Poll: What to you think of a new forum?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

A Kinder, More Gentle Political Forum...

I will be cleaning up this forum. If you are out of control and must call people names you will run the risk of being banned. No death threats, NO changing the words so your cursing will show up as cursing. And I'm not going to give you subtle hints and out right correction, you'll just be gone. First offence, 2 weeks, anything after that, permanent. If I'm feeling generous I might lesson your banning to one week and you might get a second chance. IT depends on the infraction and frankly, my mood that day. Those who have been banned from this forum before, you might not get another chance, I suggest you exercise adult behavior from now on.

Do NOT post threads worded in such a way that they are designed to just inflame people and not allow a differing opinion. Too many of those and I'll take that as your sign that you need to be removed from the forum. (Addendum: This does NOT apply to controversial subject matter. It applys to personal commentary that prefaces or describes the article you post in the opening post of the thread. I do expect people to post unpopular views without fear of being banned, but don't direct your commentary in that post at any liberals or conservatives, etc. on the forum. In other words, don't be so general in your comments that people think you are referring to them as well.Be specific, leave no doubt about who you are referring to.)

Do what I do, take time away from this forum, read other threads, if this one pisses you off so badly. If you want to cuss and call names, do it in the Vent Room, that's what it was created for and the rules have been altered to allow that so you might want to go check that room again. As of December 1st, these rules will be strictly enforced.

By the New Year, you will have a political forum that people will be friendly in, period.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 12-17-2005 at 01:33 AM.

Re: A Kinder, More Gentle Political Forum...

I appreciate the opportunity to return to this site. I think, however, that a more specific system might be considered. This political forum is, for the most part, made up of people who know each other pretty well. New people are not routinely run off, and all the 'friendly' discourse in the world won't encourage newbies. I think that there are unique properties to this particular forum and that eliminating emotion by decree will have a dull and colorless result. Lets face it...Bush is the target of liberals and liberals are the target of conservatives. As long as insults are directed away from specific members of this forum, all should be fair. Maybe we should all start with a clean slate anyway, including dchristie. I will never understand why people can not simply ignore posts that they do not like or agree with.

I think we should all try to emulate RegulationE and DeeDee. They manage to get their points across without calling names or cussing.

And they don't mind people disagreeing.

Welcome back Pwrone, I apologize to you for being an ass.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

And I apologize to you as well. I broke my own rule of not posting "at" anyone on this forum. I really do not confuse you or the folks on this forum with the liberal politicians that I so despise...that one just got away from me.
    Last edited by pwrone; 11-27-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Hi all...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families and ate to your heart's content!!! :)

Hi Lady Mod...

I can appreciate what you are doing here to change the environment of this forum for those who get offended by the language and "knock-down-drag-outs" that take place here from time to time. But I have to say that I personally do not agree with the censorship.

I am one of the worse ones to "go off" in here when pwrone or some other Bush lover defends his insane stupidity! I am not willing to put the effort into containing myself when it comes to this President and his scumbag cronies.... It takes much more time for me to be civil about him than it does to simply type what is on my mind at that moment; and quite frankly - he is not worth that much of my energy - I DESPISE him... :rolleyes:

So, if this is how things are going to be here, I will simply leave this forum and save you the trouble of having to ban me!

You know I respect your position on this, Stephanie, and wish you well in accomplishing what you feel is right here. I know I COULD do what you are asking - I'm just not WILLING to... :)
    It was great fun while it lasted - THANKS!

To Stephanie, pwrone, PaulM, tommywho (if you're still reading this forum!)DeeDee, lexx, Smashingplates (if you see this), Raider, Payek, umdkook, dchristie, ianmatthews, and EVERYONE else:

It's been REAL - you guys rock!

Merry Christmas & all the best in 2006.. ;)

Take care, Susan
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 11-28-2005 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    Hi all...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families and ate to your heart's content!!! :)

Hi Lady Mod...

I can appreciate what you are doing here to change the environment of this forum for those who get offended by the language and "knock-down-drag-outs" that take place here from time to time. But I have to say that I personally do not agree with the censorship.

I am one of the worse ones to "go off" in here when pwrone or some other Bush lover defends his insane stupidity! I am not willing to put the effort into containing myself when it comes to this President and his scumbag cronies.... It takes much more time for me to be civil about him than it does to simply type what is on my mind at that moment; and quite frankly - he is not worth that much of my energy - I DESPISE him... :rolleyes:

So, if this is how things are going to be here, I will simply leave this forum and save you the trouble of having to ban me!

You know I respect your position on this, Stephanie, and wish you well in accomplishing what you feel is right here. I know I COULD do what you are asking - I'm just not WILLING to... :)

To Stephanie, pwrone, PaulM, tommywho (if you're still reading this forum!)DeeDee, lexx, Smashingplates (if you see this), Raider, Payek, umdkook, dchristie, ianmatthews, and EVERYONE else:

Merry Christmas & all the best in 2006.. ;)

Take care, Susan

C'mon kitten...don't run away!! If you leave now, we may never have the chance to make sweet, sweet love! Never fear...surely we will all be at each others throats before too long. Have a wonderful Christmas and, you know, those other holidays you heathens celebrate, too !

HEY SUSAN, DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I saw your name, I was coming to say howdy. :) I was beginning to wonder where you were, now you are talking about leaving before you get banned. Puulease you know that is not going to happen. :p

I like reading your posts. Yes, your passionate, but also really smart, informed, articulate, and sometimes funny. The world needs smart passionate people. And this board really needs it!! :rolleyes:

Please reconsider!! :D

DeeDee1965

CV, the whole VENT ROOM was your idea. So all you have to do is USE IT. Besides, asking people not to cuss each other out and insult them personally isn't much to ask. We are adults.

You can "think" that they are stupid and idiots, without having to call them stupid or idiot. To say Pwrone, I think you are the most stupid person on the planet is not as harsh as saying, Pwrone, you stupid f***. Sorry Pwrone. LOL. One is an opinion, which you are entitled to, the other is name calling which can be cruel.

Would anyone have any problems with this difference in wording?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lady Mod

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Hope it works, but.... "Popeye the Sailor Man" said: " I 'yam what i
    'yam... and I am already picking up on some innuendoes... veiled,
    velvet handed, but... ;)

Thanks... we did & I'm still full *lol*
    I am not willing to put the effort into containing myself when it comes to this President and his scumbag cronies.... It takes much more time for me to be civil about him than it does to simply type what is on my mind at that moment; and quite frankly - he is not worth that much of my energy - I DESPISE him...
    Then don't... the whole point of LM's rule is that we be civil to each other. I'm sure there would be no Moderator objection to calling GWB whatever you wanted... just not slam-dunking a poster that is in opposition to your position. It is simply a rule against "personal" insults/threats & that kind of thing. It's a challenge, if you will, to behave as the rational adults we claim to be.
    I don't want to see you leave... we've had too many good discussions... some we've agreed on and others we have not, but they were still good.
    If you decide to leave at least don't stay a stranger :)

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    Then don't... the whole point of LM's rule is that we be civil to each other. I'm sure there would be no Moderator objection to calling GWB whatever you wanted... just not slam-dunking a poster that is in opposition to your position. It is simply a rule against "personal" insults/threats & that kind of thing. It's a challenge, if you will, to behave as the rational adults we claim to be.

cheers,
    Paul

EXACTLY what I was trying to achieve here. I've gone to so many forums where only one side of the debate is allowed. Scam is unique in that we allow both sides to vent and air, and I think that is productive to real debate. But we don't have to make personal attacks just because someone doesn't share our views.

We can manage to live next door to a conservative or liberal, we can even manage to live under the same roof in some cases, why can't we manage to debate them on a public forum without resulting to name calling and personal insults?

Pwrone and I sparred many times, it's public knowledge. But only occassionally did one of us cut too deeply that the other took offence to. I think most of the time, he and I just enjoyed the challenge of who was going to best who today? Most likely because we are pretty evenly matched. But a lot of people here don't seem capable of doing that every day, so we'll give it up in the name of "tolerance" and "peace".

Namaste'

Lady Mod

It can work....& here's why:

It's a computer. Just type what you really want to say....Then go back & delete 1/2 of it! :D

CV, you should at least give it a try. If Pwrone's gonna take on the challenge, then we should all be able to. Plus, the venting rm will stay. After this rule goes into effect, I'm sure it will be a hot new thread....haha

At least come back & start us up some new threads now & then. :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by PAYEK
    It's a computer. Just type what you really want to say....Then go back & delete 1/2 of it! :D
    Brilliant idea!

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Brilliant idea!
    Isn't it though. Too bad we can't do that in "real life".. :rolleyes: :D

WOW GUYS!!! It's nice to feel "wanted".. LOL Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone
    C'mon kitten...don't run away!! If you leave now, we may never have the chance to make sweet, sweet love! Never fear...surely we will all be at each others throats before too long. Have a wonderful Christmas and, you know, those other holidays you heathens celebrate, too !
    hey buddy... I think you're HITTING ON ME!! (and not physically either - LOL - sorry, I couldn't resist - LMAO :D ) NO BUSH SUPPORTERS ALLOWED between these "DAMN LIBERAL" legs... that's the rule! Wanna become a DEMOCRAT???? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Behave yourself...!
    "kitten"... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee
    HEY SUSAN, DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I saw your name, I was coming to say howdy. I was beginning to wonder where you were, now you are talking about leaving before you get banned. Puulease you know that is not going to happen.

