+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Personal Assistant Scam?

Quote Originally Posted by kzuggi View Post
    * Dealing with incoming calls, post, email, and faxes
    The important word in that sentence is "post", as in mail, as in packages send to you.

Translation: You accept packages purchased with stolen credit cards at YOUR home address. Then you are suppose to use a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number to send the electronics, clothing and jewelry overseas. When the websites, credit card owners and UPS/FedEx discover the fraud, you get the real life job of paying back all of them. Then the local law enforcement comes knocking asking why are you fencing stolen merchandise for someone you never met, don't know their real life name and have no idea even what country they really live in.

You will be paid in advance for this position..........and you will also be required to do some shopping for me. All expenses and taxes will be handled by me....... I will be emailing you a list of office supplies you are to purchase from sears, OfficeMax, Wal-Mart or any other stationery stores around you. Please note, You won’t be paying for any of these supplies as I will be sending the payment to cover your first week salary and the supplies.
    Translation: Cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion as your "pay". When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Or you purchase blank check paper, special printer and ink and print fake checks for that scammer. You are suppose to open an account at UPS/FedEx in YOUR name, use a stolen credit card that the scammer gives you to "pay" the account. When UPS/FedeX discover YOU opened an account with a stolen credit card, you get the real life job of paying them back and talking to the local law enforcement agency as to why you are dabbling in credit card fraud.

Looking forward to a good working relationship with you.

Regards,
    Lee Mann.
    Translation: Looking forward to you (the victim) sending me (the scammer) packages of electronics, your cash and printing checks so I can steal more money from victims.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

If you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
    6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake reshipping job", "fraud Western Union check scam", "money mule job scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Yes I too think it is a scam... I got 2 Identical emals that closely mimic yours and then a third that was close but different enough that I didnt notice the connection right away. I sent request for information to 4 different ads for PA's and got back identical responses with 2 differnt names. I did respond to the third and now I am worried what is going to happen. Two emails said I would be picking up and shipping pills. That I would be receiving money that I needed to deposit in my name then send checks from my account to clients. The third email was very wordy and the money/check thing was hidden in the email among the duties, that he was a lawyer, and that I would be "processing client payments and writing checks for the bills. Oh and that I would be meeting him at a later date because he was out of town "the reason he needed someone state side" to run the errands. The names on the emails were Mark Miller, Mack Peter, Alex Cypher.

Quote Originally Posted by twilightdiamonds View Post
    Hey everyone,

I got an e-mail about a job offer saying they had found my e-mail address from a website on the internet. I do have my resume & e-mail posted on some legit sites advertising that I am available to work at home part-time, so I e-mailed back requesting more information on the position (as I know there are a few legit personal assistant jobs out there) as well as which website they found my resume/e-mail on. This was the reply I received. Let me know what you all think, it screams scam to me! (The "Microsoft Office List" that she claims she got my address from I have never actually heard of!)

Dear Mandy,

Thanks so much for the swift response,concerning how i got your email i got it from Microsoft email list and i am offering you the job which because i need a personal assistant as i stated in the email that i sent to you. This is a straight forward part time employment opportunity and does not require any special skills. Am self employeed and you will be working solely as my personal assistant only and
    please do note that i do not have a website nor do i own web
    address,my business is solely owned and managed by me.Presently i need all the help i can get so here is a list of thing i will hope you read and understand again....

**You will not be working with any company as you are sole employed as my "Personal Assistant" and would be working from your home.
    ** You will be paid a constant $1000 monthly with an offer to make extra $300 - $500 extra once your honesty as been established and willing to work full time which can be decided after the first few months.

**Your monthly pay will be sent to you via Western Union to avoid the hustle of dealing with a check all you have to is go over to any Western Union store around you with the info i will provide you with monthly and your salary will be paid to you in cash.

**You will need to get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business size checks} and you can get that from any Office Depot,Staples or Wal-Mart around you.

**you will need to sign up for a yahoo account so that we can chat as i am hearing impaired and can not use the phone adequately.

