+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is AMAT down so much today? self.stocks

Want to buy a lot of it but don’t want to catch a falling knife. What’s in the news? What did they do?

Re: Why is AMAT down so much today? self.stocks

They released quarterly earnings - beat on EPS and revenue, but guidance was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClaw View Post
    They released quarterly earnings - beat on EPS and revenue, but guidance was poor.
    Guidance?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatz View Post
    Guidance?
    What they estimate will be their earnings for future quarters. In this case they had low expectations which caused the stock to drop.

I see thanks

Most welcome

It's not a falling knife. Good buying opportunity, good find. Hold and you'll do just fine. Applied Material is not one of those pump dump companies. They're very reputable and make good tech.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    It's not a falling knife. Good buying opportunity, good find. Hold and you'll do just fine. Applied Material is not one of those pump dump companies. They're very reputable and make good tech.

Agreed after reading the news . Thank you!

Seriously, if they close down tomorrow I would suggest buying calls. Tech has pretty much done the same thing for the last couple weeks, have great earnings, plunge anyway, then spike up.

Monday

Maybe not. Monday is mostly likely going to be a green day because of the possibility of a trade deal. If it's down a lot again (more then 1%) on a green day that's a very bad sign.

Do not buy it. The market has spoken. This company is a dog. Other chip makers have had good quarters and guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by DwCLorck View Post
    Do not buy it. The market has spoken. This company is a dog. Other chip makers have had good quarters and guidance.

Could you expand? I will also look into it more . Thank you

When companies miss earnings or give bad guidance and then the stock market hammers them these are companies you do not want to invest in. The big money has spoken, sentiment is bad, the stock is most likely going lower. If the stock market hammers a company even though the company had good earnings and guidance (which has happened many times this earnings season unusually) that's another story. That is probably a real opportunity. There have been many chip companies that have had good quarters and guidance this season (unlike AMAT, even though it makes the machinery that makes the chips). Those are the ones you want to buy on a pullback. Names at the top of my head? NVDA is the best in breed.

Quote Originally Posted by DwCLorck View Post
    When companies miss earnings or give bad guidance and then the stock market hammers them these are companies you do not want to invest in. The big money has spoken, sentiment is bad, the stock is most likely going lower. If the stock market hammers a company even though the company had good earnings and guidance (which has happened many times this earnings season unusually) that's another story. That is probably a real opportunity. There have been many chip companies that have had good quarters and guidance this season (unlike AMAT, even though it makes the machinery that makes the chips). Those are the ones you want to buy on a pullback. Names at the top of my head? NVDA is the best in breed.

You seem like a buy high sell low kinda guy

Not sure how you came away with that after reading what I said. I just started writing on /r/stocks the other day and I'm kind of surprised at the amount of people who disagree with me. Especially considering I'm one of the ones who does this for a living. The adage "go the way the herd isn't going" seems more true than ever.