+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Personal Assistant Scam?

HELP!~

I just fell for this scam. I deposited the check into my account. I was told $1100 of the check was mine for my pay and the other $2100 was to purchase things for an orphanage. I'm supposed to be waiting for a email that tells me exactly what to purchase for the orphanage and would be mailing it to them when I purchase it. PROBLEM is...I bought groceries the other day, plus a new outfit for my girls, and ordered some candles from a company I work for. The bank put a hold on the deposit, so now my bank account in in the hole for about $800.

I didn't realize this was a scam because I contacted them!! I found the ad on Crai gs list and emailed them.

Ok...so the bank called me on Saturday, but when I called back I had to leave a message. The lady I need to talk to is out of the office today, and will return tomorrow.

Am I going to be in trouble? I really didn't know that this was a scam. I haven't talked to anyone at the bank, just got a little concerned when they called...and got to looking around and came across this page.

Thanks.

First, don't panic, you are the victim here.

Second, first thing in the morning, drive to your bank and explain to them that you now realize the check you deposited was fake and you would like to work out a repayment plan.

Third, do not respond in any way to the scammer's emails or phone calls. Just ignore him completely. This will be the hardest part. Any response on your part with simply encourage him to send nasty, rude, foul emails/calls and you do not need that stress right now.

The scammer may send you emails from "[email protected] gmail", "[email protected] hotmail" or something similar. Just ignore and block those emails as well. Don't bother to read them, they will just upset you further. Ignoring the scammer completely will upset him and make him wonder forever what happened to make you NOT send him what he wanted. That is what you want to leave this scammer with: confusion and the "what went wrong with my scam?" feeling.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of lost money, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell you email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order for any reason what-so-ever.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages, re-ship them or to buy anything and ship it on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Thank you. I called the bank this morningm, they had called me on Saturday but I missed the call and couldn't talk to them again until this morning. So they told me the check was counterfet. And told me it was ok to take a couple months to pay back the money, but do so as quickly as possible.

Here is the email I received...
    Hope you're having a pleasant day today

You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on *****slist. Do take time to go through this introductory mail and feel free to pass any questions on.

I am Andy Smith , a father of 2 wonderful kids and the CEO of Smith Chiropractic Office, With over 24 years of experience, I have developed a great degree of confidence in chiropractic treatment and its ability to decrease pain and symptoms, as well as improve overall health. My desire is to help people continue to do all the things that make their lives enjoyable.You can Google Chiropractic to read more about it. I also Treat patients from orphanage homes.

I have an opening for a Special Assistant who will support me in day to day activities, special projects and scheduling. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, with a successful track record of developing and maintaining administrative systems in a team environment. I travel every now and then within and outside the US working on various independent Chiropractic Offices, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

I have had a previous Assistant who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since moved on with her personal life and it has affected me in a way. I found her previously on the *****slist website and I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week. If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra time while you do something else on the side. As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended chores.

We Only need 4 hours of your time every week and that will be 2hours a day which will be divided into two days. That is you are to work for us just 2hours a day and that will just be two days a week.Please note that you are being hired only on a personal level. All correspondences would be made and promptly reported to me personally. The position is part time and home-based meaning you can work most times from your home as long as you have a regular internet access. You are also hired on a trial basis for now until we are able to see how well we fit in, this however does not affect your weekly wage.

Most of your activities will be carried out locally and most official packages will be delivered via posts. You will be actively involved in my personal, business and financial life. In summary, your activities as my assistant amongst other things will include;

* Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence;
    * Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring;
    * Organizing and maintaining diaries, memos and making appointments;
    * Dealing with incoming email, faxes and post;
    * Carrying out background research and presenting findings;
    * A personal reminder for Schedules, programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them as they come up;
    * carrying out duties to orphanage homes

Basic wage is $550 Weekly.

Any extra personal expenses (transport, gas, etc) incurred by you while on an errand or otherwise will also be reimbursed by me at the end of each working week.

