+ Reply to Thread

Send a dollar for more infomration ?

I have a co-worker that said he had a friend that placed an ad in his local newspaper ..... titled " Learn How I Made 100K+ In A Year " or somthing to that affect ..... Send $1 in a SAE for more information. ..... he had a PO Box. ( 4 actually because of the response ) He would send back a thank you note and a letter telling people to do the same .... Now this is a small twist on envelope stuffing with out calling it that .... Would this be considered Illegal ?

I know of a couple that have/had webiste that was for Scholarships but the owners had to temp shut it down due to health issues.... they requested participants to write an essay and send it in along with $1 with the possibility of winning a $500 Scholarship .. to go to an accredited school to help out with books or what ever ( for school ) .....so they haded out 4 I think ..... they actually got the original idea from offering a $500 Scholarship without any $$ and they got over 20K responses .... could you imagine if they had asked for a $1 on the first one ... WOW ...... now how can that not be a scam and asking people to send in $1 for more information on how to make $$ in a SAE be a scam ... so that I dont get SENSORED I wont put the link here but it is a very creative name ....

anyway whats your take is the add legal or not ? I say no .... but its way to simple ..... your not asking for a lot of $$, your not lying about how to make the money..... many years ago I sent away $3 for more information on how to make $$v stuffing envelopes and they stated that on the info card .....

Re: Send a dollar for more infomration ?

Of course it's illegal. 1.-"Scholarships" would have to be registered in some form and your description of their activities would not meet the criteria. 2. -Your $1 co-worker must be quite the wizard with money. An ad in our local newspaper is going to set you back about $20 for three day run minimum. One post office box - about $25 a month. Thank you notes handwritten - well he must have a lot of time on his hands - $100,000. divided by 365 days a year would be 274 thank you notes a day - 7 days a week -really.... Your circle of friends are a little on the shady side to say the least! hahaha.....
    Last edited by linda49; 12-15-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    Of course it's illegal. 1.-"Scholarships" would have to be registered in some form and your description of their activities would not meet the criteria. 2. -Your $1 co-worker must be quite the wizard with money. An ad in our local newspaper is going to set you back about $20 for three day run minimum. One post office box - about $25 a month. Thank you notes handwritten - well he must have a lot of time on his hands - $100,000. divided by 365 days a year would be 274 thank you notes a day - 7 days a week -really.... Your circle of friends are a little on the shady side to say the least! hahaha.....

Yea your right ... Webmaster Im going to post the webiste not to promote it especially since its not a working company right now, not a how to make money ... just so that the posters understand what i was talking about on the scholarship webiste ... and as far as my co-workers friend ... yea that would be kind of scary ... nor sure I would want to risk having the Postmaster General and the FBI knocking on my door or better yet waiting for me to pick up my mail at the post office ..... I still think that one is illegal

any way the site is www.dollarship.com its an essay writing scholarship contest, there is/was certain criteria for winning .... they did not just hand out money recklessly..

If you have to edit the post I understand .. Thank you !

I would be surprised if the link isn't edited - but I must say - it's "bad karma" to promote such a scam anyway- IT IS NOT A SCHOLARSHIP IF THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OFF IT! Sadly, the people who will lose their money to this type of con are always the people who can least afford it. You can say "It's only a dollar" but the concept preys on people in unfortunate circumstances and/or those with limited intelligence who can ill afford to lose.

I would be surprised if the link isn't edited - but I must say - it's "bad karma" to promote such a scam anyway- IT IS NOT A SCHOLARSHIP IF THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OFF IT! Sadly, the people who will lose their money to this type of con are always the people who can least afford it. You can say "It's only a dollar" but the concept preys on people in unfortunate circumstances and/or those with limited intelligence who can ill afford to lose.

yea I agree ... At this point for now I would just like a JOB that I can do from home .... I had one it was actually a good job ..... however I saw less of my husband then than I do now working away from home ...... I lost the job because of the company growth and they felt that it would better service their customers to have all of the home delivery schedulers work out of the corporate office, there they have a better phone system, computer routing system ( i did mine manually with a zipcode map ) .... OH and get this .... It now taks 6 people to do what I did by my self .... yea they had to pay me over time and I usually worked 40-60hrs a week sometimes 7 days a week ( weekends only 3 -4 ) hrs depending on my technicians & store needs... I WAS ALWAYS THERE !!! its actually costing them more money to have the operations at the home office... there were 10 of us total that lost our jobs ... the bigest draw back of that job was the lack of out side person contact that you get when your in a regurlar office ..... but im ready to do it again ......