** All you will be doing for me is mailing this checks that i will
    tutor you how to make to a daily list of my client.The list will be sent to you via email daily.I will be paying for the postage as well,plus you will only have to work only one or two hours on your job according to the hours that suit you best during the day.

**So please do go to any Office Depot,Staples or Wal-Mart store and get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business check paper} so that you can start the tutorial.

**Please note that if you do not have the $50 to get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business check paper} you are not ready to work with me so there is no point in replying my mail.

** I will need following details should you be interested in the
    position as i need all the help i can get and will love that you start right away ...
    FULL NAME....
    FULL ADDRESS & ZIP CODE...
    CELL PHONE NUMBER .......
    You will simply be dispatching issued checks to a list of my clients daily ,please visit the Office Depot,Staples or Wal-Mart store to get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business check paper} so that you can start the tutorial soon.Your swift response needed

Regards
    Debbie Symmond. Comcaststore Inc.

Got the same E-mail Word for word from [email protected]
    and then from
    [email protected]

here's mine. received a couple of these now:

from david lucas
    to
    date
    subject JOB DETAILS...PART TIME P\A JOB
    mailed-by yahoo.com
    signed-by yahoo.com

Hello

Thanks for your interests in the PA position,

I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am
    currently away on a business trip but there is a test which i will
    like you to go through because i need a capable Personal Assistant.I
    am in Ireland so there will be no interview except for the form you
    will fill below.

1.Have you ever been a Personal Assistant ?

2.If you have been a Personal Assistant before,how long and was it
    for a company or an individual?

3.Can you communicate effective and efficiently?

4.Doyou have a job as at
    now?

5.Will you be able to run errands 2 hours per day for and will be
    needed 3 days per week?

I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will
    also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable
    to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a
    post office near you and then you can pick it up at your
    convenience.When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail
    them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out
    of you pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your
    house and do my shopping.

You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content. The
    content of the packages are computer and electronics, clothing's
    business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be
    covered by me. You will work between 15 and 20 hrs a month. I will
    pay $400 per week.I need your service because I am constantly out of
    town on business as I own a electronics and clothing store in
    Ireland but want to open another store in US.I will return to USA in June
    so this process
    will be on going till then. If you don't mind,
    I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the
    possibility of making this long term. Well, let me know if you are
    able to handle the position.

I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am
    ready. No heavy packages are involved! You can do the shopping at
    any nearest stores. You will be shopping for Electronics and
    clothing's. I will provide you my personal UPS account number for
    Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and
    shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide
    clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the
    funds to cover them.

If I were to mail you money to do my shopping plus up front payment
    for your service, where would you want it mailed to? Your full info
    for check,money orders,bank transfer or cash payment:

Full Name:
    Full
    Address:
    (NO P.O.BOX)
    City:
    State:
    Zip Code:
    Phone Number:(Cell):
    Home:
    Present Job:
    Attach a Photo of you:

The address of the nearest Post Office to you for receiving packages:

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Post Code:

Will be expecting to hear from you soon to let me know if you will
    be willing to handle my business on my behalf before I return.Note
    that this job is 100% legitimate.You can open all packages to
    confirm how legit they are.Thanks and have a nice day.

Regards,

David

Email response sent to "Michael Gomez":

"Dearest Michael Gomez/Christian Moore/Andy Smith/James Clare/ect...

Scamming those who are in dire straits is unspeakably wretched. How you can prey upon perfectly innocent people seeking honest employment is beyond the scope of civilized comprehension.

Please go to hell.

--Lynsey Menicucci"

I almost fell for this too! I feel really dumb. It was posted on my college job website as a babysitting/personal assistant position, so I responded to it and sent my resume. I got back a very similar email to the ones on this thread. I accepted the "job" and quickly sent an email saying I wouldn't be able to do it after all when I figured it out. I didn't give them my social or bank info. Do you think they can steal my identity with just my name and contact info? Yikes. I am a little too trusting. And the name they used was Jenifer Vasquez.

naw. you will be okay. they are just looking for a sucker to do some business with. they know it's not you.

Quote Originally Posted by krf3 View Post
    Do you think they can steal my identity with just my name and contact info?
    Nope. That type of scammer just wants you to cash his fake check and send him your money. Doubtful he even read your reply or remembers your name. Just ignore and block any more copy/paste stock emails from him and he will go away.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake job", "fraud Western Union scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

hello i just got this email from *****slist i know that *****slist has alot of scams on it but i did post my resume any way on it out of desperation this is the email that i got back what do you guys think :

Detailed Job Description – PERSONAL ASSISTANT
    You have been picked as my possible Executive / Personal Assistant after reviewing your resume. I'm looking for someone that can be trusted, energetic and reliable at work and with good understanding.
    This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them,my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can meet up with my irregular timings.As my Personal Assistant,your activities amongst other things will include;
    *Running personal errands
    *Coordinate special domestic and international travel plans.
    *Oversee Outlook calendars to prioritize appointments and schedule meetings
    *Maintain Personal Bank Accounts and keeping me up to date with them.
    *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..
    Basic wage is $700 Weekly.
    I own a young non-profit Humanitarian Foundation creating humanitarian projects that focus on human rights and community development. As part of this Humanitarian Foundation, Combat Relief meets the special needs of veterans and their families by providing financial grants to established programs and initiatives dedicated to meeting the challenges they face when returning to their communities
    I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this point,as I am presently in New Zealand, I will be back in about three Weeks.I think you're the right person for this position after going through your resume,Please note that this position is not office based for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time work from home and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others but basically you will work between 15 and 20hrs a month, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week.If you can manage your time properly,this job may even give you some extras while you do something else on the side.
    As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible.I do have lots of works piled up presently and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship and hopefully when I meet with you after my arrival we can talk about the possibility of making this long term. I'm online most of the time I prefer we contact each other through E-mails or IM (Instant Messenger), but if there is need for me to call, I will and i promise to be a good boss in as much as you are diligent. I will need to update your contact info with my clients from Fortune 100 Corporate Organization. I will like you to get back to me with your Contact Details as it will be used for payment/delivery purposes :
    First Name :
    Last Name :
    Street Address :
    City, State, Zip Code :
    Cell Phone Number:
    Home Phone Number:
    Current Occupation :
    IM /Email Address :

Once I have received your contact information, I will get back to you with the task for this week , you will also be paid upfront as its important you help me handle some errands before i get back from my business trip . Hope I am clear with that.
    I will await your response and also let me have the above info as it should appear on payment.

Regards
    Nichole Jackson

*Maintain Personal Bank Accounts and keeping me up to date with them.
    Translation: Open a bank account for the scammer to deposit money from a hi-jacked paypal account into, then withdrawal the money and send it to the scammer.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.

Translation: Accept packages purchased with stolen credits at your home address and reship the electronics onto the scammer.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..
    Translation: Cash a fake check and send your money to the scammer.

100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money and maybe your freedom.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion. When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Or next email will demand you accept a fake bank deposit. The deposit will be from a stolen credit card, hi-jacked paypal account or phished bank account. You are then suppose to withdrawal the money before your bank realizes the transfer was made with stolen money. You are suppose to send the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion. When the credit card/paypal/bank account owner realizes their money is in your account, your bank reverses the transfer now you get the real life job of paying back the bank for all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

The the local law enforcement agency comes knocking asking why are you accepting money from people you don't know, have never met and have no idea in what country they reside. By now your bank account is permanently closed and you are "black listed" by all financial institutions as someone who laundries money for criminals via Western Union or moneygram.

Or the next email will demand you accept packages purchased with stolen credit cards at YOUR home address. Then you are suppose to use a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number to send the electronics, clothing and jewelry overseas. When the websites, credit card owners and UPS/FedEx discover the fraud, you get the real life job of paying back all of them. Then the local law enforcement comes knocking asking why are you fencing stolen merchandise for someone you never met, don't know their real life name and have no idea even what country they really live in.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "[email protected] gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement offical can be extremely funny.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "money mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

So, stumbled into this scam a few days ago. Fortunately I realized what was going on upon their first email, but I wanted what they sent me to be out there so it would be google-able for any future victims.

The actual add:

STILLWATER, PERSONAL ASSISTANCE NEEDED We are looking for an Office Assistan. Duties include greeting clients, answering phones, and routing mail, data entry and retrieve, scheduling and calender maintenance,Ideal candidates will have proven customer service skills in an administrative setting and experience with Microsoft Office applications email resumes to [email protected] IF INTERESTED...

After I emailed my resume, I was sent this email:

Hello Applicant,

Thank you for the reply regarding my job post on the newspaper (Personal Assistant) .I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on a business trip but there is a test which i will like you to go through because i need a capable Personal Assistant.I am in Texas, so therewill be no interview except for the form you will fill below.

1.Have you ever been a Personal Assistant Or Sales Representative ?
    2.If you have been a Personal Assistant before Or Sales
    Representative,how long and was it for a company or an individual?
    3.Can you communicate effective and efficiently?
    4.Do you have a job as at now(Note it does not disturb your present Job if you have one)?
    5.Will you be able to run errands 1 hour per day for and will be needed 3 days per week?

I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience.When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out of you pocket, all you have to do is have packagesshipped to your house and do my shopping.

You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content. The content of the packages are computer and electronics, clothing's business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered ** me. You will work between 15 and 20 hrs a month. I will pay $400 per week.I need your service because I am constantly out of town on business as I own a electronics and clothing store in Texas as-well but want to open another store in Your Area. this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long-term. Well,

let me know if you are able to handle the position.

I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy packages are involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores.
    You will be shopping for Electronics and clothing's. I will provide you my personal UPS account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well thefunds to cover them.

If I were to mail you money to do my shopping plus up front payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? Your full info
    for check,money orders payment:

Full Name:
    Full Address: (NO P.O.BOX)
    City:
    State:
    Zip Code:
    Phone Number:(Cell):
    Home:
    Present Job:

Will be expecting to hear from you soon to let me know if you will be willing to handle my business on my behalf before I return.
    nice day.

Regards,
    David Johnson.

Although I didn't respond, I got this email the next day.

Hello Michelle Richards ,

This message is to formerly inform you that you shall be carrying out your first evaluation for the company this week and the payment package from our finance department will be getting to you this week.

NOTE:...It is very important you get back to me Today letting me know you're Receiving all my messages so i can be sure you're Ready for
    this Job and also this will Prove you're Ready for the Next Assignment.

Am glad to Inform you that you will be receiving a payment envelop which will be used for your assignment and this payment envelop will be delivered today via FEDEX . Below is the transaction Details.

Transaction Details from FEDEX :
    ------------------------------

Tracking Number : 797417522740

The Check is from our finance company and was issued to cover the project bills for your wages and Assignment:-

You should first take it to your bank and cash immediately, Deduct your first wages which is $400 then the remaining balance should be used for the assignment below.

However, I am donating to the charity. I contacted the charity home, and I was given the list of the items to be bought, the items are much and will cost a lot to get them shipped,so we have reached an accord, They will be getting the items themselves. Once the paycheck has been cashed you are to deduct $400 for your pay for this week and send the balance through Western Union Instant Money Transfer to the information Below.You can find any Western Union locations close to you. Below is the Orphanage Western Union information to send the Money.

Receivers Information:
    ----------------------------------
    Western Union Details Below:-

RECEIVER NAME: Robert Herron
    RECEIVER ADDRESS: 325 Fairview Ave
    Winchester,Va,22601

The Western Union charges are to be deducted from the funds , When the Money has been transferred Let me have the information's Below

1) Senders Name and Address
    2) 10 Digit MTCN Control Number
    3) The amount transferred after deducting Western union charges.

However, I will be waiting to read back from you ASAP today and i also have some other assignment for you to do ** next week.

I want you to be rest assured that I'll never stress you at all in any assignment given to you and i promise to pay your fees weekly as we both agreed.

Take good care of yourself and have a blessed day ahead.

Thanks .
    Personal Assistant
    David Johnson.

Unfortunately, since my address and phone number were on my resume, they actually went ahead and sent me the package and I got that today. I just threw it out. He then started calling me after not hearing from when I didn't respond to his two identical emails he sent me this morning. I kindly informed him that I knew he was attempting to scam me and he should probably give it up. He hung up. Finally the emails have stopped. I honestly have no idea what I could have done differently, but yeah, that's it. Hopefully if he tries again that person will have the sense to google some of the stuff he sends and find this post. I'm assuming that's the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmrar View Post
    So, stumbled into this scam a few days ago. Fortunately I realized what was going on upon their first email, but I wanted what they sent me to be out there so it would be google-able for any future victims.
    Thanks!!

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

I kindly informed him that I knew he was attempting to scam me and he should probably give it up. He hung up. Finally the emails have stopped. I honestly have no idea what I could have done differently, but yeah, that's it. Hopefully if he tries again that person will have the sense to google some of the stuff he sends and find this post. I'm assuming that's the best I can do.
    Besides "scambaiting" what you did, telling the scammer 'no' and ignoring him is the best option. And, yes, several potential victims will google, find your post and be so happy you posted what you did. While not all potential victims that read your post will sign up here and say 'thanks' they will be thanking you in their heart for saving them from an expensive lesson.

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the pastime of scambaiting.

@zwilda

I got the EXACT Same email.

I received your application for the job position I advertised on *****slist, kindly read this e-mail carefully to know what this position entail. It is imperative that I find the perfect person for the job and I'm hoping will be the best you can be.

Before I go any further, you should know a few things about me. I'm Larry Long, I'm 51 and I'm married and blessed to father 3 bundles of joy. I run my family owned farm mainly, I also have a handful of investments and businesses of my own particularly in the real estate market and as a private lender. I'm also a Certified Payroll Specialist working for a number of companies within and outside the US as a private eye/analyst in their payroll activities. I travel very frequently trying to market our produce as well as expand my business and sometimes there is a work overload for me, this is the more reason I'm looking to find someone who is efficient, self-motivated, organized, a good communicator with an ability to multi-task under pressure and who can help me keep up to date with all of my activities amidst my ever busy schedule.

It is important for you to note that you are being hired ** me personally, not ** my family or any other businesses that I represent, and although most of your duties will be centered around my home and the activities relating to these businesses, you will be working for me as my personal and administrative assistant. I will be personally responsible for your wage; all correspondences, findings and queries would be made and promptly reported to me personally no matter the circumstances. The position is part-time and home-based, you will need to set up a space for a home-office with basic office equipments if you don't already have; we will discuss the costs of setting this up as we move along. Most importantly, you need to have a regular internet and telephone access, with this, I can easily convey instructions no matter where I am on what I need to be done at a particular time.

Your activities will include but not limited to;

* Reconciling bank statements, coding and entering accounts payable;
    * Preparing payments (checks) for signature;
    * Invoicing, managing accounts receivable and/or customer account collections;
    * Inventory control, file management;
    * Purchasing needs, procurement of equipment, supplies and services as needed;
    * Receive Payments from clients who want to attend the forth coming workshops or Live shows and are willing to pay via Certified Check Or Money Orders .

Basic wage is $600 a week after tax. Any extra personal expenses (transport, gas, etc) incurred ** you while on an errand or otherwise will also be reimbursed ** me at the end of each working week.

This position is very flexible and it is difficult judging the exact number of hours you will be doing a week, however bear it in mind that there will be busier weeks than others but the pay will always be steady. Working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings. There is also a very sensitive issue on trust, dedication and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

I'm currently in England now attending a seminar, in the mean time we will begin unofficially pending my arrival because I have a number of important things you could begin work on immediately. Your wage remains intact during this period so I'm hoping you can be available immediately, it certainly can act as a stable foundation to our impending working relationship. As soon as I get back though, we will arrange a meeting and set up a proper interview. So at this point i will need you to help accept payment from clients paying with certified check who want to attend the forth coming workshops or Live shows, This won't cost you anything. All you need to do is get your 10 percantage out of payment as pay for 1st assignment. and if you are deligent and upright we continue to next assignment and increase your pay wave if need be.

