+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    29

    effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    The US has left the Human Rights Council, claiming that it "is "hypocritical and self-serving" and "makes a mockery of human rights"" after complaining over the last year that is has significant anti-Israel bias. So, is any of that true? Regardless of whether it is, what are the short, middle, and long-term effects of the US's exit from the council?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    33

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    The problem with the US being involved in the UN and the various councils and bodies associated with the UN is that we end up basically funding a large sum of the activities. The United States in 2017 paid for 22% of the entire UN budget (comes out to roughly 10 Billion dollars), which is a waste for an organization that doesn’t have that much influence or power as stated. However, I do agree it’s a dumb decision to leave this particular council due to the ramifications from the international community...Although Afghanistan and China are both members of the Human rights council as well, which again supports your point that the human rights council doesn’t necessarily care about human rights and just being a member doesn’t ensure human rights will be protected in that country.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    29

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    The problem with the US being involved in the UN and the various councils and bodies associated with the UN is that we end up basically funding a large sum of the activities. The United States in 2017 paid for 22% of the entire UN budget (comes out to roughly 10 Billion dollars), which is a waste for an organization that doesn’t have that much influence or power as stated. However, I do agree it’s a dumb decision to leave this particular council due to the ramifications from the international community...Although Afghanistan and China are both members of the Human rights council as well, which again supports your point that the human rights council doesn’t necessarily care about human rights and just being a member doesn’t ensure human rights will be protected in that country.
    Isn't that pretty much the exact reason they stated for leaving? Shit nations can get around human rights by joining the council and being one of the "good guys"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    33

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
    Isn't that pretty much the exact reason they stated for leaving? Shit nations can get around human rights by joining the council and being one of the "good guys"
    Still, leaving over something that has been obvious for a long time is still petty and pointless especially when America's allies did not join them in leaving and the US government still explicitly claims to uphold human rights.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    29

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Still, leaving over something that has been obvious for a long time is still petty and pointless especially when America's allies did not join them in leaving and the US government still explicitly claims to uphold human rights.
    Yea I can see that side of things for sure. At the same time we've complained about this that or the other thing for decades. And the moment we decide to play hardball with some shit we're treated like lunatics. NAFTA was a biggie for me, I recall yeaaars of complaints about jobs going over seas and how horrible NAFTA and other trade agreements are. Wanna actually try and do something for the country? Fuck off you're a maniac lol. (Note im no economics professional about any of that shit and don't pretend to be. Just saying)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    23

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    UN as an overall institution is discredited by limited US withdrawal. Taken together with some considerable self inflicted wounds; this enhances the perception that the liberal strand of IR theory is in retreat (again), feeding the narrative that the UN could eventually become League Of Nations 2.0.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    33

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    UN as an overall institution is discredited by limited US withdrawal. Taken together with some considerable self inflicted wounds; this enhances the perception that the liberal strand of IR theory is in retreat (again), feeding the narrative that the UN could eventually become League Of Nations 2.0.


    Maybe the UN Human Rights Council is discredited.Why on earth do you think the UN as a whole is discredited?We haven't withdrawn from any of the principal organs of the UN (beyond, of course, the International Court of Justice that we left awhile back), especially not the most important part, the Security Council.

  8. 06-21-2018, 11:44 PM


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    23

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post

    Maybe the UN Human Rights Council is discredited.Why on earth do you think the UN as a whole is discredited?We haven't withdrawn from any of the principal organs of the UN (beyond, of course, the International Court of Justice that we left awhile back), especially not the most important part, the Security Council.

    The UN is an institution which strives toward a set of ideals. For the most part, because of the imperfect realities, these ideals are largely aspirational (even in Western states themselves).
    This is to say that in opting to provide basic universal human rights and more, the UN has established for itself a monumentally difficult set of tasks (that might ultimately prove beyond its capabilities).

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    16

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    The UN strives for Western ideals. I'm not remotely sure most of the non Western influenced members car a lick for them and probably are only involved with the UN because they must be do to US influence or of they think they can get some use out of it.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    29

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    It seems like you are considering the US withdrawal from the HRC without the context.
    Showing support for valid parts of the UN, and removing support for invalid parts is not a bad thing, and does not significantly weaken the strength of the important parts of the UN, but forces reform

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    23

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    I struggle to accept that the reason for the US withdrawal is based on anything other than self interest (or lack thereof) in perpetuating the professed values/ambitions of the HRC. Trump seems content to use allies in whatever way whenever it suits him, and discard them if they ever dare show anything other than blind deference.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    33

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    I struggle to accept that the reason for the US withdrawal is based on anything other than self interest (or lack thereof) in perpetuating the professed values/ambitions of the HRC. Trump seems content to use allies in whatever way whenever it suits him, and discard them if they ever dare show anything other than blind deference.


    Let me ask for your personal opinion, then, to find us a middleground on this topic.Do you think the HRC has an Anti-Israeli bias such that they are disproportionately targeting Israel?And if so, do you think this bias has lessened significantly in the past year?

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    23

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post

    Let me ask for your personal opinion, then, to find us a middleground on this topic.Do you think the HRC has an Anti-Israeli bias such that they are disproportionately targeting Israel?And if so, do you think this bias has lessened significantly in the past year?
    I concede the point that Israel has faced many judgments from the HRC. For the purpose of this discussion, lets go further and say that the body itself has malicious intent against Israel.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    33

    Re: effects of the US leaving the UN Human Rights Council

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    I concede the point that Israel has faced many judgments from the HRC. For the purpose of this discussion, lets go further and say that the body itself has malicious intent against Israel.


    So you don't personally believe there is a significant Anti-Israeli bias on the council such that it is disproportionately targeting Israel? Despite the clear evidence that literally proves this?But, sure, let's go forward with the understanding that there is for this discussion.

Similar Threads

  1. United Nations Human Rights Council
    By themathprof in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2016, 10:52 AM
  2. U.N. Human Rights Council to Take Aim at U.S.
    By DoubleP in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM
  3. Arizona vs. the U.N. Human Rights Police
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM
  4. Human rights violation? HARDLY!!
    By Yeah Well Fine Then in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 03:07 PM
  5. UN Watch blasts UN Human Rights Council
    By Grim17 in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 05:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •