+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

balancing a portfolio

I've just started out investing and I've picked a few recommended stocks. I keep hearing about the importance of diversifying. Can someone point me to a good, well-accepted strategy, for selecting creating a diversified portfolio?

Re: balancing a portfolio

Just buy the S&P 500 index, consistently, and don't worry about it. Spend your time doing what you do best, assuming you make a living doing that, then focus on your hobby in your off time.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    Just buy the S&P 500 index, consistently, and don't worry about it. Spend your time doing what you do best, assuming you make a living doing that, then focus on your hobby in your off time.
    And what if investing is my new hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    And what if investing is my new hobby?
    FWIW I only use "play money" on individual stocks. I contribute to my 401k, my Roth, and also hold mutual funds in my brokerage account. This is where the majority of my assets lie.

FWIW I only use "play money" on individual stocks. I contribute to my 401k, my Roth, and also hold mutual funds in my brokerage account. This is where the majority of my assets lie.
    If you don't count my company share participation plan, which I'll admit is a sizable chunk of my portfolio, this is only 2% of my overall portfolio, so I'm starting small, and it probably will stay that way.

That's like saying heart surgery is my new hobby.

Oh come on

That’s a dumb thing to say. I love investing and wild absolutely consider it a hobby.

That’s a dumb thing to say. I love investing and wild absolutely consider it a hobby.
    I get that it's complex but it's ridiculous to make it sound like only financial geniuses with multi-millions portfolios can invest.

And that's my thinking. Fuck people for saying it's impossible. It's not. Anyone can do it if you do the research and put in the time. Yes it's a lot of time and a lot of research but my financial well being is worth it.

exactly

Buy 2-3 mutual funds or ETFs and call it a day. If you're in your 20s, just buy SPY and don't look at it for 30-40 years. The vast majority of people will never have enough capital nor enough knowledge to create their own portfolio of individual stocks.

Buy 2-3 mutual funds or ETFs and call it a day. If you're in your 20s, just buy SPY and don't look at it for 30-40 years. The vast majority of people will never have enough capital nor enough knowledge to create their own portfolio of individual stocks.

I know all about ETFs. But what I want is a strategy for balancing a stock portfolio. And no disrespect intended, not to be told I can't do it.

Good luck then.

And here I thought I was asking a question in an investment forum.