+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Personal Assistant Scam?

Hey everyone,

I got an e-mail about a job offer saying they had found my e-mail address from a website on the internet. I do have my resume & e-mail posted on some legit sites advertising that I am available to work at home part-time, so I e-mailed back requesting more information on the position (as I know there are a few legit personal assistant jobs out there) as well as which website they found my resume/e-mail on. This was the reply I received. Let me know what you all think, it screams scam to me! (The "Microsoft Office List" that she claims she got my address from I have never actually heard of!)

Dear Mandy,

Thanks so much for the swift response,concerning how i got your email i got it from Microsoft email list and i am offering you the job which because i need a personal assistant as i stated in the email that i sent to you. This is a straight forward part time employment opportunity and does not require any special skills. Am self employeed and you will be working solely as my personal assistant only and
    please do note that i do not have a website nor do i own web
    address,my business is solely owned and managed by me.Presently i need all the help i can get so here is a list of thing i will hope you read and understand again....

**You will not be working with any company as you are sole employed as my "Personal Assistant" and would be working from your home.
    ** You will be paid a constant $1000 monthly with an offer to make extra $300 - $500 extra once your honesty as been established and willing to work full time which can be decided after the first few months.

**Your monthly pay will be sent to you via Western Union to avoid the hustle of dealing with a check all you have to is go over to any Western Union store around you with the info i will provide you with monthly and your salary will be paid to you in cash.

**You will need to get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business size checks} and you can get that from any Office Depot,Staples or Wal-Mart around you.

**you will need to sign up for a yahoo account so that we can chat as i am hearing impaired and can not use the phone adequately.

** All you will be doing for me is mailing this checks that i will
    tutor you how to make to a daily list of my client.The list will be sent to you via email daily.I will be paying for the postage as well,plus you will only have to work only one or two hours on your job according to the hours that suit you best during the day.

**So please do go to any Office Depot,Staples or Wal-Mart store and get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business check paper} so that you can start the tutorial.

**Please note that if you do not have the $50 to get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business check paper} you are not ready to work with me so there is no point in replying my mail.

** I will need following details should you be interested in the
    position as i need all the help i can get and will love that you start right away ...
    FULL NAME....
    FULL ADDRESS & ZIP CODE...
    CELL PHONE NUMBER .......
    You will simply be dispatching issued checks to a list of my clients daily ,please visit the Office Depot,Staples or Wal-Mart store to get the {Versa Check Gold 2008 and Business check paper} so that you can start the tutorial soon.Your swift response needed

Regards
    Debbie Symmond. Comcaststore Inc.

Re: Personal Assistant Scam?

You usual Nigerian 419 scam. Stay away from any "business" that requires to send/receive money through wire. Never ends well.

Mandy - You already have the info on the scam from Boris but I just want to say this about a Personal Assistant - they are people who are available more than 8 hours a day to do anything you need them to do. I had a "personal assistant" when I had three small children and a business to run alone. She worked from 7 am to 6 pm - and she did anything and everything I needed -in person - there's no other way to be a personal assistant. Steer clear of such offers - they are not a "work from home" position.

No legit job or money making opp is going to land in you inbox. I just delete them and never read them.

I have another possible scam. I received an unsolicited email (actually two came through). My warning system came up especially with the BAD english. Has anyone run into this? I have a bad feeling about this email. :zx11pissed:

Hi,
    My name is Mrs Stephanie Wilmore wife to Mr James Wilmore ,I came across your resume on Career Network saying you need employment.I'll need your services as a personal assistant for my business within the states. We just moved in to town a couple of days ago before embarking on a trip sponsored by my husband's company. Presently we're on vacation on board on an European line cruiser sponsored by my husband's company and we'll be back soon before the end of this month or at the very beginning of next month. I am a fashion designer, i design and make French wedding gowns, and I have numerous customers around the states.I work from home and i also supply stores with my products.I deal mainly in whole sales. I wish i had my website up already so that you can view some of my work but that's one of the reason why i need a P.A who will plan with me so that we can set everything up.
    Sandra is our only child and daughter and she plays a very important role in our family, ever since she was born,the family has never remained the same for good. There 're just the 4 (myself,my husband,my daughter and my husband's mom) of us in the house hopefully you will be the fifth person.I have an offer for you to be my personal assistant and to help with business related issues and advice, also to to take care of my business for me whenever am not around in person. You can send in your updated resume/references in your next email. I want to let you know that we're having much fun out here, we would have love to call you but the network on board is really poor because of the high tides for this particular period of the year.But we would call you as soon as we get a clearer reception. My daughter has been a little ill and she has been in the Intensive care Unit on board for
    the past two days, But I thank God she's is getting on fine and this will prompt us in coming home as soon as we get to shores.
    I and my husband want to put things in place so you can start immediately we arrive from our vacation.We would like to have a brief interview with you,answer the following questions.
    1)How many years of work experience do you have ?
    2) Do you smoke ?
    3)Do you do drugs ?
    4) What area are you located presently ?
    5)Do you have any disability ?
    . .............Below is our Offer and Requirements.........
    You'll be paid $800.00 weekly If you choose to receive your salaries monthly thats $3200 and its okay with us.
    1) You must be able to speak English Language..
    2)Is your partners in support of this position for you.
    3)You must have any references and achievements ?
    4)Ever been convicted ?? Doesn't matter to me as long as you have realize your past mistakes and now a changed person.
    I await your prompt response and as soon as i get your response, I will write back to let you know if you have the job or not.
    Regards.
    Mr.James Wilmore

Yeah, pretty sure this is a scam! I responded to a legit-looking *****slist Ad and got the following:

Hi,

My name is Mrs Kimberly Lievanoss wife to Mr Rob Lievanoss , I'll need your services as a personal assistant for my business within the states. We just moved in to town a couple of days ago before embarking on a trip sponsored by my husband's company. Presently we're on vacation on board on an European line cruiser sponsored by my husband's company and we'll be back soon before the end of this month or at the very beginning of next month. I am a fashion designer, i design and make French wedding gowns, and I have numerous customers around the states.I work from home and i also supply stores with my products.I deal mainly in whole sales. I wish i had my website up already so that you can view some of my work but that's one of the reason why i need a P.A who will plan with me so that we can set everything up.

Annie and Pat are only our twins daughters and they plays a very important role in our family, ever since they were born,the family has never remained the same for good. There 're just the 5 (myself,my husband,my twins daughter and my husband's mom) of us in the house hopefully you will be the sixth person.I have an offer for you to be my personal assistant and to help with business related issues and advice, also to to take care of my business for me whenever am not around in person. You can send in your updated resume/references in your next email. I want to let you know that we're having much fun out here, we would have love to call you but the network on board is really poor because of the high tides for this particular period of the year. But we would call you as soon as we get a clearer reception.Pat has been a little ill and she has been in the Intensive care Unit on board for the past two days, But I thank God she's is getting on fine and this will prompt us in coming home as soon as we get to shores.

I and my husband want to put things in place so you can start immediately we arrive from our vacation.We would like to have a brief interview with you,answer the following questions.

1)How many years of work experience do you have ?

2) Do you smoke ?

3)Do you do drugs ?

4) What area are you located presently ?

5)Do you have any disability ?

..............Below is our Offer and Requirements.........

You'll be paid $800.00 weekly If you choose to receive your salaries monthly thats $3200 and its okay with us.

1) You must be able to speak English Language..

2)Is your partners in support of this position for you.

3)You must have any references and achievements ?

4)Ever been convicted ?? Doesn't matter to me as long as you have realize your past mistakes and now a changed person.

I await your prompt response and as soon as i get your response, I will write back to let you know if you have the job or not.

