+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Democrats are pessimists and America is on the right track (take two)

This thread will likely get closed as well, but Rawb made a baseless claim that was out right false and extremely misleading. It needed to be rebutted.

So from the thread that was closed as I typed my reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb
    I guess Mr Potatohead thinks that it's better to spend money on a war rather than help its own citizens when a truly legitimate crisis hits. I doubt Bush or any of the other Neocons donated anything to help people in need. Oh that's right, it was all spent on that vacation :rolleyes: He probably didn't want to admit that most of the money was already spent on the war and none leftover for the disaster.
    No need to wonder if they have donated anything to Charity, all you have to do is look it up. The President's and Vice President's tax return information is posted on www.whitehouse.gov for easy access. You can also find them other places if you prefer.

Since 2000, President and Mrs Bush have donated 12.18% of their income, or $442,070 while Vice President and Mrs. Cheney have donated 19.94%, or $8,667,399 (yes that is 8.67 MILLION) to charitable organizations.

2004 Bush donations from $672,788 in income:

President and Mrs. Bush contributed $77,785 to churches and charitable organizations, including Evergreen Chapel at Camp David, St. John's Church, the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army World Service Office, AmeriCares, the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and the Federal Government's Combined Federal Campaign.

Cheney's 2004 Donations from $1.3 million in income:

The Cheneys donated $303,354 to charity in 2004, primarily from Mrs. Cheney's book royalties from Simon & Schuster on her books America: A Patriotic Primer, A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Woman, and When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots, and the exercise of stock options dedicated to charity pursuant to the Gift Administration Agreement which the Cheneys entered into in January of 2001. The book royalties and the proceeds from the stock options were donated to designated charities on a tax neutral basis.

Note for comparision purposes only:

John Kerry donations between 1999 and 2003 (I only did a quick search and have not found his 2004 tax return info) amounted to 13.2% of his stated income, or $125,921 in charitible giving on a total of $954,686 of income during that period. While this is comparable to the percentage of income President Bush donates, it is interesting to note that Kerry's stated income is not enough to even cover the property taxes on the property he owns. One there fore questions whether the percentage of giving is credible. No question about the dollar amount.

A recent study by Catologue for Philanthropy would lead a rational person to conclude that conservatives are more philanthropic then their liberal counterparts.

The Catalogue For Philanthropy conducted a study of the fifty states in the union and looked in to the charitable giving patterns of the residents of those states.

The Catalogue For Philanthropy used a generosity index that looked at the money earned vs. money donated to charities. It is based on income tax returns for 2003.

The top 25 states in the union were GOP states while the bottom nine states were Democratic states.
    Last edited by RegulationE; 12-08-2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: insert link to the generosity index

Re: Democrats are pessimists and America is on the right track (take two)

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE

Note for comparision purposes only:

John Kerry donations between 1999 and 2003 (I only did a quick search and have not found his 2004 tax return info) amounted to 13.2% of his stated income, or $125,921 in charitible giving on a total of $954,686 of income during that period. While this is comparable to the percentage of income President Bush donates, it is interesting to note that Kerry's stated income is not enough to even cover the property taxes on the property he owns. One there fore questions whether the percentage of giving is credible. No question about the dollar amount.

A recent study by Catologue for Philanthropy would lead a rational person to conclude that conservatives are more philanthropic then their liberal counterparts.

The Catalogue For Philanthropy conducted a study of the fifty states in the union and looked in to the charitable giving patterns of the residents of those states.

The Catalogue For Philanthropy used a generosity index that looked at the money earned vs. money donated to charities. It is based on income tax returns for 2003.

The top 25 states in the union were GOP states while the bottom nine states were Democratic states.

Could that be that more Philanthropists live in GOP states? Just kidding. But do you know where I can find out what criteria they use to determine these kinds of standings?

Lady Mod

Lady Mod: Here are the two links to information on how the index was created.

The FAQs
    Technical Notes

Thanks Reg. These will be great. I am curious what goes into these decisions when they set these polls up.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Lady Mod: Here are the two links to information on how the index was created.

The FAQs
    Technical Notes

Great thread RegulationE. This thread gets to the bottom of why Democrats are wrong about so much and Republicans are the right way to vote. Democrats whole ideology is based off of those that are rich are not deserving of their wealth and they are selfish, so their wealth must be ripped from them to be given to people who Democrats deem are more deserving (the poor). How Democrats do this is in the belief that government knows best and government can determine best who is most deserving.