"Job at home" seems hard to find...unless you count the unpaid -cleaning the house and raising children job..(haha)..I don't like the first..and don't get credit for the second... Hey, wait a minute - some people pay for their houses to be cleaned by someone else on a weekly basis, some people pay grocery shoppers to pick up and deliver, and way too many people must pay for child care.............well, there's my three ideas for "work at/from home" type income - very little cash investment and your own home and telephone as your office!

"Job at home" seems hard to find...unless you count the unpaid -cleaning the house and raising children job..(haha)..I don't like the first..and don't get credit for the second... Hey, wait a minute - some people pay for their houses to be cleaned by someone else on a weekly basis, some people pay grocery shoppers to pick up and deliver, and way too many people must pay for child care.............well, there's my three ideas for "work at/from home" type income - very little cash investment and your own home and telephone as your office!

Yea but I don't like cleaning my own house or grocery shopping why in the world would I want to do it for someone else .... other than maybe getting paid :rolleyes:

Hello there-
    I see where you both are coming from, but let me tell you about my recent letter: I just got a letter, from no company, to me or current resident. There is no way for the BBB to track them, because there isn't a them, except for the 6 names and addresses that you send a dollar to. Those 6 are not "members", or part of the original "company". This is how it works.
    First you are to send $1 to each of the 6. Then you remove #1, and put #2 as #1, #3 as #2, etc. and YOU become #6. According to the cover letter, from a guy who doesn't give his name but is supposedly an ex-Lawyer, it is a legal letter because you are paying the $1 for an infomational page the 6 will each send to you. Then, you pay a legitimate "leads generating" company a certain amount for a list of people who are interested in or have recently been interested in financial opportunities. Then, after that, you have to buy 200 envelopes, and a bunch of computer paper, and possibly a couple of spare ink cartridges, (or if not 200, then 300, or 500, or however many you are willing to mail out, the more the better your chances of making more $$) and then you copy the three pages, this time with your name as #6.
    Sound interesting? IF even 2% of those that recieve the letter answer and send in the dollar, as long as they send out at leas 200, you can make hundreds of thousands in a few months. They say that 17.5% will respond on average, so I did some calculations, and based on ME sending out 500, and everyone else only sending out 200, AND based on ONLY 2% success every time, not 17.5%, at the end of the cycle, I'd make around $13,000. It is important to remember that you spend money for the supplies, and for the 500 I want to mail out, it will cost me almost $200 just for postage stamps, but $300 to $350 is a small price to pay for $13,000 !!!!!
    It may be a scam, but who is benefiting from this scam, except for what ever "Leads company" you pay for the mailing list?? If this type of letter has been around, as I suspect, then the 6 names are simply people who have tried out this opportunity, and are not part of whatever company is in question. And there doesn't seem to be a controlling entity, so how can it be a scam? AND, If you can even remotely calculate how much you can make based on your work output, then doesn't that sound real?
    I'm going to try this out, after asking a real lawyer if it is LEGAL. I think this might work!
    Last edited by ninjahound; 03-19-2006 at 07:50 PM.

I can tell you it want work. First, your return will be about 1% insted of 17.5.

Second, can you trust that everyone on the list will send the 1.00 or just add their name to the list? No. Factors this in and see what your earnings will be.

Come back and let us know how it turned out.
    Don't get scammed. Check out all opportunities or Companies before doing business.

I have recieved the same letter about sending 1 dollar to 5 people and add your name to the bottom. I have actually did that and put letters in the envelopes. I haven't sent any out yet because of the cost of stamps and the mailing list. It IS legal. I called the United States Postal Service to make sure. They said since in the letter you ask them to send the dollar and add a note saying "please add me to your mailing list" which states you are paying for a service..That is the trick to making it legal. I have heard that the outcome isn't that great because so many people do think it is a scam. If there only was just some way to make people realize that it is legal and could work....