+ Reply to Thread

Do You All Remember Where You Were?

Hello People,

Just for one moment I want to say something. Today November 22, 2005, is the 45 year anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Today was the day 45 years ago when, in my opinion, the country started on it's downhill spiral. The loss of innocence. The loss of conscience. The loss of civility. The loss of responsibility, and accountability. But most importantly the loss of courage. I now there are many people who can tell the accurate history of the Kennedy administration, but for now I want to talk about what we lost.

There is no one I have ever talked to who does not remember "where they were," when Pres. Kennedy was killed. And in hearing those reminisces, I always, without fail, hear a sadness, and fear. A sadness of things lost. A sadness of opportunities missed. A sadness that speaks to the realization, that the world we live in is filled with such unknowable terror, and danger. If a "beloved" young, handsome, charismatic President can be shot down like a dog in an American city, we are ALL in big trouble. The fear I think comes from knowing that no one is safe. That no one can trust anything or anybody. They cannot trust their government, their elected officials, their law enforcement agencies. I hear in these memories, the certain knowledge that, we as a nation, are wounded, possibly forever.

The past is with us. It is always lurking. We can see it, just out of the corner of our eye. Reminding us that we are vulnerable. But also reminding us, we are still here, and it is up to all of us to make this country the best it could and must be. Not just for ourselves, but for our children, and the next 7 generations. And while working for the present, we must do well, for those that have come before. President Kennedy was not a saint, but he, his young wife Jackie and their two smart, beautiful children John, jr., Caroline brought hope to this country. When Pandora's box was opened with Pres. Kennedy's assassination, the gift of hope did get out this time. We all must recover her.

DeeDee1965

I know, I know, this is sentimental in the extreme. Forgive me. :rolleyes:

Re: Do You All Remember Where You Were?

I was a year old. I haven't a clue where I was. LOL.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hello People,

Just for one moment I want to say something. Today November 22, 2005, is the 45 year anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Today was the day 45 years ago when, in my opinion, the country started on it's downhill spiral. The loss of innocence. The loss of conscience. The loss of civility. The loss of responsibility, and accountability. But most importantly the loss of courage. I now there are many people who can tell the accurate history of the Kennedy administration, but for now I want to talk about what we lost.

There is no one I have ever talked to who does not remember "where they were," when Pres. Kennedy was killed. And in hearing those reminisces, I always, without fail, hear a sadness, and fear. A sadness of things lost. A sadness of opportunities missed. A sadness that speaks to the realization, that the world we live in is filled with such unknowable terror, and danger. If a "beloved" young, handsome, charismatic President can be shot down like a dog in an American city, we are ALL in big trouble. The fear I think comes from knowing that no one is safe. That no one can trust anything or anybody. They cannot trust their government, their elected officials, their law enforcement agencies. I hear in these memories, the certain knowledge that, we as a nation, are wounded, possibly forever.

The past is with us. It is always lurking. We can see it, just out of the corner of our eye. Reminding us that we are vulnerable. But also reminding us, we are still here, and it is up to all of us to make this country the best it could and must be. Not just for ourselves, but for our children, and the next 7 generations. And while working for the present, we must do well, for those that have come before. President Kennedy was not a saint, but he, his young wife Jackie and their two smart, beautiful children John, jr., Caroline brought hope to this country. When Pandora's box was opened with Pres. Kennedy's assassination, the gift of hope did get out this time. We all must recover her.

DeeDee1965

I know, I know, this is sentimental in the extreme. Forgive me. :rolleyes:
    Actually Dee Dee, this is only the 42nd anniversary of that day.You threw me for a loop there DeeDee because I can say I do remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated and when I subtracted 45 years from my age, something just didn't add up. I don't think you are being too sentimental and I agree with you about the loss. I am glad you posted this. I had forgotten the significance of this day and have not heard it mentioned by anyone else.

Thank you Baridi,

I just realized my mistake. I was reading other accounts of that day,and I got maudlin and sentimental. Thanks again. LOL :p

DeeDee1965

OK, now I was four. I still can't remember. I do agree with you though DeeDee. Looking through history since that time, it's been a pretty steady decline since then.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

I was in school... 5th grade... As with most of my class, we only understood the historical significance.

cheers,
    Paul

umdkook Guest

immanual wallerstein's book, the Decline of American Power, says it started in the very early seventies....he might be right.

this country, and the world, is heading downhill fast. I hope the country is strate enough for when my children are born and growing up, cuase the rest of the world sure wont be. we just have to wait and see whether it will be us or the rest of the world that screws things up.

DeeDee - Well, all day I've been thinking ...Nov.22, what am I forgetting....and I do remember it very, very, well. Second grade in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I was in an accident at school. My friend took me off the playground and into the school. The teachers were all crying, not for me, but at the newscast. The janitor drove me home, and my mom was crying, too. We watched the news on our black and white tv. It was a very sad day. I seems to me our differences are not so important, when we realize how much we are the same.

I was in the ninth grade, sitting in my home room, preparing to leave school for the day when the news was announced.

With the exception of 9/11, I can not remember another time in my life where it seemed that the world simply stopped turning, and everyone I knew was just devastated by this horrible event.

I can remember watching it all unfold, including Jack Ruby killing Lee Harvey Oswald on national television. The funeral was almost surreal, and who can ever forget the image of John Kennedy Jr. saluting his dad's coffin.

If you are old enough to remember anything about the energy and vitality that JFK brought to the White House, you can understand how his death crushed most every American, regardless of political stance.

God rest his soul.

Why do you consider this date the downward spiral of American Humanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    Why do you consider this date the downward spiral of American Humanity?
    gee.............do we have ta spoon feed all the right wingers on this board!!especially the silly and idealistic nincompoops!?just kiddin !!mr. skull and bones!!your a realist!!i keep forgettin!!remind me once and a while!!not too often!!i will get numbed by it!! :eek: :p :rolleyes: