+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Republicans, support the war effort!

I urge the Republicans in this room to spend less time writing about the war, and more time earning money for it and giving it to Bush, Raytheon, Halliburton, Lockheed Martin, and so on. Maybe sell the car or live in a cheaper house or something. Share your stories.

And if you enlist as a soldier, be a real hero and don't accept pay. Why not volunteer for free? Show these libs you mean business, that you're all about helping out the cause that you're willing to give up your pay to further fund the war effort. Seriously, this war has cost hundreds of billions of dollars. It would help.

- Ronald

Re: Republicans, support the war effort!

Well, it is supposed to be a "volunteer" army. Ugh. They don't get paid much, let's face it, our soldiers ARE the POOR. Let's not rob them any further by asking them to risk their lives AND not get paid for it too.

Lady Mod

No, what I mean is have some of the right-wingers in this room enlist themselves or encourage some relatives to, and propose not accepting pay to help the effort. Average soldier's pay is about $2000-$3000 a month anyway, right?

- Ronald

war_man is offline the gatekeeper of honesty and integrity in self

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    No, what I mean is have some of the right-wingers in this room enlist themselves or encourage some relatives to, and propose not accepting pay to help the effort. Average soldier's pay is about $2000-$3000 a month anyway, right?

- Ronald
    I thinks thats a good idea Ronald,, I mean givin the way they seem to make it sound the wars for all the right reasons right,, all the right wingers step this way.................. :mad: :( :confused:
    war_on_scam

Hey Ronald...go stick your head in a polar bears mouth or something else useful.

My Grandmother's both worked during World War II in the factories helping to supply the war effort. One Grandfather was part in the Army but other grandfather was disabled and supported the war effort everyway he could.

My family (members I have spoken with) has been represented in every war or conflict since World War I. I am not old enough to have known my Great Great Great Grandfather so before WWI I have no first hand knowledge.

Why am I not out there fighting? I broke my neck as a freshman in College. I couldn't get into the military after that.

You know something else, I know a large number of democrats that can say the same thing. Our country, possibly unlike yours up north, is not one where you decide if a conflict is acceptable to you before you support it (your Country) with your money and blood. When you join the military, you do not join the republican military or the democrat military, you join the US military.

If you don't want to support the US Military, move to Canada. Oh yeah, you already live there. If you live in the US you are supporting the war effort though every dollar you earn or spend here. Hey Ronald.....don't buy anything made by American's or you too will be supporting the War Effort.

Opps, you screwed that up, you are on the Internet and there by you are supporting American companies even if in only a very small amount.

Oh, and one more thing. Forgot to mention the members of my family who have been part of the Peace Corps, run charities, manage food banks, sponser children in foriegn countries, or raise foster kids. But then I guess Republicans are not expected to be doing those things either.

Yes you have gotten under my skin.

We should probably spend a lot more time discussing the devastating social, political, racial, and economic problems in Canada. If only it mattered...

war_man is offline the gatekeeper of honesty and integrity in self

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    We should probably spend a lot more time discussing the devastating social, political, racial, and economic problems in Canada. If only it mattered...
    Well start a thread where its just you and Ronald, Im sure the economic problems in Canada matter to him.. You bring all your stat pages and set him straight on it, im sure he would enjoy that there pwrone...
    war_on_scam

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    Hey Ronald...go stick your head in a polar bears mouth or something else useful.

My Grandmother's both worked during World War II in the factories helping to supply the war effort. One Grandfather was part in the Army but other grandfather was disabled and supported the war effort everyway he could.

My family (members I have spoken with) has been represented in every war or conflict since World War I. I am not old enough to have known my Great Great Great Grandfather so before WWI I have no first hand knowledge.

Why am I not out there fighting? I broke my neck as a freshman in College. I couldn't get into the military after that.

You know something else, I know a large number of democrats that can say the same thing. Our country, possibly unlike yours up north, is not one where you decide if a conflict is acceptable to you before you support it (your Country) with your money and blood. When you join the military, you do not join the republican military or the democrat military, you join the US military.

If you don't want to support the US Military, move to Canada. Oh yeah, you already live there. If you live in the US you are supporting the war effort though every dollar you earn or spend here. Hey Ronald.....don't buy anything made by American's or you too will be supporting the War Effort.

Opps, you screwed that up, you are on the Internet and there by you are supporting American companies even if in only a very small amount.

Oh, and one more thing. Forgot to mention the members of my family who have been part of the Peace Corps, run charities, manage food banks, sponser children in foriegn countries, or raise foster kids. But then I guess Republicans are not expected to be doing those things either.

Yes you have gotten under my skin.
    You've gotten under my skin. You're deliberately taking offense to things that have absolutely nothing to do with what I've said. Your grandparents, honorable as they are, and World War II, have nothing to do with my comments on the Iraq War. So save it. We can all talk about some relative and grandparents who were heroes during the hard times. I'm talking about us now, genius.

I'm sorry about your neck. I really am. We may get angry in debate, but it sucks to have injury, and it never seems justified. I'm sorry.

But I am going to re-state my point, putting your wonderful grandparents aside - if you're going to say you believe in this war, that you can't retreat, that victory is so essential, why not volunteer and deny pay? $500 billion has been spent, or roughly that, and with Hurricane Katrina and whatever else, you would be supporting the war effort people claim to love so much.

If the U.S. military is really a volunteer service, and not an employment service, and if "patriotism" seems so high, then why not give the pay to the war effort? Perhaps some soldiers already have. Maybe we could hear some stories.

- Ronald

Good idea! I think you are on to something! Start a grass-roots movement! You can do it! Can Canada be saved from the thieving liberal party?

You're deliberately taking offense to things that have absolutely nothing to do with what I've said.
    I have taken offense to your comments for good reason. Your insinuation is that a) only republicans believe in this war, and B) if one truly believes in this war they should volunteer and give up their pay to support it.

You comments show just how much you really know about life.

Your grandparents, honorable as they are, and World War II, have nothing to do with my comments on the Iraq War. So save it. We can all talk about some relative and grandparents who were heroes during the hard times. I'm talking about us now, genius.
    You have no idea what you are talking about actually. You indication are that if one does not volunteer for this war you are not really supporting this war. I simply pointed out that my family has supported the efforts of this Great Nation since the beginning of time and continue to do so today. Simply because I personally can ot get into the military does not mean jack.

I'm sorry about your neck. I really am. We may get angry in debate, but it sucks to have injury, and it never seems justified. I'm sorry.
    Thank you but really no need to be sorry. I am not complaining and I would do everything exactly the same that lead to the injury if I had it to do over again.

But I am going to re-state my point, putting your wonderful grandparents aside - if you're going to say you believe in this war, that you can't retreat, that victory is so essential, why not volunteer and deny pay?
    Try reading this again. I can volunteer all I want, I will not get in and there fore will receive ZERO in pay so in effect I have donated every penny I would have earned to the war effort.

If the U.S. military is really a volunteer service, and not an employment service, and if "patriotism" seems so high, then why not give the pay to the war effort? Perhaps some soldiers already have. Maybe we could hear some stories.
    So it is your belief that the only way for one to truly support this effort is to go fight and receive zero compensation? Many of those fighting in Iraq have left their families behind, who also need food, shelter, and clothing. But of course you also probably believe that the government should be providing these things to all citizens.

Did the Tillman stories not make it up to Canada? The young man who gave up MILLLIONS in the NFL to join the Rangers? It is said he was killed by "friendly fire", but his willingness to give up what he had to fight for others is no less heroic.

- Ronald[/QUOTE]

I go to church, and in that church there are these things called volunteers. Some of these people get paid for full-time work because there are bills to be paid, obviously. That's not to discount their contributions.

But some people have went decades REFUSING PAY! They simply say: "Keep the money, and re-invest to some noble cause."

I am not saying you have to be Republican to support the war. I am not saying you have to enlist and give up pay to support the war. What I am asking for are stories of people who have done so. Are there people across the country who are giving money to the government strictly for this war effort?

It is a question. It is not rhetorical. So please stop telling me about your neck, your grandparents, and so on. Really, I'm sorry for the offense. But if, like me, you don't have an answer, then please shut up. I am not out to "get you".

- Ronald

But if, like me, you don't have an answer, then please shut up. I am not out to "get you".
    - Ronald
    Ronald,

I, on the other hand, am out to "get you".

"Get you" to think rationally and for yourself.
    "Get you" to undertand that Africa is not the only just cause in the world.
    "Get you" to understand that comparing volunteering at your church is different then volunteering in a war.
    "Get you" to look at what your country is and is not doing before laying blame on this one.

While there are many people who want us (US citizens) to see the world from there view point, it is just as important to "Get you" to take a look at things from ours. And in doing so, look from the eyes of both sides within this great nation.

Canada is a fine Country in many ways, beautiful land, some wonderful people. I love to go up there fishing whenever possible. I don't judge your country purely by the actions of your leaders. That would be rather shallow of me.

You would never hear me say something like "If you want to change the direction of the war in Iraq, then get off your lazy butts and do something about it." What you do and what your country does is not my concern until it flows across our borders.

"our" borders!?like in "CO-OWNERSHIP"!?but then i guess "we" have to ask,what is the point of "CO-OWNWERSHIP" if inequality and unhappiness and suffering remain a fact!?well let's see.........not for everybody....... the lucky,the suckups,and the fearful tryers(poitive thinkers!?)are gettin their share!?oops!!i guess it's all summed up in the term,politically DEPENDENT!?politics is cash flow and cash flow is life in america!!reminds me of the biblical jew vrs christian thing.god's on both sides i think!?god is such A KNOW IT ALL!!who knew!? but as to payin for the war and whatever else this BLOATED administration is up to......i think it goes like this...CHARGE IT!!and when in the future those lazy dems get a job their taxes will pay for it!!so keep your money repubs!!save it for carpetbaggin the world!!you earned it!!(TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHY)how much did you'all get back elley may...why i gots back a big ol' penny!!"wow" elley may, lets go buy us a new gumdrop!!WWWEEEEEEEEE!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 12-14-2005 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    Ronald,

I, on the other hand, am out to "get you".

"Get you" to think rationally and for yourself.
    "Get you" to undertand that Africa is not the only just cause in the world.
    "Get you" to understand that comparing volunteering at your church is different then volunteering in a war.
    "Get you" to look at what your country is and is not doing before laying blame on this one.

While there are many people who want us (US citizens) to see the world from there view point, it is just as important to "Get you" to take a look at things from ours. And in doing so, look from the eyes of both sides within this great nation.

Canada is a fine Country in many ways, beautiful land, some wonderful people. I love to go up there fishing whenever possible. I don't judge your country purely by the actions of your leaders. That would be rather shallow of me.

You would never hear me say something like "If you want to change the direction of the war in Iraq, then get off your lazy butts and do something about it." What you do and what your country does is not my concern until it flows across our borders.
    I am not criticizing this war as a Canadian, but as human being and as a Christian. Don't dismiss my views just because they don't fall within your own borders.

Good point about the U.S. and the world seeing things from the opposite end of things.

Africa is in crisis mode. The death toll is extremely high. No, Africa is not the only good cause, so you've already "gotten me" to see that, but that entire continent doesn't get 10% of the attention Iraq gets. It's cruel, and it's got to stop. We need a media shift. Africa needs to make more headlines.

Volunteering for a church and for a military are in fact similar. The church can place you in life threatening situations by sending you overseas as a missionairy. War, in a less literal sense, is involved in both. Some Christian's do consider themselves soldiers in a battle.

But my question remains are there soldiers giving up their pay to support the effort? And are there families who are sending money to Bush to fund the war effort?

- Ronald

I am not criticizing this war as a Canadian, but as human being and as a Christian. Don't dismiss my views just because they don't fall within your own borders.
    Ronald, I don't dismiss your views. Most of the time I actually take a few minutes and think about what you have to say. Sometimes I even agree with you.

I believe your views are many times misguided and often wrong. As a Canadian, telling the people of the US how they should act and what they should do is wrong. Sorry if you think that is harse.

You have every right to debate the actions of the US within the confines of your country. You have every right to come to a forum that is multi national and express your views. However, when you come out and say if the republicans actually support thie war they should do this or do that, at that point you have stepped over a line in my opinion.

But my question remains are there soldiers giving up their pay to support the effort? And are there families who are sending money to Bush to fund the war effort?
    - Ronald
    Your first question.... My guess is no there are not many if any, but that is simply a wild guess and I have abo****ely nothing to back it up. We ask our citizens to do a job and we pay them for that job. Even if we fail to pay them what the job is really worth.

Your Second Question......Sending money to Bush would do absolutely nothing to fund the war. You see, in this country we do not ask our President to write the check out of his personal account to pay for the war. There are many stories where family members have sent over flack jackets to the troops, we send care packages every day to the troops, so yes people do spend money directly in support of the war. We also have a small item called taxes. The money collected goes to pay the bills run up by our government.

So you support the troops by paying taxes, but the Republicans want to cut taxes. Now, I've heard of all this tax cutting improves the economy rhetoric, but really, it just seems hypocritical.

But I'm definitely glad to here that the people of the U.S. are sending flack jackets and care packages to the troops. Right on. For some reason, even though I do not believe in this war, I feel good just to hear that. I don't want to hear angry Republicans shouting "support the war! support the war! support the troops!" but then not do anything to do so, except vote and pay taxes. I hope that isn't offensive, but that's just how I feel.

If this project of democratizing the Middle East in a massive action plan to permanently wipe out terrorism is in the hearts of the majority of Americans, if that is the intent of the people, then I'd like to see them wholeheartedly pursue that goal. I'm just scared that this is some sort of "Lets just bomb the hell out of them so we don't ever have to worry about dealing with them again" sort of thing. I don't want this to be a hate driven, money making venture, and you have to admit that it can be that for some profiteers of this war. Is the patriotic spirit true for people, for both the Left and the Right? It's a matter of the heart as much as it is a matter of the tangible.

- Ronald