+ Reply to Thread

Here is what an ACTUAL WAR HERO has to say:

The Party of Defeat
    By David Bellavia
    | December 9, 2005

As an infantryman whose boots are still caked with blood and dust from Iraq, I am at a loss to understand what Representative John Murtha (D-PA) was thinking when he recently delivered his defeatist comments about our military efforts.

Murtha’s outrage, like that of many Democrats, is completely directed at the war in Iraq and the large number of American youth far from home and serving in harm’s way. Curiously, no comparable anger is triggered by the 1,700 American troops patrolling Kosovo’s tranquil streets. No complaints issue from the anti-war crowd regarding the 3,000-troop strong presence in Bosnia. And what of the 1,754 troops stationed in Iceland? One seeks in vain for anti-war crowds chanting, “Mr. President, bring home our boys from Iceland!”

Iraq, of course, is a different story. John Murtha, offering his Bronze Star with Valor (BSV) as a badge of his authority, demands a precipitous withdrawal from Iraq. On behalf of every veteran of Iraqi Freedom who has exchanged hot lead with the enemy, allow me to observe that Congressman Murtha does not understand the situation in Iraq. Murtha quotes an unscientific poll that asserts that “80 percent of Iraqi’s want us out.” I am no John Zogby but I conclude that 100 percent of Iraqis want us out—eventually. At the moment, however, they very much want us there while Islamofascists continue to blow them up. And they want us to continue training them to defend themselves in the cause of freedom.

Rather than acknowledging the vital mission being carried out by the troops, the Democratic leadership prefers to disparage our efforts. My fellow soldiers are not appreciative of Senators Kennedy and Kerry’s daily attempts to uncover mistakes made by this administration as we come under fire thousands of miles from our homes. In the era of the digital satellite, these senators never consider the bigger picture, and have put us on trial for executing a war as it unfolds.

Former administrations ignored the present danger in this region for years before 9/11, and today we in the trenches pay the price for our past inability to confront our enemies. Each day, the enemy hopes that one more ten-plus death toll inflicted against coalition forces will be the last straw of the American collective will. The actions of Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, et al.—voting against the immediate pullout of the troops and then supporting Murtha’s ignorant remarks on every television program that offers an invitation—constitute a political attack on the troops, an attack that is aiding our enemy.

Though soldiers bleed for the right to dissent, we must remember that at times dissent will embolden our desperate Islamofascist enemy, especially when they read accounts of the growing fecklessness of the American people and her policy makers. Each day, legislators like Murtha move us closer to losing a winnable war and abandoning a worthy ally. Instead of supporting our cause, they stoke the fires of the Islamist faithful, those who would see a pullout in Iraq as a greater victory than the Soviet retreat from Afghanistan.

Despite the steady drumbeat of negativity, the troops remain undaunted. This is a middle to lower class war fought by volunteers of the greatest generation of American warriors ever born. I have written over 47 Bronze Stars with Valor (BSV) awards for the members of my 34-man infantry platoon. The BSV is growing more and more common during this fight, yet my peers cannot use their awards as a platform to defend their noble struggle because they are still deep in the fight.

Our critics in Congress are burdened by no such constraints. Neither Rep. Murtha nor any other Congressional representative has held a position in a skirmish line under fire in Iraq. Nonetheless, they pontificate to the masses about “their” war experience. Not one has borne witness to the extreme close-quarter nature of this fight or commented on the tearful thanks from a deserving and proud Iraqi people who need us to stay the course.

Instead, Rep. Murtha has the audacity to call my fellow soldiers “broken.” But despite such pessimism, amplified by a cynical media, we are not “broken,” On the contrary, we are winning. Hundreds of thousands of Iranian-trained Hezbollah terrorists, as well as Chechnyan, Wahabbi, and local mujahadeen militants have been pacified by our young patriots. It is regrettable that a man like Murtha, who made his career detailing his undisputed heroism under fire, is the first to chip away at my generation’s valor. Nor have we, as Senator Kerry recently claimed, “terrorized Iraqis in their homes.” And while many anti-war Democrats would have you believe otherwise, we are most certainly not “living hand to mouth.”

