+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Russ Whitney's "Teach Me To Trade"

Does anyone have experience with Russ Whitney's "Teach Me To Trade" stock market trainings?

I am not looking for speculation, or a list of either negative or positive links. I've already seen them. Yes, I know the initial seminar is free. And yes, I know that further seminars are very expensive.

I am looking for verifiable, first-hand information about the value of information taught at the advanced seminars, effectiveness of the strategies when put into action as taught, reliability and ease of use of the software, etc.

Re: Russ Whitney's "Teach Me To Trade"

Right off, I admit that I have not attended the TMTT sessions. But I'm an investment professional and I have looked at the fairly extensive screen shots of the TMTT program on their web site. I am disgusted - please, stay away.

The data provided in the TMTT software is a collection of widely known "technical indicators," or calculations based on a stock's price history. (Incidentally, most of this information is available free on Yahoo Finance.) IF it were possible to trade profitably on this information - which is highly dubious - Wall Street is full of professionals who would exploit and thereby eliminate these opportunities well before any TMTT user gets around to it.

The infomercial claims that its techniques can make money whether the market is going up, down, or sideways. Sure - it's possible to bet on the direction of the market. The problem is that nobody, not even the pros, can predict the market's direction. TMTT just provides the tools to make the bets - whether you win or not is your problem.

Remember: Most mutual funds underperform the market. Is the problem just that they don't have the TMTT system? You decide.

A diversified basket of index funds, held for the long term, from a low-cost provider (like Vanguard), is the way to invest in the stock market.

I posted this in another thread, but it's applicable here too.

THIS POST IS LONG BUT I PROMISE YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF READING IT BEFORE YOU LINE RUSS WHITNEY'S POCKETS WITH YOUR MONEY.

I got taken for $200 last year with his bogus Teach Me To Trade program. I've communicated with people who got scammed out of thousands more, so in a strange way I actually consider myself lucky. Here's how it works (I understand his real estate courses operate in similar fashion):

You first receive an invitation to a free local seminar which lasts about 3 hours. During that time an arrogant slimeball named Andy Tanner (I'm sure there's a few of them nationally) demonstrates software that analyzes stocks and then gives you either a green thumbs up, a red thumbs down, or a neutral yellow thumb. He professes that if you couple that ingeniously simple program with the knowledge you'll receive at an upcoming three day workshop costing $200, you'll be well on your way to a lifetime abounding with financial freedom.

The workshop begins with an inspiring rags-to-riches tale by David Gengler (again, I'm sure there are a few other sloths playing this part for Whitney, and I apologize for insulting sloths). He tells of his dire monetary straits of just seven or eight short years ago, and how he begged for and borrowed $100,000 to be educated by Teach Me To Trade. He is now a millionaire many times over. Of course it won't cost you $100,000; the price has been drastically reduced because of TMTT's desire to reach and help (scam) as many people as possible. More on that in a bit.

While he earnestly gives his rehearsed, transparent spiel to the captive audience, 5 or 6 goons, or closers dressed in cheap suits and costume jewelry patrol the room. They are laughably referred to as "Success Coaches." One of the first lessons is that the software you received at the free seminar is virtually worthless. It only performs fundamental analysis and therefore much research still needs to be executed before investing in a particular stock. Don't despair! This software, on sale today for only $2700, will pick all the best prospects for you! Then, only some minor technical analysis is required on your part to determine if the stock is worthy of investment. I reckoned the balance of the three days would be spent learning how to perform said technical analysis.

Being a complete stock market novice at the time, I was amazed at how much knowledge I gained (I've since found the same information, and then some, in a book I purchased second hand for $8.83). However in depth the material seemed initially, it was ultimately just the tip of the iceberg. Despite Mr. Gengler's claim that at the conclusion of the three days we'd be ready to "paper trade," I didn't know where to begin, especially without the magic stock-picking software (which would undoubtedly be valued at millions if not billions of dollars if such a program could actually be effectively applied).

Thankfully, TMTT came to the rescue again. They offered additional courses, each three days in length, covering such topics as chart reading, options, covered calls, incorporation, real estate investment, live exchange floor trading, asset protection and more. These courses, if you signed up immediately of course, would be reduced from the $100,000 Gengler claims he paid to somewhere in the $10-$50 thousand vicinity, depending naturally on how many you chose.