Republicans on the other hand are very compassionate, believe in making the choice on who can best use their charity with the money they sweated and risked to earn by directing their charitable giving to worthy causes.

Which approach is more moral and compassionate? Well an approach that respects those who earned their money and ensures those in need are taken care of is far better and more fair then an approach that disrespects those who worked for their wealth and made it possible for there to be wealth available to use charitably to assist those in need.

The ignorant post by Rawb which RegulationE so expertly rebuffed is again why liberals are out of touch with America.

war_man is offline the gatekeeper of honesty and integrity in self

Quote Originally Posted by Betamanmn
    Great thread RegulationE. This thread gets to the bottom of why Democrats are wrong about so much and Republicans are the right way to vote. Democrats whole ideology is based off of those that are rich are not deserving of their wealth and they are selfish, so their wealth must be ripped from them to be given to people who Democrats deem are more deserving (the poor). How Democrats do this is in the belief that government knows best and government can determine best who is most deserving.

Republicans on the other hand are very compassionate, believe in making the choice on who can best use their charity with the money they sweated and risked to earn by directing their charitable giving to worthy causes.

Which approach is more moral and compassionate? Well an approach that respects those who earned their money and ensures those in need are taken care of is far better and more fair then an approach that disrespects those who worked for their wealth and made it possible for there to be wealth available to use charitably to assist those in need.

The ignorant post by Rawb which RegulationE so expertly rebuffed is again why liberals are out of touch with America.
    Ill say this and then ill not say another naive word to anyone Lady Mod I promise,,, Hey man,I dont know you. But who hell are you to say Rawbs out touch and your not.. State your oppinions not Directly at people on here, it might keep the many angles you have about yourself from being attacked. No one on here should be aloud to play Judge,Jurror,and executioner of another member.. Only Lady Mod has that authority on here.. Liberals out of touch,, man you dont even want to get me started.. Enough said,, You have a good one..
    war_on_scam

America is on the right track? Hmmmmm. Lets talk about the druken sailor spending of the conservative mindset that is slowly ruining our country. Or how our government can be seen as a corporation for profit, instead of a government for all people. If this Republican administration represents the conservative way of thinking the next three years are in big trouble. Instead of being a producing and exporting industrial nation, under Bush we are becoming a non-producing, imports only and foriegn debt held nation that does not mind sending all of our higher paying intelligent jobs overseas. Even these 215,000 jobs the administration keeps harping about are resturant jobs that mainly depend on tips which are taxed or retail seasonal jobs that will disappear after Santa has left town. What's going on in Washington is not conservatisim that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy4887
    America is on the right track? Hmmmmm. Lets talk about the druken sailor spending of the conservative mindset that is slowly ruining our country.
    Guess you missed my break down showing that there was virtually no difference in spending between the Clinton Administration and this Bush Administration. The National debt has gone up less thin 100 Billion dollars since the Reagon Administistration if you subtract off the interest added to the debt every year.

While Clinton claimed there was a surplus during his tenure in office, even his administration spent MORE then the country took in each and every year. In fact every administration since 1969 has spent more money then the country took in each and every year.

This is not simply a Bush Administration problem. It is a problem caused by both parties since 1969. You want to fix it? Add a balanced budget ammendment to the US Constitution. Neither Party is going to propose that.

Or how our government can be seen as a corporation for profit, instead of a government for all people. If this Republican administration represents the conservative way of thinking the next three years are in big trouble. Instead of being a producing and exporting industrial nation, under Bush we are becoming a non-producing, imports only and foriegn debt held nation that does not mind sending all of our higher paying intelligent jobs overseas.
    Again, this is not a Republican problem nor is it a Democrat problem....at least not singularly. It is a Political problem and until politicians stop worrying about getting re-elected each election and start doing what needs to be done the problem will continue.

High paying Tech jobs are slowing but surely coming back to the states. I have had discussions with high ranking officials with in Dell and Intuit regarding the out sourcing of our technology jobs. What once looked like a good thing because it saved salary money, is turning out to be a more costly problem for the companies because of the lack of customer service the can expect from foriegn workers. (one of my companies is in the technology field)

High Tech companies are looking very close at the cost of doing business using foriegn programmers and support staff. The bottom line is not looking as good as they thought it might from the start.

Even these 215,000 jobs the administration keeps harping about are resturant jobs that mainly depend on tips which are taxed or retail seasonal jobs that will disappear after Santa has left town. What's going on in Washington is not conservatisim that's for sure.
    Some of the areas where new jobs are being created include biotechnology, nanotechnology, geospatial technology; health care; financial services; and the skilled trades. In health care alone, there is a tremendous shortage of skilled workers. Yes those are very low paying jobs. In my area, and LPN just out of school will not only have a job almost immediately, many health care providers are offering signing bonuses. Average starting pay in my area is over $30,000 per year plus benefits and I am in middle America.

Quote Originally Posted by Betamanmn

Oh compassionate one, am I worthy? Please throw a few crumbs in my direction. I repent my evil ways. I am sorry that I lobbied for a minimum wage, because I know it took money out of your pocket. I apologize for asking for regulations to make my work place safer. That money you spent could have been used by you in so many ways. I feel so ashamed of taking more money for my time just because I worked more than 40 hours. I know how unfair it is to you.

Please, please forgive me for asking you to pay taxes. I am more than happy to provide the funds needed to build the infrastructure of roads, rails, bridges, public schools, the power grid, the internet and all the systems needed to help you move your products more efficiently and make yet even more money. I know you need and use them more than I. I hang my head in shame knowing that I cost you so much because of that false notion I had that the sky and environment belonged to everyone. It brings tears to my eyes knowing how much I cost you with all those stupid environmental regulations. Oh those damn regulations! For you I would be more than happy to eat green meat.

How could I have been so disillusioned to believe that government should help the less fortunate! We were so much better off before, when America was America and everyman was responsible for himself. I know now that this country panicked after the Great Depression. People survived, it’s not as if everyone died. And what the hell is wrong with soup lines? The lazy bastards weren’t doing anything other than sitting around crying about not having a job.

I repent my evil, pinko, communist ways. Please throw just one crumb my way. Please?

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    I feel so ashamed of taking more money for my time just because I worked more than 40 hours. I know how unfair it is to you.
    I really is too bad you are joking about this because, while the overtime is unfair to the company, it is also unfair to you and your family.

While Unions had a place in this country and did a lot of good for the average worker, they have long out lived their usefulness in one aspect. They are killing the American worker.

If you want to understand why it is unfair to everyone involved, I will be glad to explain it to you. However it is a rather long post and I will not bore everyone with the details.

Let's simply say that I have experience with employees who thought over time was great, until I showed them how they where being cheated and also showed them how to make more money in less time simply by being productive.

Very few people wake up in the morning and say....man I hope I get to work a bunch of overtime this week. I just love working longer and logner hours. It is so great, I get so much extra time away from teh things I really want to do! Hope I get to work 80 hours this week, that would be awesome.

I know you are about to say, I know all kinds of peole like that, I am one of them....blah blah blah blah blah.

The truth is the majority of the people who want the overtime want the extra money they get paid, not the extra time on the job that comes with it. People do not normally want to work two jobs, they want the extra income.

Unions in this country made the average worker lazy, or maybe just less productive. I know more then 50 companies in one industry I am in that have changed the mindset of their employees. One friend of mine hires all his labor force in at an average wage of $15.00 per hour. They work zero overtime and the average labor worker brings home not less then $23 per hour worked.

Nothing like giving yourself a raise of over $8.00 per hour simply by being productive and not wasting time. The employee trying to make the same amount per year using overtime would be working a 47.5 hour week compared to the 40 hour week of my friends employees.

Where he used to have trouble finding good help, he now has virtually no turnover and people beating down his door for a job. Word gets out that you pay well and everyone wants to work for you. You now get the cream of the crop to choose from.

Good for emplyees, good for business. This is what is known as a win - win where as overtime is really a lose-lose

I really is too bad you are joking about this because, while the overtime is unfair to the company, it is also unfair to you and your family.

While Unions had a place in this country and did a lot of good for the average worker, they have long out lived their usefulness in one aspect. They are killing the American worker.

If you want to understand why it is unfair to everyone involved, I will be glad to explain it to you. However it is a rather long post and I will not bore everyone with the details.

Let's simply say that I have experience with employees who thought over time was great, until I showed them how they where being cheated and also showed them how to make more money in less time simply by being productive.

Very few people wake up in the morning and say....man I hope I get to work a bunch of overtime this week. I just love working longer and logner hours. It is so great, I get so much extra time away from teh things I really want to do! Hope I get to work 80 hours this week, that would be awesome.

I know you are about to say, I know all kinds of peole like that, I am one of them....blah blah blah blah blah.

The truth is the majority of the people who want the overtime want the extra money they get paid, not the extra time on the job that comes with it. People do not normally want to work two jobs, they want the extra income.