These and similar attacks have succeeded only in tarnishing the reputation of the American soldier. Each day, the Iraq War veteran grows closer to the embarrassing disrespect once heaped on the Vietnam warrior. Not only does the Democratic leadership deny the transparent fact that Iraq is indeed the front line in the War on Terror, but it feels the need to apologize for our nation’s ability to deliver unrelenting, but prudent lethality onto our deserving enemies. Thus, their warped template for fighting a war: pull out when the blood starts to flow.

Against this strategy of defeat, the president has called for staying the course. Staying the course isn’t a campaign slogan; it is a life support message for those of us in the midst of battle. Congressman Murtha above all others should know the perils inherent in dictating military policy from across the Potomac. I imagine he can still taste the spittle of anti-war protestors from 30 years ago. As was the case in Vietnam, the American soldier cannot be defeated on the field of battle. It is only the failure of the political class to stomach the hardships of combat that stands in the way of our victory.

David Bellavia is a former Army Staff Sergeant who served in the First Infantry Division for six years. He has been recommended for the Medal of Honor by his leadership, and has been nominated for the Distinguished Service Cross. He has received the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Conspicuous Service Cross (New York states highest combat valor award) and was recently inducted into the New York State Veteran’s Hall of Fame. His Task Force 2-2 Infantry has fought on such battlefields as Al Muqdadiyah, An Najaf, Al Fallujah, Mosul, and Baqubah. His actions in Fallujah, Iraq were documented in the November 22, 2004 cover story “Into the Hot Zone” by award winning journalist Michael Ware. He is 30 years old.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=20469

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Re: Here is what an ACTUAL WAR HERO has to say:

Hi Pwrone,

Are you implying that John Murtha is not a hero because he said something, YOU did not agree with??

And the author of this piece is a hero because, YOU agree with it??

Is that how YOU measure heroism??

Only by YOUR standard, can a person be judged a hero?

Is the standard of heroism be measured by a person's, actions, convictions, and the willingness to stand against the tide, and say what they believe to be right and true, not good enough??

Just curious.

DeeDee1965

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Good one Pwrone, let's see what there is to read about your little author.

Very interesting ................ a Marxist turned Neoconservative. I guess Marxism didn't sell too well. But he sure found an audience of ignoramouses in the far right didn't he?

frontpagemag.com
    A cutting edge magazine of politics and culture from David Horowitz and The Center for the Study of Popular Culture.

David Horowitz is a conservative author and political commentator. In the 1960s he was a Marxist in the American New Left movement, but today holds conservative views.

He is the founder of Center for the Study of Popular Culture He writes for the conservative magazine NewsMax and is the editor of FrontPageMag.com. He is affiliated with Students for Academic Freedom, Discover the Network, and Campus-Watch

"Behold, David Horowitz, former Marxist gone neoconservative in his autumn years. In the world Horowitz occupies all of the clocks have lurched backward to a more paranoid and suspicious time, let us say somewhere mid-stride of the McCarthy inquisition. In the world Horowitz inhabits there are communists under beds and Grand Conspiracies on the tapis..." MORE

About as reliable for accurate information as the publication he writes for.

News Max; "If the Drudge Report is the ConWeb's National Enquirer, NewsMax is turning into the equivalent of the Weekly World News.

The Enquirer's whacked-out tabloid sibling requires only a good, grabbing story that'll get people's attention at the supermarket checkout line, regardless of whether the thing is actually true..."
    http://conwebwatch.tripod.com/storie...nmdistort.html

"To be sure, the truth according to Newsmax is very different from the truth according to, say, The New York Times. On a given day, Newsmax will feature headlines like "Gore's Swan Song: Hail to the Cheat!" and "Democrats Plot Against Bush."

Much of the site is a Matt Drudge-inspired index of the Web's other news sources, but unlike Drudge, Newsmax also features original content..."
    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,40375,00.html

Couldn't find something a little less leaning to the right could you? That story is probably one of their "original" made up accounts.

Good grief.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 12-11-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Good one Pwrone, let's see what there is to read about your little author.

Very interesting ................ a Marxist turned Neoconservative. I guess Marxism didn't sell too well. But he sure found an audience of ignoramouses in the far right didn't he?

frontpagemag.com
    A cutting edge magazine of politics and culture from David Horowitz and The Center for the Study of Popular Culture.

David Horowitz is a conservative author and political commentator. In the 1960s he was a Marxist in the American New Left movement, but today holds conservative views.

He is the founder of Center for the Study of Popular Culture He writes for the conservative magazine NewsMax and is the editor of FrontPageMag.com. He is affiliated with Students for Academic Freedom, Discover the Network, and Campus-Watch

"Behold, David Horowitz, former Marxist gone neoconservative in his autumn years. In the world Horowitz occupies all of the clocks have lurched backward to a more paranoid and suspicious time, let us say somewhere mid-stride of the McCarthy inquisition. In the world Horowitz inhabits there are communists under beds and Grand Conspiracies on the tapis..." MORE

About as reliable for accurate information as the publication he writes for.

News Max; "If the Drudge Report is the ConWeb's National Enquirer, NewsMax is turning into the equivalent of the Weekly World News.

The Enquirer's whacked-out tabloid sibling requires only a good, grabbing story that'll get people's attention at the supermarket checkout line, regardless of whether the thing is actually true..."
    http://conwebwatch.tripod.com/storie...nmdistort.html

"To be sure, the truth according to Newsmax is very different from the truth according to, say, The New York Times. On a given day, Newsmax will feature headlines like "Gore's Swan Song: Hail to the Cheat!" and "Democrats Plot Against Bush."

Much of the site is a Matt Drudge-inspired index of the Web's other news sources, but unlike Drudge, Newsmax also features original content..."
    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,40375,00.html

Couldn't find something a little less leaning to the right could you? That story is probably one of their "original" made up accounts.

Good grief.

Lady Mod

So...%&#$ the war hero for having an opinion different than yours...got it. Where did I suggest ANYTHING about Murtha? And why would you think Horowitz wrote it? I wonder how many times I have made mention of the hatred the left has for our soldiers...you know, the 99% of them who do not want to run away? And each time someone gets offended that I would say such a thing...and then proves my point in spades. WOW
    Last edited by pwrone; 12-11-2005 at 11:41 AM.

and i guess shock and "WOW" is a god(GOOD) thing!?we can all only hope!?but i guess(keep us guessin "W")we have to depend on our fearless leader and his(SECRECY) AND (LYING) to calm(OR EXCITE) our fears!?we all have fears.......right!?what's your fear!?dare i ask!?watch yer back!? the movin on up crowd has enemys!?WHO KNEW!!it's a brave new world!?(wild wild west!?)thank you TEXANS!!(exception to SJA)hehe!! :eek: :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 12-11-2005 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone

David Bellavia is a former Army Staff Sergeant who served in the First Infantry Division for six years. He has been recommended for the Medal of Honor by his leadership, and has been nominated for the Distinguished Service Cross. He has received the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Conspicuous Service Cross (New York states highest combat valor award) and was recently inducted into the New York State Veteran’s Hall of Fame. His Task Force 2-2 Infantry has fought on such battlefields as Al Muqdadiyah, An Najaf, Al Fallujah, Mosul, and Baqubah. His actions in Fallujah, Iraq were documented in the November 22, 2004 cover story “Into the Hot Zone” by award winning journalist Michael Ware. He is 30 years old.

I think his fame has gone to his head Pwrone. Or he is being used, maybe both. And it appears he is not too up on past war heros himself. I'm not knocking his service or his state award, BUT he is not the only hero a war ever produced. I think he would do better to lay off the politicing.

David Bellavia:

David Bellavia went to Iraq to fight a war, not to become the poster child for the American soldier.

But being featured in a nearly 3,000-word cover story on the battle of Fallujah in a November 2004 issue of Time magazine can change the situation considerably...

One response to what Bellavia has said on a radio show:

One Response to “David Bellavia, honored soldier”
    John Warren Says:
    November 11th, 2005 at 1:37 pm

As much as I admire David’s service.. he stated today on a radio show that there “are no Kennedys in this foxhole”.. oh, really!! That’s too bad. Too bad because John Fitzgerald Kennedy won more that some tiny state award for his actions in war. When his boat was carved in half by a Japanese destroyer he saved his men by leading them to the shore of an island in the midst of ememy territory. Oh, yes.. he also swam a tremendous distance with a badly burned man dragging behind him. Given the choice of comrades to have my back..I’ll take JFK thank you.

..............FULL ARTICLE HERE......................

Last edited by sojustask; 12-11-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Who served in the military?

Democrats/War Heros

Representative Jack Murtha (D-PA) - distinguished 37-year career in the U.S. Marine Corps, Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts, retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a colonel in 1990. (1)

Former Senator Bob Kerrey... Democrat... Lt. j.g., U.S. Navy 1966-69; Medal of Honor, Vietnam

Senator Daniel Inouye, US Army 1943-'47; Medal of Honor, World War Two

Senator John Kerry, Lt., U.S. Navy 1966-70; Silver Star, Bronze Star with Combat V, and three awards of the Purple Heart for his service in combat

Representative Charles Rangel, Staff Sgt., U.S. Army 1948-52; Bronze Star, Korea (1, 2)

Former Senator Max Cleland, Captain, U.S. Army 1965-68; Silver Star & Bronze Star, Vietnam

Senator Fritz Hollings (D-SC) - served as a U.S. Army officer in World War II, receiving the Bronze Star and seven campaign ribbons. (1)

Representative Leonard Boswell (D-IA) - Lt. Col., U.S. Army 1956-76; two tours in Vietnam, two Distinguished Flying Crosses as a helicopter pilot, two Bronze Stars, and the Soldier's Medal.

Former Representative "Pete" Peterson, Air Force Captain, POW, Ambassador to Viet Nam, and recipient of the Purple Heart, the Silver Star and the Legion of Merit.

Rep. Mike Thompson, D-CA: Staff sergeant/platoon leader with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, U.S. Army; was wounded and received a Purple Heart.

Bill McBride, Democratic Candidate for Florida Governor - volunteered and served as a U.S. Marine in Vietnam; awarded Bronze Star with a combat "V."

Gray Davis, former California Governor, Army Captain in Vietnam; received Bronze Star.

Howell Heflin... Democrat... Silver Star

George McGovern, famous liberal, awarded Silver Star & DFC, dozens of missions during WWII.

Former Senator John Glenn, D-OH (1974-1999) - Served in WWII and Korea; extensive military commendations include the Distinguished Flying Cross on six occasions, and the Air Medal with 18 Clusters.

Republicans/War Heros

Senator John McCain - McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. Why did the Bush campaign smear him so?
    At least Senators Cleland (D-GA), Kerry (D-MA), Kerrey (D-NE), Robb (D-VA) and Hagel (R-NE) defended him.

Chuck Hagel - two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam.

Duke Cunningham - nominated for the Medal of Honor, received the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, fifteen Air Medals, the Purple Heart, and several other decorations Recently entered plea bargain on felony charges of bribery, etc. etc.

Colin Powell: served two tours of duty in Vietnam, and as a battalion commander in Korea. He later commanded the 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and V Corps, United States Army in Europe, and was Commander in Chief of Forces Command, headquartered at Fort McPherson, Georgia.The recipient of numerous U.S. military decorations, including the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Bronze Star Medal, and the Purple Heart.

Tom Ridge, Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam

Representative Sam R. Johnson, combat missions in both Korea and Vietnam, POW in Hanoi from April 1966 to February 1973

Senator Ted Stevens, R-AK, WW II pilot, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Air Medals, and the Yuan Hai medal awarded by the Republic of China.

Fifteen Democrats decorated for military service to Seven Republicans. When one considers that the Republicans hold the majority of the seats (check the website, those listed who didn't serve will blow you away) it's a wonder why we allow them to get away with disparaging remarks against Democrats at all. Apparently, looking at the numbers, the Dems do know a thing or two about war.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 12-12-2005 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Who served in the military?