Next you are coached on how to come up with the necessary funds. Their two main tactics are borrowing from friends and relatives and/or increasing your credit limit (they even provide a script with which to work from when contacting your creditors) and then maxing it out with cash advances. This is grossly irresponsible, absolutely reprehensible advice. Never invest in anything with scared money. It hardly gets scarier than owing banks tens of thousands of dollars you are unable to repay while simultaneously putting your loved ones in hock. They justify these highly dubious practices by claiming that armed with all this new expertise you'll be knocking down big bucks in no time. They offer an unverifiable claim that 97% of all students who sign up for their "Platinum Level" course plan (roughly $25,000 in tuition) make enough money within their first year of investing to pay off their newly incurred debt and profit to boot.

Eventually, everyone gets called out of the room and speaks individually with one of the closers. They push the classes and software hard. They offer to throw in for free the software and one year's worth of newsletters along with various other nonsense if you sign up for certain levels of training. And wouldn't you know it, they ask how you fared with your credit card companies the night before and how high you were able to get that credit limit. This line of questioning strongly implies that they will settle, within reason, for whatever amount of cash you were able to muster.

They parade around a few plants (they are so obvious their appearance and presence would be hilarious if it weren't so despicable) and unfortunately, baited and hooked suckers who signed up. These people are congratulated and lauded while everyone else is put down as lazy, afraid and negative. On the last day, between slide shows of Gengler's mansion-in-progress in Utah, you are broken down into groups and asked to quickly analyze charts and spot trends using the knowledge you gained. Of course no one understands anything significant at this point, so the information seems overly complicated and confusing. The rapid fire pace of the exercise lends to the orchestrated chaos. They are obviously trying to hammer home the idea that you MUST enroll in additional courses if you ever hope to succeed.

You are bid farewell with a warning that if you don't sign up before you leave you will have missed the boat on these prices. They were good for the three days only, so don't think you're going to call back in six months when you've gotten the money together and get the same rates. Supposedly your name and personal information is stored in their data base and you never qualify for the three day workshop or the reduced fee again, yet I still receive invitations for the seminars and workshops from them. Go figure. Something tells me so long as my 200 dollar bills were green they'd have no trouble accepting them from me a second time. Or a tenth time for that matter.

Additionally, Tanner and Gengler among a few others seem to play prominent, recurring roles in TMTT's correspondence and infomercials. In one of the invitations I received recently, Gengler is pictured as "David G." from Utah beside a quote stating, "I made $10,000 in a three week period." On TMTT's web site testimonials page, David G. from Utah is quoted as saying, and I'm paraphrasing but the general message is the same, "I worked for four years as a broker for two of the huge Wall Street firms and I learned more in a few weeks from TMTT. I made $10,000 in a three week period." Either that's a world class coincidence or it's the same David G. from the mailing I received. Funny, in three days at the workshop he spoke at length about many of his life experiences yet he failed to mention even once his four year stint as a stock broker. In fact, he told us he went from an unemployed, penniless loser directly into the saving graces of the TMTT family and had been trading with their precious system ever since.

Of the people I've communicated with who did sign up for the extra courses, none made any significant money. One man spent $13,000 on classes and made a whopping total of $900 several months later despite following the software and the technique to the letter. Another, after thousands invested and weeks of trading, finally made a few hundred dollars on one swing trade only to see it wiped out by two subsequent trades using the same methods. One poor girl got taken for $18,000, never made a dime, and was jerked around while TMTT supposedly searched for a mentor to work with her. Of course the mentor never materialized and her cries for help were eventually altogether ignored, but only after they advised her to transfer her heaping credit card debt to a lower interest account. How helpful. Others say the additional courses were used much the same way as the workshop in that they basically existed only as vehicles to get you to sign up for even more courses. Each course was partnered with more expensive software that was passed off as essential for the course material to work. Nobody, save for one admitted TMTT employee, ever rebutted these or any other negative claims or offered evidence to the contrary in support of Whitney or TMTT. I guess those people in that 97 percentile are quite shy.

Finally, I've since discovered from numerous reputable sources that TMTT's assertions that they can thoroughly and completely impart all the wisdom needed to confidently trade such complex and risky endeavors as options and covered calls in two separate three day courses is comically insane. The purported notion of going from a completely broke novice to a self employed Wall Street power broker in weeks or months is equally ridiculous. I should have known that all along. On some level I think I did, but I took a shot in the dark anyway in spite of my protesting senses. I'm a couple hundred bucks lighter in the wallet for my troubles.

