+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSF and diploma mills?

Hello. I just got accepted into Washington University's Olin School of Business. I'm planning on doing the MS in Finance with a focus on Asset Management.
    They have other specialties like Quant Finance and Global Finance but I didn't apply because I didn't think I'd get in with my low math GMAT score (English score was very high just FYI).
    The tuition is $65k total. Should I go? I already work in asset management in the Complaince arena but was hoping that I could get into Equity Research, Credit Research, Investment Strategy or Trading, and get a nice salary boost. The typical route is to take the CFA but I'm not confident I can pass... I'm very bad at standardized tests but I do very well on HW, projects, presentations etc so I forsee myself doing well in grad school.
    Any value to this degree or just a diploma mill that'll leave me jobless??? Salaries don't look that great based on the report.
    Olin employment report is here: https://olincareers.wustl.edu/SiteCo...mentReport.pdf

Re: MSF and diploma mills?

I'm sure you already have, but it should be pretty simple to make sure its a sound financial investment. $65k is a lot of money... is the pay bump going to be high enough to make it worthwhile? Or could you get to the same career eventually with more work-experience and passing a couple tests?

Just be sure you don't underestimate grad school. There are plenty of examinations there and lots of late nights, especially if you're working and going to school

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    Just be sure you don't underestimate grad school. There are plenty of examinations there and lots of late nights, especially if you're working and going to school
    It is definitely hard but possible. CFA is a gamble with my test history. I was told at Olin you've to work hard for an A, if you do the minimal work you'll get a B. And only circumstance in which you'll get a C is if you don't try at all. I'm confident I can get B's (worse case scenario) but I will definitely be aiming for A's.
    Will be challenging nonetheless.

Do you have $65k in the bank?

Will your company pay $65k to get a MSF?

What's the ROI on this degree? if it bumps your income potential up dramatically and allows you to pay off loans in a few years, maybe worth it. if the jobs with that degree top out at $75k, maybe not worth it.

The company will pay for it over time (that's how they make sure you don't leave i.e. by paying $5000 per year, so it'll take 13 years to pay off $65k).

Assuming I can switch departments in my company the pay bump would be significant: $20 or $30k per year at least (above six figures).

If I switch to a different company the pay bump would not be great as average starting salary is $80k for thier MSF grads.

That is a joke of an educational reimbursement program.

I wouldn't. Moving from $1k to $0 (while I'm in my MS, right before they were going to reimburse me) tells me they don't give a shit about my efforts, which they're benefiting from. Ironic, since I'm at an education-industry company. It's been a huge sore spot for me ever since they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    I wouldn't. Moving from $1k to $0 (while I'm in my MS, right before they were going to reimburse me) tells me they don't give a shit about my efforts, which they're benefiting from. Ironic, since I'm at an education-industry company. It's been a huge sore spot for me ever since they did it.
    What are you getting your MS in?

First MS was in Finance. Second MS is in computer science, specializing in machine learning. I graduate in December. Meanwhile, I work as a data scientist currently.

Nice!!! Ah seriously I wonder if these days one is better off with a Machine Learning, Math, or Data Science degree in the finance field, than a Finance degree.

Probably. IMO it's easier to pick up the finance than the necessary ML/programming knowledge to be relevant. I don't have useful experience though on that front.

Do you think it matters what school you get a STEM degree from or are most employers so desperate that they'll take anyone with a STEM Masters and a pulse?

Sorry, not certain. I'm getting my MS in CS online from Georgia Tech, which is a top CS school. It's an unbeatable offering right now. $7,000 for the whole program, same diploma as on campus. No opportunity for research, but you can work full time concurrently which is a huge plus from an opportunity cost point of view. I started as a software engineer the same month I started the program, and after a year I was able to move into a Data Scientist position.

Wow nice! 7k is an unbeatable price indeed. Good luck to you with your endeavors!

Also education visas are much easier to get than work visas, so it's a way to get their foot in the door of the US. I know people who come on an education visa and try to find a company to intern for that will get them a work visa.