+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery market?

Battery market?

The battery industry has so much room to grow. There is a huge demand for longer lasting cell phone batteries and battery powered cars are not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
    I just bought some shares of ALB, a Lithium battery company that provides Tesla with materials. I know this isn't the best FA but the TA on the Weekly chart looks pretty strong.
    Any thoughts?

Re: Battery market?

You know what material battery-containing devices/cars use a lot more of? Copper. You know what growing economies use a lot of? Copper. You know what metal we already have a shortage of as opposed to may have a shortage of once EVs become commonplace? Copper

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    You know what material battery-containing devices/cars use a lot more of? Copper. You know what growing economies use a lot of? Copper. You know what metal we already have a shortage of as opposed to may have a shortage of once EVs become commonplace? Copper
    Alright, I’m convinced of a copper supply shortage in the near term, but what’s the investment play?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    Alright, I’m convinced of a copper supply shortage in the near term, but what’s the investment play?
    There's a couple of copper based ETFs if you are looking for straight equity. CUPR and COPX are both available. The most direct way to get into it would be futures but I know most of us don't really trade those. FCX is the largest publicly traded miner and they're based in the US so you can strip out geopolitical risk while still betting on copper prices going up.
    Edit: I realized after I posted this that the ETFs I listed are actually ETNs, so it's worth considering if you should use those or not.

If I think copper is going to have a supply crunch, how is QQQ related to that thesis?

Investing in Lithium is not the best way to gain exposure to the battery industry. There are plenty of other materials used in lithium batteries (Nickel, Graphite, Cobalt**) that have a better investment outlook than lithium. This article gives a good overview of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    Investing in Lithium is not the best way to gain exposure to the battery industry. There are plenty of other materials used in lithium batteries (Nickel, Graphite, Cobalt**) that have a better investment outlook than lithium. This article gives a good overview of the situation.

I was looking for a good graphite ticker but can't find a strong one. GRPH is too low of a price point. Any suggestions?

I just have a graphite mining company, but it's a penny stock

$LIT is one I’ve been investing in for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by DwCLorck View Post
    $LIT is one I’ve been investing in for awhile.
    Same, and $FMC

I can do some research but what drew you to LIT specifically?

It covers lithium miners as well as battery producers. It is probably a little too deep into lithium mining honestly, but at least gives exposure to companies like Panasonic and LG.