Don't throw your good money after mine. Please stay away from TMTT and all Russ Whitney offerings. There's lots of valuable information out there and not much of it, if any, is worth paying thousands or even hundreds of dollars for unless you are truly getting live, step-by-step instruction from a qualified mentor. You can be a successful investor but it takes dedication, hard work, discipline, trial and error (especially error) and persistence. Good luck and thanks for hanging in there through such a lengthy post. I sincerely hope it helped.
    Last edited by 18Chief; 04-27-2006 at 01:42 AM.

This seminar is horrible. I feel so bad for all the old people who are going to this seminar only to be taken for as low as $3000 and as much as $45,000. This should be criminal. I heard a man who was talking to a "success coach" say that he didn't even have a computer. Obviously that is a requirement to go further. This man was nearly 80 years old and he was about to part with $20,000 to sign up for additional classes. This 80 year might as well give the $20,000 to the speaker David Gengler. I am sure his commission will be 10x that amount for his great skills as an actor. David Gengler belongs in hollywood. People like David Gengler who are not humble about his earning is someone to watch out for. He is only 32 years old but likes to brag about his great house in Utah which he claims puts anything on MTV "Cribs" to shame. Something sounds fishing about his tale tale of being broke at 23, having three kids at that time... and getting his wife pregnant at 17 in high school. At 23, he claims he had $50,000 of credit card debt and then spent another $100,000 on classes to become proficient in selling options, calls, puts, covered calls, etc... so he could make millions. Wait a minute, what 23 year old do you know with a $50,000 credit limit? Give me a break... I believe that you can take Tom Cruise, give him a script on exactly what David Gengler did and you would get the same compelling story, yet Tom Cruise wouldn't know one thing about investing. Watch out for TMTT, save your money. It's not worth $35,000 or more for these classes and the fact that they can use "high pressure" sales tactics to trap novice old people. This type of behavior belongs only on a used car lot.

--Previous Message--
    : I was asked to leave a teach me to trade
    : seminar because they th0ught I was telling
    : people they could buy software for less and
    : take classes for less. They threatened to
    : call the police which I told them to please
    : do and file a formal complaint if they
    : wanted. What would I be charged with?
    : Talking to another person. I thought I had
    : lst amendment rights but not apparently when
    : you attend this seminar. What are they
    : afraid of. If their product works why would
    : they be afraid someone might say something
    : negative about the company or Russ Whitney
    : who now owns teach me to trade.
    :
    : What you learn in the seminar is that you
    : need to spend another $30,000 to make it
    : rich. What a joke. I made the most money
    : because I got my $200.00 back.
    :

I'm happy to have come across this thread. I'm a Teach Me To Trade (EduTrades) student and I'm doing what I can to shed some light on the subject. I went to the 3 day seminar and have dumped a truckload of money on classes, mentoring and coaching (check my blog to know just how much). I searched on the Internet for information about TMTT during the 3 day seminar and, whether for better or for worse, did not come across this thread at the time.

Although my 3 day seminar experience was a bit different, in essence, 18Chief's post is accurate. I'm not here to defend TMTT nor their tactics and I certainly don't have a lot of love for Russ Whitney associated organizations either.

I decided to blog my experience with TMTT so that others may benefit from my first-hand experience in order to make a more informed decision about EduTrades/TMTT. The goal of my blog is to accurately write up my experience with TMTT and to document my career path to becoming a professional trader as they proclaim. If this means I lose all my money, starting with what I've spent on the courses/mentoring/coaching, you'll hear it straight from me. I'm also giving an inside peak to their classes. Basically, the play-by-play of everything you'd like to know from a student's perspective related to trading and training to trade professionally.

To learn more about me and to get an inside view of TMTT from my first-hand experience please see my blog: http://taocode.blogspot.com/

Mark
    taocode@gmail.com
    http://taocode.blogspot.com/

I just completed one years worth of training from the Wealth Intelligence Academy, which along with Star Trader and TMTT is part of the Whiney Education Group. I went into the Star Trader program with the intent of learning how to spread trade with options and definitely feel I have accomplished that.

I think the PIT training is excellent material, taught in a easy to understand manner and I couldn't be more satisfied with the program. I made my first trades (bull call, and bear put) last August and within six months had traded every setup the PIT class teaches, (25 option strategies). After my mentorship in February with a former AMEX floor trader, I even went beyond that into Iron Condors.