This position is very flexible and it is not difficult judging the exact number of hours you will be doing

I am also glad on the commitment in working. I have been checking my files and what i would
    want you to do for me next week is to run some errands out to some of the orphanage
    home, I do that every month . The funds will be in form of Cashiers check or company check ,
    and it will be sent over to you from our numerous and generous donators.I have some list to email
    you once you received the funds,You will make some arrangements by
    buying some toys for the orphanage home ,for the kids in the nearest store around you so you can mail them out.
    I will get you more information on that,I will like you to get back to
    me with your

Contact Details such as:

Full Name:
    Contact Address NO P.O BOX:
    City:
    State:
    Zip-Code:
    Phone Number:
    Sex:
    Yes or no :

Once I have received your contact information, I will get back to you
    with the task for next week,Understand you will also be paid as well
    as its important

I am Located in San Diego, Ca
    You can reach me on my direct number (858)-206-4854 leave a message if I am not around.
    I plan to go for a business trip soon, but I will want us to get to work before I travel.
    Dr. Andy Smith

-----

The email it came from was [email protected] and [email protected].

When the check came it was from Dennis Bucanhan.
    Last edited by lnkeesee; 11-09-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Thank you to everyone for such valuable information. I received an email after posting for a Personal Asst job at "Kleis Events Company" last week. It was the only personal assistant positioin I've ever applied for so I'm inclined to believe it came from someone USING their name or that the company itself is nonexistent. The email, though very impersonal, attempts to give the impression that it is very friendly and personal (if that makes sense). I searched and found the so-called company website but with little more than a few blurbs on each page. No customer testimonials, etc (as you would expect with any company sponsoring "events"). I also searched for the name of the individual mentioned on the site, who also happens to be the "Dr. Scott" who sent me the email from "overseas" (more specifically Malaysia). No need for me to post the actual email, as I've read the same jargon verbatim in SEVERAL other posts. It seems quite innocent since they are not asking for much more than name, addy, phone and no real personal data but it just smelled of scam to me. Glad I checked here and even happier that there are such kind people out there taking the time to share their stories and help others who are having a hard time with the search and desperate for work. This proves that though there are these despicable individuals out there scamming the innocent and unsuspecting, ruining lives, there's just as many good people in the world willing to look out. Thank you and please beware of emails from: SCOTT HUPER (trolling c***erbuilder) for a personal assistant to mail him packages and "run errands" (what the hell is that, anyway?) Though the name is DR SCOTT, the email came from [email protected] and it was entitled "FULL DESCRIPTION ON PERSONAL ASSISTANT YOU APPLIED FOR ON C***ERBUILDER" I hope I was able to help someone NOT make a mistake and fall for this nonsense.

@ lnkeesee
    Thanks for posting up the email from that scammer. While sending fake checks for a variety of reasons is an all too common scam these days, usually the scammer wants the victim to immediately cash the check and send the money to the scammer via Western Union or moneygram. Yours wanted you to purchase items, probably laptops, ipads, cell phones, electronic goods and send them on to him, that is a new version and it needs all the exposure it can get.

@ Duly Informed
    Glad you found this thread before losing money to a scammer and thanks for posting up the email address that scammer is using. As you found out, scammers will use and re-use the same cut-n-pasted stock emails again and again but will change their email address frequently, depending on how many victims send complaining emails or when a do-gooder calls gmail/hotmail/yahoo and has the email address shut down, thinking that doing so will slow down a scammer (it doesn't).

As you know, whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer

Has anyone seen this one?

Hello,

My name is James Clare, I am a Mission Australia(USA) Regional Coordinator and also
    a Business Tycoon. I'm looking for someone that can be trusted and reliable to work very
    well and with good understanding. I apologize for randomly contacting you as I got your email
    address from a Job survey in which you provided your email address for future participation.
    This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions
    and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need
    someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.

As my personal assistant, your activities among others will include:

*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
    *Scheduling programmes, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
    *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.
    *Basic wage is $1000 a week .

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:

*Good planning, communication and organization skills
    *Must be honest, reliable & dependable
    *Excellent verbal & written communication skills
    *Must have strong problem solving skills
    *Must be organized & extremely detail oriented
    *Experience working with the internet, email, MS Excel and MS Word
    *Ability to multi-task and self manage 24/7 mindset
    *A willingness to do whatever needs to be done is a must

NOTE: The above qualification requirements can also be learned if you are willing to take up the challenges.

Kindly respond if interested in the Offer!

Very Respectfully,
    James Clare
    Mission Australia (USA).

I have found that most of the scams are coming out of Africa or the UK.

@ lujones06
    Thanks for posting up that email from a "cash the fake check" type scammer.

You could post up the email address that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

I have found that most of the scams are coming out of Africa or the UK.
    Scams are world-wide and come from every country on the globe. However, some are more common in certain regions. "Webcam girls" are common in Southeast Asia, "pay cash for visas, immigration fees" are common in Canada and the UK, "cash the fake check" is more common in the US and Western Africa, "pay for non-existent goods" is common from China and the "pay the fee for an interview" type scam are gaining ground in India and countries close to India. That being said, every type of scam can be found in every country.

I would be very hesitant of anyone that would hire me without talking to me. There are 1000's of people out of work now why would she email a total stranger.
    I just recieved an email similiar to yours today. I was not looking for a job and do not have a resume on the internet.

Have your heard of "mosaic identity theft"? It is when a person takes a little information from a bunch of people and puts it together as one person. It is becoming more and more common.
    If you think you want more information about this ask her more questions.
    1. phone number
    2. place of busines
    3.Better Bussines Bureau
    You will discover the more questions you ask that eventually she will stop contacting you. Why? because it is a scam!

Good Luck! Your instinct had redflags come up. Trust that!.:sun_smiley:

Hi. I have spent loads of time on-line looking for 'at home/virtual assistant' jobs. I am a bit wary of anyone who uses shocking English grammar and punctuation. Good luck with looking for work, it seems to be impossible to find!

Hi everyone,

I applied for a job on a online job site and got a reply from a Richard Diego, stating that he owned a furniture company below is his email

Hello Trustee PA,

My name is Richard Diego, originally from Brazil, but I have spent most of my life in United Kingdom, Finland and United States. I'm into furniture business and I have been pretty successful in all my investment I invest my finances but I have decided to employ a talented hard working candidate as my PA for a full time job here in the UK to be my eyes watching my UK clients while I am away. I have offices in Finland, US and before the end of the year we will be launching new offices in France and Philippines. We deal with all kinds of office furniture’s such as reception room furnitures,meeting rooms furnitures,office storage furnitures,office desking furniture e.t.c.

My everyday schedules are always occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy personal admin assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities. However I just left UK last week and I’m in the United States to monitor a new furniture store warehouse project under construction and I'll also be spending another 2 weeks in Paris France from February 4th to monitor the new furniture store warehouse before returning to the United Kingdom by February 18th.

Congratulations on your PA application that was received and approved by our HR office section. I believe you are already aware of the opening up of a new store in Paris France and Philippines, hence these two new stores will be your primary assignments and you will be provided with the paper work as its ready for preparation with all required details. It is my pleasure to inform you that work is starting in earnest this week. Your basic salary will be £1520 Bi-Weekly which equals to £760 per week;£36k-£40k/yearly;£19/hr;8hrs/day;Monday-Friday (5 DAYS).

Do take note that this position is not an office based for now until I arrive by Feb 18th because of my frequent travels and tight schedules. The first 1 month will be a full time work from home office station and the flexibility means that there will be busy weeks than others. Afterwards all home office equipments bought would be moved by a mover to your office upon my arrival. If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra time while you get busy doing some other important assignment. As I have said, I do have some paperwork and a number of unattended documents which you can immediately assist me with this week. Please be inform that this job is a direct email employment job based on your received CV and not an interview job but I could give you a phone call whenever I am free to handle a phone.

We don't want to inconvenient your finances by asking you to purchase the needed office equipment yourself or a charge back to the company's account to create your home office work station. So it's our responsibility to make provision for the funds to purchase the items for you. We are responsible to provide most of the office equipments so we don't depend on your personal office equipments for your home use. Please send your full name, full address and phone numbers again for validation when replying to this email.

The list of office equipments below is what you will be purchasing for your home office work station and I will be providing the funds to purchase these items. Before we have funds sent to your address I would want you to carry out a price survey research online or in stores for the prices/features of the listed equipments below and reply with the total cost. I understand there are various online stores available on the internet to compare prices so do your research on the best available prices and include the names of the stores for my personal use.

1)Printer : Brother MFC-9840CDW All-In-One-Printer
    2)Shredder :Fellowes C-120Ci 100% Jam Proof Cross-Cut Shredder
    3)Personal Laptop : Apple Macbook White 13" 2.4GHz
    4)Internet_Access:Monthly Internet Bills.....
    5)Laminator: GBC HeatSeal H312 12.5-Inch
    6)Paper Cutter: Fellowes Plasma A3 Heavy Use Guillotine
    7)Cabinet: SentrySafe Fire-Safe 2-Drawer Insulated Vertical File,17-1/4 inches wide by 23-1/4x28h
    8)Calculator: TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

It is our duty to provide all necessary office equipments delivered to you so we can have your home office fully set up. FYI you are not expected to use your personal money for any kind of purchase for the purchase of the lists so wait until I instruct the funds sent out to you before proceeding to buy the equipments. But I most inform you before you get started that if you want to quit working with us then we have to send one of our mover to pick up all our office equipments bought at your address.

Note that this job will not consume much time and you will be free most of the week. But when duty calls its paramount that you answer and get things done in a timely and orderly manner. You will be provided with all you need to work at our expenses and when any duty comes up all needed instructions & information will be provided for you in PDF to your email until you have fully mastered my needs and how things should be done. I hope to read from you on the prices and features of the equipments within 24hrs.Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you on the total cost of all office equipments first thing Tuesday morning.

Kind Regards,

Richard Diego

the email address is [email protected]

He has also been calling me (im in the UK) from what he is calling his US mobile he even sent me the number.

No he has emailed me stating that a client will be sending me a payment for some purchases and I am to bank the cheque if i do not get a reply to my confirmation of receipt email and bank the cheque then forward the money to his project manager in the Philippines!

I am guessing this is a scam im tempted to call the number he called me from???

Thanks for every ones post it has been very helpfull

Hi Everyone,

I have received similar Email. First time when i have read it, i couldn't believed that someone wants pay me money in advance and send me money for the shopping if i have never seen him before. I am form the UK and i was looking for work so i have posted ad on gumtree.com and i have received:

Hello,
    How are you and how is the Family ? are you available to work? i need to get some things done, are you honest and can work , i pay you 300 every week, get back to me and let me give you more information asap.

And my answer was:

Hello.

I am very well. Thank You. Yes i am available to work, if you can only tell me bit more about the job. Thank you for you mail anyway.

Warmest Regards.
    Lucas

Then he:

Hello,

I am in need of a personal assistant,I would love to meet up with you
    to talk about this job but I am currently away on business. I am presently out
    for a short business trip so there will be no interview. I will
    pre-pay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and letter
    forwarded to any post office close to you. If you will be unable to
    stay at your house to get my mails, so that you can pick it up at
    your convenience. if you have to, When you get my mails; you are
    required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to
    put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have mails mailed
    to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the letters
    to reveal its content. The content of the and some i do some
    shopping which you will help me do

All expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work between
    15 and 20hrs
    a month. How much will you charge per week? I will pay 300
    weekly for this
    position. That is not a bad offer is it? I need your service because I am
    constantly out of town. I work in Oil and Gas and I own an Art
    Gallery in Italy. I will return by MAY Ending , 2011 so this
    process will be going- on
    till i get back If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I
    return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term.

Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. Hope to hear I will
    email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy
    packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. You will
    be shopping for Electronics and clothings. I will provide you my personal UPS
    account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to
    UPS and shipping charges will be applied to the account. I will provide clear
    set of instructions for each task I need done as well as the funds to
    cover them.
    If I were to mail you payment to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your
    service, where would you want it mailed to? Kindly fill the Short form
    below and send
    it back to me.

Full Name:
    Full Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip Code:
    mobile Phone:
    Get back to me with the required details above , So that the
    travelers check payment can be forward to you as soon as possible and
    I will
    appreciate quick response from you. Thanks and please get back to me asap and
    confirm this mail asap.

Your Sincerely

And i wrote to him:

Hi there.

The offer sound good to me. But before i send you my details , i don't want to be rude but i have got lots of bad experience with the similar mails.And it would be great if you'll tell me what is your name.

Kind Regards.
    Lukas

Then he answered:

lol. my name?

Then me:

Its good to know who you work for. Isn't it ? You see. I told you i had lots of bad experience with similar mails. Look you want to give me a job without any interview. How do you know that you can trust me? Don't take all of this wrong. I hope you understand what i mean.

Warmest Regards.

Then he:

sure, and am n ot sure i want to offer you the job again.

