+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Lawyers - Why am I fighting two battles?

and as a side note.......did you describe the 2 battles you are fighting!?and you used the term "YOU".and then karma,and then disatisfaction(cant get no)hehe!!sorry to be the JERK!? around here!?believe me.i did not choose it by choice!?hehe!!i would never imply someone else go thru ANYTHING i am not goin/been thru myself!/hehe!!just for the record..........so get serious or ignore me!?just askin...

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    Hire out of town talent...lawyers that don't know the defendant's lawyers and don't care what the judge thinks.

Try Gerry Spence. He's very expensive but very good.
    hey MR. knows and sees all............what's next weeks winning lottery ticket!?and what's it gonna cost me!?hehe!!just askin like a FOOL!?you know who you are!?hehe!!.........

Lexx - I love you, still......in spite of the fact that you have the attention span of a two year old----and---- you seem to enjoy screwing up productive conversations. Button has the knowledge I seek. Please, please, please- cut me some slack! Tell ya what - you post a thread and I promise to reply to every post you make. Just leave this one alone, unless you have something relative to the problem. You must know that your comic contributions are not very funny to people in trouble. I'll thank you in advance - you're online - so I'll watch for your thread. Hugs and Kisses XXXOOOXXX

ROFL. I can't help but feel like linda is Lexx's mother, and Lexx is 5. Is anyone else getting that image?

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    ROFL. I can't help but feel like linda is Lexx's mother, and Lexx is 5. Is anyone else getting that image?
    look!linda has a groupy!?hehe!!

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    Lexx - I love you, still......in spite of the fact that you have the attention span of a two year old----and---- you seem to enjoy screwing up productive conversations. Button has the knowledge I seek. Please, please, please- cut me some slack! Tell ya what - you post a thread and I promise to reply to every post you make. Just leave this one alone, unless you have something relative to the problem. You must know that your comic contributions are not very funny to people in trouble. I'll thank you in advance - you're online - so I'll watch for your thread. Hugs and Kisses XXXOOOXXX
    i dont have a clue what this means!?(i'm lying!?)hehe!!i guess we live in different realitys!? (i dont have 1!?)hehe!!therefore i should go away and behave!?hehe!!can you send any money to make this more attractive!?hehe!!just askin.....but as to advice of a more practical nature......be a BEOTCH(with the lawyers)or take it in the WRONG place!?or GET REMARRIED!?and leave the fightin to the MEN!?hehe!!just askin.......

Button - Thanks for your reply (really,I'm at the end of my rope) - your advice, given your knowledge and experience, would be extremely helpful. My current lawyers tells me (now) that only "personal injury" cases are taken on a "contingency basis" because they're sure to get money (here in Canada). Initially, the previous firm did agree to contingency - they were not bound by that agreement and opted out - and yes, they did write-off a portion of their fees. This is such a nightmare. If I could have my case heard - I have these scumbags dead in the water! I'm caught up in the paperwork and red tape. The defendant's lawyers seem to be more savy than mine (all of mine). Their hourly rate ($175 - $300/hr) doesn't seem to mean a thing in termsterms of competance. I don't expect any lawyer should win my case because of the money I've paid into this venture. I've spent over $80,000. - and nearly 7 years have passed. Witnesses are disappearing and dying. The facts are becoming cloudy -and hard to prove- as a result. I believe I still have more than enough evidence to prove my case. I know I do. My case has been struck (thrown out). The reason - contempt of court - I failed to respond to undertakings. Actually, I did respond to all. Seems my answers were not acceptable. My lawyer (he's about 50) didn't bother to tell me that (although he did bill me). Filing a complaint is a seperate issue. It doesn't repeal the judgement.
    I need to file an appeal on the "case management decision to strike the case". My current lawyer requests that I file it myself and seek new representation. I know enough to know "only an idiot would represent themselves in court". (However, if I murder someone, I will represent myself - given the average 7 year sentence - if I had shot the bastards I'd be free and still have money in the bank (not very funny, but very true). I would probably have a trade courtesy of the government!!! Okay, it's starting to sound good, now. I wouldn't shoot anyone, unless they were messing with my kids............said enough for now.
    Last edited by linda49; 07-19-2006 at 07:20 AM.

I'm sorry you can't find an attorney to take it on a contingent manner, that's usually the way we do it in NC. Sometimes (if it's not cut and dry and basically requires proving another claim like yours) we will review it for about $2,000.00 and after that, if we think we can prove it and win the client money, we will put it on a contingent basis. That way even if the client doesn't get any money from it, they will at least have the peace of mind of knowing whether or not the claim had merit. This is really important in med malpractice cases. People are willing to spend a little money to find out if their was indeed malpractice, instead of just speculation so they can have closure in the death of a loved one.

I wouldn't spend too much more money on this. I don't know how the statue of limitations works in Canada, and like you said, witnesses are dying and moving. Also, if the claim has already been dimissed, another attorney may not want to take it, thinking there is no merit. I would call around about the legal malpractice though. There may be a possiblity of filing a claim (or the lawyers knowing they did wrong and settling with you via their malpractice insurance). But you never know and $80,000.00 is a lot of money to have already spent. When you factor that in, plus the cost to have the claim reviewed again, attorney fee's etc. - well you get the point. As my boss says, you don't want to win the battle but lose the war.

Even if you don't have any success with malpractice - if you really feel you were done wrong, definately report it to the bar! Other people need to know about this. There's no point in paying a lawyer to mumble like an idiot on your behalf in front of a judge!

Good luck.

Button - Thanks for your concern - your recommendations are great. I really appreciate your time, expertise and understanding.

I've checked into the malpractice - requires paying another lawyer $250/hr and they're not really "hot" on the idea (judicial review).
    I can lodge a complaint with the law society - for failing to properly represent me - result would be a reprimand or small fine (disbarred seems to be limited to absconding with funds in trust (large amounts) or extreme conflict of interest (as in the lawyer benefited financially from the breach). No money involved.
    "Judicial Review" requires that I pay the estimated court costs up front (thousands) and they will review the lawyers billing. The costs of the review are unrecoverable. Since judges are lawyers - it doesn't bode well. End result - he may have to refund some money to me. (Try getting another lawyer, after that...ha ha....)

Darn, I'm considered to be a very good host (my friends love my parties) - I really wish I could have served you some fancy appetizers and cheese with this "whine"!

I guess you are stuck. Too bad someone wouldn't take it on contingent fee. The legal system can be great for some, but when you get screwed by your lawyer, it can be hard to get retribution.

I do hope you will file complaint with bar. Who knows maybe you'll keep someone else from being screwed.

At least you will know, that people get what's comming to them somewhere along the line. I just hope you'll get to witness it!

as a finall note i say.......get the ultimate helmsley revenge.......marry the partner and then the lawyer,cleaning,gleaning your losses as you go!?hehe!!just askin......