Unions in this country made the average worker lazy, or maybe just less productive. I know more then 50 companies in one industry I am in that have changed the mindset of their employees. One friend of mine hires all his labor force in at an average wage of $15.00 per hour. They work zero overtime and the average labor worker brings home not less then $23 per hour worked.

Nothing like giving yourself a raise of over $8.00 per hour simply by being productive and not wasting time. The employee trying to make the same amount per year using overtime would be working a 47.5 hour week compared to the 40 hour week of my friends employees.

Where he used to have trouble finding good help, he now has virtually no turnover and people beating down his door for a job. Word gets out that you pay well and everyone wants to work for you. You now get the cream of the crop to choose from.

Good for emplyees, good for business. This is what is known as a win - win where as overtime is really a lose-lose
    I don't quite know where it was that I mentioned anything about unions. Overtime pay is the law, and a good one at that. I am sure union pressure helped to get it passed into law. No one should have to work 60 to 80 hours a week to make a decent living. Life is too short.

I don't really want to get into a discussion about unions, but suffice to say that there was a time there was no unions and it was not a good time to be a worker. Everything that is today, is a result of what was before. That is something I see republicans having trouble understanding. Do you think that for one moment that if workers had not united to form unions, had not made life better for the working person, you would see companies like the one you described?

Bairdi,

I do not believe you mentioned Unions. I do believe we may see closer to eye to eye on Unions but that is a whole different topic.

I mentioned Unions as a lead in to why the average worker expects overtime and believes it is a positive thing when in fact it is not good for anyone, except maybe the union reps.

The company I discribed is one that I am very familiar with and it is not Union, nor would it ever be. And if it where, the pay program would not be allowed to work.

I ask you to read this line, it was the second one in my post:

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    Overtime pay is the law, and a good one at that. I am sure union pressure helped to get it passed into law. No one should have to work 60 to 80 hours a week to make a decent living. Life is too short.
    I agree with the overtime law. It becomes a problem when worker productivity falls below the norm (or budgeted) because the employees have learned they can work slower and longer and make more money.

As long as I, as the company owner, have the right to fire an employee simply for not being as productive as safely possible, no problem with the overtime law.

But I got us off topic of the thread title so I will stop there.

Tremendous shortage of skilled workers???? Come to the east coast...Home of Outsourcing! The NE is crawling with techies that lost their jobs to India.

Quote Originally Posted by Synik
    Tremendous shortage of skilled workers???? Come to the east coast...Home of Outsourcing! The NE is crawling with techies that lost their jobs to India.
    A Computer tech is not an Nano tech. That is one of the problems we face. We have skilled workers who are not skilled in the new technologies.

They must be retrained just as you would have to retrain the factory worker to do a new job.

And BTW if you are speaking of the laid of IT people from the Internet Boom/Bust we had the same delima in Silicon Valley. And frankly, the ones I new in Silicon Valley would run circles around the ones I knew on the East Coast. Granted I didn't know a lot on the East Coast, probably got lucky and only meet the dudes. :(

I mentioned Unions as a lead in to why the average worker expects overtime and believes it is a positive thing when in fact it is not good for anyone, except maybe the union reps.

I don't think that is the case with all unions. Had there not been unions California would see an explosion of WalMart super centers blossoming all over that state. WalMart has not been known to pay the help well or provide paid benefits for their employees. Unions do that.

My husband works in a union. He is an electric lineman. Because of the union, he has paid medical, paid retirement, decent wages and most importantly, safe working conditions. Hey, when you work around thousands and thousands of volts of electricity, you WANT safe working conditions. There are strict hours of allowed work, overtime is double time, but that's rarely the reason guys stay in the Electrical union.

When he worked in the rat companies, he was paid a third of what he makes now per hour, there was no retirement supplied, no health insurance and the safety conditions are deplorable. He lost several friends because the equipment and standards were so second rate. In the rat companies, the guys look forward to the overtime because that's about the only time they can get ahead. In the union, working overtime just pops you into a higher tax bracket, it's not that appealing of a commodity.

I don't know what unions you had in mind when you made your post, Reg, but they do fulfill a service to the members. Some may be run by bad people, but unions themselves I don't believe are a bad thing and I don't believe they have outlived their usefulness.

Now, perhaps if all other non-union companies would do as your friend did and actually pay well and provide benefits, then we might be able to honestly say that the days of needing the unions have past. But I don't see that happening any time in the near future.

Sorry for taking this off topic. But I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on the Union.

OK, go back to Democrat bashing folks.

Lady Mod