I was very surprised how easy it was to make thousands of dollars at trading options, but unfortunately it is even easier to lose thousands of dollars trading options. At this point I am just over break even, but since the beginning of May I am up 18%, whereas the markets are down around 5%. I am at the point now I know I can make money in any market condition, have my own trading system and have complete confidence that I can continue to make money at trading. It took almost a year to get to this point with a lot of failure and frustration along the way, but overall it has been a lot of fun and very rewarding experience having gone through the WIAA training classes and mentorship program.

I was very surprised how easy it was to make thousands of dollars at trading options, but unfortunately it is even easier to lose thousands of dollars trading options. At this point I am just over break even, but since the beginning of May I am up 18%, whereas the markets are down around 5%.
    As long as markets are volatile(go up or down), you could make money either way with carefully setup options. But when markets are stale, you will lose money even with careful option trading. So at the end profits are no such a sure thing in options, even for experienced trader.

You will lose money in a stale market if you are a buyer of options, if you are long options and don't get any movement in the underling stock the time premium (theta) will decay, day after day, and the option will expire worthless.

The reality of a stagnant market is that you need to be a seller of options, which in IMO there is no easier market to trade options in. Given an equity or and index that has a stagnant, rangebound price and I'll setup calendar spreads, Iron Condors or OTM credit spreads on it month after month and take in the option premium, and have the time decay work for me, not against me. There is no sure thing in any trading, but the axiom holds true, options allow you to make money in any market. :)
    Last edited by PATJimbo; 07-08-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Russ has been around for years. Remember him selling RE on tv. He and several others cashed in in the eighties with that.

Russ Whitney is a first class scammer. Tons of info here.ReedonWhitney

Update: Iím beginning to Paper Trade using what EduTradeís/TMTT teaches. Iím putting it all to the test and weíll soon know how effective the system is (at least for me). The URL has changed, though youíll still be able to get to it through the previous URL. It is now available at: http://taott.blogspot.com/ (think/remember: The Art Of The Trade).

Also, I don't make any attempt to defend Russ Whitney. I've read horror stories posted on the 'net. There are even some complaints on ripoffreport.com for TMTT/EduTrades. Read my blog for more, sorry I'm not posting everything here, but hey, there's a reason I created the blog.

óMark

Johnny Angel Guest

I'm with 18chief. I was going to post my own experiences, but he's kinda summed it up (and very nicely too). There's nothing Whitney can teach you that you can't learn from a few cheap and widely available tech indicator books, and I wish I'd found this forum before I dropped my $$$ on Whitney's egotistical head!

Go to waterstones and have a look see what they have in the investment section.

And remember the old adage:- "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach try to sell it on the internet".

Went to a TMTT seminar last year and almost lost $25,000+++ for bogus classes. I actually handed over my AMEX card for the additional classes, but had that "not right" feeling in my gut. I called up AMEX to report my card stolen figuring that would cancel any and all charges. Turns out the FU@$!% guy there ran my card for a whopping $45,000!!!!! Guess the ass H@$#! made a little mistake when putting the total amount to be charged!

At any rate since I reported the card stolen, AMEX said they would contact the authorities to start an official investigation to the charges. No further updates since then except a form letter from AMEX saying they are still investigating the matter. At any rate they sent me a new card with a new account.
    Last edited by peteusps; 08-09-2006 at 08:39 AM.

Skeptic74.
    Im a 22 yrs. old. I went to this seminar and bought the first 3 day training with "Teach me to Trade." Unfortunatly for me, I paid for something they called an "Execitive Package." So instead of paying the $199 everyone else payed because they were supposely already familiar with stock, and I wasn't, therefore, should pay $399. Well, they had me going up-until they finally explained how much these classes would cost. At first, it bummed me out because I really wanted to do this but defenetly couldn't afford it. Then I looked up this David Gangler character and stumbled upon a few sights including this one and im greatful but bothered. I almost lost thousands of dollars that I don't have after paying $399 I didn't have.
    So I guess what im asking is how did you get your money back. Tomorrow, im going to attend the last class of the training course because I already paid for it but hopefully I can get an answer from you or anyone who would know something about custumer dissatisfaction.
    Last edited by milio1108; 09-16-2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammer

Johnny Angel Guest

there is a ton of free stuff out there. Why pay this old fart 45,000 bucks???

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach run 'seminars'.

I also do scam and other reviews for the Forex market.
    http://www.topforexreview.com

Cindy