+ Reply to Thread

Cheated out of almost $40,000 by Fred Pardes ESQ in Dana Point, California!

In early 2017 my husband and I purchased a small multi-family 5-unit property. We subsequently learned that the seller had failed to make the legally required disclosures under California state law regarding asbestos, lead paint and some other issues. My husband and I being totally naive first time commercial real estate investors did not do the due diligence that we should have. Fast forward to early 2018 and we found ourselves being sued by one of our tenants due to the hazardous materials in the building that we were not even aware of.

After researching the law we discovered we have a valid legal claim against the seller of the property so we began looking for a lawyer to represent us. Shortly thereafter we were introduced to Fred Pardes through a friend we know through our church. Fred seemed like a very nice man in the beginning. In February 2018, we decided to hire Fred. He assured us we had an open and shut case that would be very easy to win. He asked us for a $5,000 retainer which he thought should be sufficient to reach a settlement that would allow us to come out ahead even after dealing with the lawsuit filed against us by our tenant.

After approximately four weeks Fred notified us that he was unable to reach a settlement with the sellers and that they were unwilling to even discuss it. He advised us to go to trial and requested an additional $10,000 to file the suit. We reluctantly agreed.

Over the next six months Fred continued to bill us for numerous additional hours at an hourly rate of $400 while making excusse about how the case was more complicated than originally anticipated but at the same time assuring us that our case was slowly working its way through the legal system. Nine months in my husband and I did an accounting of everything paid to date and were shocked to discover it came to $37,200.

At this point we decided to take matters into our own hands and try to do some detective work regarding the status of the case. We have a friend that's a paralegal and knew how to check the public court records. We were shocked to discover that Fred padres never even filed our case! We immediately demanded an explanation we have yet to receive. For the last few weeks, Fred Pardes has been simply stone walling us and we have been unable to locate him. For all we know he's sitting on beach somewhere in South America enjoying our money.

Now we are left with the original two lawsuits to deal with plus a case of fraud against Fred Pardes!

Please avoid this con artist at all costs. I would hate to think that the same might happen to someone else. This man has no morals!

Re: Cheated out of almost $40,000 by Fred Pardes ESQ in Dana Point, California!

Per his website at http://fredpardes.com/ he retired from practicing law effective 30SEP2017.

He is still listed as active by the California State Bar. His record also shows no disciplinary nor administration actions.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by nomaxim View Post
    Per his website at http://fredpardes.com/ he retired from practicing law effective 30SEP2017.

He is still listed as active by the California State Bar. His record also shows no disciplinary nor administration actions.
    Hah! Great investigatory work.
    Cat Police - SF

Yelp also reports the business location as closed.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/pardes-and-...apc-dana-point

This showed up over at Trustpilot around the same time as the OP.
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/fredpardes.com;
    Name:  fredpardes.1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  113.7 KB
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

when dealing with legal maters, I advise AGAINST dealing with people referred to you by friends at social or religious outfits. best bet speak with the state bar association most states have a consumer referral with an 800 number call them its usually free and they give you 3 names in your zip code depending upon the type of case. you want the state bar not a local county bar. usually the first 20 minutes consultation is FREE after that they discuss retainer etc. so speak with California state bar call this number to file complaint about this Fred Pardes 1-800-843-9053

to get a lawyer to handle the case then send email at LRS@calbar.ca.gov or call in California 1-866-442-2529 or out of state 1-415-538-2250
    so 1) file complaint
    and
    2) get a new lawyer to handle the case about the tenant

Quote Originally Posted by ronsonm View Post
    In early 2017 my husband and I purchased a small multi-family 5-unit property. We subsequently learned that the seller had failed to make the legally required disclosures under California state law regarding asbestos, lead paint and some other issues. My husband and I being totally naive first time commercial real estate investors did not do the due diligence that we should have. Fast forward to early 2018 and we found ourselves being sued by one of our tenants due to the hazardous materials in the building that we were not even aware of.

After researching the law we discovered we have a valid legal claim against the seller of the property so we began looking for a lawyer to represent us. Shortly thereafter we were introduced to Fred Pardes through a friend we know through our church. Fred seemed like a very nice man in the beginning. In February 2018, we decided to hire Fred. He assured us we had an open and shut case that would be very easy to win. He asked us for a $5,000 retainer which he thought should be sufficient to reach a settlement that would allow us to come out ahead even after dealing with the lawsuit filed against us by our tenant.

After approximately four weeks Fred notified us that he was unable to reach a settlement with the sellers and that they were unwilling to even discuss it. He advised us to go to trial and requested an additional $10,000 to file the suit. We reluctantly agreed.

Over the next six months Fred continued to bill us for numerous additional hours at an hourly rate of $400 while making excusse about how the case was more complicated than originally anticipated but at the same time assuring us that our case was slowly working its way through the legal system. Nine months in my husband and I did an accounting of everything paid to date and were shocked to discover it came to $37,200.

At this point we decided to take matters into our own hands and try to do some detective work regarding the status of the case. We have a friend that's a paralegal and knew how to check the public court records. We were shocked to discover that Fred padres never even filed our case! We immediately demanded an explanation we have yet to receive. For the last few weeks, Fred Pardes has been simply stone walling us and we have been unable to locate him. For all we know he's sitting on beach somewhere in South America enjoying our money.

Now we are left with the original two lawsuits to deal with plus a case of fraud against Fred Pardes!

Please avoid this con artist at all costs. I would hate to think that the same might happen to someone else. This man has no morals!
    Seems like a call to the California Bar would be a logical next step.

There are so many fake people.
    So must be careful.
    Last edited by DENNY17; 11-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.