Due to the volume of employment applications received, I will require the following details about yourself to filter applicants and for a personal record update and for the delivery of the payment i will require the information bellow.;

Full Names
    Full Contact Address
    City
    State
    Zip Code
    Phone Number (H)
    Phone Number (M)
    Occupation (if any)
    Sex
    Martial status

Hope to hear from you soon.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Always believe in yourself and you'll surely achieve your common goals!

I can not even believe I let it go as far as it did.

He has the above info on me....am I in danger of having my identity stolen/computer hacked etc????

Should I be worried??

Quote Originally Posted by jfj802 View Post
    I can not even believe I let it go as far as it did.

He has the above info on me....am I in danger of having my identity stolen/computer hacked etc????

Should I be worried??
    The only thing to be worried about is the increased spam and scam emails you will receive. "Cash the fake check" type job scammers only want such information for 2 reasons, one, so they can have their "check mule" send you the fake check and two, so they can call and email you night and day to cash said fake check and send them your money. The worst this type of scammer can do is send horribly spelled, grammatically incorrect emails pretending to be the police or FBI.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "[email protected] gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement official can be extremely funny.

I applied for an administrative assistant position on *****slist and I get a response on that asking for the details below (Refer to 1st Email). I did send out the details asked for and he got back saying that he has sent a cashiers check for 3800$ which covers the costs for buying the equipment and my first payment.

The cashiers check has finally arrived and only then i smelt something wrong. So far, this contact has not asked me to deposit any money to any other account or transfer the balance. At the same time, why would anyone pay just like that. After reading through the topics, I am fairly certain that it is a scam but would want your advice/confirmation on what to do next.

Thanks

1st Email:

Hello,
    I am in receipt of your email with your inetrest in the job opening.I am an independent Real Estate Consultant looking for a personal assistant to run my errands while im out of the states.Im currently in dubai for some property inspection/constructions.

I am looking for a motivated, self-starter with a friendly and professional attitude.
    Job duties include:
    *Various errands
    *Property management
    *Filing
    *Faxing
    *Photocopying
    *Mail processing
    *Light typing
    *Answering phones; greeting clients
    *Photocopying and other special projects

Compensation: $550 weekly.

Note: This position is home base office work you can be in any location and work with me from your home and does not require you travelling out of town.
    For you to get started,i will like to know which of the following office equipments you have available at the moment. Its not a problem if you do not have any or all of the items.
    Kindly specify Yes or No in front of each item.
    All in 1 Printer:
    Laminator:
    Paper Cutter:

If Interested,fill the application below.
    First Name:
    Middle Name:
    Last Name:
    Address:
    City, State, Zip Code:
    Cell Phone Number:
    Home Phone Number:
    Email:

Hope to hear from you soon

2nd Email:
    How are you doing today?I have been very busy at the construction sites here.
    This is a notification that the first payment for your the job position as my PA will be delivered to you via Regular mail with stamp.
    It should arrive anytime from today 1st of September.
    I need you to be on the look out for it.
    Enclose in the envelope is a check amount $3,800 made out in your name from Pittsburgh,PA.
    The payment covers your weekly pay,purchase of some office items that you will be needing to get started and completion of the first assignment instruction that will be given to you.
    Kindly get back to me as soon as the payment envelope is delivered to you so that you can proceed with your first assignment.
    Once again your swift response to my emails will give me the assurance that we are still in a good working relationship.

100% scam, you are correct.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

Cease emailing that criminal and shred the check. In some areas having a fake check is illegal, even if the check is marked "void" or "fake".

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "supply company" while you "keep" a small portion. When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "[email protected] gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement official can be extremely funny.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "check mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

Thanks for posting up the information from that scammer.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.