Democrats/War Heros

Representative Jack Murtha (D-PA) - distinguished 37-year career in the U.S. Marine Corps, Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts, retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a colonel in 1990. (1)

Former Senator Bob Kerrey... Democrat... Lt. j.g., U.S. Navy 1966-69; Medal of Honor, Vietnam

Senator Daniel Inouye, US Army 1943-'47; Medal of Honor, World War Two

Senator John Kerry, Lt., U.S. Navy 1966-70; Silver Star, Bronze Star with Combat V, and three awards of the Purple Heart for his service in combat

Representative Charles Rangel, Staff Sgt., U.S. Army 1948-52; Bronze Star, Korea (1, 2)

Former Senator Max Cleland, Captain, U.S. Army 1965-68; Silver Star & Bronze Star, Vietnam

Senator Fritz Hollings (D-SC) - served as a U.S. Army officer in World War II, receiving the Bronze Star and seven campaign ribbons. (1)

Representative Leonard Boswell (D-IA) - Lt. Col., U.S. Army 1956-76; two tours in Vietnam, two Distinguished Flying Crosses as a helicopter pilot, two Bronze Stars, and the Soldier's Medal.

Former Representative "Pete" Peterson, Air Force Captain, POW, Ambassador to Viet Nam, and recipient of the Purple Heart, the Silver Star and the Legion of Merit.

Rep. Mike Thompson, D-CA: Staff sergeant/platoon leader with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, U.S. Army; was wounded and received a Purple Heart.

Bill McBride, Democratic Candidate for Florida Governor - volunteered and served as a U.S. Marine in Vietnam; awarded Bronze Star with a combat "V."

Gray Davis, former California Governor, Army Captain in Vietnam; received Bronze Star.

Howell Heflin... Democrat... Silver Star

George McGovern, famous liberal, awarded Silver Star & DFC, dozens of missions during WWII.

Former Senator John Glenn, D-OH (1974-1999) - Served in WWII and Korea; extensive military commendations include the Distinguished Flying Cross on six occasions, and the Air Medal with 18 Clusters.

Republicans/War Heros

Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Senator John McCain - McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. Why did the Bush campaign smear him so?
    At least Senators Cleland (D-GA), Kerry (D-MA), Kerrey (D-NE), Robb (D-VA) and Hagel (R-NE) defended him.

Chuck Hagel - two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam.

Duke Cunningham - nominated for the Medal of Honor, received the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, fifteen Air Medals, the Purple Heart, and several other decorations Recently entered plea bargain on felony charges of bribery, etc. etc.

Colin Powell: served two tours of duty in Vietnam, and as a battalion commander in Korea. He later commanded the 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and V Corps, United States Army in Europe, and was Commander in Chief of Forces Command, headquartered at Fort McPherson, Georgia.The recipient of numerous U.S. military decorations, including the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Bronze Star Medal, and the Purple Heart.

Tom Ridge, Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam

Representative Sam R. Johnson, combat missions in both Korea and Vietnam, POW in Hanoi from April 1966 to February 1973

Senator Ted Stevens, R-AK, WW II pilot, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Air Medals, and the Yuan Hai medal awarded by the Republic of China.

Fifteen Democrats decorated for military service to Nine Republicans. When one considers that the Republicans hold the majority of the seats (check the website, those listed who didn't serve will blow you away) it's a wonder why we allow them to get away with disparaging remarks against Democrats at all. Apparently, looking at the numbers, the Dems do know a thing or two about war.

Lady Mod

It was quite a stirring sight to see all of these dem war heroes stand up and state their views on what we should be doing over there....oh, wait. NONE of them did. This is so no one can EVER point and say "look what you stood up for", because later--they may not. Sometimes later the same day.

So...or are we to presume that murtha spoke for them all? Or are we to presume that murtha spoke for none of them? Liberals want to walk a fine line between implying that they MIGHT be heroic, while disparaging those that we know to be heroic(if they don't think running away is how to win a war).

Also, it should be pointed out that ALL the war heroes voted against running away...thereby agreeing with our much maligned columnist.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    Also, it should be pointed out that ALL the war heroes voted against running away...thereby agreeing with our much maligned columnist.
    It seems you and the far right do not know the difference between a planned withdrawal and "running away" as you so like to put it.

Not a single democrat has advocated "running" from anything. Not even Murtha. And the author neglected to state that Iraqui "officials" are calling for a timetable as well for American pullout? And you can sure tell this boy has been schooled by the "right". He's sure got the vocabularly down pat and he's just as bad as the rest of the far right when it comes to reporting anything accurately, without bias.

And just think it was one of those "damned liberal media" newspapers that transported this young man from just another soldier to believing he was the speaker for all the soldiers.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 12-12-2005 at 02:16 AM.