+ Reply to Thread

Stampede at Wal- Mart. Why??

Hello People,

Here I am again, pontificating. :rolleyes:

After we all digest our turkey, tofurkey, vegan loaf holiday dinners, what can we make of the stampedes, that invariably occur on this new named day, "Black Friday?" While the participants on this board talk, argue, debate the political issues of our times, Americans all across this country, almost kill each other to get "cheap," "mark-downed," "bargain basement price," top of the line quality electronics.

For what reason? Most people do not know how their government works or how their justice system, metes out so-called justice. But they definitely know that a new, soon to be obsolete, piece of electrical gadgetry is worth stampeding over. While healthcare costs soar, housing cost are inflating into a bubble, that will burst very soon, people spend their hard earned dollars on something they have been told is the, "newest, best, most advanced" piece of junk.

So many people in this country are plagued with limited education. Limited world understanding. Limited critical thinking. They are limited not because they are stupid, but because they are spoon fed untrue, contradictory information, misinformation, and titillating TV, movie, and magazine images.

Despite all the arguments about the economy on this board, our economy is sliding into a debt, that when comes due, will bankrupt this country in a way that none of us can imagine. Make no mistake, we are in huge amounts of debt. China, Germany, Saudi Arabia, and other countries own the US. Tax cuts, tax loopholes, corporate welfare, and personal debt, is going to cause a depression that will rival the Great Depression in its scope and longterm impact.

Many Americans across this country, like Pavlovian dogs, run and stampede to buy an electronic gadget, that has been manufactured in another country. They buy cars built in countries where car companies can pay, just this side, of slave wages. They go to Starbucks, or its equivalent to pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee, which is picked by people, paid that same almost slave wage. Whatever intellectual capital that still exists this country, is not shared by most Americans. So the big salaries, are not shared by most Americans. We have a service economy. "Would you like fries with that?" "Have a nice day," is what most of us are saying in order to receive our wage.

GM closes another plant in Michigan, and lays of all the employees (right before Christmas. Scrooge, much?) and we watch people trying to kill each other for a piece of junk. Why?? :confused:

Stampede at Wal-Mart

DeeDee1965

Thanks for your attention, back to regularly scheduled insult fest...oh..er...debate. :)

Re: Stampede at Wal- Mart. Why??

Wow, DeeDee, that is awesomely written with great insight...thank you for the thought-provoking post. :)

America needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

funny,i thought coffee probably helped cause the stampede!? :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Wow, DeeDee, that is awesomely written with great insight...thank you for the thought-provoking post. :)

America needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
    Thank you Boone. I do appreciate your kind words. Sometimes, I just get so upset and fed up it all comes pouring out of me. :(

DeeDee1965

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Thank you Boone. I do appreciate your kind words. Sometimes, I just get so upset and fed up it all comes pouring out of me. :(

DeeDee1965

It is said: if you really want to know the general public complexion,
    demeanor, then pay attention to what is happening out in the public.
    I would say the crowds vieing and fighting for measly material
    consumer goods is just another demonstration of greed and avarice
    present in our society. What does that tell you that we, possibly to
    a great extent, will do to each other if we as a nation are ever in
    a catastropical crisis?
    Another sad thing is the spots on T.V. in commericals and some
    shows where young kids and teenagers are presented as having the
    maturity, wisdom and authority of years to be telling adults what to
    do and saying sassy, smart-mouthed remarks to adults, like they
    know what is right and best.
    Also, the spots where people are touting selfishness in their words and
    deeds as cute and appropriate, including endorsing this when the kids