Poll: What Was Your Favorite NFL Running Back Current & Past?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

war_man is offline the gatekeeper of honesty and integrity in self User Rank

List The Top 5 Greatest NFL Running backs Of History.

List The Top 5 Greatest NFL Running Backs Of History.
    1) Walter Payton-Chicago Bears [/U] Not because he passed away, But because quite simply he was great Runner And my oppinion still holds the nfl mark for most yards running from the line of scrimage. If you took careers from beginning to end he did it in fewer years then the im gonna run till arthritas completly cripples me Emitt Smith did, And i rated him higher then Jim Brown simply because i feel he was better then Jim Brown.

2)Eric Dickerson-Los Angeles Rams Very gifted back and still holds the single season rushing mark with 2,105 yards.This was a hard chose between Dickerson and Barry Sanders, But ill give the spot to Eric Dickerson Based on The unbroken single season mark thats still unbroken.

3)Barry Sanders-Detroit Lions The human highlight reel could have easily been 1 or 2 on this list, A Great runner that was a great joy to watch, Also in alite group with Dickerson For going over 2,000 yards in a single season.

4)Earl Cambell-Houston Oilers The hardest hitting back to ever put on a pair of cleets, Ran over Jack Lambert the great linebacker for the steelers One on One,, Held the mark for the AFC in rushing a number of years in the late 70s and early 80s..

5)O.J Simpson-Buffalo Bills I know, I know,, But regardless of what he may or may not have done other wise, he was a great running back, Setting the latter to be broken by Dickerson of 2003 yards in a single season, only 3 other backs have ever broken it since,, Dickerson, Sanders, Lewis....

Theres great backs that were not mentioned here, so tell me and everyone what your list looks like...........
    war_on_scam

Re: List The Top 5 Greatest NFL Running backs Of History.

As i stated earlier the running backs you think your missing are in the voting for the most part,, If you would like to talk football, Please state your oppinion here.....
    war_on_scam

Jim Brown. Period....and that's coming from a Packers fan.

He did it all and in a shortend season.

Quote Originally Posted by Synik

Dickerson was so much fun to watch run in college. He just seemed to glide.

Sanders was amazing. Can you imagine him on a team that could block and throw? Defenses basically had to stop him and they couldn't do it.

Payton...class act the whole way. Same with Sanders for much of his career, glad he got to win in the end.

OJ...if not for the whole killing your wife thing, he was a great back as well.

Brown...must have been great, but I never saw him, to young.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA4
    Dickerson was so much fun to watch run in college. He just seemed to glide.

Sanders was amazing. Can you imagine him on a team that could block and throw? Defenses basically had to stop him and they couldn't do it.

Payton...class act the whole way. Same with Sanders for much of his career, glad he got to win in the end.

OJ...if not for the whole killing your wife thing, he was a great back as well.

Brown...must have been great, but I never saw him, to young.
    Wow a Dickerson fan man thats great, I loved watching Dickerson run as well in College at SMU and in Pro with my team the Rams yea he was amazing and never in my oppinion got the credit he should have, if you turned his 8 seasons into 12 like alot of the guys Smith would still be running to catch up to Dickerson for the all time rushing record,, 2,105 yards in a single season totally amazing.. Any Barry Sanders awesome, and Walter Payton an icon, and yea old O.J simson based on football and football alone he was great.. Jim Brown somewhat before my time as well but was a very great runner as well..
    Im surprised you didnt go with Emmit Smith, Being a cowboys fan. He was good in my oppinion not great, He got the record from Payton based on time served alone not from being better then any of my top 5, But ill never say he wasnt good cause he was,, I think some people might be upset i didnt ad Jim Brown in my top 10 vote, But i needed to make room forthe star backs of today, And you may have a VOTE LEFT CPA4 YOU GET TWO one for history and one for your favorite todays running backs as well.. I Voted for Dickerson and Marshal Faulk the best all arround back ive ever seen, But his getting old for the Rams i guess for them now its up to Steven Jackson.. Take care man hey keep um comin, I enjoy talking to you...
    war_on_scam

Quote Originally Posted by Synik

Yea he most certainly did, Jim Brown was Great and could have easily been in the vote, "sorry about that" I probally should have added him, and would have if would have had more room..
    war_on_scam

Also just recently i remembered someone else that could have fit in this list relativly easy Gale Sayers, Sorry Gale you were a great one as well.
    war_on_scam

My current vote would be for the running back from KC. That kid made the Cowboy defense look like they were in quicksand.

Emmitt was a good, very good running back. I agree that he got the record based on longivity. There was really nothing spectacular about him, except that he never seemed to get hit hard and never got hurt.

Cowboys don't win those Super Bowls without him, but they also don't win them without Aikman or Irving. Truly three complementary players.

My current vote would be for the running back from KC. That kid made the Cowboy defense look like they were in quicksand.

Emmitt was a good, very good running back. I agree that he got the record based on longivity. There was really nothing spectacular about him, except that he never seemed to get hit hard and never got hurt.

Cowboys don't win those Super Bowls without him, but they also don't win them without Aikman or Irving. Truly three complementary players.
    Your talking about Priest Holmes, Yea his Marshal Faulk type and his very very good know question about that. Good Pick..
    Last edited by war_man; 12-16-2005 at 11:35 PM.
    war_on_scam

Quote Originally Posted by war_man
    Your talking about Priest Holmes, Yea his Marshal Faulk type and his very very good know question about that. Good Pick..

Priest Holmes is good, but I think the one is Larry Johnson. Rookie, great runner.

Priest Holmes is good, but I think the one is Larry Johnson. Rookie, great runner.
    Yea I believe your right, I have not followed Chief football that close this year. But i have heard of Larry Johnson when he was in college.
    war_on_scam

oj simpson is superb because he did his 2000 yard year in a 14 game season...he averaged 143 yards per game that year...as for whether anyone can break emmit's new record, the only one that stands a chance is LT, and that's if he has a good line for the rest of his career

The title of the thread is "List The Top 5 Greatest NFL Running backs Of History". However, the title of this poll is "What Was Your Favorite NFL Running Back Current & Past?" So which one should we vote for? The greatest running back or our favorite running back???

If it's the greatest running back you want, look no further than the great Jim Brown. He put up phenomenal numbers, and as Synik said earlier... He did it all in shortened seasons.

If you want to know what my favorite running back is, then it's Tony Dorsett. If I had to pick from the list then it's Emmit Smith. I guess you can tell I'm a lifelong Cowboy fan. :p

Topgun

davekross Guest

I like OJ the best.

Sweetness.
    Mike Ditka called him "the best football player I've ever seen."
    Sweetness wins it hands down, not only because he was the greatest runner, but he was also probably the best blocking back you ever saw. None of the others could hold a candle to Walter when it comes to blocking. The guy was simply the best "all round" Running Back the game has seen thus far.

Emmitt Smith, Dallas Cowboys!
    * Endurance, yardage record holder, 3 Super Bowls
    Certainly a workhorse despite not always getting much help. Class act!

Barry Sanders, Detroit Lions-
    Imagine what he could have done with...best back without a ring.