    Lee Mann.