+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: balancing a portfolio

You got an answer you didn't want to hear. ETFs and Mutual Funds are unbeatable ways to diversify any portfolio. You want to compete against people and computers that manage these portfolios that are 10000x smarter that you. I wont be the one to lead you down that path.TLDR: No you can't do it. You won't know enough, and you won't have enough capital to consistently beat index funds. Sorry to burst your bubble.

picking a few stocks is the complete opposite of diversification

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    picking a few stocks is the complete opposite of diversification

I'm aware of that, that's why I'm asking. You have to start with some stocks right? So how do I pick them so they form a diversified portfolio

You can't form a diversified portfolio with a few stocks. Also, the fees from rebalancing (even if you had enough stocks, say 500) at most brokerages will eat you alive. If you legitimately want to "rebalance" just a few stocks, then allocate your portfolio based on the % of each company's market cap. Buy/sell stocks each month to maintain this target allocation (same time, same day).

That was the idea. Also I'm using a discount brokerage, where it typically cost 5$ per transaction. And while that can add up, I am buying the stocks to hold them long terms, not to play at day trading. I am not planning on going crazy with this.

>Also, the fees from rebalancing (even if you had enough stocks, say 500) at most brokerages will eat you alive.Just use m1 finance if this is an issue. Automatically rebalances my portfolio of 100 stocks at no charge.

>Also, the fees from rebalancing (even if you had enough stocks, say 500) at most brokerages will eat you alive.

Just use m1 finance if this is an issue. Automatically rebalances my portfolio of 100 stocks at no charge.

A lot of the students tend to be foreign (often Chinese) who have money and are willing to pay for an American credential because it is very valuable when they return home to their native country (as they don't know the difference between the various programs). They tend to accept anybody who has halfway decent credentials and are willing to pay.