Best Regards

Kimberly Lievanoss

sbecca29 - I responded to the same *****slist ad and got the same reply. This is the email you receive when you answer the first email, as I unsuspectingly did:

Hello Again,

It was nice to read from you again, thanks for keeping in touch. I hope you and your family is well ? We'd have loved to call you for a face-to-face interview but due to the present situation of things, we are unable to do this because i believe that is the best way. I'd like you to get back to me as soon as you can because the earlier the better and let me know your schedules and timing that best fits your plans.You'll be working for about Fifteen hours (15) hours weekly and below are your task/duties.

* Reading and replying emails from customers
    * Receiving of incoming calls & making of outgoing calls to customers
    * Taking proper care of sales records
    * Making sure the ready-made gowns are dispatched at the right time to
    the respective customers.
    * Receiving payment from customers
    * Sending out payment to my clients for supplies of raw materials

I hope and sure you'll be able to execute the above listed tasks. We already have a delivery truck driver who functions very well and all we need now is for this position to be occupied. Examining your resume and the questioner that has been answered, i feel you are fit into
    this position. I'd like to inform you that out of all the applications we have received, yours is the one I and my husband is quite pleased with and this means that you have finally secured the position and you can consider having an employment with us. As i have said earlier, we
    ought to have met you before making this position yours and becoming one of our employees but I won't have much time when i return, i already have loads of work on my table to attend to and i have been receiving series of emails from my customers. Without wasting time,
    we'd like you to start work as soon as we return or even prior our return. I believe i can trust you because of the kind of personality you have. I'll also have my husband call you as soon as we have a clear reception.

We want you to email us with the follow details so that we can create a file for you and place your record on our file.

Name :
    Address :
    City, State, Zip Code :
    Phone # (Home & Cell)
    Marital Status :
    Marital Status :
    Present Occupation :

The details above will also be used in processing your employment letter which we will instruct our lawyer to take care of. We will also be issuing you a Health Insurance Certificate which will be coming from our Lawyer, i am doing this because i really care for the well
    being of the people around me. I hope to read from you soon, and i am leaning on you that you won't let us down.

Kimberly & Rob Lievanoss

I asked my husband to read the email and he immediately spotted it as a scam and found this website when he Googled "Lievanoss". I'm so disappointed and embarrassed that I fell for this, it's disgusting how these people prey on the desperate and unemployed. Thanks for posting yours, as it confirmed what we suspected. Guess I'll have to keep looking for a legit job and try not to fall for the next scam.

yes this is a scam. My sister fell for this same exact scam... They will send you a fraudulent check and convince you to western union your savings to a 'client'...

by the way... if you could give me the email address of the people who sent you these 'job offers' I would appreciate it. I have a couple things for them I believe they deserve.

the email address was [email protected]

Fell for the same BS. Only mine was from Zachary and Kimberly Stone. The email address they are using is [email protected]

[email protected]

i got the same thing from this email address. they have my name, phone number and address but i haven't had to do anything with checks (and thank god i found this site i won't).. should i be worried?

mkim, don't worry. :spin2:

Just completely ignore the scammers and you will be fine.

They can't do anything bad with your name + addy + phone.

As always, any job involving handling money or printing checks or reshipping packages is always a scam.

I agree with what many have said. Legit opportunities do not usually come to you. You will need to find them. And they should never ask you for money up front. And if anyone wants you to wire money on any level, run.
    These are tell tell signs of a scam.
    I am sure there are good work at home jobs if you do your homework.

The FBI and IC3 are the authorities to be informed.

Report over report they might start an investigation and hopefully take proper measures against those held accountable, if ever found.

(unrelated link removed)
    Last edited by mumbles; 02-11-2010 at 04:20 PM.

I have to say that if you have to transfer funds or cash checks or mail orders you yourself are going to get in trouble and you should run as fast as you can. There are legit money making opportunities out there but you have to be willing to put in some work and learn new things. I have found a lot of bad but some good and the ones that were good were a lot of work but I like that you make your own hours. :spin2:
    An easy way to make money for FREE!
    easycheapmoneynow.com