+ Reply to Thread

Any free gift sites for Canadians?

I have been looking for free gift sites and only came accross one that allows Canadians to participate? I signed up for freepay.com and I am waiting for an ipod, but I am looking for other sites now. Someone please help me find some more sites.

Re: Any free gift sites for Canadians?

are you saying that cos you're Canadian you aren't
    allowed to join ? What's Canada done that soooo bad ?

M

I haven't seen anything, but try asking over at www.redflagdeals.com which specializes in Canadian Deals. They have a forum over there.

I am also looking for information on Canadian gift sites, but RedFlagDeals has banned "free money" threads in their forum due to their "dubious reputation." Does anyone know of any good Canadian gift sites, like any counterpart fo YF or Metareward, or a slightly less tuffy forum that might openly discuss them?

Hi all,

Still looking, and wondering if there's anyone new here who might know. I just moved up here, and have to get things like credit cards anyway, and of course after my experience in the States, getting a credit card without something free attached is unthinkable...

livinfree Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martin77
    are you saying that cos you're Canadian you aren't
    allowed to join ? What's Canada done that soooo bad ?

M
    Martin,
    It isn't what the canadians have done, it is what american industry is doing. Read the fine print on any site offering free goodies or "special deals", usually it will read "has to be a US citizen",and quite often you only discover this after they have trapped your info after submitting an entry form, yet they then have no problem whatsoever sending me all thier **** e-mail for offers that are no good to me anyway or ever try typing a canadian postal code into that little box titled zipcode? Go ahead, try typing 6 characters into a box which is only designed to accomadate 5 characters. GOOD LUCK!

We canucks should not be descriminated against EH? Maybe it is just that these marketing companies south of the border assume that we canadians just simply don't have the room in our igloos for a big screen t.v., little do they know, our igloos are much roomier once inside than they appear from outside. Take mine for instance, I could easily mount a bigscreen LCD on snow block # 1781, right between my hottub and my reserves of dried back bacon. That way, I can still watch quality canadian programming, like hockey, or "Trailer park boys" while I swim laps in my indoor heated pool. Maybe......They are just zealous, over the fact that they can't chop a hole in thier kitchen floor, drop a line down, and catch fresh fish for dinner.
    This is one theory anyway, EH?
    Gotta go club a couple seals now, I need some oil for my lamp as it is beginning to flicker.

It's not a matter of bias or discrimination, it's a matter of the gift company not wanting to get involved in cross-border legal issues. The companies want to be able to sue site members in court, if need be, and that becomes very difficult when the member is a foreign national or lives in another country.

In the case of the former, the member could simply go home and avoid prosecution. It's a slim hope that the home country would extradite a member for $2000 worth of fraud. In the case of the latter, the member might be able to claim that the agreement is null and void since it is not based on his home country's laws or some similar argument.

A US company, chartered under US laws, and operating under US laws has invested a lot of time and money to hew to US laws. They can't afford to do what legal steps are needed to operate in Mexico, Canada, Europe, South America, etc due to the myriad laws that would have to be followed and the increasing chance of messing up and costing them hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars.

If you don't think it's a minefield, look up the pit that Chrysler fell into when they merged with Daimler. Chrysler was supposed to be the dominant partner, but their legal department goofed when it allowed the deal to be signed in Germany, where Daimler would be the dominant partner under German law. Since the pact was signed in Germany, German law was the controlling law and Daimler took control.