+ Reply to Thread

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Teaching proper English or Teaching Propaganda?

Hello All,

Even I was kind of taken aback by this article.

Teacher Under Investagation for alleged Liberalism

DeeDee1965

Re: Teaching proper English or Teaching Propaganda?

Hi DeeDee,
    I have to agree... especially with the following statement, but to a point.
    ...Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union Superintendent Wesley Knapp said he would not want his children subjected to such teaching.

"It's absolutely unacceptable," he said. "They (teachers) don't have a license to hold forth on a particular standpoint."

IMO the teacher in question could only use the questions he did or similar questions, if he taught Social Studies or Political Science. However, the teacher in question is an English teacher.

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    IMO the teacher in question could only use the questions he did or similar questions, if he taught Social Studies or Political Science. However, the teacher in question is an English teacher.

cheers,
    Paul
    I respectfully disagree with your assessment PaulM.

Teachers should be teaching students to think for themselves, not simply repeat the opinion of others. The questions noted in the article are eluding that they are factual and not simply an opinion of the author.

Reminds me of a teacher I had way back in the day who taught social studies (6th grade). Every chance she got she would tell you if you where not a Democrat you where worthless and deserved a failing grade in her class.

Not a problem R.E. I can understand your position. I too have had many a teacher (Social Studies, History, Political Science, Sociology and so forth) toss their political leanings into the mix. And I agree that a teacher's primary job is to instruct on 'how to think'. However, I am just 'traditional' enough to believe that an English teacher should stick to English. Language manipulation can be taught and students challenged without the political leanings. For example; in the 'select the appropriate word' question "...I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes." If a student felt strongly against this position and failed to provide a response, because he felt it would compromise his beliefs, would it be counted against him as an incorrect answer? Probably so. I guess what I'm getting at is that subjects like language or math deal in absolutes which must be adhered to.

I think we can 'agree to disagree' on this one.

cheers,
    Paul

ps... As well... it would be better if we did see the actual test and had a full knowledge of the type of English class this was (Composition or Grammar).

P.
    Last edited by PaulM; 11-27-2005 at 02:54 AM.

PaulM,

We mostly agree on this item. As much as I don't believe the far left should be telling our children what to think, I also believe the far right shouldn't either. Especially not during English class ;)

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

New Rules will soon be in affect. Please aquaint yourselves with them.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=7612

Namaste'

Lady Mod

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Hi People,

I guess the reason I was taken aback was because, teaching kids how to think is one thing. But teaching such biased views on political issue in an English class, is out of place. It might turn many kids off from exploring, and debating issues, if an adult has such strident opinions. You can throw some critical thinking into an English class, but come on, this teacher went a little too far.

It would be nice if kids actually learned English first. :p

DeeDee1965