So after his mail i thought ok i am not risking if i will give him details. So i gave him my details. And then he answered:

Thanks for the details. Great to hear from you, .The Job will be
    assigned to you immediately without any delay alright. As my assistant
    you will resume work with helping me on errands, sorting out my
    delivers and packages since I am not available and make payments on my
    behalf. You will be properly briefed in order to carry out every task
    appropriately. I believe we started the purchase with TRUST, HONESTY
    AND SOUND MIND..! Please assure me of you trust, honesty and
    commitment. I will make arrangement with my associate to send payment
    to you in Bank Draft for your first salary and also to carry out your
    first assignment. You will be informed once the payment has been sent
    and what you are to do with the remaining money after deducting your
    salary. I hope we have an understanding ?., Thanks for the
    co-operation and understanding in this transaction / Work Assigned you
    are to carry out, Thanks once for your effort .
    I will get back to you immediately the Money is sent to you it will be
    send to you via UPS COURIER SERVICE Or Post Mail Service alright which
    will take 4 to 5 working days for the payment to get to your
    destination alright , I will get back to you immediately the Payment
    is send to you as soon as possible this week ..!
    N/B........ Please get set and please I don't want the situation where
    by the payment will be send to you and said you are not Interested
    again I will never allow that at all please just get set and consider
    you have getting a per-time job already for yourself Okay. I would be
    delighted to hear from you as soon as possible for confirmation that
    you received this mail from me .

And me:

I understand everything and i am waiting to hear from you soon.

And him:

Hello, i just want let you know that funds for your first assignment as been sent out to you and you will get it in the post. let me know when you get it so i can instruct you on what, also you will be getting for first salary also

And me today:

Hello. I have received yours letter today, so i will have that money on my account probably after the weekend. So i am waiting for your next instructions what to do next..

So i have received cheque for 1880.00 Pounds. And i was thinking about this all the time who gives money to the strangers ?? So i have typed in google personal assistand scam, and i saw lots of websites with similar mails, and just couple of words were different rest was this same. So the check is in the bin. I was aware because my friend was selling the car trough the autotrader website and he had similar mails.

That is his e-mail: [email protected]

And pictures of the cheque :
    http://img195.imageshack.us/i/img0635rm.jpg/
    http://img651.imageshack.us/i/img0636n.jpg/
    http://img211.imageshack.us/i/img0637f.jpg/
    http://img707.imageshack.us/i/img0638pn.jpg/

Strange was that he have send the letter from london(stamp on the envelope) but he said that he is abroad. Strange ain't it?

So what do you think people? What shall i do next? Shall i reply him f*****ck you etc.?

Or maybe tell the police?
    Last edited by buczer2; 01-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buczer2 View Post
    So what do you think people? What shall i do next? Shall i reply him f*****ck you etc.?

Or maybe tell the police?
    Thanks for posting up the "job posting" from that scammer. Making a scammer's scam googlable is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post and then does not become a victim because you took the time to post. Thanks!

As all you have is one of the scammer's fake names and free email address, there is almost nothing law enforcement can do. You don't even know what country that scammer is located in.

What you can do is make the scammer think you are a perfect victim and make him spend hours emailing you, spend money on cyber cafe time, minutes on his phone and sending you homemade pictures. Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called scambaiting. If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, ask questions and learn all about that hobby.

Thx for you answer Meri Widow .So i will find something about scambaiting and probably that will become my new hobby.

As much as we would like these types of things to be legitimate opportunities, they are not.

Unfortunately, this type of scam is not only used with jobs but also with apartments. One of my friends daughters was looking for a place to live and replied to an ad advertising an apartment on a well known free advertising site. The place was advertised well below market.

The advertiser responded that they were out of the country and could not show the apartment now but she could go ahead and send the deposit and they would send her the keys. Of course it really wasn't even their apartment to rent out.

It is really shameful how low people will go to cheat others.

Hi buczer2
    I applied for a job on gumtree the same as you...........I received a cheque for £3,000 in my name from a company called GRA Limited so I googled them and contacted the company to see if they had actually sent the cheque and as I thought it was fraudulent! I was then advised to contact the police and I had to give them copies of the emails and the cheque and it is now with the Fraud Investigation Department............the police said that they probably will not catch the person as they send them around to so many different people before it actually gets banked that it is almost impossible to track where they come from.

If you need anymore info let me know :)