+ Reply to Thread

Conservatives Never Listen....

.... and neither do liberals. ;)

Hello People,

I am reading threads, replies, and arguments and counter arguments. However, NO ONE seems to LISTEN to each other. What can I say to make just one of you THINK about the situation going on in this country? What can one side say to the other side, in order to get some kind of consensus? It seems we all go around in circle, making the same arguments in every thread.

I say: "We had no right to invade a sovereign nation who was no threat to us."
    The reply: "Yes we did because Saddam Hussein is a bad man, killing his people and gearing up to start a nuclear weapons program."

I say: " The Iraqi people did not ask us for our help."
    The reply: "It doers no t matter if they asked, we (ths US) did what was right."

I say: "There is more then one way to deal with threats to our nation."
    The reply: "No there is not. We must put our money where our mouth is. " We must be strong and defeat terrorists, where ever they are, no matter the cost." "We must kill as many terrorists as possible, because they want to destroy our 'Christian" nation."

I say: There are many victims familles of September 11, 2001, who do not want bloodshed, done in their name."
    The reply: "Well if they do not, they are part of the problem."

I say: "We have broken international laws, the we (the US) have voted for and ratified."
    The reply: "So what." "International law, we don't need no stinkin,' international law."

I say: "It is against the law to commit perjury, and obstruct justice."
    The reply: "If you lie about something that is not illegal, you did not commit a crime."
    "If you lie to a reporter, you did not commit a crime."

I say: Read history, and understand what is happening now, is to understand what went on before."
    The reply: Actually there is none.

I say: "Nothing happens in a vacuum. There is no black and white way of interpreting the world."
    The reply: "The only answer is yes or no."

I want to start to find some kind of consensus. So, I will start.

What I have learned from the conservatives of this board:

1. Planned Parenthood's representatives tell young girls not to give details about the age of their sex partners. Which can be seen as protecting child molesters. Very disturbing.

2. The ACLU's website does not encourage free speech. Hypocritical to say the least.

3. Just in today; A solider working in Iraq has seen with his own eyes weapons of mass destruction, or the ability to make them. Very interesting.

4. Joseph Wilson is kind of glib, and has been known to play fast and loose with the facts.

5. Political correctness, can be very damaging, and does distort honest dialogue.

6. The "left," "liberals," "democrats," can be shrill, misleading, stupid, and annoying.

7. The main stream media, is worthless and a waste of time. ( Actually, I already knew that, but reading message boards, really brings it home to me).

These are some of the things I have learned. Now I challenge the more conservative members of this board to tell us what they have learned from their opposite number.:)

DeeDee1965

Re: Conservatives Never Listen....

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    What I have learned from the conservatives of this board:

1. Planned Parenthood's representatives tell young girls not to give details about the age of their sex partners. Which can be seen as protecting child molesters. Very disturbing.

2. The ACLU's website does not encourage free speech. Hypocritical to say the least.

3. Just in today; A solider working in Iraq has seen with his own eyes weapons of mass destruction, or the ability to make them. Very interesting.

4. Joseph Wilson is kind of glib, and has been known to play fast and loose with the facts.

5. Political correctness, can be very damaging, and does distort honest dialogue.

6. The "left," "liberals," "democrats," can be shrill, misleading, stupid, and annoying.

7. The main stream media, is worthless and a waste of time. ( Actually, I already knew that, but reading message boards, really brings it home to me).

These are some of the things I have learned. Now I challenge the more conservative members of this board to tell us what they have learned from their opposite number.:)

DeeDee1965
    That is a longer list then I would have expected :)

What I have learned from the liberals of this board: (note the bolded portion)

1. They are no different then the conservatives on this board with exception to their point of view. As you said, neither seems to listen much.

2. They believe if you don't agree with their point of view you must be a brainless, non thinking follower. (sometimes referred to as "monkey")

3. The Republican President is completely responsible for anything that happens unless is it positive.

4. That there are some pretty scarey conservatives running around this country.

5. Reaffirmed what I have known for a long time, main stream press is agenda oriented and if you want the real truth you have to read between the lines of both liberal and conservative reporting.

6. There are a lot of very scarey websites promoting some pretty crazy conspiracy theories.

7. (most important) People in general would rather be right then understand the truth that is around them.

Wow, both of you, terrific posts. I'm tempted to make this a sticky =)

I have learned much about Israel's not-always-clear motives and the truly unsolvable nature of their conflict with the Palestinians.

I have learned that lies, repeated over and over, really do become entities of their own and subject to debate as though they were fact.

I have learned that the concept of 'free speech' means different things to different political groups.

I have learned that DeeDee is FANTASTIC...an ACTUAL kind and caring person...
    Last edited by pwrone; 11-30-2005 at 07:06 AM.

What I've learned from this board,

I've learned that Everyone has an opinion and that there are a few on both sides who will not tolerate any that are differing from theirs.

I've learned that both sides have good ideas and if they would stop worrying about being right and consider working together we could probably fix a lot of what is wrong in this country.

I've learned a lot of creative uses for names I had never heard before coming to scam.com.

I've learned that there was a reason why I don't care to discuss politics, lol.

I've learned that I like people on both sides of the debate despite our differences.

And I'm sure this was not exactly what you meant DeeDee but you, Pwrone and RegE pretty much said it all.

Namaste'

Lady Mod