I like reading your posts. Yes, your passionate, but also really smart, informed, articulate, and sometimes funny. The world needs smart passionate people. And this board really needs it!!

Please reconsider!!

DeeDee1965
    Hi DeeDee... Thank you for the kind words.. :) Busy, busy, busy with all the holiday hoopla - that's why you haven't seen me! I KNOW Lady Mod would ban me for not following the rules - she should and I would expect her to! I have said from the first time you posted here, that I should be more like you! You and Paul are the peacekeepers around here! I admire that characteristic in you - but it's just NOT ME!! It used to be... many years ago. But a few things happened along the way.....

Do you listen to country music at all? Ever heard "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson? That's ME!!! A redneck, ex-Harley riding, loud mouthed, STUBBORN (I'm a Taurus! LOL), don't give a dam what you think of me woman who ABSOLUTELY HATES our President!! Good or bad, I like it that way... don't wanna change it!

I don't really want to leave here, ya know... I like you guys!! But I don't want to cause problems for Lady Mod either - I respect her.

Nice talking to you DeeDee,
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    CV, the whole VENT ROOM was your idea. So all you have to do is USE IT. Besides, asking people not to cuss each other out and insult them personally isn't much to ask. We are adults.

You can "think" that they are stupid and idiots, without having to call them stupid or idiot. To say Pwrone, I think you are the most stupid person on the planet is not as harsh as saying, Pwrone, you stupid f***. Sorry Pwrone. LOL. One is an opinion, which you are entitled to, the other is name calling which can be cruel.

Would anyone have any problems with this difference in wording?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lady Mod
    Hi Lady Mod... I have no problem with not calling other members any bad names... with the exception of pwrone, of course - he's such a B.A.B.E.! - he BEGS for a good cussing every once in while! You're right - this could be handled in the "vent room". Fellow members are not my issue...

It's that bastard of a President, his fat ass Vice, and the rest of those morons that surround his sorry ass that will get me in trouble with you after December 1...

I know what will happen, and I think you do too!! I'll make it easy for both of us and compromise by not posting in threads that involve Bush. There's lots of other topics here - abortion, kids and so on that have been some of my favorite discussions.

PLEASE keep the vent room open though.. JUST IN CASE!!

Thanks
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Hope it works, but.... "Popeye the Sailor Man" said: " I 'yam what i 'yam...
    Good one coontie..

LOL
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    I don't want to see you leave... we've had too many good discussions... some we've agreed on and others we have not, but they were still good.
    If you decide to leave at least don't stay a stranger

cheers,
    Paul
    Hi Paul... I'm glad you had a good time on Thanksgiving - it's good to see you are back to "cheers, Paul"... ;)

My understanding from Lady Mod is that she wants the language cleaned up - Period. I would be very happy to know that this is not what she is saying, but I think it is... So, I guess that SOB in the White House is off limits to me because calling him names is like breathing to me at this point - I do it without even thinking about it!!

As you say, we have had some really good discussions about other topics. I look forward to getting back to them! Very little time for it right now though... CRAZY busy around here with the holidays and all!!

Have fun!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Payek
    It can work....& here's why:

It's a computer. Just type what you really want to say....Then go back & delete 1/2 of it!

CV, you should at least give it a try. If Pwrone's gonna take on the challenge, then we should all be able to. Plus, the venting rm will stay. After this rule goes into effect, I'm sure it will be a hot new thread....haha

At least come back & start us up some new threads now & then.
    Hi Payek... LOL - good idea! But I think you know me well enough to know that I could NEVER do that! I'll just stay away from topics about our President, and things should be fine... ;)

Enjoy the holidays,
    Susan
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 11-29-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Hi all...

Hi Lady Mod...

I am one of the worse ones to "go off" in here when pwrone or some other Bush lover defends his insane stupidity! I am not willing to put the effort into containing myself when it comes to this President and his scumbag cronies.... It takes much more time for me to be civil about him than it does to simply type what is on my mind at that moment; and quite frankly - he is not worth that much of my energy - I DESPISE him...

You know I respect your position on this, Stephanie, and wish you well in accomplishing what you feel is right here. I know I COULD do what you are asking - I'm just not WILLING to...

Merry Christmas & all the best in 2006..

Take care, Susan
    it's all about "will".and "breaking" it is the shortcut preferred method of persuasion.SJA is trying to promote a kinder gentler way to allow change of will.or finding of mutual will if you will if you will..........dontcha wish this forum stays raw like me!!dontcha!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 11-29-2005 at 10:28 AM.