+ Reply to Thread

www.freecreditreport.com

Okay, yes - I'm an idiot. I just signed up for this "Free" credit report. Gave my CC info. for the free 30 day trial. I did Citi credit monitoring but cancelled that and just wanted to check something on my report real quick. Anyways, I'm freaking out. I have done a google search and see nothing but bad things about this Experian company. I'm so scared. What should I do?? First off, I can't even log in to the account I made since they need to send me some Private Access Code in the mail. And I don't want to get charged for this (people get charged right away in the trial, or even after they cancel - it's NOT looking good). If I cancel my debit card right away can they still charge me (like link my old Visa Debit card # to my bank account??). Help!!! What do I do?? I want to cry.

Re: www.freecreditreport.com

Hello OC_Girl. Don't cry :)
    Yes, i would suggest you to block your card immediately and ask for a new one. AT the same time, send freecreditreport.com an email telling them that you have thought back and don't want their services anymore; explain to them that they don't need to send you the access code via email cause you don't want their services, and that you have cancelled the transaction via your CC company. Do this immediately after you have blocked the card. Acting like this, you protect yourself and at the same time you act fairly, not taking advantage of their service (crap or not) for free. Hope you feel better now :)

Thank you. I am emailing them now. I will also call tomorrow during their business hours. And I will call again towards the end of my trial period to verify cancellation. And request a new card from my bank. I feel a little better. But I'm just nervous of reading about people getting charged even after cancelling.

If you block your card now, you shouldn't incur that risk.

This is one of the biggest, most heavily advertised scams out there.

Free Credit Report dot Com is making a fortune, howelse could they advertise as much as they do.

1. According to Federal Law, the major credit reporting agencies must provide you with one free credit report per year. However you have to write them for it, and wait until they send it to you. That's Experian, TRW, Equifax at least.

2. Freecreditreport.com is misleading people with their advertisement because they do not mention that a Credit Card is required to obtain your free credit report.

3. It's clearly a bait-n-switch situation. "Yeah, we'll give you a free credit report , but only if you sign up for our credit monitoring service."

4. If you sign up, during the sign up process, they say you will be able to log in and cancel your "subscription" to their credit monitoring service, however they have to send you the personal access code via snail mail. Unfortunately they can't control the speed with which the mail is delivered so it could take 90 days to get your access code to cancel your account. Rememeber you're free trial period is only 30 days. Oops, looks like you'll owe them a bundle.

I really think this organization should be investigated by the FTC, for fraud, and misleading statements. Besides I'm sick to death of their commercials.